All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

wgdsr

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by wgdsr »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:47 pm Omicron reinfection study. Indicates reinfection is 5 times more likely than delta reinfection.
hardly matters. we never bought into the natural immunity/reinfection thing other than saying we'd consider it thru a couple news cycles. then the news cycles stopped.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:58 pm
jhu72 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:47 pm Omicron reinfection study. Indicates reinfection is 5 times more likely than delta reinfection.
hardly matters. we never bought into the natural immunity/reinfection thing other than saying we'd consider it thru a couple news cycles. then the news cycles stopped.
“We”? (Not you).
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:09 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:58 pm
“We”? (Not you).
our nation, our policies, our mandates, our yada....
we.
we're all in this together...
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... estricted/

“ These laws — the work of Republican legislators — inhibit health officers’ ability to require masks, promote vaccinations or take other steps, such as closing or limiting the number of patrons in restaurants, bars and other indoor public settings. Often, the measures shift those decisions from health experts to elected officials at a time when such coronavirus-fighting strategies have become politically radioactive.”

Be amusing if they killed off all of their supporters.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Typical Lax Dad

PizzaSnake wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:22 pm https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... estricted/

“ These laws — the work of Republican legislators — inhibit health officers’ ability to require masks, promote vaccinations or take other steps, such as closing or limiting the number of patrons in restaurants, bars and other indoor public settings. Often, the measures shift those decisions from health experts to elected officials at a time when such coronavirus-fighting strategies have become politically radioactive.”

The Jim Jordan effect. These small town hillbillies are creating problems for the people that live in Cleveland, Columbus, Toledo, Dayton and Cincinnati….you know, where the tax base is.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

PizzaSnake wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:22 pm https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... estricted/

it would be amusing? to whom (or who... b'sun/the wire/a fan help me out here)?
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:46 pm

To whom.

Me, for one. These poor unfortunates have swallowed the entirety of the Big Lie (predates Trump, see Carlin’s “big club” fir explication. They don’t have the sense to come in out of the rain, so to speak. So complete is their befuddlement you can tell rhem the truth and they can’t hear it.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

PizzaSnake wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:46 pm

To whom.

Me, for one. These poor unfortunates have swallowed the entirety of the Big Lie (predates Trump, see Carlin’s “big club” fir explication. They don’t have the sense to come in out of the rain, so to speak. So complete is their befuddlement you can tell rhem the truth and they can’t hear it.
thanks. i see you.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:26 pm

To whom.

thanks. i see you.
Finally. Took you a while.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

PizzaSnake wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:49 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:26 pm

To whom.

thanks. i see you.
Finally. Took you a while.
i guess. gave you benefit of the doubt.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I could be wrong, but I suspect folks mean different things, feel different things, than perhaps others receive them.

I'm pretty darn sure I don't fully comprehend the emotions others feel on these topics.

Above is an example in which I wonder whether there's more anger than actual amusement at others suffering from their own choices, choices encouraged by others for political or economic gain (in this case, "Republican legislators" were cited).

Of course, I may be reading into Pizza's statement my own anger at the damage those who choose to endanger themselves and all those with whom they come into contact, who refuse to protect themselves from hospitalization and even death, costing doctors and nurses and all the rest of us in many, many ways. And my much greater anger at those who have exploited the "poor unfortunates" for political or economic gain.

That said, most of us do find a dark sense of humor in the Darwin Awards nominees each year...this just happens to be much more serious.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

~ The omicron variant may have developed in immunocompromised people, expert says: https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medica ... tp&pc=U531

~ COVID-19 vaccine shots won’t stop omicron variant, BioNTech leader says:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medica ... p&pc=U5313
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
tech37

Post by tech37 »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:01 am ~ The omicron variant may have developed in immunocompromised people, expert says: https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medica ... tp&pc=U531

~ COVID-19 vaccine shots won’t stop omicron variant, BioNTech leader says:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medica ... p&pc=U5313
Guess we're back to herd immunity?
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

From my Twitter feed this morning:

Dr. Craig Spencer, MD MPH
I’ve seen a lot of Covid in the ER recently.

