January 6, 2021: Insurrection or “normal tourist” visitation?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: January 6, 2021: Insurrection or “normal tourist” visitation?

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:30 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:21 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:04 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:50 pm Yes, we do face an "existential threat"...to our democracy.
Is that a greater threat than all other threats? Nuclear war? Climate crisis?

I dunno, I'm willing to walk and chew gum, but it's way, way more serious than many would prefer...because they really don't care about the principles of democracy, all they care about is power and privilege for themselves. 40% of Republicans say they are willing to commit violence against their government, if they're not in power...power by whatever means necessary...85% say that Biden was not elected in a fair and accurate election. They believe the Big Lie.

And the way our social media and overall media landscape has balkanized, there really is the possibility that our divisions increase, not heal.

But sure, there's indeed hyper-partisan over reach from the left as well, a major contributing to factor to those divisions...However, I just don't see the same threat to democracy coming from that direction at this point.
It'll get better, we are country that always advances. We don't need all this negative-nelly crap. Sure we can talk about, but no need to talk it in to existence.
I, too, like to think positively...but I thought that the aftermath of Jan 6 was going to a major shift to the positive, leading to a rejection by the GOP, my party, of the worst impulses embraced and led by Trump, and a return to some sort of rational competition for voter support based on ideas and proposed solutions, not complete lies, fear and resentment.

Painfully, those worst impulses appear to have only grown stronger in the formal GOP and in the hardening of their base voters. It's really weird IMO, but I don't think we can pretend it away.

Now, I'd been predicting the autocratic impulses to worsen during the Trump Presidency, so I wasn't actually surprised, though horrified, by how it seemed to culminate in a crescendo down the final stretch...but I'd really hav thought that the spell would be broken...but it hasn't been.

So, was that just the beginning of something much worse?
I heard Adam Kinzinger speaking in detail about 6JAN last week and yesterday. We are coming out of the fog, we just have a handful of people that need a kick in the ass.

You'll have to remember why and how we got Trump....the left has not learned that lesson and continues to double down, they continually stoke the embers. I'd also encourage you to watch the 2nd setting of 60 minutes last night....good stuff is taking place.
That was indeed a really good piece (also enjoyed Tucker's interview!)...and I agree that if you get folks talking about their actual lives and cares, face to face, we find we like each other...

But that's the issue, there's very little of that happening and the hardening of views is getting weirder and weirder.

I just don't think that ignoring it will work.
We can't pretend that the GOP has made this choice, doubled and tripled down on this choice.

I think Biden actually had the right instinct that what the country needed was a common foe, the pandemic, and that addressing the pocket book challenges of the working class, middle Americans, was the right path to eventually finding common ground...but this whole effort to delegitimize him and his Presidency, to delegitimize our voting process and democracy itself, the Big Lie, has very deep, serious implications.

And yeah, I think the Russians and others have been pushing us to devolve as hard as they could.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:37 pm
dislaxxic wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:15 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:14 pm White supremacists, Jan 6 participants. Voter suppressionists. Trump supporters. And those not vaccinated. And legal gun owners. And those not boosted soon enough. etc. etc.

Yes, the existential threat is right here at our doorsteps. The country's greatest threats are none other than domestic. As Kamala said this is JUST like Pearl Harbor and 9-11. And as the activity of this thread shows- some actually believe it. Historical ignorance and hyper-partisan overreach, aside.

But will it be enough to help in the mid terms?

:lol:
Is the Big Lie a real thing, Do YOU believe it's a lie? Did Biden win the election or didn't he?
yes, Biden won under the covid emerg rules, put in place at the last minute. Biden may well have won anyway.

Are you comfortable with the level of buy-in by rank and file republicans that the Big Lie is, in fact, a lie??
No, that is why I want to return to pre-covid emerg election rules, so that will no longer be an issue to cast doubt.

How bout you OS? Same questions. youthathletics? tech??

You seem to be implying that the COVID rules resulted in more votes, indeed more votes for Biden, than might otherwise have happened. Not sure whether Biden would have won, had there been less voting. Might have.

Were these fraudulently cast votes? dead people, non-citizens...phony, made up out of whole cloth...or just more voters voting?

You want fewer votes cast?

Or less lies about fraud?
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:14 pm White supremacists, Jan 6 participants. Voter suppressionists. Trump supporters. And those not vaccinated. And legal gun owners. And those not boosted soon enough. etc. etc.

Yes, the existential threat is right here at our doorsteps. The country's greatest threats are none other than domestic. As Kamala said this is JUST like Pearl Harbor and 9-11. And as the activity of this thread shows- some actually believe it. Historical ignorance and hyper-partisan overreach, aside.

