All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

old salt

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:19 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:42 pm After they've surrendered their rights, throw 'em out of the service, just because we can.
...just to make a political point. The miliary's unaxed %'s are insignificant. It is not a readiness issue.
There are other incentives short of discharge.

Keep throwing them out of the military while other mandates collapse under their own weight, as reality intrudes.

Meanwhile, politicians (in & out of uniform) continue to mumble at us through useless color coordinated designer fabric cloth masks, & wonder why so many people don't believe them.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/202 ... l-169.html
The Marine Corps discharged 66 Marines in the past week for refusing to get the coronavirus vaccine as mandated by the military, outpacing the other services at discipline related to the shots.

The latest Corps actions ...brought the total number of Marines booted out of the service for vaccine refusal to 169.

The Marine Corps has been the most aggressive in discharging troops who refuse the vaccine. And it also has denied all religious requests for vaccine exemptions that have been processed. As of Thursday, 3,080 of the 3,192 requests received — or more than 96% — have been processed and rejected.

The Marine vaccination rate is the lowest among the military services. The Army, Navy and Air Force all have nearly or more than 98% who have gotten at least one shot.
Get the last few feet draggers off the payroll.
That option should be left to unit commanders. If a foot-dragger is a poor performer, use this as a quick ez way to admin discharge him/her.
If a footdragger is an ok performer, let them stay, continue other incentives to vax & see how this plays out. Temp freeze on promotion or transfer to desirable assignment until vaxxed. This also offers an early out to those who don't want to complete their obligated service.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:31 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:42 pm After they've surrendered their rights, throw 'em out of the service, just because we can.
...just to make a political point. The miliary's unaxed %'s are insignificant. It is not a readiness issue.

Keep throwing them out of the military while other mandates collapse under their own weight, as reality intrudes.

Meanwhile, politicians (in & out of uniform) continue to mumble at us through useless color coordinated designer fabric cloth masks, & wonder why so many people don't believe them.

The Marine Corps discharged 66 Marines in the past week for refusing to get the coronavirus vaccine as mandated by the military, outpacing the other services at discipline related to the shots.

The latest Corps actions ...brought the total number of Marines booted out of the service for vaccine refusal to 169.

The Marine Corps has been the most aggressive in discharging troops who refuse the vaccine. And it also has denied all religious requests for vaccine exemptions that have been processed. As of Thursday, 3,080 of the 3,192 requests received — or more than 96% — have been processed and rejected.

The Marine vaccination rate is the lowest among the military services. The Army, Navy and Air Force all have nearly or more than 98% who have gotten at least one shot.
That option should be left to unit commanders. If a foot-dragger is a poor performer, use this as a quick ez way to admin discharge him/her.
If a footdragger is an ok performer, let them stay, continue other incentives to vax & see how this plays out. Temp freeze on promotion or transfer to desirable assignment until vaxxed.
Good performers probably all followed orders. Guy’s that won’t follow a simple order can’t be trusted. Move on. We are shrinking forces anyway as we are no longer policing the world. Plenty of security and other contracting jobs in the private sector.
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:22 pm :lol: Yea the words are so big, the numbers are so confusing, and reading a test is so troublesome, that even the CDC was wrong on the percentage of Omicron positives. Crazy....delta is more prevalent and restrictions are relaxing. ? Square that one for us..... :o ;)

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/heal ... 2b2fe40681

Last week, the CDC reported that 73% of positive cases in America were the result of the omicron variant

CDC Nowcast data now shows that between December 19 and December 25, 58.6% of positive COVID cases in America were omicron, while 41.1% were delta. Less than a percent of the remaining cases were listed as “other”.
Oh. My. G*d. The CDC made a mistake and corrected it later? Call the cops, YA!!!!

Strap on the tinfoil, YA, and tell me what REALLY happened.

What's the conspiracy this time? Aliens? FBI tricked the CDC into lying? They're trying to ruin the TrumpEconomy, and they're all "in on it"?