With so many people getting infected recently, some folks may wonder what’s the point of getting vaccinated at all?

And is there really any value to a booster dose if I’ve had two Pfizer/Moderna or a shot of J&J?

My observations: (THREAD)

Every patient I’ve seen with Covid that’s had a 3rd ‘booster’ dose has had mild symptoms.

By mild I mean mostly sore throat. Lots of sore throat. Also some fatigue, maybe some muscle pain.

No difficulty breathing. No shortness of breath.

All a little uncomfortable, but fine.

Most patients I’ve seen that had 2 doses of Pfizer/Moderna still had ‘mild’ symptoms, but more than those who had received a third dose.

More fatigued. More fever. More coughing. A little more miserable overall.

But no shortness of breath. No difficulty breathing.

Mostly fine.

Most patients I’ve seen that had one dose of J&J and had Covid were worse overall. Felt horrible. Fever for a few days (or more).

Weak, tired. Some shortness of breath and cough.

But not one needing hospitalization. Not one needing oxygen.

Not great. But not life-threatening.

And almost every single patient that I’ve taken care of that needed to be admitted for Covid has been unvaccinated.

Every one with profound shortness of breath. Every one whose oxygen dropped when they walked. Every one needing oxygen to breath regularly.

The point is you’re gonna hear about a LOT of people getting Covid in the coming days and weeks.

Those that have been vaccinated and got a booster dose will mostly fare well with minimal symptoms.

Those getting two doses might have a few more symptoms, but should still do well.

Those who got a single J&J similarly may have more symptoms, but have more protection than the unvaccinated (if you got a single dose of J&J, please get another vaccine dose—preferably Pfizer or Moderna—ASAP!)

But as I’ve witnessed in the ER, the greatest burden still falls on…

The unvaccinated. Those who haven’t gotten a single dose of vaccine.

They’re the most likely to need oxygen. They’re the most likely to have complications. They’re the most likely to get admitted. And the most likely to stay in the hospital for days or longer with severe Covid.

These are all just observations from my recent shifts in the ER.

But the same has been borne out by local and national data showing that the unvaccinated make up a very disproportionate share of those with severe disease, needing hospitalization, and dying from Covid.

So no matter your political affiliation, or thoughts on masks, or where you live in this country, as an ER doctor you’d trust with your life if you rolled into my emergency room at 3am, I promise you that you’d rather face the oncoming Omicron wave vaccinated.

Please be safe. (Heart Emoji)
tech37

Post by tech37 »

RedFromMI wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:09 am From my Twitter feed this morning:

Dr. Craig Spencer, MD MPH
I’ve seen a lot of Covid in the ER recently.

With so many people getting infected recently, some folks may wonder what’s the point of getting vaccinated at all?

And is there really any value to a booster dose if I’ve had two Pfizer/Moderna or a shot of J&J?

My observations: (THREAD)

Every patient I’ve seen with Covid that’s had a 3rd ‘booster’ dose has had mild symptoms.

By mild I mean mostly sore throat. Lots of sore throat. Also some fatigue, maybe some muscle pain.

No difficulty breathing. No shortness of breath.

All a little uncomfortable, but fine.

Most patients I’ve seen that had 2 doses of Pfizer/Moderna still had ‘mild’ symptoms, but more than those who had received a third dose.

More fatigued. More fever. More coughing. A little more miserable overall.

But no shortness of breath. No difficulty breathing.

Mostly fine.

Most patients I’ve seen that had one dose of J&J and had Covid were worse overall. Felt horrible. Fever for a few days (or more).

Weak, tired. Some shortness of breath and cough.

But not one needing hospitalization. Not one needing oxygen.

Not great. But not life-threatening.

