Bourbon

General Chatter
youthathletics

Re: Bourbon

Post by youthathletics »

Interesting, wonder what it actually tastes like? https://whiskeyraiders.com/american/bes ... mrJ0Gn2OyY
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:26 pm Interesting, wonder what it actually tastes like? https://whiskeyraiders.com/american/bes ... mrJ0Gn2OyY
Interesting. Seems like another path to get there.
A friend and I used to char small oak staves and put them in white dog bottles to "start" the aging process when we didn't have room left in our micro-barrels. It worked slightly to impart the char flavor, but it wasn't perfect. Ours were definitely better after you put it in a barrel and let them sit/breath. But we were just some guys drinking in a woodshop with some scrap white oak, table saw, and propane torch.
:lol:
I imagine there's something to it. Hopefully the world market loves it and it frees up a little more traditional product for the US.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Could this mean more for the US, distilleries will just sit on product and wait it out, or?? https://whiskeyraiders.com/article/chin ... OfhM6N4v_0
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:50 pm Could this mean more for the US, distilleries will just sit on product and wait it out, or?? https://whiskeyraiders.com/article/chin ... OfhM6N4v_0
Right now? The big outfits are struggling to get barrels, glass, and believe it or not, Malted Barley of all things.

China is a far bigger deal for Scotch.

US isn't a big deal at all, at least not short term. This won't have much effect, imho.
a fan

Post by a fan »

For the Forum's whiskey fans, or for those looking to help tornado victims in KY, there's going to be some impossible to find whiskies from some of the big KY distilleries (and a bottle from a small outfit in Denver) sold on an on line auction to benefit W Kentucky.

The auction goes live Dec 16 7pm EST.

http://www.kybourbonbenefit.com/
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:40 pm For the Forum's whiskey fans, or for those looking to help tornado victims in KY, there's going to be some impossible to find whiskies from some of the big KY distilleries (and a bottle from a small outfit in Denver) sold on an on line auction to benefit W Kentucky.

I'm out. :lol: :lol:

~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:40 pm For the Forum's whiskey fans, or for those looking to help tornado victims in KY, there's going to be some impossible to find whiskies from some of the big KY distilleries (and a bottle from a small outfit in Denver) sold on an on line auction to benefit W Kentucky.

Live....https://one.bidpal.net/kybourbon/browse/all
~Livy
richard

Post by richard »

I’ve just finished decanting some Christmas toddy and think that Old Crow might be the right bourbon for it. It sure is the right price and it holds up in the mix. It gets a bad rap among the connoisseurs but as a mixer it works.
Also I have to say that I really enjoy reading this thread. You all have knowledge and expertise that I trust, maybe because 101 and Four Roses have been on my list for quite a while. Thinking of that I noticed that 101 has a new bottle design and seems to have bumped a little cost wise. Someone must have noticed how good it is.
The only thing I miss in your discussion is the who, when, where,and why.
A couple of years ago a place called The Nickel Tap House closed. It was up the street from the Mt Washington Tavern. They had a great Friday happy hour. A shot of Four Roses Small Batch, an Evolution #3, oysters, raw or cooked in a couple of different ways and you could get a beef on weck on top of that and walk out for about 25 bucks. I miss that place. It is only number 2 on my list of great places for a shot and a beer. #1 was a spot in Butler Md called the Worthington Tavern. It also had been known as The White Way. To walk in there and get a shot of Early Times and an ice cold Coors Light was as good as it gets. The clientele made it. The smells of horses and the barn perfected the experience of the whiskey and beer.
Thinking of nostalgia. I saw that a bottle of Stitzel Weller Cabin Still could be had for $250. Man oh man, used to steel that out of the old mans liquor cabinet.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

richard wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:56 pm I’ve just finished decanting some Christmas toddy and think that Old Crow might be the right bourbon for it. It sure is the right price and it holds up in the mix. It gets a bad rap among the connoisseurs but as a mixer it works.
Also I have to say that I really enjoy reading this thread. You all have knowledge and expertise that I trust, maybe because 101 and Four Roses have been on my list for quite a while. Thinking of that I noticed that 101 has a new bottle design and seems to have bumped a little cost wise. Someone must have noticed how good it is.
The only thing I miss in your discussion is the who, when, where,and why.
A couple of years ago a place called The Nickel Tap House closed. It was up the street from the Mt Washington Tavern. They had a great Friday happy hour. A shot of Four Roses Small Batch, an Evolution #3, oysters, raw or cooked in a couple of different ways and you could get a beef on weck on top of that and walk out for about 25 bucks. I miss that place. It is only number 2 on my list of great places for a shot and a beer. #1 was a spot in Butler Md called the Worthington Tavern. It also had been known as The White Way. To walk in there and get a shot of Early Times and an ice cold Coors Light was as good as it gets. The clientele made it. The smells of horses and the barn perfected the experience of the whiskey and beer.
Thinking of nostalgia. I saw that a bottle of Stitzel Weller Cabin Still could be had for $250. Man oh man, used to steel that out of the old mans liquor cabinet.
You certainly sound like one helluva neighbor to have richard....I'd probably stumble home from your place on occasion sipping that xmas toddy.

