http://web1.ncaa.org/committees/committ ... =MLACRULES
stupefied

Re: How is New Shot Clock and Dive Rule going n Fall Ball

Post by stupefied »

good to know
palaxoff

Post by palaxoff »

I hate to admit, I like an idea from Quint. I agree once a team clears the midfield all shot clock resets should be 60 seconds while the team has possession
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

CU77 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:33 pm Complaining here has no impact.

Consider writing directly to the members of the Men's Lacrosse Rules Committee:

From what I recall, if you play two years of CLUB ball, at say, BYU (brigham young) and then want to transfer to Utah to play "real" lacrosse, you would only be eligible for two years. Is this correct? Also, don't club BOOSTERS have to follow Nc$$ guidelines???????????????? Huh......I know, strange.

The reason why I ask is, there are an equal number of young, men & woman, athletes playing lacrosse that don't play for a n$$a championship, but the nc$$ counts you playing as an athlete..........
...........point is, there isn't ONE representative on the rules committee for college club teams. Just saying.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

runrussellrun wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:07 am
CU77 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:33 pm Complaining here has no impact.

Consider writing directly to the members of the Men's Lacrosse Rules Committee:

From what I recall, if you play two years of CLUB ball, at say, BYU (brigham young) and then want to transfer to Utah to play "real" lacrosse, you would only be eligible for two years. Is this correct? Also, don't club BOOSTERS have to follow Nc$$ guidelines???????????????? Huh......I know, strange.

The reason why I ask is, there are an equal number of young, men & woman, athletes playing lacrosse that don't play for a n$$a championship, but the nc$$ counts you playing as an athlete..........
...........point is, there isn't ONE representative on the rules committee for college club teams. Just saying.
well, you can stop worrying about this, because it's not true.
in division 1, what you do have is 5 years of eligibility to complete 4 years of playing at a nc$$ school in any one sport, can go for a different sport in 5th year (or in years 2-5 if you're able) from the time you either register for classes, or step into a class. i think it's officially register.
club doesn't count.
exceptions include military, medical hardship, mission (which could happen in your example)... to extend beyond 5 years.

don't know about nc$$ rules re: boosters. nothing would surprise me.

your guy would have 3 years left.
fastgame

Post by fastgame »

I'm pretty sure if you play 2 years of club ball you still have 4 years of eligibility on the D1 level (you have 5 years to complete 4 years of playing eligibility).

http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/cu ... sfer-terms

Anybody who may have a complete understanding, please jump in.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Ouch. Evidence of what the crease dive is allowing.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu1kQ38h-i6 ... 5uewxvcvn4
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:18 pm Ouch. Evidence of what the crease dive is allowing.

only....it's not a dive...at all.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

That is the point....those sequence of events don’t happen if the O Player knows he can’t jump through or across the crease.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
DMac

Post by DMac »

fitzlax wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:41 pm
DMac wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:47 am Asked this question earlier but it's way back there and buried, so I'll ask it again.
Penalty is called (one minute in the box variety), the O is given a new 80 seconds. In the first 20 seconds of possession (after a save or TO) players can go over and back. When the team gets a new 80 on the clock on the penalty in their own end, could they take the ball beyond the mid field line for the first 20 sec of that possession?
The rules treat all cases where the the shot clock is set to 80 the same way. In all cases of a new shot clock, here's the wording.

Advancing the Ball into the Offensive Half of the Field
SECTION 16. a. Upon gaining possession of the ball an 80-second visible shot
clock shall start. The team in possession must have the ball in their offensive
half of the field when the shot clock reaches 60 seconds. Failing to do so will
result in a turnover. Possession will be awarded to the opposing team at the spot
where the ball was when the whistle blew to stop play. A ball in flight from the
defensive half of the field to the offensive half of the field that passes through
the plane of the midline prior to the shot clock reaching 60 seconds satisfies
the rule. The officials will enforce this rule by using the visible 80-second shot
clock.
This is interesting, I'm pretty darn sure the refs blew this call in the Hop-Cuse game yesterday. Hop had the ball on their end of the field, near mid field, with a full 80 on the clock. The ball handler was being harassed to the point that he went over and back with 70+ seconds on the clock (shot clock) and the ref called him for over and back, Hop lost possession of the ball. Think I was the only one in the stands thinking about this and I have to wonder if the refs are up on "every 80 second possession is treated the same", that's sure what the rule says. I haven't seen a replay of the game but I'm 99.999% sure this happened.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Is the stare down a hidden, added on rule this year, that no one is talking about?

