D1 Womens Lacrosse
8meterPA

Here we go again?

Post by 8meterPA »

Figured I'd stir the pot a bit...

Uconn
Georgetown
F&M

Announced that they are pushing back move in dates and going to remote learning for at least the first 2 weeks until 1/31. Not sure how that impacts spring practices which are supposed to start the week of 1/17.

My kid was just notified that everyone needs proof of being boosted before returning to school.
LoriML60

Re: Here we go again?

Post by LoriML60 »

Unfortunately, this is old news for my daughter's school (GW) who will have virtual learning until 1/17. Proof of boosters need to be uploaded by 1/10 and we still do not have a posted schedule. Move in is not delayed and in person classes are to start on the 18th.🤞🏻
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

Good sign for the Ivys? Harvard releases schedule

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYME0-NLGV ... =copy_link
ProudPapa

Post by ProudPapa »

How can you expect young people to play lacrosse when there is a chance that old people with pre-existing conditions might get sick somewhere else?
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

ProudPapa wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:23 am How can you expect young people to play lacrosse when there is a chance that old people with pre-existing conditions might get sick somewhere else?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

ProudPapa wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:23 am How can you expect young people to play lacrosse when there is a chance that old people with pre-existing conditions might get sick somewhere else?
👏👏 These last two years defined in a nutshell right here.
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

This is a joke, right? Proof of boosters for young people? How about those who have had covid and from that now have higher immunity? Insanity.
People who have been vaccinated can get covid. What science are we now using, political science? Apparently these additional shots may have more adverse affect on myocarditis. No one is concerned about this? Why are we giving young people, especially athletes additional shots?
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

livelovelax wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:57 am This is a joke, right? Proof of boosters for young people? How about those who have had covid and from that now have higher immunity? Insanity.
People who have been vaccinated can get covid. What science are we now using, political science? Apparently these additional shots may have more adverse affect on myocarditis. No one is concerned about this? Why are we giving young people, especially athletes additional shots?
Obviously they all know better than us. :D
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

TNLAX wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:22 am
livelovelax wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:57 am This is a joke, right? Proof of boosters for young people? How about those who have had covid and from that now have higher immunity? Insanity.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... COVID.html

It’s crazy….mental health repercussions of some of these mandated bans……feel so badly for these college students . School
Is stressful enough !
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

Yes, younger, healthy individuals who were never at risk of suffering serious side effects from covid to begin with, should most definitely not be required to get the covid vaccines... let alone be mandated to take additional doses of this experimental drug. Appears to be something more sinister going on all with all of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onPR0E5WIAg
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

laxer12 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:15 pm
Yes, younger, healthy individuals who were never at risk of suffering serious side effects from covid to begin with, should most definitely not be required to get the covid vaccines... let alone be mandated to take additional doses of this experimental drug. Appears to be something more sinister going on all with all of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onPR0E5WIAg
I don't think it is anything more sinister than the drug companies just wanting to make more profits. They have a lot of influence in Washington DC and over the media. Big Pharma is not the most moralistic industries out there.

My wife and I really enjoyed the series on HULU, Dope Sick. It is based on a book written about Purdue Pharma and oxycontin. Cant say how accurate the series is, but it is eye opening and set at a fast pace. Good for binge watching on a cold winter weekend.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

Laxfan500 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:36 pm
TNLAX wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:22 am
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... COVID.html

It’s crazy….mental health repercussions of some of these mandated bans……feel so badly for these college students . School
Is stressful enough !
Maybe Yale just wants to put all the local businesses around their campus out of business, then use some of their extensive endowments funds to buy up the real-estate on the cheap and then re-develop the area into a more university friendly neighborhood.
LaxThoughts

Post by LaxThoughts »

Sadly, not surprising from the Ivies and the rest of the "enlightened" ones. To the point of this forum, their athletes will continue to suffer needlessly.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

you folks are ohh so predictable.

My Ivy alma mater is in session, in-person classes, playing sports, seeing friends.

Had to be fully vaccinated before returning from holiday break, needed to be tested to begin to circulate, need to be boosted if eligible by Jan 31.

Kids are happy.

They're monitoring community positivity rates, campus positivity rates...emphasis on keeping COVID tamped is not as much about the students as it is about the faculty and staff who have higher vulnerability and lots of exposure to the students.

But nationwide, hospitalizations are up 65% over the past two weeks...now higher than the peak of Delta surge and growing fast. Whine all you want, but some of us are taxpayers and insurance payers and have to pay for all those hospitalizations. And some of us are concerned that if we or a loved one, including our kids, has another health issue, accident, etc the access to care may be limited or even blocked if hospitalizations spike too much.

Hopefully this surge will pass in the next month, vaccinations and booster rates will continue to improve, natural immunity will be conferred as well, and the pending pill therapies will be effective in reducing hospitalization if infected.

It's likely this will be an endemic issue, with management becoming a normal and straightforward routine rather than these major shocks.

Think positive, you'll sleep better.
smoova

Post by smoova »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:00 pm Think positive, you'll sleep better.
If you're looking to change minds, this kind of sign-off is not helpful.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:00 pm you folks are ohh so predictable.

My Ivy alma mater is in session, in-person classes, playing sports, seeing friends.

Had to be fully vaccinated before returning from holiday break, needed to be tested to begin to circulate, need to be boosted if eligible by Jan 31.

Kids are happy.

They're monitoring community positivity rates, campus positivity rates...emphasis on keeping COVID tamped is not as much about the students as it is about the faculty and staff who have higher vulnerability and lots of exposure to the students.

