January 6, 2021: Insurrection or “normal tourist” visitation?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
cradleandshoot

Re: January 6, 2021: Insurrection or “normal tourist” visitation?

Post by cradleandshoot »

dislaxxic wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:02 pm I'm praying every day that Garland is in fact doing the right thing. I believe he is. He is clearly smart enough, cognizant enough, to understand the stakes here, where the duty lies. His approach to the political aspects of this situation...forged in the fire he endured at the hands of Moscow Mitch, should, very clearly, give him the clarity he needs to do the right thing here, which is: blow through the political hijinx, the posturing, the attempt at bullying that has happened already and which will certainly elevate to a veritable (if not actual) firestorm once (and if) an indictment is entered. He has said all the right things so far, and i feel that DoJ is getting ever closer to bringing indictments. It's perhaps the most complex legal situation the country has ever faced, certainly unprecedented behavior by a disgraced former POTUS. I mean honestly, such a legal path could very possibly lead to a Nuremburg style situation, with a dozen or more ringleaders in the docket at once...can you IMAGINE?

I can...

"forged in the fire he endured at the hands of Moscow Mitch, should, very clearly, give him the clarity he needs to do the right thing here,"

Or it could mean our gentle and kind cute as a kitten AG has an Axe to grind and a very powerful sharpening wheel as being the AG to grind it to a razors edge. He would NEVER do that would he? Only Republican AGs are capable of such spitefulness. Democrat AGs are much better people than that. ;)
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

People in these positions tend to have track records that, in many cases, can allow a measure of predictability regarding how they will act. Judge Garland was on the DC Circuit for 20 years. long record of jurisprudence. Federal prosecutor before that. Do yourself a favor and educate yourself a bit about this sort of thing and your opinion might not come off as so simple-minded, petty and shallow.

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

dislaxxic wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:55 pm People in these positions tend to have track records that, in many cases, can allow a measure of predictability regarding how they will act. Judge Garland was on the DC Circuit for 20 years. long record of jurisprudence. Federal prosecutor before that. Do yourself a favor and educate yourself a bit about this sort of thing and your opinion might not come off as so simple-minded, petty and shallow.

:lol:
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradle tends to be downright idiotic when it comes to anyone who is a moderate personality and respects the rule of law.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:55 pm
dislaxxic wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:02 pm I'm praying every day that Garland is in fact doing the right thing. I believe he is. He is clearly smart enough, cognizant enough, to understand the stakes here, where the duty lies. His approach to the political aspects of this situation...forged in the fire he endured at the hands of Moscow Mitch, should, very clearly, give him the clarity he needs to do the right thing here, which is: blow through the political hijinx, the posturing, the attempt at bullying that has happened already and which will certainly elevate to a veritable (if not actual) firestorm once (and if) an indictment is entered. He has said all the right things so far, and i feel that DoJ is getting ever closer to bringing indictments. It's perhaps the most complex legal situation the country has ever faced, certainly unprecedented behavior by a disgraced former POTUS. I mean honestly, such a legal path could very possibly lead to a Nuremburg style situation, with a dozen or more ringleaders in the docket at once...can you IMAGINE?

I can...

"forged in the fire he endured at the hands of Moscow Mitch, should, very clearly, give him the clarity he needs to do the right thing here,"

Or it could mean our gentle and kind cute as a kitten AG has an Axe to grind and a very powerful sharpening wheel as being the AG to grind it to a razors edge. He would NEVER do that would he? Only Republican AGs are capable of such spitefulness. Democrat AGs are much better people than that. ;)
Could have been worse. Imagine if Hillary was AG. Now that would be amusing.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:29 pm cradle tends to be downright idiotic when it comes to anyone who is a moderate personality and respects the rule of law.
A period after idiotic is all you needed.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Interesting analysis on DW News of the > 700 rioters who were arrested on Jan 6, by U of Chicago Prof Robert Pape :

87 % no previous links to a militia or other violent group
86 % employed
7 % unemployed
52 % from counties comfortably won by Joe Biden

" ...they are part of mainstream America,...not from the margins of society...many of these folks have much to lose, don't normally take risks..."

Based on the court records of only those arrested.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

dislaxxic wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:55 pm People in these positions tend to have track records that, in many cases, can allow a measure of predictability regarding how they will act. Judge Garland was on the DC Circuit for 20 years. long record of jurisprudence. Federal prosecutor before that. Do yourself a favor and educate yourself a bit about this sort of thing and your opinion might not come off as so simple-minded, petty and shallow.

Blah, blah, blah, blah. SFLP bullchit, different day. If being informed makes me sound like you, then ignorance is truly bliss. :D I have my opinion of Garland and you have yours. I'm fine with that.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

old salt wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:23 am Interesting analysis on DW News of the > 700 rioters who were arrested on Jan 6, by U of Chicago Prof Robert Pape :

87 % no previous links to a militia or other violent group
86 % employed
7 % unemployed
52 % from counties comfortably won by Joe Biden

" ...they are part of mainstream America,...not from the margins of society...many of these folks have much to lose, don't normally take risks..."

Based on the court records of only those arrested.
Not having seen (or heard?) the DW News piece to which you refer I don’t know if you’ve left out a key portion of Pape’s analysis because it wasn’t included or because it doesn’t fit your narrative.

I heard Pape on NPR earlier this week. While all the stats you quote are correct in general if not exactly according to his study, he stated this info is at first surprising until evaluation of underlying demographics.

As part of his study on where these insurrectionists (my word) came from, he found many of the pro-Biden counties had the largest population shifts in the country from majority white to a less plurality white and even to minority white.

