Cornell 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
mountainred

Re: Cornell 2019

Post by mountainred »

bigpappibear wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:27 pm It appears the Crown Clown folks concluded the best solution to their streaming problems from Friday was to not stream at all on Sunday.
That's one solution, I guess.
bigpappibear

Post by bigpappibear »

Well...better late than never. The stream is up. Same subpar setup as Friday.

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1vOxwZErryPJB
drunkmonkey30

Post by drunkmonkey30 »

There is a stream on their twitter feed now
mountainred

Post by mountainred »

Thanks. The lax talk radio broadcast is about second or two behind the video.
Trumansburger

Post by Trumansburger »

5-3 Towson after 1Q. Petterson has Cornell's goals. Ierlan in goal has made 2 saves. Towson dominating FO versus multiple CU players.
5-4 Towson a minute into 2Q. Donville from Piatelli.
5-5 goal Petterson (4) from Telesco.
6-5 CU goal Petterson (5).
7-5 CU goal Ward from Telesco.
8-5 CU goal Petterson (6) from Piatelli. Ierlan with 2 more saves.
9-5 CU goal Piatelli from Salvatore.
10-5 CU goal Petterson (7).
11-5 CU goal Donville.
11-6 stops 9 goal run by CU.
12-6 CU goal Petterson (8) assist from Teat.
Half.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Wow, a 9-1 2nd quarter for the Big Red!

WHCU audio, about 30 sec behind the video:
http://player.listenlive.co/41391

Stats:
http://judolphins.com/sidearmstats/mlax/summary

Cornell just 4 of 19 on FO, but has just 4 turnovers to Towson's 12.

2nd half video link:
https://www.pscp.tv/w/1BRKjXBmaaaJw
CU77

Post by CU77 »

15-8 Cornell end of 3rd.

18-11, final!

After Friday's game, and Towson's 4-1 early lead, I was definitely not expecting that!

LGR!
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

WOW, what can you say about such a gutty team. After the Penn State game, to come out less than 48 hours later and play such a great game and BEAT THE #1 TEAM IN THE COUNTRY. All Big Red fans have to be so proud today.

Funny how these things work. Chayse is obviously now our Goalie, and how about getting your first start against the #1 Team in the country, and now gets to face his BROTHER next week at Yale.

HUGE WIN for the following:
1. Confidence, especially after the Friday game
2. Momentum going into IVY opener against the defending National Champs
3. SEEDING come NCAA tornament time (having a win over a #1 will do wonders for that.

The OFFENSE when clicking can be argued is the best in the country, BUT today was all about DEFENSE, ONLY 4 TURNOVERS, GOALTENDING and DISCIPLINE.

It would be nice to better on the X but this game shows that faceoffs, though obviously important, can be overcome with great defense, and taking care of the ball.

What a job by this COACHING STAFF to have this team so ready for this game after a tough loss.

I dont know where CORNELL will be ranked tomorrow and I really dont care as we all know that this team can play and dominate ANYONE, when they are playing Cornell Lax.

OK, When was the last time we beat the #1? I cant remember.

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

joewillie78 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:18 pm WOW, what can you say about such a gutty team. After the Penn State game, to come out less than 48 hours later and play such a great game and
I believe Yale was ranked #1 going into the ILT final. Congratulations, super win over Towson today.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Wow, huge win for the Big Red, congrats. A convincing W over the #1 team too, very well done.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

FannOLax wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:21 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:18 pm WOW, what can you say about such a gutty team. After the Penn State game, to come out less than 48 hours later and play such a great game and
I believe Yale was ranked #1 going into the ILT final. Congratulations, super win over Towson today.
Possibly, and if YALE is ranked #1 tomorrow, then Cornell will play the #1 team back to back. What a scenario. Has that EVER happened?
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

joewillie78 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:26 pm
Possibly, and if YALE is ranked #1 tomorrow, then Cornell will play the #1 team back to back. What a scenario. Has that EVER happened?
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Joewillie, I agree with everything you say about how big this win was for the Big Red -- any win over a #1 is monumental, but coming after that dispiriting loss against Penn State makes it an extraordinary effort. Hard to see how the rankings will shake out but I am guessing that Duke will leapfrog all the way up to #1 -- they have two top 10 wins (Denver and Loyola) and a top 20 (Richmond) since that early stumble. Yale's win over unranked Michigan seems unlikely to give them the boost to the top spot (and the Elis haven't really played like the #1 team, yet at least). But, no matter the rankings, it will be a huge game! Brother against brother; two potent offenses; Cornell coming off the memory of thumping Yale in last year's ILT but Yale feeling good going into the game about getting more possessions from the X.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

