~46~ Lame Duck Unfit Uncle Joe Biden ~46~

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
a fan

Re: ~46~ Unfit Uncle Joe Biden ~46~

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:34 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:18 pm
Kismet wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:03 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:42 pm White House incivility is what 'lost' Joe Manchin

https://thehill.com/opinion/white-house ... oe-manchin
What a snowflake :!: :!: :!: :!: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
huh? This is the supposedly offensive statement???

“I had a productive call with Speaker Pelosi and Majority Leader Schumer earlier today. I briefed them on the most recent discussions that my staff and I have held with Senator Manchin about Build Back Better. In these discussions, Senator Manchin has reiterated his support for Build Back Better funding at the level of the framework plan I announced in September. I believe that we will bridge our differences and advance the Build Back Better plan, even in the face of fierce Republican opposition.”
Manchin's own words....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5f-WBBkigo
Yeah, he sort of forgot to explain what he didn't like about the bill. Is that somewhere else, or is this it?

Quick Quiz, YA------without googling, how did Manchin vote on Trump's three enormous, pre Covid spending bills (the fourth was a military bill).

Bonus question: can you or Manchin tell me what was in those bills?

Pandering to his base. Which is fine, but this non-vote has nothing to do with wasteful spending.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:10 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:42 pm White House incivility is what 'lost' Joe Manchin

“I had a productive call with Speaker Pelosi and Majority Leader Schumer earlier today. I briefed them on the most recent discussions that my staff and I have held with Senator Manchin about Build Back Better. In these discussions, Senator Manchin has reiterated his support for Build Back Better funding at the level of the framework plan I announced in September. I believe that we will bridge our differences and advance the Build Back Better plan, even in the face of fierce Republican opposition.”
Yeah, he sort of forgot to explain what he didn't like about the bill. Is that somewhere else, or is this it?

Quick Quiz, YA------without googling, how did Manchin vote on Trump's three enormous, pre Covid spending bills (the fourth was a military bill).

Bonus question: can you or Manchin tell me what was in those bills?

Pandering to his base. Which is fine, but this non-vote has nothing to do with wasteful spending.
Guy can’t catch a break, I see you’ve finally accepted they are all the same. #taats 😂
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

The comment below sums it up perfectly:
My favorite conspiracy theory is that the government cares about you.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Remember the progressive mob, in their kayaks, harassing Manchin on his houseboat, then trapping him in a parking garage.

The Squad's storm troopers went after the wrong country boy.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

old salt wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:07 am Remember the progressive mob, in their kayaks, harassing Manchin on his houseboat, then trapping him in a parking garage.

The Squad's storm troopers went after the wrong country boy.
Joe Manchin shoulda done what Biden recommended:

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Twitter line of the day re Manchin
"You can live with him on his Luxury Houseboat. He has plenty of room for you. He changed the name from Almost Heaven to Go to Hell"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Kismet wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:08 am Twitter line of the day re Manchin
"You can live with him on his Luxury Houseboat. He has plenty of room for you. He changed the name from Almost Heaven to Go to Hell"

Who wants a friendly fanlax wager that Manchin shines like a diamond when the dust settles on this?
~Livy

Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:39 pm

Who wants a friendly fanlax wager that Manchin shines like a diamond when the dust settles on this?
Who is keeping score?
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:54 pm

Who is keeping score?
Deez. You on vacation....again?
~Livy

Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:56 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:54 pm

Who is keeping score?
Deez. You on vacation....again?
Year is done dude. You?
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

I would wager....but i have no clue what you mean here. Care to clarify? ;)
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:00 pm

Manchin has offered the perfect compromise if the Dems are smart enough to take it.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:58 pm Year is done dude. You?
Still a bit busy, winding down just today. We have tons of customers pushing to spend the last bit of cash before years end. Many sat on PO's signed contracts to the last minute, then found out manufacturers are increasing costs by close 10% in early 2022,....now they want to close the order ASAP to bypass the added cost. Just busy work....still have plenty of time to screw off.
~Livy

Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:18 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:58 pm Year is done dude. You?
Still a bit busy, winding down just today. We have tons of customers pushing to spend the last bit of cash before years end. Many sat on PO's signed contracts to the last minute, then found out manufacturers are increasing costs by close 10% in early 2022,....now they want to close the order ASAP to bypass the added cost. Just busy work....still have plenty of time to screw off.
Good. I should have taken the month off but I had nowhere to go. Good year. We will see what next year brings. I believe your sector did well. Anyway, stay safe…….BTW, hold deez! :lol: :lol:

