All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

youthathletics

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by youthathletics »

Curious....anyone here had covid recently.

I think my wife is on the tail end of it, can not find any testing places near by and all at home tests are sold out, no way we are waiting in 3 plus hours lines. She had fever for about 36 hours, chills/sweats one time for about an hour, no sore throat, and headache for about 3 days. Seems to have passed it on to me, all I have had is just a major congestion feeling but can breath just fine, no sore throat, and only had a headache for about 24 hours (more like a common cold).

Just curious if anyone here, or in your family has had similar symptoms and received results of a test?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:39 am Curious....anyone here had covid recently.

I think my wife is on the tail end of it, can not find any testing places near by and all at home tests are sold out, no way we are waiting in 3 plus hours lines. She had fever for about 36 hours, chills/sweats one time for about an hour, no sore throat, and headache for about 3 days. Seems to have passed it on to me, all I have had is just a major congestion feeling but can breath just fine, no sore throat, and only had a headache for about 24 hours (more like a common cold).

Just curious if anyone here, or in your family has had similar symptoms and received results of a test?
Are you both vaccinated? Sounds like Omnicron. I wanted your expert opinion on 15 year old Knob Creek versus Basil Hayden?
“I wish you would!”
CU88

Post by CU88 »

The Florida Department of Health, which has made the availability of monoclonal antibody treatments a centerpiece of its effort to combat COVID-19, did not respond to inquiries about the shortage.

https://www.news-press.com/story/news/c ... 044124002/
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:02 am
youthathletics wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:39 am Curious....anyone here had covid recently.

Are you both vaccinated? Sounds like Omnicron. I wanted your expert opinion on 15 year old Knob Creek versus Basil Hayden?
Yes, both vaccinated, no booster.

I have never been much a fan of BH. That is not to say I turn my nose at it....I like it, certainly would not be in my top choices. I was excited to try their new "Toasted" product and it was underwhelming to me. It almost seems like they watered it down to stretch it out....young tasting. The KC15 is tasty, a higher proof, with more bite and complexity; a great sipper. It would be hard (for me) to justify spending over 2-3x the cost, unless you really like to experience the differences in bourbon. Buy em both and enjoy each of them.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:28 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:02 am

Yes, both vaccinated, no booster.

I have never been much a fan of BH. That is not to say I turn my nose at it....I like it, certainly would not be in my top choices. I was excited to try their new "Toasted" product and it was underwhelming to me. It almost seems like they watered it down to stretch it out....young tasting. The KC15 is tasty, a higher proof, with more bite and complexity; a great sipper. It would be hard (for me) to justify spending over 2-3x the cost, unless you really like to experience the differences in bourbon. Buy em both and enjoy each of them.
Just wondering. I gave the 15 year old as a Christmas gift to my son and his roommates and a couple of teammates sent the BH. I am not much of a hard liquor guy but figured I would ask the expert!

Get well soon. Hope to see you in the Spring.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

son was under the weather for a day or 2 during finals, also headache for small stretches, congestion and sore throat, runny nose. so he tested before he headed home and was negative.
wife picked up same symptoms 2-3 days later. after a circus to get a test, came back negative for the vid, the flu and whatever else they tested for. each took about 5-6 or so days to clear.

covid's not the only thing going around, though it's around everywhere, don't think you can assume without confirmation.
a fan

Post by a fan »

tech37 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:49 am It's amazing how a misleading, sensational headline has people on here reacting like lunatics.
I wasn't reacting to the headline, tech. As usual, you're not paying attention to what posters write...and when.
a fan wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:05 pm You're assuming that all the people taking these pills are rational, educated patients, tech. That's not who we're dealing with here.

This pill is largely for the unvaxxed. So guess what that means? Demographically? Poor, rural, skeptical of science, more likely to be uninsured.....not exactly a recipe for knowing that they have covid, and for taking the pill at the right time...which is EVERYTHING with these treatments.

How do you get an anti-vaxxer to just execute step one, which is to take a Covid test? Good luck with that. It's sad. It sucks. But here we are.....
See the Dec 28th date stamp in the upper right corner?

