All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

PizzaSnake

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by PizzaSnake »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:04 pm
tech37 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:01 pm
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:54 am
Why wear a seatbelt when perfectly good paramedics are just a few minutes away?
Silly analogy. It's not an either or situation. The two anti-viral tools have different functions. We should have as much access to therapeutics as we do vaccines. Why is that so difficult to understand?
They want their "Democrat death panels."

:lol:
As opposed to the free market, capitalist death panels? At the highest cost and middling to poor results, I'd say the market is doing a pretty carppy job.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

jhu72 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:52 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:30 am
jhu72 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:14 am Florida is back in the top 5 for number of new cases per capita.
Pretty predictable, given the behaviors I'm seeing in public venues here.

Looks like our community may be about to go into a temporary lockdown, or at least tightening, mode again. Fortunately nearly every last soul has been vaccinated, and my informal 'polling' suggests nearly all have been boosted as well...have yet to run across anyone not boosted.

They'd lost a few staff members last spring when they insisted on vaccinations, but I'd say that the quality of staff has only improved, not suffered. They'd also insisted on all vendors coming on campus be vaccinated; don't see any issues from that but there may have been some...but nothing that wasn't able to addressed.

Pretty different impression if you go out to the grocery store, drug store, whatever, very few masks, but overall the county is over 60% vaccinated...but that's an awful lot of unvaccinated.

I think folks had been assuming they were done with their surge last summer, forgetting there was a big surge in Florida last winter. And a fair amount of MAGA overhang as well.

We're getting together with close friends this evening, including their kids who have traveled from SF and NYC...both tested negative, so ok...but the other son and his new wife had to bail out of coming as one tested positive just before coming fom NY. 87 year old grand mom here with Parkinson's. And they were going to visit the other grandparents in VA during the drive down...Bummer.
... Florida has seen the largest increase of new infections of any state over the past 14 days it appears. All this while the weather is still pretty good. -- the increase is a little surprising when you consider the natural advantage.
I'd like to see some marathon indoor dance and singalong parties at the Villages.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

PizzaSnake wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:47 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:04 pm
Silly analogy. It's not an either or situation. The two anti-viral tools have different functions. We should have as much access to therapeutics as we do vaccines. Why is that so difficult to understand?
They want their "Democrat death panels."

:lol:
As opposed to the free market, capitalist death panels? At the highest cost and middling to poor results, I'd say the market is doing a pretty carppy job.
yup!
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
ggait

Post by ggait »

youthathletics wrote: ↑Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:53 am
Interesting graph....hide it from the non vaxxers, it argues their case nicely.
I'd urge YA and others to read up on the development and roll out of the Salk polio vaccine. Talk about a bumpy ride...!!!

Salk cooked it up in about one years time at his lab at Pitt. And then started injecting volunteers with it -- himself, his wife and kids, and a few thousand school children in the Pittsburgh area. When people expressed skepticism over his limited data set, Salk launched a nation-wide test trail in 1954. 1.8 MILLION (!!!!) kids (called Polio Pioneers) aged 6-9 were truly used as lab rats for Salk's vaccine.

Salk's vaccine was approved in 1955 and rolled out widely. A badly manufactured batch was administered to 200k kids, paralyzing 250 and killing 10. But the vax efforts resumed/continued and the scourge of polio was eradicated in the USA by 1960. Eventually Salk's vacine was supplanted by Sabin's in the 1960s.

If the USA in the 1950s were filled with mouth breathing, snowflake, scaredey-cat, MAGA dumbasses like we are now and fueled by disinformating media, the Salk vaccine never would have seen the light of day.

And to suggest that those National Guarders being asked to follow the rules and get their shots (after 9 BILLION have been previously administered world wide) are "lab rats" is just so forking offensive. As USA military you'd think they would be able to man up like 6 year old kids did back in the 1950s.

JFC. What is wrong with these selfish mouth breathing Dumb-Fork-istanners?
Last edited by ggait on Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

ggait wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:17 pm
youthathletics wrote: ↑Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:53 am
Interesting graph....hide it from the non vaxxers, it argues their case nicely.
I'd urge YA and others to read up on the development and roll out of the Salk polio vaccine. Talk about a bumpy ride...!!!

Salk cooked it up in about one years time at his lab at Pitt. And then started injection volunteers with it -- himself, his wife and kids, and a few thousand school children in the Pittsburgh area. When people expressed skepticism over his limited data set, Salk launched a nation-wide test trail in 1954. 1.8 MILLION (!!!!) kids (called Polio Pioneers) aged 6-9 were truly used as lab rats for Salk's vaccine.

Salk's vaccine was approved in 1955 and rolled out widely. A badly manufactured batch was administered to 200k kids, paralyzing 250 and killing 10. But the vax efforts resumed/continued and the scourge of polio was eradicated in the USA by 1960. Eventually Salk's vacine was suplanted by Sabin's in the 1960s.

If the USA in the 1950s were filled with mouth breathing, snowflake, scaredey-cat, MAGA dumbasses like we are now and fueled by disinformating media, the Salk vaccine never would have seen the light of day.

