Ivy League 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
PizzaSnake

Re: Ivy League 2022

Post by PizzaSnake »

RumorMill wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:25 pm Assume most have looked at this:
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... -run/58732

Dartmouth’s schedule is discussed in their thread, primary thing I don’t like about it is the Ohio State game (arguably their toughest) scheduled before they play Harvard. I like the fact they scheduled Ohio, just not away on a Tuesday at 7pm before, on paper, their best chance for an Ivy win in a long time.

Excited to see what Neuman can do for Yale at the FO X. Love TD, but was disappointed he sidelined one of the best FO middies to come out of high school. Hoping he makes some noise early.

My preseason favorite is probably UPenn.

Happy Holidays!
Yes.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:01 pm
Laxbuck wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:53 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:18 pm
Laxbuck wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:13 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:44 pm
Can Opener wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:10 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:20 am
Can Opener wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:08 am This is getting real ugly, real quick. Gotta believe the Vegas line on a full Ivy season is now below 50%. If you care about Ivy lacrosse, write your school presidents and ADs a note ASAP.

Yale moves to orange alert level, sees highest single-day COVID case count
https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2021/12/ ... ase-count/
"Yale’s description of the orange alert level also states that instructional or non-instructional gatherings of any size are prohibited until transmission rates decrease, and that students in off-campus housing are restricted from campus, while students living on campus are restricted to campus. In the absence of a formal announcement from Yale, it is not yet clear if all of these restrictions will be put in place."
We don’t need writing campaigns. We need tens of millions of Americans who haven’t received a single Covid-19 vaccination to get their first shot and at the same time we need tens of millions of Americans who have received two shots to get their third booster shot. And we need hundreds of millions of Americans wearing their masks at all times indoors when in public or socializing outside their immediate household.

That will save the Ivy League lacrosse season (and possibly everyone’s lacrosse season).

DocBarrister
I always appreciate your wisdom and insights. I am a huge pro-vax person who is triple vaxxed myself, as is our family. Sincere question from a civilian: If every player on every Ivy League lacrosse team is triple vaxxed and every one of those players contracts Covid, statistically, how many would be hospitalized and how many would die? I suppose that is 350 very healthy 19-22 year olds. My guess is that the answer would be zero and zero, but that the answer if they are all unvaxxed would be worse. Am I in the right zip code?
Well, it’s terrific to know you are triple vaxxed (as am I). Safe holidays to you and your family.

In response to your question, if all Ivy athletes are triple vaxxed and they all somehow become infected with SARS-CoV-2, probably less than 5% will experience any serious illness (fewer than 20 out of 350) and maybe one or two will expire. Depends on the variant, exposure, personal medical history, etc. Considering that such a cohort is far healthier than the average population, it could very well turn out to be zero and zero, as you say.

If they were all unvaccinated? That’s a much uglier picture. Thanks.

DocBarrister
There are 70 division I teams with on average 50 per team
That’s 3500 D1 lacrosse players
A low estimate is that 1/3 have had Covid already
How many of that 1000 have been hospitalized or died?
What is your rate of incidence based on? 1 out of 3 has had COVID-19 and that’s low. Wondering what is the basis of the estimate?
It’s a very very low estimate just to make the point that more college lacrosse players have had Covid already than the total number who play in the Ivy League, and none have died. So to presume if all 350 of the IL lacrosse players were unvaccinated that 1-2 would die is based on zero empiric evidence.
Not sure IL canceled sports last year to keep athletes from dying…I read here that it was because the Ivy League is anti-sports.
:lol: :lol:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Sensible policy. Couple this with push for all students and staff to be boosted and looks like this gets handled sensibly.

Dartmouth Athletics to Restrict Spectators at Competitions

HANOVER, N.H. — The Dartmouth Athletics Department is restricting spectators at its athletics events through Jan. 18, 2022, in response to the rise of COVID-19 in the broader community after consulting with the college’s COVID Leadership Group and campus leadership.

“Based on the changes in policy the college announced for the start of the winter term, we are making decisions with the best interests of our student-athletes and staff — as well as the broader community — in mind,” said Interim Director of Athletics and Recreation Peter Roby ’79. “We will continue to work closely with the COVID Leadership Group and campus leadership to understand how subsequent policy changes will affect our operations. We remain committed to preserving as many athletic opportunities as possible.”

The following changes will be effective immediately through Jan. 18 (or as long as campus restrictions are in place):

• Events will continue to be held as scheduled.
• Events will not be open to the general public.
• In venues that have been approved for spectators, a limited number of guests of the student-athletes and coaches will be allowed on a pass list. The exact number of guests will be determined by the venue, engineering review, occupancy limits and consultation with the College COVID team.
• Consistent with the campus visitor policy, guests (five years of age and older) will be required to show proof of full vaccination or negative COVID-19 PCR test result within 72 hours of the event before entry.

As a result, tickets for all paid events through Jan. 18, 2022, will be automatically refunded through the original method of payment and a receipt will be sent to the ticket holder via email before Dec. 31. The ticket office will have reduced hours during the weeks of Dec. 20 and 27, but a representative will return calls and emails daily. Regular business hours resume on Jan. 4, 2022 (Tuesday-Friday 10 a.m.-5 p.m.).
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

Thank God we have the Ivy League leading the way. Joy Behar would be proud.
calourie

Post by calourie »

livelovelax wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:29 am Thank God we have the Ivy League leading the way. Joy Behar would be proud.
Texas A&M won't be playing in the Gator Bowl due to Covid infestation, Alabama FB team under strict isolation protocols ordered by coach Saban, too bad the SEC includes such a bunch of snowflakes.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

I think we will play the spring season.