The Daily Beast article was posted on the 29th....the day AFTER my above opinion was posted. Unless I have a time machine, I'm not reacting to doodly. So....maybe apologize for calling me a lunatic?
tech37 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:49 am Panacea? That is the first time I've seen/heard that word used regarding the Covid pills. "but experts fear they will not solve all of our problems"... where did that come from, who has said they would? As for the rest, we'll see as facts over time emerge from more reliable sources.
You've been complaining about the lack of therapeutics for months now. Are you telling me now that you've been doing all that complaining over drugs that aren't going to make a major difference in the pandemic? Really?

Okay.
lagerhead

Post by lagerhead »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:53 am

son was under the weather for a day or 2 during finals, also headache for small stretches, congestion and sore throat, runny nose. so he tested before he headed home and was negative.
wife picked up same symptoms 2-3 days later. after a circus to get a test, came back negative for the vid, the flu and whatever else they tested for. each took about 5-6 or so days to clear.

covid's not the only thing going around, though it's around everywhere, don't think you can assume without confirmation.
Tuesday night chills came fast followed by a fever for 36 hours very minor sore throat, fatigue and achy. Today muscle aches no headache or fever. No chance of getting tested due to lack of availability, I too am not waiting in line for hours to get tested. I’m still a little tired but nothing I haven’t gone through before. 2 shots of Pfizer 6 months ago.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Thank you.
~Livy

SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Three year old granddaughter tested positive (two at-home tests from two separate lots) Christmas Eve Day. Very runny nose for four days, poor sleep for two nights. Her parents started with severe head colds on the 26th, then sore throats. My son also had periodic headaches on the 27th and 28th. Both still have the former symptoms. Neither tested positive with at-home tests, but were confident enough with their daughter's test results that they believe they have Omicron. Son and daughter-in-law both are Moderna vaccinated and boosted. Both 38 and healthy with no medical issues.

Both skipped their Peloton workouts until yesterday when they got back on the bike. Vaccines work.
Last edited by SCLaxAttack on Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

a fan wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:04 am
tech37 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:49 am It's amazing how a misleading, sensational headline has people on here reacting like lunatics.
I wasn't reacting to the headline, tech. As usual, you're not paying attention to what posters write...and when.
a fan wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:05 pm You're assuming that all the people taking these pills are rational, educated patients, tech. That's not who we're dealing with here.

This pill is largely for the unvaxxed. So guess what that means? Demographically? Poor, rural, skeptical of science, more likely to be uninsured.....not exactly a recipe for knowing that they have covid, and for taking the pill at the right time...which is EVERYTHING with these treatments.

How do you get an anti-vaxxer to just execute step one, which is to take a Covid test? Good luck with that. It's sad. It sucks. But here we are.....
See the Dec 28th date stamp in the upper right corner?

The Daily Beast article was posted on the 29th....the day AFTER my above opinion was posted. Unless I have a time machine, I'm not reacting to doodly. So....maybe apologize for calling me a lunatic?
Sorry you thought that a fan... wasn't referring to you as I was following DMac's post.
tech37 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:49 am Panacea? That is the first time I've seen/heard that word used regarding the Covid pills. "but experts fear they will not solve all of our problems"... where did that come from, who has said they would? As for the rest, we'll see as facts over time emerge from more reliable sources.
You've been complaining about the lack of therapeutics for months now. Are you telling me now that you've been doing all that complaining over drugs that aren't going to make a major difference in the pandemic? Really?
I've been complaining about not having more options in general (especially for treatment) and especially when it was obvious the vaccination numbers were not going to change, and if so, only slightly.