And to suggest that those National Guarders being asked to follow the rules and get their shots (after 9 BILLION have been previously administered world wide) is just so forking offensive. As USA military you'd think they would be able to man up like 6 year old kids did back in the 1950s.

JFC. What is wrong with these selfish mouth breathing Dumb-Fork-istanners?
I would urge YA to read that excellent nature article and not just look at the pictures.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Bart wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:24 pm
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:04 am Deadly partisan divide: Gap between COVID deaths in red vs. blue counties larger than ever

Pro-Trump counties now have far higher COVID death rates. Misinformation is to blame

Wasn't sure if this thread or the "trolling" thread was more approrpriate.

Who could have dreamt that idiots and malcontents trolling on the internet would lead to tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of dead Americans.
Would like to see the data corrected for age.
I don't think I understand your comment, so I'm puzzled...

Are you suggesting that there's a difference in age of the population of "red" and "blue" or "Biden or "Trump" counties?

what's the hypothesis?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

PizzaSnake wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:50 pm
jhu72 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:14 am Florida is back in the top 5 for number of new cases per capita.

Looks like our community may be about to go into a temporary lockdown, or at least tightening, mode again. Fortunately nearly every last soul has been vaccinated, and my informal 'polling' suggests nearly all have been boosted as well...have yet to run across anyone not boosted.

They'd lost a few staff members last spring when they insisted on vaccinations, but I'd say that the quality of staff has only improved, not suffered. They'd also insisted on all vendors coming on campus be vaccinated; don't see any issues from that but there may have been some...but nothing that wasn't able to addressed.

Pretty different impression if you go out to the grocery store, drug store, whatever, very few masks, but overall the county is over 60% vaccinated...but that's an awful lot of unvaccinated.

I think folks had been assuming they were done with their surge last summer, forgetting there was a big surge in Florida last winter. And a fair amount of MAGA overhang as well.

We're getting together with close friends this evening, including their kids who have traveled from SF and NYC...both tested negative, so ok...but the other son and his new wife had to bail out of coming as one tested positive just before coming fom NY. 87 year old grand mom here with Parkinson's. And they were going to visit the other grandparents in VA during the drive down...Bummer.
... Florida has seen the largest increase of new infections of any state over the past 14 days it appears. All this while the weather is still pretty good. -- the increase is a little surprising when you consider the natural advantage.
I'd like to see some marathon indoor dance and singalong parties at the Villages.
Went to two Publix stores today in search of some Mason jars...none found...while there I took note of the mask vs non-mask...by my count, only 1 in 10 customers were, like me, wearing a proper mask. All Publix employees had a mask, some wearing properly, some not...the "manager" at one store who took me looking for the jars where they were supposed to be wore a mask, but had it down below his mouth and nose the entire time. At the other store, the manager had hers on properly. I was a bit surprised by how lax things were, given the spike in cases.

I mentioned this to the second manager, asking whether there was any realization that Florida was back on a huge spike in cases in the past weeks, now # 3 nationally in new cases per day per pop...nope, hadn't realized.

Ordered the jars from Amazon...
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/21/america ... usion.html

i have not vetted gordon for his takes, other than he gets quoted some somewhere in the media. but begs questions like what is our next move?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:45 pm

Went to two Publix stores today in search of some Mason jars...none found...while there I took note of the mask vs non-mask...by my count, only 1 in 10 customers were, like me, wearing a proper mask. All Publix employees had a mask, some wearing properly, some not...the "manager" at one store who took me looking for the jars where they were supposed to be wore a mask, but had it down below his mouth and nose the entire time. At the other store, the manager had hers on properly. I was a bit surprised by how lax things were, given the spike in cases.

I mentioned this to the second manager, asking whether there was any realization that Florida was back on a huge spike in cases in the past weeks, now # 3 nationally in new cases per day per pop...nope, hadn't realized.

You guys are just being juvenile now. It is up damned near everywhere...exponentially. :roll:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:57 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:45 pm

You guys are just being juvenile now. It is up damned near everywhere...exponentially. :roll:
sorry, I don't understand... what is "juvenile"?

Yes, it's up, pretty much all over...but there was a whole lot of crowing about how Florida wasn't going to have a problem this winter...I was rooting for that to be correct, but was skeptical, especially once we saw omicron emerging.

And such lax behaviors.

And here we are with Florida spiking super hard...I dunno what part of that discussion is 'juvenile'...
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

That wasn't the point. It's a perfect analogy of people who are anti-vax for no valid reason who then rely on emergency use monoclonals or potentially new emergency use pills after they get sick

Monoclonals also cost $2100 per dose and take up valuable nurses time administering them. New Pfizer pill is gonna be like $500 per treatment. vaccines are like $15. So a big warm thank you to all the anti-vaxxers wasting our tax money. :roll:
a fan

Post by a fan »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:50 pm https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/21/america ... usion.html

i have not vetted gordon for his takes, other than he gets quoted some somewhere in the media. but begs questions like what is our next move?
Get our vaxx rate up to where it was from 1970-2020 when we were all acting like grown ups (90%+).

This will all but empty the hospitals, which will in turn end all government interventions for things like distancing, masks, etc.....