Let me know the REAL story when you have some time, so I can adjust my tinfoil hat properly for best reception. :lol: ;)

youthathletics wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:22 pm Is Rachel Maddow a relative of yours, you seem to love calling out Fox ;)
When you're all spouting the same nonsense, and all at the same exact time? Yes.

Or are you telling me that it's a "coincidence" that you, OS, and half of my right wing friends are making the exact. same. silly. complaint?

Newsflash: they've been changing guidance since this started. There is no conspiracy behind this.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:31 pm That option should be left to unit commanders. If a foot-dragger is a poor performer, use this as a quick ez way to admin discharge him/her.
If a footdragger is an ok performer, let them stay, continue other incentives to vax & see how this plays out. Temp freeze on promotion or transfer to desirable assignment until vaxxed. This also offers an early out to those who don't want to complete their obligated service.
And the new recruits, now that you told them vaccines are optional from 2021 on.......? What's your plan for that?

Yes. Let's see how much more of America we can trash to accommodate soft minds that are easily manipulated by social media. Makes sense.

Because who needs a healthy military? Can't picture a downside here.
Typical Lax Dad

Off topic (not unusual for me)….have you seen this?

It’s streaming and on my list.
“I wish you would!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:18 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:16 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:02 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:56 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:44 pm
DMac wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:10 pm I know that asking for more than a minute and a half is stretching the attention span of most in this world today but I'm hoping there is someone who will watch this and come back and tell me why this guy is a nut and I shouldn't believe a word he says. TIA
https://americacanwetalk.org/dr-mark-mc ... 2-15-21-2/
There are two classes of people in the country: the haves and have nots.

2% of people that have contracted the virus have died. Over 5 million deaths reported globally and the real number is expected to be between 15 and 20 million. If people are not afraid of that, they aren’t scared of anything. We were more afraid of a terrorists attack. Security in every building in this country changed almost overnight. Nobody complained.

https://www.futuremedicine.com/doi/10.2 ... -2021-0086

https://www.forbes.com/sites/theapothec ... d713423780
it's a shade under 2% now, as people in my neck of the woods can't get tests and they likely won't get counted on the rolls.
I am as relying on the Global number. 283 million cases is statistically close enough.

In the meantime: https://www.statnews.com/2021/10/14/yea ... -covid-19/

COVID-19 hasn’t been a big deal. It has been overblown
i just feel compelled every time i see your 2% number. especially when it says have contracted the virus. i thought you were riding ihme? 40% of the pop already, are u.s. excess deaths up to almost 3 million?

a number of people have tried to tackle it. the original 0.3+% is more than likely low.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 1221007931
didn't go thru it all, but they may have it somewhere b/t 0.5 and 1%. depending. there's a bunch of modeling, though. directional. sweden's probably lower or lower end. lot of vitamin d.
I am lazy. Worldmeter has been my day 1 reference point…..directionally accurate.
In the meantime
https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/exce ... eath-count

Virus isn’t really killing folks.
I'm struggling with whether you boys are being sarcastic or not.
You're saying the guy is not a complete nut and much of what he
says is believable?
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Here's the problem IMHO - They all know they cannot order another lockdown so they are tap dancing tiptoeing around that reality. So they bend the science to suit what they know they have to do to provide some kind of a rationale for it all. In addition, rapid antigen tests don't work as well with Omicron variant - more negatives from folks who are actually positive. Fauci just said everyone should cancel New Year's celebrations which should go over well.

We all better buckle up - we just had our second consecutive day of near 20% positivity in testing here in CT. We have NEVER been that high since this all began. Hospitalizations are ticking up (less than previous waves). No changes yet in death rates....yet

Very hard to find rapid tests - state is giving out freebies starting tomorrow via your local town government - one box (2 tests) per household. Process varies by town (online registration and pickup vs drive-up and wait in line). Some towns allow 2 boxes (4 tests) but they appear to be the minority.