I hope to see you at a lacrosse game this season.
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

old salt wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:12 pm

Manchin has offered the perfect compromise if the Dems are smart enough to take it.
Relevan excerpt from New York magazine :
Biden Should Take Manchin’s Deal Right Now
Politics is about making things better, not speaking truth to power.
By Jonathan Chait

Sunday morning, Joe Manchin threw a giant twist into the plot of the Biden presidency by announcing his opposition to the administration’s signature domestic agenda. But the new plot had a gaping hole: Biden noted that, a few days before walking away, Manchin had made a counteroffer to Biden at the White House.

What was the counteroffer? And why did Biden reject it?
Manchin’s proposal included universal pre-kindergarten, an expansion of the Affordable Care Act, and hundreds of billions of dollars in green energy spending, all totaling the promised $1.8 trillion.

The main conceptual difference between Manchin’s bid and Biden’s ask is that Biden is trying to fund more programs with the same amount of money and does it by phasing several of them out after a few years. Manchin opposes this from the right as a fiscally irresponsible scheme to start up programs that will get extended but lack any funding source. The more important argument against it is that these plans won’t be permanent, because a future Republican Congress will happily let them expire, which would mean the hard-won spending Biden negotiated will be for naught.

In order to make all the spending permanent, you have to cut some programs. Manchin decided to cut the Child Tax Credit, family leave, and child care. I would rather have all those programs, and if I had to keep one, I’d rather keep the Child Tax Credit. However, Manchin clearly holds the leverage here and is flaunting it by demonstrating his willingness to walk away with no deal.

For Biden to defeat Donald Trump, then watch his domestic agenda go up in flames over “incivility” would be the stupidest possible outcome. Biden’s offending statement was so mild that, if Trump had said it, neutral reporters would be praising his growth and dignity.

The real catch is the expiration of the expanded Child Tax Credit that Biden extended earlier in the year — which, if not extended, will cause immediate pain for low-income families. Taking Manchin’s deal would mean finding another avenue to extend the CTC.

There are possibilities. Last February, Mitt Romney introduced a plan for a generous CTC that was, in fact, designed to deliver benefits more effectively than Biden’s own plan. Romney’s plan had several downsides: First, it’s paid for by cutting other anti-poverty programs. Second, it’s also paid for by eliminating the deduction for state and local taxes, which would generate opposition from a key handful of blue-state Democrats. And third, it drew immediate opposition from Republicans like party weathervane Marco Rubio and democracy-hater Mike Lee. Zero Republican senators came out for Romney’s plan.

However, if Manchin is implacably opposed to a CTC expansion, Romney could theoretically replace him as a 50th vote, if Romney agrees to move such a deal in a new budget-reconciliation bill. Romney would have enormous leverage over any such bill, though the imprimatur of another bipartisan plan might draw in a handful of Republican moderates in the House and perhaps Susan Collins or Lisa Murkowski.

Romney, for his part, appears to have a keen interest in negotiating a Child Tax Credit:

In any case, taking Manchin’s deal doesn’t mean giving up on an expanded CTC. It would force Democrats to find some creative legislative solution. Maybe Romney would want to work on a signature domestic bill he could all but design himself. Maybe the sudden end of the checks would create a new groundswell to extend them that’s currently absent.

Either way, Manchin’s proposal gives Biden something vastly superior to the failure of Build Back Better. He would have the largest green-energy investment in history plus the creation of a permanent pre-kindergarten plan plus making health insurance universally available. He should beg Manchin’s forgiveness for his oh-so-rude statement and sign the deal tomorrow.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Sorry...still don't know what you two are talking about here.....
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:26 pm

Sorry...still don't know what you two are talking about here.....
See my post above.
Brooklyn

Re: Fit Uncle Joe Biden ~46~

Post by Brooklyn »

Manchin should get the Benedict Arnold award for treason to his party and to the USA:

https://media.timesfreepress.com/img/ph ... 299105.jpg

meantime, he'll be enjoying his coal profits:

https://i2.wp.com/www.dailycartoonist.c ... 211217.png
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:25 pm

Relevan excerpt from New York magazine :
Biden Should Take Manchin’s Deal Right Now
Politics is about making things better, not speaking truth to power.
By Jonathan Chait

Sunday morning, Joe Manchin threw a giant twist into the plot of the Biden presidency by announcing his opposition to the administration’s signature domestic agenda. But the new plot had a gaping hole: Biden noted that, a few days before walking away, Manchin had made a counteroffer to Biden at the White House.