Anyone else notice the ref mechanic where the other GLE refs joins the scoring teams congrats hug fest, staring the players down. Like they are looking for something. Third week in a row I have noticed this.

Forget which game, but pretty sure an Unsportsmanlike penalty was called on the team that had just scored. I know I am delusional, but is this happening??
fitzlax

Post by fitzlax »

DMac wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:38 pm
fitzlax wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:41 pm
DMac wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:47 am Asked this question earlier but it's way back there and buried, so I'll ask it again.
Penalty is called (one minute in the box variety), the O is given a new 80 seconds. In the first 20 seconds of possession (after a save or TO) players can go over and back. When the team gets a new 80 on the clock on the penalty in their own end, could they take the ball beyond the mid field line for the first 20 sec of that possession?
The rules treat all cases where the the shot clock is set to 80 the same way. In all cases of a new shot clock, here's the wording.

Advancing the Ball into the Offensive Half of the Field
SECTION 16. a. Upon gaining possession of the ball an 80-second visible shot
clock shall start. The team in possession must have the ball in their offensive
half of the field when the shot clock reaches 60 seconds. Failing to do so will
result in a turnover. Possession will be awarded to the opposing team at the spot
where the ball was when the whistle blew to stop play. A ball in flight from the
defensive half of the field to the offensive half of the field that passes through
the plane of the midline prior to the shot clock reaching 60 seconds satisfies
the rule. The officials will enforce this rule by using the visible 80-second shot
clock.
This is interesting, I'm pretty darn sure the refs blew this call in the Hop-Cuse game yesterday. Hop had the ball on their end of the field, near mid field, with a full 80 on the clock. The ball handler was being harassed to the point that he went over and back with 70+ seconds on the clock (shot clock) and the ref called him for over and back, Hop lost possession of the ball. Think I was the only one in the stands thinking about this and I have to wonder if the refs are up on "every 80 second possession is treated the same", that's sure what the rule says. I haven't seen a replay of the game but I'm 99.999% sure this happened.
Dmac, When during the game did it happen? The replay is available on ESPN3, so if you can give general info on when (which quarter, when during the quarter) this happened, it would be easy enough to look at the video.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Pretty sure it was during my second, maybe third, beer, fitz, am not crystal clear on it. If I can pull the game up, I'll watch it. Think there were 72 seconds on the shot clock when the call was made.

Edit: I don't see the replay listed, only one is the Brown-Va game and a few wlax games.
Am pretty darn sure it happens in the 2nd half and I'm thinking it was during the fourth quarter (3rd beer). Hop is given possession of the ball, might have been on a loose ball push call. Player takes the ball 5-8 yds inside the midfield line and is forced to retreat back over the line. Steps over and comes back to his side and over and back is called (fans are screaming for the call, 'cept for me...although I had no complaints about the call). If that game pops up, I'll re-watch it.
Edit #2: Found the game (replay) will see if I can find the call and give you the time to click on.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Okay, Mr. fitz, after a hundred hours of trying to find that play and listening to the non stop commentary (there can not be 30 seconds of dead time for the entire broadcast....man these commentators like to talk!!!!!!) of the broadcasters, and wondering if I had been hallucinating during the game (am not a drug guy, no reason I'd be having flashbacks), I found the play I THOUGHT had been called over and back. If you click on the game at the 51:20 mark (late in the 2nd...not the 3rd or 4th qtr...and still just one beer in) you'll see the face off and Fernandez for Cuse comes up with the GB. He throws a bad pass which rolls over the mid field line and Marr comes up with the GB on his side of the field, then comes over the mid field line and circles back to his side of the field. I thought he had been called for over and back (with 75+ sec on the shot clock) but it turns out he was just called for off sides. There were only two guys back when he crossed the mid field line. So, my bad, the refs did not blow the call...they got it right.
Whew.
fitzlax

Post by fitzlax »

Dmac,
Thanks for your research. I hope a pint or 2 was involved in the review.