The Orfling wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:46 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:26 pm
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Joewillie, I agree with everything you say about how big this win was for the Big Red -- any win over a #1 is monumental, but coming after that dispiriting loss against Penn State makes it an extraordinary effort. Hard to see how the rankings will shake out but I am guessing that Duke will leapfrog all the way up to #1 -- they have two top 10 wins (Denver and Loyola) and a top 20 (Richmond) since that early stumble. Yale's win over unranked Michigan seems unlikely to give them the boost to the top spot (and the Elis haven't really played like the #1 team, yet at least). But, no matter the rankings, it will be a huge game! Brother against brother; two potent offenses; Cornell coming off the memory of thumping Yale in last year's ILT but Yale feeling good going into the game about getting more possessions from the X.
I agree BUT I tell you what. Lehigh and Hobart are both playing great right now and either or both could move into top 20, making those Big Red wins look even better.

IF Penn State beats JVille, then I think we will see:
1. Duke
2. Yale
3. PSU
4. Cornell
5. Maryland

GOBIGRED
Joewillie 78
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

joewillie78 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:18 pm
HUGE WIN for the following:
1. Confidence, especially after the Friday game
2. Momentum going into IVY opener against the defending National Champs
3. SEEDING come NCAA tornament time (having a win over a #1 will do wonders for that.

The OFFENSE when clicking can be argued is the best in the country, BUT today was all about DEFENSE, ONLY 4 TURNOVERS, GOALTENDING and DISCIPLINE.

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
JW, good points, but how Towson does the rest of the year will dictate the effect of the win for RPI and NCAA tournament purposes. Towson being #1 today, won’t mean much if they fall flat the rest of the year.
Last edited by laxjuris on Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

Great win, this weekend may be looked at as a nice building block for this team.

Lessons in:

- perseverance
- confidence
- perhaps most for the D
- importance of 4 quarters of play
- settled the starting goal situation (I think)
- 2nd mids ability
- it’s dangerous to shut off Teat (perhaps more than not)
- freshman experience
- Fields
- Ierlan
- FO still a giant issue but can be overcome with low TO’s, successful ride, good goal play and good D

Always rooting for teams on our schedule except when they play other Ivy teams, now rooting for a Towson bounce back and Penn State to run the table until post season.
Last edited by RedIvy on Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Thanks to everyone for their commentary. Amazing win.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Listened to the game on the internet - WHCU with Leonard. Can anybody shed light on the validity of the calls that led to 11 man down situations. Leonard, who is even handed, seemed baffled by many of the calls and the broadcast team intimated that the game was called incredibly one-sided in Towson's favor. If so, it makes the win even more impressive.

One positive out of many to come from this game is that the coaching staff and team has adjusted to the lock off Teat game plan. Scoring 18 goals against a good defensive team may make teams think twice about the lock off going forward.
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

Chousnake wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:32 pm Listened to the game on the internet - WHCU with Leonard. Can anybody shed light on the validity of the calls that led to 11 man down situations. Leonard, who is even handed, seemed baffled by many of the calls and the broadcast team intimated that the game was called incredibly one-sided in Towson's favor. If so, it makes the win even more impressive.

One positive out of many to come from this game is that the coaching staff and team has adjusted to the lock off Teat game plan. Scoring 18 goals against a good defensive team may make teams think twice about the lock off going forward.
We have so many guys who can score, and with Piatelli’s emergence the lock-off is not nearly as effective this year than last.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Thanks, CU77. I like Petterson's "feed me" mime to Teat. Catching up on the stats, I had a few thoughts:

1. The shot clock has really changed the game. Without the ability to "sit" on a lead, the ability to play all four quarters, and realistically come back from behind is a big difference maker this year.

2. As many hypothesized pre-season, the Teat shut off is less effective this season. If you shut off Teat, you get the #12 MLL Draft Pick, and a long list of other accomplished players to defend.

3. I have yet to see a box score, but it looked like Cornell had fewer assisted goals than usual. It's good to know that we can go one-on-one if needed.

4. While it's not a be-all and end-all, I thought that Fleet Wallace going in the MLL draft was a good indicator of the team's sound raw materials to keep improving on defense.

5. The top 5 Ivies look strong, generally, with some really good wins, and some very close losses to quality opponents.

As was mentioned by others, a great test of team culture and resilience. It's a fantastic result to be 4-1 at this point in the season.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”