Also hard to schedule a PCR test - so I suspect the infection rate might be much higher than reported - in addition home tests are not reported to the state either.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Kismet wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:46 pm Here's the problem IMHO - They all know they cannot order another lockdown so they are tap dancing tiptoeing around that reality. So they bend the science to suit what they know they have to do to provide some kind of a rationale for it all.
They're not bending the science. They're reacting to the fact that vaccined and boosted Americans aren't showing up in hospitals here in late 2021....they're just getting mild symptoms, if that.

And they know the unvaxxed aren't going to change their behaviors. That's obvious.

So you move the goalposts, just as they have been doing this entire pandemic.

Anti-vaxxers should be thrilled. Instead? They're throwing stones, whining about the CDC changing guidelines to suit the reality on the ground...just as they have been doing this ENTIRE time. Weighing pros and cons for the effects on both our health and the economy.
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:46 pm
DMac wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:10 pm I know that asking for more than a minute and a half is stretching the attention span of most in this world today but I'm hoping there is someone who will watch this and come back and tell me why this guy is a nut and I shouldn't believe a word he says. TIA

2% of people that have contracted the virus have died. Over 5 million deaths reported globally and the real number is expected to be between 15 and 20 million. If people are not afraid of that, they aren’t scared of anything. We were more afraid of a terrorists attack. Security in every building in this country changed almost overnight. Nobody complained.

it's a shade under 2% now, as people in my neck of the woods can't get tests and they likely won't get counted on the rolls.
I am as relying on the Global number. 283 million cases is statistically close enough.

i just feel compelled every time i see your 2% number. especially when it says have contracted the virus. i thought you were riding ihme? 40% of the pop already, are u.s. excess deaths up to almost 3 million?

a number of people have tried to tackle it. the original 0.3+% is more than likely low.
didn't go thru it all, but they may have it somewhere b/t 0.5 and 1%. depending. there's a bunch of modeling, though. directional. sweden's probably lower or lower end. lot of vitamin d.
I am lazy. Worldmeter has been my day 1 reference point…..directionally accurate.
In the meantime

I'm struggling with whether you boys are being sarcastic or not.
You're saying the guy is not a complete nut and much of what he
says is believable?
He is not a nut but has a bias. My go to is the body count. That’s enough convincing for me that this is serious. This thing may have killed between 15 million and 20 million people and he believes governments around the world have decided to play on folks’ fears…….I saw something funny the other day and it made me think about you.
“I wish you would!”
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

a fan wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:55 pm
Kismet wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:46 pm Here's the problem IMHO - They all know they cannot order another lockdown so they are tap dancing tiptoeing around that reality. So they bend the science to suit what they know they have to do to provide some kind of a rationale for it all.
They're not bending the science. They're reacting to the fact that vaccined and boosted Americans aren't showing up in hospitals here in late 2021....they're just getting mild symptoms, if that.

And they know the unvaxxed aren't going to change their behaviors. That's obvious.

Anti-vaxxers should be thrilled. Instead? They're throwing stones, whining about the CDC changing guidelines to suit the reality on the ground...just as they have been doing this ENTIRE time. Weighing pros and cons for the effects on both our health and the economy.
I am just trying to explain my opinion of what they are doing. By now, they should have long ago realized the anti-vaxxers will never be happy.
Their real problem/concern is what happens if they start losing the vaxxers.

IMHO perhaps the problem is you're asking irrational people to act rationally.....good luck with dat. :oops:
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:41 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:31 pm That option should be left to unit commanders. If a foot-dragger is a poor performer, use this as a quick ez way to admin discharge him/her.
And the new recruits, now that you told them vaccines are optional from 2021 on.......? What's your plan for that?

Yes. Let's see how much more of America we can trash to accommodate soft minds that are easily manipulated by social media. Makes sense.

Because who needs a healthy military? Can't picture a downside here.
EZ. ...don't swear in the unvaxxed. You have to be fit & healthy to get in.
> 95% of those now serving are vaxxed. That % can only go up. 100% of incoming must be vaxxed to get in.
This is only hard to understand if you don't want to understand.