Is the Big Lie a real thing, Do YOU believe it's a lie? Did Biden win the election or didn't he?
yes, Biden won under the covid emerg rules, put in place at the last minute. Biden may well have won anyway.

Are you comfortable with the level of buy-in by rank and file republicans that the Big Lie is, in fact, a lie??
No, that is why I want to return to pre-covid emerg election rules, so that will no longer be an issue to cast doubt.

Arguing the counterfactual? Hmm.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Keep downplaying it, as long as you can "own" the Vice President. These milestone dates are different, but January 6 may end up being our November 8, 1923, if folks continue to stand on the sidelines, blowing their false equivalencies, insisting that "Biden bad," etc. You got yours; who cares about the future, right?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:14 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:07 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:50 pm Yes, we do face an "existential threat"...to our democracy.

I dunno, I'm willing to walk and chew gum, but it's way, way more serious than many would prefer...because they really don't care about the principles of democracy, all they care about is power and privilege for themselves. 40% of Republicans say they are willing to commit violence against their government, if they're not in power...power by whatever means necessary...85% say that Biden was not elected in a fair and accurate election. They believe the Big Lie.

And the way our social media and overall media landscape has balkanized, there really is the possibility that our divisions increase, not heal.

But sure, there's indeed hyper-partisan over reach from the left as well, a major contributing to factor to those divisions...However, I just don't see the same threat to democracy coming from that direction at this point.
It'll get better, we are country that always advances. We don't need all this negative-nelly crap. Sure we can talk about, but no need to talk it in to existence.
Struthian problem solving?
You and Kamala would get along great.
Like I said, it’s “always” until it isn’t!

https://twitter.com/espn/status/1480343 ... 66120?s=21
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:43 pm

You seem to be implying that the COVID rules resulted in more votes, indeed more votes for Biden, than might otherwise have happened. Not sure whether Biden would have won, had there been less voting. Might have.

Were these fraudulently cast votes? dead people, non-citizens...phony, made up out of whole cloth...or just more voters voting?

I'm not implying anything -- changes in the rules, in a few swing states, is the basis for claims of illegitimacy.

I want to eliminate the basis for the Big Lie, reduce the potential for fraud & reassure the doubters.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:49 pm

Agreed..its how I am looking it, we had a problem that was revealed on 6Jan, we are learning from it, and moving on; progress. "Optimism, is a force multiplier" ~ Colin Powell.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:13 pm
a fan wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:57 am
old salt wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:20 am
Kismet wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:39 am
old salt wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:53 am Imagine what Mayor Daley could have done with mail-in ballots, bundlers, drop boxes, felons & non-citizens voting.
The point was he likely did it without your red herring....which is exactly why your absentee ballot rants here are nothing more than that. 6-7 states do essentially ALL ballots by mail and to date there have no credible cases of significant fraud (except by Republicans in NC).

You ignored the second question - if all these unsolicited mail ballots contained boatloads of fraud how is it that nobody ever mentions the results of all the other races on the SAME BALLOTS where Republicans actually gained seats in the House.
Al Franken & others.

https://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/pe ... oter-fraud

https://www.marshallnewsmessenger.com/v ... 037b8.html

https://nypost.com/2020/08/29/political ... n-ballots/
Aaaaaaand you're right back to claiming our entire election system is fraudulent. That didn't take long.
Mr. All-or-Nothing's perfect-enemy-of-good circular logic, yet again.
There will always be some level of fraud.
You don't even know what circular logic is, Mr. "I don't really think there's fraud, but I'm going to pretend it's rampant anyway."
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:50 pm

I'm not implying anything -- changes in the rules, in a few swing states, is the basis for claims of illegitimacy.
No, it's not. You're lying. Again.

The basis for illegitimacy is that Trump lost. No other part of any State's ballots from the 2020 are deemed illegitimate...and you're intentionally lying here, pretending that you don't know that.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Is the Big Lie a real thing, Kram? Do YOU believe it's a lie? Did Biden win the election or didn't he? Are you comfortable with the level of buy-in by rank and file republicans that the Big Lie is, in fact, a lie??

Yes, Biden clearly won the election. As a rank and file republican I'm comfortable with and have a significant level of trust in the election and the results.

But the Big Lie is a thing like a perceived conflict of interest is a 'thing' if people THINK it is a thing. I personally don't think it's smart to give it the time of day or seriousness that many here are. I think the left's continued focus on it is giving a dumb group credence, legitimacy and life.