What was the counteroffer? And why did Biden reject it?
Manchin’s proposal included universal pre-kindergarten, an expansion of the Affordable Care Act, and hundreds of billions of dollars in green energy spending, all totaling the promised $1.8 trillion.

The main conceptual difference between Manchin’s bid and Biden’s ask is that Biden is trying to fund more programs with the same amount of money and does it by phasing several of them out after a few years. Manchin opposes this from the right as a fiscally irresponsible scheme to start up programs that will get extended but lack any funding source. The more important argument against it is that these plans won’t be permanent, because a future Republican Congress will happily let them expire, which would mean the hard-won spending Biden negotiated will be for naught.

In order to make all the spending permanent, you have to cut some programs. Manchin decided to cut the Child Tax Credit, family leave, and child care. I would rather have all those programs, and if I had to keep one, I’d rather keep the Child Tax Credit. However, Manchin clearly holds the leverage here and is flaunting it by demonstrating his willingness to walk away with no deal.

For Biden to defeat Donald Trump, then watch his domestic agenda go up in flames over “incivility” would be the stupidest possible outcome. Biden’s offending statement was so mild that, if Trump had said it, neutral reporters would be praising his growth and dignity.

The real catch is the expiration of the expanded Child Tax Credit that Biden extended earlier in the year — which, if not extended, will cause immediate pain for low-income families. Taking Manchin’s deal would mean finding another avenue to extend the CTC.

There are possibilities. Last February, Mitt Romney introduced a plan for a generous CTC that was, in fact, designed to deliver benefits more effectively than Biden’s own plan. Romney’s plan had several downsides: First, it’s paid for by cutting other anti-poverty programs. Second, it’s also paid for by eliminating the deduction for state and local taxes, which would generate opposition from a key handful of blue-state Democrats. And third, it drew immediate opposition from Republicans like party weathervane Marco Rubio and democracy-hater Mike Lee. Zero Republican senators came out for Romney’s plan.

However, if Manchin is implacably opposed to a CTC expansion, Romney could theoretically replace him as a 50th vote, if Romney agrees to move such a deal in a new budget-reconciliation bill. Romney would have enormous leverage over any such bill, though the imprimatur of another bipartisan plan might draw in a handful of Republican moderates in the House and perhaps Susan Collins or Lisa Murkowski.

Romney, for his part, appears to have a keen interest in negotiating a Child Tax Credit:

In any case, taking Manchin’s deal doesn’t mean giving up on an expanded CTC. It would force Democrats to find some creative legislative solution. Maybe Romney would want to work on a signature domestic bill he could all but design himself. Maybe the sudden end of the checks would create a new groundswell to extend them that’s currently absent.

Either way, Manchin’s proposal gives Biden something vastly superior to the failure of Build Back Better. He would have the largest green-energy investment in history plus the creation of a permanent pre-kindergarten plan plus making health insurance universally available. He should beg Manchin’s forgiveness for his oh-so-rude statement and sign the deal tomorrow.
Sorry I missed this-----I didn't see this counter offer to Biden from Manchin anywhere else. Is there another source?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

We don't know that Manchin actually made a concrete proposal, he certainly hasn't presented something concrete to public view, nor to his fellow Senators, so this appears to be speculation that this may be what he has been meaning...may be wishful thinking, though for all we actually know.

Apparently he and Biden agreed to table it until the New Year, but then he went on Fox to say the conversation's dead on anything remotely similar in scale to this $#. So, not so sure he actually made this proposal...

But sometimes, it's not what is actually said, but what one 'chooses' to hear and then accept, giving cover for them all to get to a yes...Manchin's taking heat on the CTC because so many of his constituents receive it and he's even taking heat from the coal miner's union because the BBB had a bunch of stuff they really liked...the Goldman Sach's prediction of lower growth etc are all factors...

Personally, I think they should table it for the moment and get a talking filibuster reform done, pass voting legislation, and then take each piece of the BBB to the floor...some of it may well pick up some bi-partisan support. Climate. Pharmaceuticals, etc. Do CTC retroactively.

Return to “POLITICS”