The problem will be retaining the unvaxxed now in the Guard & Reserves.
Last edited by old salt on Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

In the meantime

not easy to get a cumulative total but looks like 400+ in 2000? not too far off. must've thrown in some motorcycle accidents to balance some of the ones we missed.

read the years lives lost study link, they might have neglected to mention or forgot to include kids for school closings.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:46 pm

In the meantime

not easy to get a cumulative total but looks like 400+ in 2000? not too far off. must've thrown in some motorcycle accidents to balance some of the ones we missed.

read the years lives lost study link, they might have neglected to mention or forgot to include kids for school closings.
Kids lives are too precious. I wouldn’t have gambled that COVID-19 would spare them. I am conservative when it comes to risk.
“I wish you would!”
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

From the ruling:

‘ “The vaccine mandate to which the governor objects is the one — in addition to the nine that already apply to all service members — intended to protect service members from the virus which has, in less than two years, killed more Americans than have been killed in action in all of the wars the United States has ever fought,” Friot wrote. “The court is required to decide the case on the basis of federal law, not common sense. But, either way, the result would be the same.”‘

Time to fish or cut bait.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:49 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:46 pm

In the meantime

Kids lives are too precious. I wouldn’t have gambled that COVID-19 would spare them. I am conservative when it comes to risk.
you'll have to bring them back to school sometime in your plan. we don't know more on that now than we did in summer 2000.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Kismet wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:08 pm
a fan wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:55 pm

I am just trying to explain my opinion of what they are doing. By now, they should have long ago realized the anti-vaxxers will never be happy.
Their real problem/concern is what happens if they start losing the vaxxers.

IMHO perhaps the problem is you're asking irrational people to act rationally.....good luck with dat. :oops:
imho -- it would have been better not to change any guidance until we see what omicron does. Explain the differences.
Don't induce a run on test kits. Distribute them where most needed.
Emphasize hospitalizations, ICU admissions & deaths as the key metrics for trends.
Distinguish omicron from delta + other variants.
De-emphasize number of cases, too dependent on test availability.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:42 pm EZ. ...don't swear in the unvaxxed. You have to be fit & healthy to get in.
But you don't need to be fit and healthy to stay in?

Makes perfect sense.

Up is down. Down is up.
old salt

Post by old salt »

PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:50 pm

From the ruling:

‘ “The vaccine mandate to which the governor objects is the one — in addition to the nine that already apply to all service members — intended to protect service members from the virus which has, in less than two years, killed more Americans than have been killed in action in all of the wars the United States has ever fought,” Friot wrote. “The court is required to decide the case on the basis of federal law, not common sense. But, either way, the result would be the same.”‘

Time to fish or cut bait.
No it isn't. That's my point. Active duty forces are > 95% vaxxed.
Not worth it to challenge the Governors on their Guard forces (yet).
Let omicron run it's course first, them press the issue if necessary.
@ now -- the juice is not worth the squeeze.
a fan

Post by a fan »

And on the therapeutics front.....I seem to remember someone getting shouted down for pointing out the bolded part below.

Plus, both pills only work if the patient takes them within five days of their first symptoms. That’s a prohibitively short window in a country where COVID testing is still inadequate. Many people won’t know they’re infected in time to get a prescription and start taking the pills. “A lot of people don’t get tested right away,” Redlener said. “If you don’t catch it early, three to five days, these pills won’t help you.”

Moral: vaccines are the only way out of this. Or death for the unvaxxed, of course. 100,000,000+ Americans are unvaxxed. Problem? What problem?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/dreams-of ... d?ref=home
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:03 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:42 pm EZ. ...don't swear in the unvaxxed. You have to be fit & healthy to get in.
But you don't need to be fit and healthy to stay in?

Makes perfect sense.

Up is down. Down is up.
Every time you post you reveal how little you know about this.

You still have to pass an annual physical, meet BMI standards & pass strenuous recurring PRT's.

Go bully somebody else, like gubment employees or unionized school teachers & administrators.

Return to “POLITICS”