He was more diplomatic than I’ll now be. He didn’t come right out and connect the dots, but it was pretty obvious where he believes the data leads. Yep, the Jan 6 insurrection is all about white privilege. The GOP has lost its collective mind. The lion’s share of those arrested are p-oed that their previous white majority, and all that means to and for them, is fading fast in the areas where they live.

All the usual folk can now come out and criticize the study as being typical far left junk by some intellectual wannabe from a known liberal university almost as bad as Berkeley. That’s how this works, right?
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:29 pm cradle tends to be downright idiotic when it comes to anyone who is a moderate personality and respects the rule of law.
Wrongo buckwheat. I use my gut instincts to see inside the facade of people who present a moderate personality. Garlands job one as AG is to reverse everything his AG predecessors tried to do. He does that with a Mr Rogers demeanor. He can bullchit you, that doesn't surprise me one little bit. All one needs to do is present a moderate disposition and you fall madly in love. I read post after post after post when folks on this forum eviscerated AG Barr everyday. If you criticize or doubt Bidens AG.. well then that is a horse of a different color. If my opinion makes me an "idiot" in your eyes, I only have to go to the source.. a moderate fluffernutter republican who doesn't even like his own party. There is nothing wrong with being a moderate. The problem with most moderates is they seldom have the intestinal fortitude to leave their comfy little safe places and take a public stand that moderates such as yourself will castigate them for. The only harsh words ever to come from Mittens were directed at trump. Too bad moderate Mittens never had such criticism of BHO when he was running against him. That is not what good moderates do is it MD? It is easier to go with the flow and pretend you dont believe what you are hearing people say. You hear things and interpret them differently. Did I ever insult you and call you an "idiot"? Is that normal behavior for an avowed moderate? :D
tech37

Post by tech37 »

The Histrionics and Melodrama Around 1/6 Are Laughable, but They Serve Several Key Purposes

As Kamala Harris compares 1/6 to 9/11 and Nancy Pelosi introduces the cast of Hamilton to sing about democracy, today's inanity should not obscure its dangers.

https://greenwald.substack.com/p/the-hi ... ama-around
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

tech37 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:23 am The Histrionics and Melodrama Around 1/6 Are Laughable, but They Serve Several Key Purposes

As Kamala Harris compares 1/6 to 9/11 and Nancy Pelosi introduces the cast of Hamilton to sing about democracy, today's inanity should not obscure its dangers.

Pretty sad.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

seacoaster wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:47 am
tech37 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:23 am The Histrionics and Melodrama Around 1/6 Are Laughable, but They Serve Several Key Purposes

Pretty sad.
It's an opinion. Yes, the entire event and reaction, is sad.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

tech37 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:09 am
seacoaster wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:47 am

Pretty sad.
It's an opinion. Yes, the entire event and reaction, is sad.
GG comparing Jan 6 to the Mueller probe. Perhaps he was reading my posts around here when I said similar.

Oh the (melo)drama!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:50 pm
nah, he exercises some common sense from time to time...but he greatly prefers "fighting" over rational logic and moderation.

Anger is a powerful emotion.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

Why haven't we seen any of the 14,000 hours of video from inside the Capitol? Might some of it show it was a "mostly peaceful" event, unlike the flaming cities the legacy media tried to portray as such? Might it show security allowing people in who walked around and left, only to be arrested later for trespass? It would certainly not cause people to think of 9/11 or Pearl Harbor.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

+1 After months and months of burning, looting and mayhem in Portland the only thing that bothered our FLP friends on this forum was the assault on the Capital. Let me put the same FLP spin on that our fellow posters did about the carnage in Portland.. most of the protesters on 1/9/21 were simply peaceful protesters. They had every right to carry their peaceful protest to the steps of the capital. I'm guessing that is where the "peaceful protesters" parted company with the folks who chose to storm the capital. Sort of like where the "peaceful protesters" in Portland chose not to burn down buildings and loot and beat innocent people up. It is an odd fact how the mayhem in Portland went on night after night after night after night after night after night after night after night. Those folks were all simply "peaceful protesters"
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:28 am
nah, he exercises some common sense from time to time...but he greatly prefers "fighting" over rational logic and moderation.

I have enough common sense to not be befuddled by your half ass definition of what a moderate is. ;) A guy who was admittedly an ardent supporter of Richard Nixon as a pimple faced bespectacled teenager has little credibility when judging other people.. :). Does the blimp know of your allegiance to tricky dick? If he does you would have a whole lot of splainin to do. I can only imagine his exasperated comments about your "buddy" Nixon. Explain to all the folks on this forum your infatuation with Nixon in your youth. Judging by your point of view over the years on this forum your still trying to make amends for those teenage indescretions of your youth. Once a Nixon flunkie.. always a Nixon flunkie. ;)
Last edited by cradleandshoot on Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

get it to x wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:04 am Why haven't we seen any of the 14,000 hours of video from inside the Capitol? Might some of it show it was a "mostly peaceful" event, unlike the flaming cities the legacy media tried to portray as such? Might it show security allowing people in who walked around and left, only to be arrested later for trespass? It would certainly not cause people to think of 9/11 or Pearl Harbor.
That narrative is now running in a movie playing inside don trump's head and the head of millions of his wannabes. Called, i'm told, "Just another Day in January", it stars don, alex, ali, ted, roy, sidney, rudy, michael, proud boys, FA1'ers, 3%'ers, oath keeping types and a ragtag cast of thousands of everyman extras that think of themselves as Patriots. Didn't we see you in that film, "x"??

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:28 am

I repeat, anger is a powerful emotion.
Roxy needs another walk...

Return to “POLITICS”