I disagree with your almost immediate dismissal of Paxlovid before it has even been put to work and data can be reviewed. Your pessimistic POV may end up being correct but I certainly hope not.

tech37

Post by tech37 »

I mentioned my niece and her family few days ago. She and her husband in late 30's and fully vaxxed. Two boys, 6 and 4 yo. Three guys rapid tested positive right away. She rapid tested negative twice over a 3-4 day period even though she had similar symptoms. Then she PCR tested negative. Bizarre. BTW, all their symptoms were similar and ranged from slight flu to bad cold.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

tech37 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:37 am

I mentioned my niece and her family few days ago. She and her husband in late 30's and fully vaxxed. Two boys, 6 and 4 yo. Three guys rapid tested positive right away. She rapid tested negative twice over a 3-4 day period even though she had similar symptoms. Then she PCR tested negative. Bizarre. BTW, all their symptoms were similar and ranged from slight flu to bad cold.
Word is rapid tests are not nearly as reliable for Omicron than for other variants. The vast majority of cases in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic now are Omicron so perhaps this may be the case here. Apparently timing (exactly when you test) inside your course of symptoms is also important to accuracy of even PCR tests.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

old salt wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:24 pm
SCLaxAttack wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:00 pm Says the vet who deployed decades ago when the “take your shots” statement wasn’t prefaced by “pretty please”. I have a son-in-law Field Artillery Brigade XO who deployed to Iraq for 10 months starting in August 2020 who would tell you they did deploy at weakened strength and couldn’t do anything about the soldiers who declined the JNJ vaccine when it became available to them in Iraq in February, except quarantine them when they became ill and shuffle battery staffing around to accommodate battalion requirements.
Different time, different circumstances. They deployed before the vax was available, right ? Would they have to deploy now short staffed or with unvaxxed soldiers ? Did he write unfavorable evaluations on the unvaxxed & not recommend them for promotion, & warn them he was going to do so & why ? There are incentives short of discharge, now that we know so much more, have such high vax rates & omicron will likely impart acquired immunity to the few remaining unvaxxed. Let omicron run it's course, then reassess the fate of the ever-dwindling number of unvaxxed remnants.
Yes, deployed short staff before vaccines. Those who tested positive followed after quarantine. Battery staffing was reorganized throughout their deployment as different soldiers became sick and were quarantined. This reorganization continued to be necessary even after vaccines became available in theatre.

Yes, the last battalion deployment from his brigade (deployed to S Korea) deployed after the Pentagon's mandatory vaccine policy while some staff remained in the US to finish quarantining. Most of those staying behind hadn't been vaccinated.

His brigade has not begun writing up or releasing soldiers who have decided to ignore vaccination orders.

Your continued defense of alternative, and less effective, methods to attain readiness when the simple solution of vaccinations is available is shocking to me. Brigade, battalion, and battery officers and NCOs have enough on their plates without adding unnecessary c rap.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Kismet wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:50 am
tech37 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:37 am

Word is rapid tests are not nearly as reliable for Omicron than for other variants. The vast majority of cases in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic now are Omicron so perhaps this may be the case here. Apparently timing (exactly when you test) inside your course of symptoms is also important to accuracy of even PCR tests.
Yep. I had a thought that perhaps they didn't have Covid at all but the idea of three false positives just too coincidental.
a fan

Post by a fan »

tech37 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:24 am
I disagree with your almost immediate dismissal of Paxlovid before it has even been put to work and data can be reviewed. Your pessimistic POV may end up being correct but I certainly hope not. [/color][/b]
I'm not dismissing ANY drug. I'm with you----I hope they're wonderful, and have said so in the past. I have NO interest in any more of my fellow Americans dying.

But what I'm trying to tell you East Coast lot that things are different out this way. So when Old Salt links John Madden quotes as if I'm not working with these people on a daily basis--------truck drivers, orchardists, farmers, etc.------it tells me that he's forgotten where I live, and what I do for a living.

I"m now up to five dead. Five rural colleagues and/or friends.....dead from stubbornness. They didn't die from Covid, IMHO. They died from a mixture of social media and stubbornness. That's why I brought up Reagan, btw-----every one of these wonderful, hardcore, salt of the Earth conservatives are the people who run blood drives in their rural towns. Baked goods for HS trips. And 20+ years ago? They would have been out there, running a vaccine drive for their community.

Would've been six dead if my brother's best friend from HS didn't make it out of ICU around Thanksgiving. Staunch anti-vaxxer. Whole family is unvaxxed----five kids, all of them dependent on dad to put food on the table. Did he consider them when making his silly choices? F no. And, of course, he took the full range of treatments/advice the doctor had on hand when he arrived near-dead. Could he tell you what was in the drugs and treatments he received? Did he "do his research" on this care he received? F no. Hypocrisy that nearly killed him.

