VIRGINIA Lacrosse

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DALaxDad

Re: VIRGINIA Lacrosse

Post by DALaxDad »

If i recall, Tierney pulled his goaltender in the NCAA finals. I can't remember the details, though.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

LaxNumbers - About Us
Larry Feldman, founder of Laxpower, and Ranking Technologies, founder of MYHockey Rankings, joined forces to create Laxnumbers in February of 2019. With over 40 years of experience in the rankings industry combined, Laxnumbers' mission is to create a centralized database of lax related information while providing high school, college and pro lacrosse rankings to the lacrosse community across North America.
Laxnumbers is, according to a post on The Sabre, the replacement for LaxPower? I haven't fully peeled this onion but at first, it appears to be a statistics-based, supplement/adjunct to FANLAX.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Laf is doing LaxBytes and Laxnumbers, both.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

DMac wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:44 pm Right, love taps when delivered by a Va boy.

There's a little history there that you might not be aware of, MDlax.

That said, glad you enjoyed it, murph, a nice venue indeed, particularly in Feb and March.
Yes, enthusiastic and knowledgeable fans make up the majority of Cuse fans (there are exceptions just like everywhere else of course). 3,900 in attendance, makes for a pretty good atmosphere.
I meant to follow up on this sooner. Do have any idea whether or not the NCAA keeps statistics on crowd size. I bet a few beverages, estimating the crowd size at the St.Patrick's Day parade but that's it!
boxlacrosse

Post by boxlacrosse »

wahoomurf wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:28 pm
DMac wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:44 pm Right, love taps when delivered by a Va boy.

That said, glad you enjoyed it, murph, a nice venue indeed, particularly in Feb and March.
Yes, enthusiastic and knowledgeable fans make up the majority of Cuse fans (there are exceptions just like everywhere else of course). 3,900 in attendance, makes for a pretty good atmosphere.
I meant to follow up on this sooner. Do have any idea whether or not the NCAA keeps statistics on crowd size. I bet a few beverages, estimating the crowd size at the St.Patrick's Day parade but that's it!
I hear the national park service is controversially accurate.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Don't know what you're getting at here, murph, but I think the Dome is fairly accurate with their attendance announcements. Have been going there for quite a few years and have a fairly good eye for estimating crowd size, it looked to be 3,900 or so to me.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Official attendance number was 3868, some will quibble but enjoyable for all players and fans when games have good crowds. Dome cavernous but fans of each team dont get drown out. UVA attendance is usually solid , think they run higher than Duke ,ND or UNC. That intimacy of that indoors ND Maryland game was unique, imagine that factored a bit.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

DMac wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:04 am

Don't know what you're getting at here, murph, but I think the Dome is fairly accurate with their attendance announcements. Have been going there for quite a few years and have a fairly good eye for estimating crowd size, it looked to be 3,900 or so to me.
No offense. I actually thought that figure was low. Just wondering if any other teams play their regular season games in front of such large crowds.
DMac

Post by DMac »

None taken, must have missed something along the way with all this. Cuse always ranks at the top in attendance (as you experienced, not a bad place to catch a game in Feb, March, or in those April showers that bring May flowers). Hard core who always pretty much show up is 2,500 or so which goes up when Va, Hop, UA, Cornell, ND, show up. Crowds should be thousands more, IMO. On one of the wlax threads it was mentioned that 3,900 showed up for a wlax game (was a big one, can't remember which one), they've come a long way, baby.
jhu93

Post by jhu93 »

DALaxDad wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:31 am If i recall, Tierney pulled his goaltender in the NCAA finals. I can't remember the details, though.
He replaced Patrick Cairns with Pancho Gutstein in 1996, I thought that it was in the semis against Cuse but he actually might have made the switch in the final also.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Brown giving UVA a lesson on defense in the first half. Showing how Zone off and on builds goalie confidence with deep outside shots/saves. Proof would be their MDD is better than their 6v6.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
DMac

Post by DMac »

Thought this one was on at 1 o'clock, thanks youth.
7-6 Brown at the half.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Well, I guess the worst thing you can do when playing Virginia is go up by 4. Another come from behind OT win for the Cavaliers. Great GK play on both sides, a shame one of them gets the L for this one. Great game.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

well said dmac.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
HowieT3

Post by HowieT3 »

DMac wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:00 pm Thought this one was on at 1 o'clock, thanks youth.
7-6 Brown at the half.
It was and then the time was changed on Tuesday to accommodate Brown's bus ride home.
52 70 72 99
03 06 11 19 21
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:26 pm well said dmac.
Heading to CHO to fly home. I did witness some of you and DMAC saw. When I get back home, I'm going to take a close look at the replay. To paraphrase my former neighbor Rudy, "I want to make sure I watched, what I think I watched, but maybe I did or didn't watch what, I thought I'd watched". ;)

Both keepers stood on their respective heads. Conrad is the heart and soul of that team. But the Hoos were sloppy. Bruno is too good a team to take for granted.
Last edited by wahoomurf on Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

DMac wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:00 pm Thought this one was on at 1 o'clock, thanks youth.
7-6 Brown at the half.
Originally Daly asked to start the game at 11 A.M. Was high noon a compromise? Midterms begin tomorrow on the Hill.
HowieT3

Post by HowieT3 »

wahoomurf wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:26 pm
7-6 Brown at the half.
Originally Daly asked to start the game at 11 A.M. Was high noon a compromise? Midterms begin tomorrow on the Hill.
I would imagine so. The game was today rather than yesterday because of b-ball.
52 70 72 99
03 06 11 19 21
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

The guys (Lars) need to spend more time on beating a zone. The exchanges were not crisp. The time it takes for a player to adjust to a sloppy pass gives ample time for the defense to get back into rhythm. No excuses for such a skilled, experienced team. Stick high, ear hole, basic 101 stuff.

Why was Laviano replaced on man-up?

Goss is a terrific stopper. IMO, the lads took too many outside shots. Lots of easy saves.

Outhustled on ground balls? Were those guys better conditioned? Running in snow banks is tough. Gotta lift those knees.

Bruno is a fine team. Yet for most of Q-1, it looked like we didn't take them seriously.

We let Bruno take too many shots. Thank Yahweh, Rode stepped up.....big time.

FOs were inconsistent. Or was their guy that good?

Conrad is such an important cog in the wheel. Timely, stellar wing play, feeding skill, hustling his chords off.Leadership!
anotherbighoofan

Post by anotherbighoofan »

wahoomurf wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:50 am The guys (Lars) need to spend more time on beating a zone. The exchanges were not crisp. The time it takes for a player to adjust to a sloppy pass gives ample time for the defense to get back into rhythm. No excuses for such a skilled, experienced team. Stick high, ear hole, basic 101 stuff.

Why was Laviano replaced on man-up?

Goss is a terrific stopper. IMO, the lads took too many outside shots. Lots of easy saves.

Outhustled on ground balls? Were those guys better conditioned? Running in snow banks is tough. Gotta lift those knees.

Bruno is a fine team. Yet for most of Q-1, it looked like we didn't take them seriously.

We let Bruno take too many shots. Thank Yahweh, Rode stepped up.....big time.

FOs were inconsistent. Or was their guy that good?

Conrad is such an important cog in the wheel. Timely, stellar wing play, feeding skill, hustling his chords off.Leadership!
Perfect questions. IMHO and experience the lack of cohesion in any team at this level is the result of a survival of the fittest mentality and fomented by focus on stats in a sport where there a lot of meaningless stats. there is not stat for leadership.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”