Seems everything is crept in price hear lately. I just scored a handful of pickups at the MoCo allocated drop last weekend. A couple Blanton's (which I breakout for celebratory events for those that think its the best), 1792 Full Proof, Larceny Limited Barrell Proof, and a Michters Toasted Barrell. Almost got a Stagg but the guy in front of me grabbed the last one.

My neighbor handed me a Blade and Bow, which is supposed to be a solera blend from some old Stitzel Weller leftovers....no clue how much is in there, probably a teaspoon. :lol: But the gift made my day.

Merry Christmas!
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

When it Comes to Double Barreling – Independent Stave Says Forget the Char #4 and Go Low
~Livy
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

I picked up the Leopold/Dickel collaboration this morning and it made me wonder how you made out in the fires. Saw your post on the Corona thread and glad you are ok. One of these days I will screw up the courage to try Fernet again (they had yours), but didn't care for it the only time I had it. I may have a dram of the whiskey this evening.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

What did everyone get for the holidays?
Our family had some fun. We celebrated Christmas eve outside again, under the stars and around the fireplace.
We also revived a tradition we used to do each year, but haven't had a chance to recently.
Me, my Dad, FIL and BIL had a bourbon draft for Christmas.
Everyone contributed 3 rare-er bottles that we had found in our travels over the past year.
:D
Pick 3. We rolled a dice and did a snake draft. Only provision - First round draft picks MUST be opened and tasted.

What 3 you eyeing?

Basil Hayden's 10
Blanton's
Blanton's Green Label
Chestnut Farms BiB
COL EH Taylor BiB
Eagle Rare 10
Old Ezra Distiller's Select
The Representative
Weller Antique
Weller CYPB
Whistle Pig 10
Wilett
bmorelax

Post by bmorelax »

What 3 you eyeing?

Basil Hayden's 10
Blanton's
Blanton's Green Label
Chestnut Farms BiB
COL EH Taylor BiB
Eagle Rare 10
Old Ezra Distiller's Select
The Representative
Weller Antique
Weller CYPB
Whistle Pig 10
Wilett

Blanton's Green
Weller CYPB
Col EH Taylor BIB
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

I am with bmorelax, and primarily for the sole reason they are unicorns that I otherwise would not find.
~Livy
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Nice picker! Those were indeed the first 3 off the board:

1) Col EH Taylor BIB - Dad got it at his usual store in MD. He asked for it many mos ago and the owner remembered and was nice enough to sell him his only allocation.
2) Weller CYPB- I found a bottle in a liquor store on the slower, lower eastern Delaware shore this past November. Had no clue what it was when I bought it. But I had never seen it before and he was only asking $100.
3) Blanton's Green- BIL had a friend who went to KY last month and toured and brought a bunch of unique bottles.
4) Weller Antique- FIL drove up from FL, stopped in a NC ABC and found it on the end-cap for $50. We haven't seen it in MD for at least 2-3 years.

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Insane to find weller in NC, someone must have forgotten to pick up a lottery.
~Livy
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:00 pm Insane to find weller in NC, someone must have forgotten to pick up a lottery.
I know. Thought the same thing. Or the new stock boy screwed up!

Stopped in my favorite local MD store today and they had some real interesting finds-

Picked up a handle of JW Dant BiB AND Came across a bottle of AFan's Leopold/Dickel Collaboration! Looking forward to trying it!

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:11 pm
youthathletics wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:00 pm Insane to find weller in NC, someone must have forgotten to pick up a lottery.
I know. Thought the same thing. Or the new stock boy screwed up!

Stopped in my favorite local MD store today and they had some real interesting finds-

Picked up a handle of JW Dant BiB AND Came across a bottle of AFan's Leopold/Dickel Collaboration! Looking forward to trying it!

Never tried the JW Dant....lemma know what ya think. Have not seen the Leopold/Dickel in the handful of stores Ive visited. Cusrious....what is your go to store?
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

~Livy
richard

Post by richard »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:11 pm Picked up a handle of JW Dant BiB AND Came across a bottle of AFan's Leopold/Dickel Collaboration! Looking forward to trying it!
My in laws were Dant and TW Samuels drinkers, not BIB, and always with a cube of ice. Cocktail hour in front of the fireplace he had a pipe and she had Marlboro Reds in a box. She was a real southerner, from Morganton, N.C. The Taylors and Senator Sam were neighbors. Lots of spirited chat going on there. I believe Samuels had Makers Mark in their lineup so there must have been something to it. Not sure about the Dant.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”