But nationwide, hospitalizations are up 65% over the past two weeks...now higher than the peak of Delta surge and growing fast. Whine all you want, but some of us are taxpayers and insurance payers and have to pay for all those hospitalizations. And some of us are concerned that if we or a loved one, including our kids, has another health issue, accident, etc the access to care may be limited or even blocked if hospitalizations spike too much.

Hopefully this surge will pass in the next month, vaccinations and booster rates will continue to improve, natural immunity will be conferred as well, and the pending pill therapies will be effective in reducing hospitalization if infected.

It's likely this will be an endemic issue, with management becoming a normal and straightforward routine rather than these major shocks.

Your comments would be much better suited in the COVID thread, there's plenty of people yelling at one another over there.

Starting a post with "you folks" and ending with "you'll sleep better" isn't a very well crafted persuasive argument and comes across as elitist. You won't change many opinions that way.

Thank you
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

8meterPA wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:38 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:00 pm you folks are ohh so predictable.

Kids are happy.

Your comments would be much better suited in the COVID thread, there's plenty of people yelling at one another over there.

Starting a post with "you folks" and ending with "you'll sleep better" isn't a very well crafted persuasive argument and comes across as elitist. You won't change many opinions that way.

Thank you
:D did you read the preceding thread at all? The "pot" you "stirred"???

Nary a one positive about the likelihood of playing ball, going to school, enjoying friends, all gripes and whines. And some specifically pointed at Ivies. EDIT: correction, justalaxdad did post Harvard's schedule as a potential positive sign...but was ignored.

That's what I responded to, the series of negative posts.

And yeah, I think looking on the bright side is helpful to one's emotional state.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

smoova wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:21 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:00 pm Think positive, you'll sleep better.
Having read these cats on other threads, whether in lax section or Politics, I'm quite doubtful that I'll change their minds...but they're not the only readers...and at least so far, my post is the sole post suggesting another point of view. EDIT: Correction, justalaxdad posted Harvard's schedule as a potential positive sign...was ignored.

And I really do think that looking on the bright side is worthwhile.

I think we're very likely to see full or near full Ivy as well as other conference lax this spring, with a near return to normality of school life in that time period as well. And I think that's not overly optimistic, just looking on the bright side...kids are on campus, in classrooms, playing sports, having fun...again, a really, really positive situation given that the pandemic continues to rage and hospitalizations are up 65% nationwide. Yes, there will need to be mitigation efforts...but nowhere near as onerous as year ago.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:49 pm
Having read these cats on other threads, whether in lax section or Politics, I'm quite doubtful that I'll change their minds...but they're not the only readers...and at least so far, my post is the sole post suggesting another point of view. EDIT: Correction, justalaxdad posted Harvard's schedule as a potential positive sign...was ignored.

I think we're very likely to see full or near full Ivy as well as other conference lax this spring, with a near return to normality of school life in that time period as well. And I think that's not overly optimistic, just looking on the bright side...kids are on campus, in classrooms, playing sports, having fun...again, a really, really positive situation given that the pandemic continues to rage and hospitalizations are up 65% nationwide. Yes, there will need to be mitigation efforts...but nowhere near as onerous as year ago.
ok this is better. I'm actually in the camp that thinks we will have a somewhat normal wlax season. My point in starting the thread was to track delays, cancelled games, which school is doing what and stuff like that. It's good to see the Ivies getting back to school and putting out schedules.
I'm sure they would all admit they made huge mistakes last year in cancelling the season so early.

The stuff about hospitalization rates, raging pandemic, mitigation efforts and those opinions end up being political and there's a thread in another part of the forum better suited for that, that was my point. Like you said, no one's opinion is ever going to be changed about that stuff no matter what you post about it or what I post about it...everyone is dug in.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

8meterPA wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:51 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:49 pm

ok this is better. I'm actually in the camp that thinks we will have a somewhat normal wlax season. My point in starting the thread was to track delays, cancelled games, which school is doing what and stuff like that. It's good to see the Ivies getting back to school and putting out schedules.
I'm sure they would all admit they made huge mistakes last year in cancelling the season so early.

The stuff about hospitalization rates, raging pandemic, mitigation efforts and those opinions end up being political and there's a thread in another part of the forum better suited for that, that was my point. Like you said, no one's opinion is ever going to be changed about that stuff no matter what you post about it or what I post about it...everyone is dug in.
Totally respect your intent...and it's good to have a place to track what's happening...the title, however, may have prompted a bit of what I'd call "whining" but I applaud the good intent.

Agreed with most of the above, however not 100% sure that the Ivy Admins regret the decision they made this time last year...pre vaccination roll-out. I think they're in a far better position now to manage the actual risks to their own populations (vulnerable staff and faculty must be vaccinated and boosted) and the kids have quite low risk of the most dire outcomes, though there are those in their student pops who are much more vulnerable, but again vaccines and boosters. Hard if there's a medical reason why one can't use the vaccine, of course, but that's just a smidgen of their pop.

And the therapeutic pills are real close to being available.

But if we're actually going to discuss the hows and whys of the various decisions, rather than simply track them, I think it's important to recognize what the rationales are, and have been, at the schools, including that at least for many we're talking about, their specific region's hospitalization rates is a major factor...that's not "political", at least it shouldn't be...it's simply factual that they're concerned about those hospitalizations, and the hospitalizations themselves are factual not political. A number of these institutions operate hospitals and medical schools and can certainly be understood to be quite aware of the stresses they are experiencing at various points in time. Much of the general population, by contrast, doesn't experience that issue nearly as acutely...until it really matters.

So, let's consider the bright side...kids are in school, in classes, playing sports, and having fun with their friends. The pandemic ain't over, but we're getting a handle on a lot of the worst risks.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”