And almost every single patient that I’ve taken care of that needed to be admitted for Covid has been unvaccinated.

Every one with profound shortness of breath. Every one whose oxygen dropped when they walked. Every one needing oxygen to breath regularly.

The point is you’re gonna hear about a LOT of people getting Covid in the coming days and weeks.

Those that have been vaccinated and got a booster dose will mostly fare well with minimal symptoms.

Those getting two doses might have a few more symptoms, but should still do well.

Those who got a single J&J similarly may have more symptoms, but have more protection than the unvaccinated (if you got a single dose of J&J, please get another vaccine dose—preferably Pfizer or Moderna—ASAP!)

But as I’ve witnessed in the ER, the greatest burden still falls on…

The unvaccinated. Those who haven’t gotten a single dose of vaccine.

They’re the most likely to need oxygen. They’re the most likely to have complications. They’re the most likely to get admitted. And the most likely to stay in the hospital for days or longer with severe Covid.

These are all just observations from my recent shifts in the ER.

But the same has been borne out by local and national data showing that the unvaccinated make up a very disproportionate share of those with severe disease, needing hospitalization, and dying from Covid.

So no matter your political affiliation, or thoughts on masks, or where you live in this country, as an ER doctor you’d trust with your life if you rolled into my emergency room at 3am, I promise you that you’d rather face the oncoming Omicron wave vaccinated.

Please be safe. (Heart Emoji)
And obviously, all the more reason therapeutics should be available in the ER for anyone who needs them.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Last week one of the doctors in the office where my wife works became pretty sick and tested positive for Covid. His daughter tested positive and is thought to be the source. The doctors wife and three other kids are Covid free. My sisters daughter and husband both tested positive. They both have been anal retentive when it comes to protecting themselves from Covid. Can you really protect yourself or is it just a matter of time before you get Covid?
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:17 am Last week one of the doctors in the office where my wife works became pretty sick and tested positive for Covid. His daughter tested positive and is thought to be the source. The doctors wife and three other kids are Covid free. My sisters daughter and husband both tested positive. They both have been anal retentive when it comes to protecting themselves from Covid. Can you really protect yourself or is it just a matter of time before you get Covid?
My information says you can do a pretty good job of protecting yourself if you wear a N95/KN94 mask in public situations when you cannot avoid some contact (say going to the grocery store). Otherwise keep your close contacts to only those vaxxed & preferably boosted.

But the best protection is still vaccination by a LONG shot.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:17 am Last week one of the doctors in the office where my wife works became pretty sick and tested positive for Covid. His daughter tested positive and is thought to be the source. The doctors wife and three other kids are Covid free. My sisters daughter and husband both tested positive. They both have been anal retentive when it comes to protecting themselves from Covid. Can you really protect yourself or is it just a matter of time before you get Covid?
How many times do people have to remind others that it’s not just about themselves?

My son’s immunocompromised mother-in-law asked all family members to test before coming for Christmas Eve. His 3YO tested positive with just a runny nose so they stayed home. By Christmas night he, his wife, and their 2YO had the same symptoms. But guess what? Since my son and daughter-in-law are vaccinated and boosted they probably won’t die, or be a physical or financial burden on our public health system. Hooray!
Typical Lax Dad

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/man-d ... ar-AASbePl

I wonder if this will be called a COVID death in order to juice up the numbers?
“I wish you would!”
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:32 am
How many times do people have to remind others that it’s not just about themselves?

My son’s immunocompromised mother-in-law asked all family members to test before coming for Christmas Eve. His 3YO tested positive with just a runny nose so they stayed home. By Christmas night he, his wife, and their 2YO had the same symptoms. But guess what? Since my son and daughter-in-law are vaccinated and boosted they probably won’t die, or be a physical or financial burden on our public health system. Hooray!
Remind?

When did these “rugged individualists” ever understand the ifea of community and the responsibilities that accompany rheir “rights”?

Return to “POLITICS”