When I come across refs before or after my son's games, I'll ask them about this scenario.
DMac

Post by DMac »

No pints involved, fitz, might not sound like it but I'm not much of a drinker...just in social settings.
With the original question which triggered all of this, this would be the kind of play/occasion where there would be a reason for a player to want to go over and back. Had there been three behind the line when Marr went over and back, the rules would allow him to do that (within the first 20 sec of the shot clock). Something you'd never see before the shot clock.
fastgame

Post by fastgame »

During the this past Saturday's Fairfield-Georgetown game, in the 4th Q a Fairfield attackman (#4) takes a dive towards the goal (and goalie IMO). Looks like he gets shoved(?) from behind while he's in the air as he flies into the GT goalie legs/knees. It seemed like the goalie could have caught this player with an elbow. I don't think after watching replay it's intentional, again just natural reaction throwing his arms up to protect himself. As the attackman lays inside the goal, the refs are having a discussion. The kid is still down as this conversation goes on, no Fairfield trainers coming out onto the field.

Flag is thrown, attackman given a 2 minute penalty for diving at the goalie. The young man did get up and as he's slowing jogging off the field you can see he's shaking his head in a motion like he's trying to shake it off, like he's dazed or feeling it in his neck? Hopefully he's ok.

Glad my goalie days are behind me, bad enough seeing rocks being rocketed towards my body, but to have a 160-175lb projectile coming at me? I rather have a 90+ mph rock hit me in the knees, I believe I would have had a much better chance at walking away from it. I like the shot clock, but as many here have suggested, the dive rule needs to be revisited.
reLAX

Post by reLAX »

fastgame wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:29 am During the this past Saturday's Fairfield-Georgetown game, in the 4th Q a Fairfield attackman (#4) takes a dive towards the goal (and goalie IMO). Looks like he gets shoved(?) from behind while he's in the air as he flies into the GT goalie legs/knees. It seemed like the goalie could have caught this player with an elbow. I don't think after watching replay it's intentional, again just natural reaction throwing his arms up to protect himself. As the attackman lays inside the goal, the refs are having a discussion. The kid is still down as this conversation goes on, no Fairfield trainers coming out onto the field.

Flag is thrown, attackman given a 2 minute penalty for diving at the goalie. The young man did get up and as he's slowing jogging off the field you can see he's shaking his head in a motion like he's trying to shake it off, like he's dazed or feeling it in his neck? Hopefully he's ok.

Glad my goalie days are behind me, bad enough seeing rocks being rocketed towards my body, but to have a 160-175lb projectile coming at me? I rather have a 90+ mph rock hit me in the knees, I believe I would have had a much better chance at walking away from it. I like the shot clock, but as many here have suggested, the dive rule needs to be revisited.
PERFECTLY SAID! 100% In agreement. How do we handle this going forward before someone can’t “slowly jog of the field”? Or a goalie has a season ending injury?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

runrussellrun wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:24 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:18 pm Ouch. Evidence of what the crease dive is allowing.

That’s Reid Bowering.
He’s played box for years, so he knows the dive play well and has put it to good use this year.
Bowering got a two minute (unreleasable? I think its non releasable) for that play.
No one was injured on that one.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:40 am
runrussellrun wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:24 pm

That’s Reid Bowering.
He’s played box for years, so he knows the dive play well and has put it to good use this year.
Bowering got a two minute (unreleasable? I think its non releasable) for that play.
No one was injured on that one.
For discussion purposes...was that the right call based on the currently written rule?
~Livy

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”