Duke

D1 Womens Lacrosse
crazyhorse

Re: Duke

Post by crazyhorse »

Suspect many satisfy themselves by pointing to their Duke degrees to compensate for a poor lacrosse experience. Blaming North for chemistry issues is spin. Those issues start at the head.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:06 pm Image
Really? That's their OOC schedule? At least they scheduled Penn.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

hmmm wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:42 pm Really? That's their OOC schedule? At least they scheduled Penn.
less ambitious...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:52 pm
hmmm wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:42 pm Really? That's their OOC schedule? At least they scheduled Penn.
less ambitious...
that's being kind! I think we all got spoiled last year when the ACC doubled up in conference games and we saw great match ups all season long in the conference. I thought UNC's OCC schedule was pretty average as well.
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

hmmm wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:42 pm
I really feel like Duke has played almost the same exact, mediocre OOC schedule for quite a while now.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

laxer12 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:33 pm
hmmm wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:42 pm
I really feel like Duke has played almost the same exact, mediocre OOC schedule for quite a while now.
Well, when playing tough teams would expose you (good or bad), its easier to take the easy wins and climb the rankings.

They still have to play their tough in-conference games. Kind of the opposite of, for example, Loyola. They have historically scheduled tough OOC, because the PL competition is mediocre. Now look at Cuse....one could argue that they scheduled tough OOC/IC.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

I think we are being too nice. This OOC schedule is an absolute joke and an embarrassment. As a coach of what hopes to be a Top 5 program how can you possibly schedule the first 6 games to start your season. The saddest part of it all is that Duke is an Elite 8 team that should want to be challenged. The coach should be embarrassed by what she put together. Just shows why Duke will never be the best of the best with their current coaching and why CN left to win somewhere else. Have so much respect for coaches like
Amonte and Spallina who put together schedules each year that challenge their teams.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Lax101 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:53 am I think we are being too nice. This OOC schedule is an absolute joke and an embarrassment. As a coach of what hopes to be a Top 5 program how can you possibly schedule the first 6 games to start your season. The saddest part of it all is that Duke is an Elite 8 team that should want to be challenged. The coach should be embarrassed by what she put together. Just shows why Duke will never be the best of the best with their current coaching and why CN left to win somewhere else. Have so much respect for coaches like
Amonte and Spallina who put together schedules each year that challenge their teams.
Can't disagree with that
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Lax101 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:53 am I think we are being too nice. This OOC schedule is an absolute joke and an embarrassment. As a coach of what hopes to be a Top 5 program how can you possibly schedule the first 6 games to start your season. The saddest part of it all is that Duke is an Elite 8 team that should want to be challenged. The coach should be embarrassed by what she put together. Just shows why Duke will never be the best of the best with their current coaching and why CN left to win somewhere else. Have so much respect for coaches like
Can I get a cupcake please?
crazyhorse

Post by crazyhorse »

Well said. Only quibble is likely not an Elite 8 caliber team with the Ivies playing. Will be interesting to see how their RPI and SOS shake out and whether that costs them in the end.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

I have never been in a position where I had to put together a schedule, but it probably isn't all that easy. There are a limited number of "good" teams, a limited number of days to play these games and all the schools are trying to get these good teams on their schedule. So something has to give some where along the line.

Also, the teams that are not a traditional top 20 or even a top 50 team need to find games.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

TNLAX wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:24 pm I have never been in a position where I had to put together a schedule, but it probably isn't all that easy. There are a limited number of "good" teams, a limited number of days to play these games and all the schools are trying to get these good teams on their schedule. So something has to give some where along the line.

Also, the teams that are not a traditional top 20 or even a top 50 team need to find games.
Teams that want to play tough schedules manage to do so. There's no way that this is the best Duke could put together. It's laughable. They know they won't win many games in the ACC so they've scheduled a bunch of wins to make their record look better when NCAA selections come around.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

I agree that Duke should be 6-0 by the time it plays Syracuse. High Point and Elon might have decent teams. Kimel's daughter plays for East Carolina. G-W, Wofford and W&M (sadly) are all weak teams.

You'd think they could schedule Maryland, given the ties between Kimel and Reese.
LaxThoughts

Post by LaxThoughts »

Agree that that out-of-conference schedule is silly. Perhaps Duke's program has been hamstrung by an edict from the administration banning remote travel or travel by plane (which would not be surprising given Duke being in the forefront of the COVID panic).
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

hmmm wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:40 pm
TNLAX wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:24 pm I have never been in a position where I had to put together a schedule, but it probably isn't all that easy. There are a limited number of "good" teams, a limited number of days to play these games and all the schools are trying to get these good teams on their schedule. So something has to give some where along the line.

Teams that want to play tough schedules manage to do so. There's no way that this is the best Duke could put together. It's laughable. They know they won't win many games in the ACC so they've scheduled a bunch of wins to make their record look better when NCAA selections come around.
Don't disagree with you, but does Duke have the budget for travel? Looks like all of their OOC games are a bus ride away. Travel is expensive. MD is a longer bus ride if they could have scheduled them. Just speculating
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

While I am speculating, it could be that the athletic department wants teams flying as little as possible because they are afraid that the players could get sick in airports and on airplanes.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Lame!!! If you have a desire to compete you find a way! If travel is an issue, start the scheduling process early and HOST great teams. Reach out to NW, Stony Brook or Stanford - they seem willing to travel anywhere for tough games and an opportunity to get better. Duke Men were able to schedule solid OOC games like Denver, Towson and Vermont.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

Lax101 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:42 pm Lame!!! If you have a desire to compete you find a way! If travel is an issue, start the scheduling process early and HOST great teams. Reach out to NW, Stony Brook or Stanford - they seem willing to travel anywhere for tough games and an opportunity to get better. Duke Men were able to schedule solid OOC games like Denver, Towson and Vermont.
I can almost guarantee the men's lacrosse budget is much much larger than the women's. I don't disagree with you about asking teams to travel to your home field. But most teams will only do that if you will travel to them the following year.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

hmmm wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:40 pm Teams that want to play tough schedules manage to do so. There's no way that this is the best Duke could put together. It's laughable. They know they won't win many games in the ACC so they've scheduled a bunch of wins to make their record look better when NCAA selections come around.
Yep

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”