1. All athletes have the ability to (and should) get the booster before they return to campus. The booster appears to reduce the risk of transmission meaningfully.

2. You can play and practice outdoors, even in colder environs -- transmission is meaningfully lower outdoors. Highly manage indoor interactions in locker rooms with rigorous masking. Use rapid daily tests to keep athletes with the virus out of the facility.

3. The athlete population looks more like the South Africa population (younger, fitter) in which hospitalizations were lower across the board.

4. In 2-3 weeks (by mid-January, hopefully) we should have more research that hopefully supports that although vaccine plus booster cannot prevent a good deal of breakthrough infections, it is highly protective against serious illness/hospitalization.

5. There is a decent chance that this will behave as it has done in other places -- a wave (now) that will recede quickly.

6. I don't think the Ivies can, for another year, cancel a full sports season without gutting their programs. I think they will realize this and keep playing this year.
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

I can guarantee it is not the players or coaches but the administrators forcing their hands leading to these decisions. This virus won't kill us as much as our fear and not choosing to manage risks combined with concerns over the liability aspect providing this perfect storm.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

livelovelax wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:03 pm I can guarantee it is not the players or coaches but the administrators forcing their hands leading to these decisions. This virus won't kill us as much as our fear and not choosing to manage risks combined with concerns over the liability aspect providing this perfect storm.
I agree. It’s crazy…..In other news:

https://www.fox5dc.com/sports/lawyer-ca ... micide.amp
“I wish you would!”
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

The ADs i have talked with are more worried about losing the winter seasons than the spring seasons. These waves have a two month pattern. Not enough data to book it but that is interesting
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

livelovelax wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:03 pm I can guarantee it is not the players or coaches but the administrators forcing their hands leading to these decisions. This virus won't kill us as much as our fear and not choosing to manage risks combined with concerns over the liability aspect providing this perfect storm.
The first sentence is correct, the second is just dumb.
800,000 Americans dead from the virus, not many from "fear"...
That said, I think Orfling's logic is likely to hold...sure feels like that way from all the vibes I've been getting from inside the tent.

I'm not sure why some posters are so twisted in knots that they want to attack Ivies at every turn, (didn't get in, kid didn't get in???) but this issue is challenging sports programs at most every level, every league. We're in the midst of a new wave and we don't have a ton of data just yet...but it does appear that circumstances may well be quite different than when we didn't yet have ubiquitous availability to vaccinations ala last year.

I'm predicting lax seasons occur and with fans in the stands.
Maybe a bunch of protocols to reduce risk to staff and community, but eminently doable.
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:32 pm
That said, I think Orfling's logic is likely to hold...sure feels like that way from all the vibes I've been getting from inside the tent.

I'm not sure why some posters are so twisted in knots that they want to attack Ivies at every turn, (didn't get in, kid didn't get in???) but this issue is challenging sports programs at most every level, every league. We're in the midst of a new wave and we don't have a ton of data just yet...but it does appear that circumstances may well be quite different than when we didn't yet have ubiquitous availability to vaccinations ala last year.

Maybe a bunch of protocols to reduce risk to staff and community, but eminently doable.
“I wish you would!”
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

The refusal of a significant minority of the people to vaccinate and boost is a significant contributor to this situation.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

OCanada wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:04 pm The refusal of a significant minority of the people to vaccinate and boost is a significant contributor to this situation.
What % of Ivy students are fully vaccinated? Does that stat exist?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

The Orfling wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:59 pm I think we will play the spring season.

1. All athletes have the ability to (and should) get the booster before they return to campus. The booster appears to reduce the risk of transmission meaningfully.

2. You can play and practice outdoors, even in colder environs -- transmission is meaningfully lower outdoors. Highly manage indoor interactions in locker rooms with rigorous masking. Use rapid daily tests to keep athletes with the virus out of the facility.

3. The athlete population looks more like the South Africa population (younger, fitter) in which hospitalizations were lower across the board.

4. In 2-3 weeks (by mid-January, hopefully) we should have more research that hopefully supports that although vaccine plus booster cannot prevent a good deal of breakthrough infections, it is highly protective against serious illness/hospitalization.

5. There is a decent chance that this will behave as it has done in other places -- a wave (now) that will recede quickly.

6. I don't think the Ivies can, for another year, cancel a full sports season without gutting their programs. I think they will realize this and keep playing this year.
where has it receded quickly?
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:19 pm
The Orfling wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:59 pm I think we will play the spring season.

SA
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:19 pm

SA
huh. source of data? i've seen several spots talk about how the formerly on fire province where johannesburg sits had settled down on some numbers, but bunch of others don't suggest as a country it's receded. 20k ish 7 day case average for the country. 20k posted today. article today stating they're still at 29% test positivity, where they've been for weeks.

hope it happens that way.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:11 pm

SA
huh. source of data? i've seen several spots talk about how the formerly on fire province where johannesburg sits had settled down on some numbers, but bunch of others don't suggest as a country it's receded. 20k ish 7 day case average for the country. 20k posted today. article today stating they're still at 29% test positivity, where they've been for weeks.

A negative attitude won’t help.
“I wish you would!”
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:41 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:32 pm

Completely agree, livelovelax’s second sentence is moronic and emblematic of the problem our nation is confronting in fighting misinformation and lies about Covid.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:38 pm

SA

hahaha. i will take this in 5 of the 17 ways this could mean!
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:43 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:38 pm

SA

hahaha. i will take this in 5 of the 17 ways this could mean!
Next it will be fear porn!
“I wish you would!”

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”