So yep------I'm angry, frustrated, tired, and freaking sad. And yep, it may come across as condescension....but when someone acts like a child, instead of the rational adult that you've known for years? You owe it to them to tell them they're not making any sense, and are acting like irresponsible children.
Typical Lax Dad

SCLaxAttack wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:51 am
old salt wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:24 pm
SCLaxAttack wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:00 pm Says the vet who deployed decades ago when the “take your shots” statement wasn’t prefaced by “pretty please”. I have a son-in-law Field Artillery Brigade XO who deployed to Iraq for 10 months starting in August 2020 who would tell you they did deploy at weakened strength and couldn’t do anything about the soldiers who declined the JNJ vaccine when it became available to them in Iraq in February, except quarantine them when they became ill and shuffle battery staffing around to accommodate battalion requirements.
Different time, different circumstances. They deployed before the vax was available, right ? Would they have to deploy now short staffed or with unvaxxed soldiers ? Did he write unfavorable evaluations on the unvaxxed & not recommend them for promotion, & warn them he was going to do so & why ? There are incentives short of discharge, now that we know so much more, have such high vax rates & omicron will likely impart acquired immunity to the few remaining unvaxxed. Let omicron run it's course, then reassess the fate of the ever-dwindling number of unvaxxed remnants.
Yes, deployed short staff before vaccines. Those who tested positive followed after quarantine. Battery staffing was reorganized throughout their deployment as different soldiers became sick and were quarantined. This reorganization continued to be necessary even after vaccines became available in theatre.

Yes, the last battalion deployment from his brigade (deployed to S Korea) deployed after the Pentagon's mandatory vaccine policy while some staff remained in the US to finish quarantining. Most of those staying behind hadn't been vaccinated.

His brigade has not begun writing up or releasing soldiers who have decided to ignore vaccination orders.

Your continued defense of alternative, and less effective, methods to attain readiness when the simple solution of vaccinations is available is shocking to me. Brigade, battalion, and battery officers and NCOs have enough on their plates without adding unnecessary c rap.
Guy won’t let unvaccinated dogs mix….humans are held to a lower standard.
“I wish you would!”
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

lagerhead wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:05 am

Tuesday night chills came fast followed by a fever for 36 hours very minor sore throat, fatigue and achy. Today muscle aches no headache or fever. No chance of getting tested due to lack of availability, I too am not waiting in line for hours to get tested. I’m still a little tired but nothing I haven’t gone through before. 2 shots of Pfizer 6 months ago.
I had the same symptoms/timeline when I had Covid in October of 2020. On a 0 to 10 scale, 4/10 Saturday, 2/10 Sunday, asymptomatic on Monday. Tested Monday and got results on Thursday. Lost taste and smell for the better part of three months. My daughter and her husband were sick while traveling to LA and tested positive right away and negative five days later. She said it was 1.5/10.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:03 pm Guy won’t let unvaccinated dogs mix….humans are held to a lower standard.
Most humans won't bite each other, although you may be the exception.
old salt

Post by old salt »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:51 am Your continued defense of alternative, and less effective, methods to attain readiness when the simple solution of vaccinations is available is shocking to me. Brigade, battalion, and battery officers and NCOs have enough on their plates without adding unnecessary crap.
I'm being pragmatic -- based on where we are now. I agree that vaxxed is better, now & then.

With a current vax rate of at least 95% (& improving) of those now serving, & all incoming recruits vaxxed, it is not worth it at this point to throw out the few remaining unvaxxed when they're likely to get acquired immunity from omicron, if they don't already have it.
Admin separations are a hassle for all involved & disruptive to a unit as well.

I'm probably influenced by my experience in having to tell a 4.0 performing career E-6 with 15 years service (& his sobbing wife) that I had no choice but to process him for an Admin discharge when he popped + for pot on a random drug test, just after the Navy instituted a zero tolerance policy. Even then it seemed short sighted.

Return to “POLITICS”