It seems like there is limited trust of the government on the protestor's side. Very similar to many other protests of significance throughout the country's history. The left wants to spin it all on Trump. But regardless if they were fueled by idiocy, Russian disinformation, or Trump's encouragement, a lot of people were motivated enough to act dumb. Condemn those actions with me. But understand there's more to it and it's a problem, if people were willing to act the fool and the left continues to show it as a real movement.

History has shown us that protests happen, insurrections happen, and have been catalysts for major change in our country. Have those people in history who protested ever represented the beliefs of the majority of the country? Or even their "side?" Probably not. But they acted and something happened.

But the US has a history of protest and insurrection. Some people are content with the government/system we currently have. This may have showed us that a lot of people are not happy. Didn't the BLM protests teach us anything?

Just because you think things are fine the way they, are, doesn't mean the whole country agrees. If it's significant it will get traction. If it's not, it will disappear in a few months.
a fan

Post by a fan »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:37 pm Yes, Biden clearly won the election. As a rank and file republican I'm comfortable with and have a significant level of trust in the election and the results.

But the Big Lie is a thing like a perceived conflict of interest is a 'thing' if people THINK it is a thing. I personally don't think it's smart to give it the time of day or seriousness that many here are. I think the left's continued focus on it is giving a dumb group credence, legitimacy and life.
If the Republicans in power weren't making severe changes to our elections, I'd agree with you.

That's not what's happening....they're restricting voting INTENTIONALLY, using the stupid claims of election security as the fake reason why. They're also playing games within a few State's Sec of State (or the Dept. that manages elections), and Republican judges are ruling these changes are valid CITING the Big Lie as to why the restriction of voting is ok.

This intentional voter suppression would normally make Americans like you livid. But you're brushing it off....why? More to the point---have you noticed Dems aren't retaliating, as is their judge-approved right to do so? Why aren't Colorado Dems, for example, playing this game, and removing absentee ballot boxes in Republican counties?

Your team is holding the low ground here. It's beneath you and your fellow Republican voters.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisondurk ... 71e01e6c68
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:31 pm
old salt wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:50 pm

No, it's not. You're lying. Again.

The basis for illegitimacy is that Trump lost. No other part of any State's ballots from the 2020 are deemed illegitimate...and you're intentionally lying here, pretending that you don't know that.
Lying ? :shock: ....the basis for stop the steal is election fraud in key swing states where the election rules were changed due to the covid emerg -- those are the states to which the Congress members objected. Return to pre-covid emerg rules & make the ECA more specific -- you remove the bases for the stolen election claim.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:51 pm Lying ? :shock: ....the basis for stop the steal is election fraud in key swing states where the election rules were changed due to the covid emerg -- those are the states to which the Congress members objected.
And now we've arrived, again, at Kismet's question----that you're avoiding:

If the Republicans in those key swing States claim the ballots in those States were illegitimate, explain why the Republican "winners" in those States took their seats, without hesitation?
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

a fan wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:55 pm
old salt wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:51 pm Lying ? :shock: ....the basis for stop the steal is election fraud in key swing states where the election rules were changed due to the covid emerg -- those are the states to which the Congress members objected.

If the Republicans in those key swing States claim the ballots in those States were illegitimate, explain why the Republican "winners" in those States took their seats, without hesitation?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:10 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:49 pm

Agreed..its how I am looking it, we had a problem that was revealed on 6Jan, we are learning from it, and moving on; progress. "Optimism, is a force multiplier" ~ Colin Powell.
I prefer action over words.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Hugo Chavez did it, from the grave, with Soros’s help.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Which members of Congress objected to certifying the electoral votes from their home state ?
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:38 pm

Which members of Congress objected to certifying the electoral votes from their home state ?
Still avoiding the question.....this time pretending that you don't understand the question. Neat-o.

Questions are hard, I'm not unsympathetic.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

old salt wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:38 pm

https://www.vox.com/2021/1/6/22218058/r ... on-results

Here’s the full list of members of the Senate and House who objected to Arizona’s or Pennsylvania’s results (or both).

Looks like 3 House Members from AZ and 9 from PA objected to their state's submission of electoral votes....along with a boatload of others in House and 8 Senators (none from AZ or PA). All Republicans.

Under the current ECA only one member from Both the House and Senate can prompt debate on electoral count.
Last edited by Kismet on Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

a fan wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:31 pm

Hillary said, "Trump knows he's an illegitimate president...There were many funny things that happened in my election. That will not happen again."

Lets not forget the previous losing side spearheaded contentious investigations about an anomalous election that lasted 3 years. And yielded little of substance.

But NOW things have gone too far. There is a “threat to democracy" and a questioning of elections that Trump, and his side alone, inspired.

:?

Return to “POLITICS”