...and we can all move on with our lives.

That's my move.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

a fan wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:09 pm
wgdsr wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:50 pm https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/21/america ... usion.html

Get our vaxx rate up to where it was from 1970-2020 when we were all acting like grown ups (90%+).

This will all but empty the hospitals, which will in turn end all government interventions for things like distancing, masks, etc.....

That's my move.
what's the plan?
a fan

Post by a fan »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:13 pm

That's my move.
what's the plan?
Well, since that's obviously not happening? I dunno....cut off all Federal Covid aid, and watch our rural hospitals collapse as a result. Maybe the anti vaxxers will get the picture when their fellow taxpayers aren't enabling their choices?

There's nothing we can do, but sit back, and enjoy another winter of economic damage to parts of America that can't afford the damage.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:03 pm sorry, I don't understand... what is "juvenile"?

Yes, it's up, pretty much all over...but there was a whole lot of crowing about how Florida wasn't going to have a problem this winter...I was rooting for that to be correct, but was skeptical, especially once we saw omicron emerging.

And such lax behaviors.

And here we are with Florida spiking super hard...I dunno what part of that discussion is 'juvenile'...
Why pick on or single out Florida? Do you all miss Pete that much or maybe throwing shade at Ron; juvenile.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

a fan wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:18 pm

That's my move.
what's the plan?
Well, since that's obviously not happening? I dunno....cut off all Federal Covid aid, and watch our rural hospitals collapse as a result. Maybe the anti vaxxers will get the picture when their fellow taxpayers aren't enabling their choices?

There's nothing we can do, but sit back, and enjoy another winter of economic damage to parts of America that can't afford the damage.
so back to square one. no plan there. fatigue will only grow if the virus doesn't peter out.

our next moves might be as interesting as those in the rear view mirror. what a case study.
Bart

Post by Bart »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:36 pm
Bart wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:24 pm
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:04 am Deadly partisan divide: Gap between COVID deaths in red vs. blue counties larger than ever

Pro-Trump counties now have far higher COVID death rates. Misinformation is to blame

Wasn't sure if this thread or the "trolling" thread was more approrpriate.

Who could have dreamt that idiots and malcontents trolling on the internet would lead to tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of dead Americans.
Would like to see the data corrected for age.
I don't think I understand your comment, so I'm puzzled...

Are you suggesting that there's a difference in age of the population of "red" and "blue" or "Biden or "Trump" counties?

what's the hypothesis?
Yup. I think they are more rural snd on average older.
a fan

Post by a fan »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:28 pm

That's my move.
what's the plan?

so back to square one. no plan there. fatigue will only grow if the virus doesn't peter out.
Yep. Biden can't make people take shots. So we're being held captive by toddlers.

This doctor sums up the entire mess perfectly, although he leaves out that taxpayers are footing the bill for these idiots.....

“What makes me the maddest,” one of my doctor friends told me, “is that these people will reject science right until the second they need everything I have to keep them alive, and then they feel that they can come to our door and be entitled to that help and that hard work.” This friend is characterizing the inconsistency in the behavior she sees in people declining a vaccine but then demanding medical care based on the same science. That inconsistency feels, to her and to other dedicated medical professionals trying to survive this pandemic, very much like dishonesty.

That's because it IS dishonest. You don't show up at the doctor if you don't believe in the doctor, sorry. If you want to be treated as a serious, rational adult....you have to behave like a serious, rational adult.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... rs/619716/
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

a fan wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:09 pm

That's my move.
what's the plan?

Yep. Biden can't make people take shots. So we're being held captive by toddlers.

This doctor sums up the entire mess perfectly, although he leaves out that taxpayers are footing the bill for these idiots.....

“What makes me the maddest,” one of my doctor friends told me, “is that these people will reject science right until the second they need everything I have to keep them alive, and then they feel that they can come to our door and be entitled to that help and that hard work.” This friend is characterizing the inconsistency in the behavior she sees in people declining a vaccine but then demanding medical care based on the same science. That inconsistency feels, to her and to other dedicated medical professionals trying to survive this pandemic, very much like dishonesty.

That's because it IS dishonest. You don't show up at the doctor if you don't believe in the doctor, sorry. If you want to be treated as a serious, rational adult....you have to behave like a serious, rational adult.

I would make these people fend for themselves unless they have a legitimate reason. People would not accept this kind of behavior from their children….. I didn’t.
“I wish you would!”
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:28 pm
a fan wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:09 pm

That's my move.
what's the plan?

I would make these people fend for themselves unless they have a legitimate reason. People would not accept this kind of behavior from their children….. I didn’t.
All this whining over simple mask and vaccine mandates. We have multiple generations of Americans who have no true understanding of diligence, perseverance, and patriotic civic duty.

As I mentioned in another thread … thank God we didn’t have to rely on these selfish and self-indulgent Fox-News-watching anti-vaxxers to win WWII.

Does anyone think these Trump-loving MAGA whiners could be relied upon to take Mt. Surabachi on Iwo Jima or to hold Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge?

I don’t think so.

DocBarrister :roll: :?
@DocBarrister

Return to “POLITICS”