Brown 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
bearlaxfan

Re: Brown 2019

Post by bearlaxfan »

Just watched the 'Cuse/'Hoos replay. Oh my. Bears better make sure hats, chinstraps, etc buckled up and in tip top shape.
Counselor

Post by Counselor »

With Va. totaling 15 vs. the Cuse in the Dome; and Brown letting in 13 v. UMBC (7 saves for Goss) I don't see how Lars possibly can keep it under 20 against his alma mater at Klockner next Sunday......might be in the same mid-20's range that an angry Yale (alleged cheap/late shot against Gaudet) laid on Brown last season at Brown......Tiffany won't be angry; just helpless to prevent a beat-down....can both teams agree to waive the 80 second shot clock when it gets to over 20 ?!
J.S. Carberry

Post by J.S. Carberry »

bearlaxfan wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:33 pm Just watched the 'Cuse/'Hoos replay. Oh my. Bears better make sure hats, chinstraps, etc buckled up and in tip top shape.
Was watching this game on TV while streaming Brown. Each time I looked up from my laptop, it was night and day. There is a very clear talent disparity between Brown and UVA. Unfortunately, I think the days when Brown had the horses to beat these powerhouse ACC teams are gone for the foreseeable future. Would love to be proven wrong, but my head has to agree with Counselor - this could be a bloodbath.

Let’s hope UVA is a little too arrogant after the brilliant comeback against Cuse, and takes us lightly. Lars certainly won’t, but maybe his players will. We should score a decent amount, as the UVA defense is nothing special, but I can’t reasonably say I expect us to hold them to under 20.
InDeoSperamus

Post by InDeoSperamus »

Oh ye of little faith! The Bears have so far outplayed each of their opponents everywhere except between the pipes and at the faceoff. The latter saw meaningful improvement yesterday and the former has been a significant aberration in the last 2 games which can happen over the course of a full season. The Hoos are an incredibly talented group and Lars is an excellent coach, but this Bears squad will be a formidable opponent if faceoffs continue to improve or even hold their own and our net minding returns to being one of the best in the business.
J.S. Carberry

Post by J.S. Carberry »

FWIW (not much), the Inside Lacrosse computer projection has us losing 17-14. https://www.insidelacrosse.com/game/221/19

I don’t think that would be the worst thing in the world. Hanging tough with a good ACC team on the road would be a positive result. IDS, I agree that Brown has the pieces to be a decent squad this year and I actually really like what I’ve seen out of the offense so far, but I remain unconvinced that the defense can slow the likes of Virginia down. But you’re right about Goss - if he regains his form, we have a huge advantage in every game we play.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

IL's weekend review column has a bit on the game and more from the coach than the Brown lax website does.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

InDeoSperamus wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:24 am Oh ye of little faith! The Bears have so far outplayed each of their opponents everywhere except between the pipes and at the faceoff.

Thank dog those two positions aren't that important to success! The neverending Christian argument: faith>deeds, or deeds>faith? No Calvinists on the scoreboard.
InDeoSperamus

Post by InDeoSperamus »

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." - St. Thomas Aquinas

Defensively, Brown is 6th in the country in shots on goal allowed per game, behind only Air Force, Denver, Duke, Lehigh and Yale which are all known as some of the most formidable defensive units in the game. So despite being 2nd to last in the country in saves per game ahead of only Yale, Brown is still in the top half of the nation in scoring defense while Yale is not.
Offensively, the Bears are 6th in the country in scoring per game and 7th in the country in points per game with 2 among the NCAA leaders in points and goals per game.
Faceoff performance was very strong versus UMBC and now stands at 55%, 18th in the country.
I have absolute faith the Bear's performance between the pipes will improve. Brown has one of the best goalies in the game and I have no doubt that will prove out by the end of the season.

"Ya gotta have faith." - George Michael
molo

Post by molo »

Never expected an Aquinas quote on a message board for a formerly Baptist institution.
molo

Post by molo »

When the former Brown coach and present UVA coach led his alma mater against his present employer, things got ugly quickly in the third period if I recall correctly. Can the Bruins count on a letdown after the defeat of the Cuse in the Dome, or is UVA going to come with that breakout game that seems just around the corner?
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

InDeoSperamus wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:12 pm "To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." - St. Thomas Aquinas

Defensively, Brown is 6th in the country in shots on goal allowed per game, behind only Air Force, Denver, Duke, Lehigh and Yale which are all known as some of the most formidable defensive units in the game. So despite being 2nd to last in the country in saves per game ahead of only Yale, Brown is still in the top half of the nation in scoring defense while Yale is not.
Offensively, the Bears are 6th in the country in scoring per game and 7th in the country in points per game with 2 among the NCAA leaders in points and goals per game.
Faceoff performance was very strong versus UMBC and now stands at 55%, 18th in the country.
I have absolute faith the Bear's performance between the pipes will improve. Brown has one of the best goalies in the game and I have no doubt that will prove out by the end of the season.

James 2:14. New King James Version (NKJV)
"Faith Without Works Is Dead
14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him?"
I swear, my last religious ref.

More importantly, can faith save an Aitken 10 yard low-to-high?
Sting The Corner

Post by Sting The Corner »

To be fair, Goss has demonstrated quite clearly over two years that he’s a top tier goalie (he’s been absolutely shelled as a Frosh and Soph and really hung tough.) It’s much more likely that he will return to form than go through the year @ 40%. I think he started 2018 with some duds and really warmed up as the year went on.
Charlie Don't Surf

Post by Charlie Don't Surf »

92 will be fine over the course of the season and for sure by the time Brown hits Ivy play. Not worried about him. His second half last week looked good. Also hopeful with 8 at F/O. Has been very good thus far--59%. Agree with In Deo Speramus, like the way the O and D have been playing. We will see SUN whether the Bears can pull it all together and get the W.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

InDeoSperamus wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:12 pm "To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." - St. Thomas Aquinas

"Lies, damn lies, statistics"
Look at the respective competition these teams have played to rack up these numbers.

Back to page 1
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Anybody willing to predict score? I'm going UVA 2x, Brown x, with x~9. A legit margin of 5 or less (meaning not a garbage-time run) is a good sign. A Bears win obviously a great sign.

Go Bruno!
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

4-4 after one. Goss playing as advertised for maybe 1st time this year. Bears have to have good quick passing because they really can't beat anyone 1v1. Pleasantly surprised at the decent shots middies getting. Conrad is a beast; practically a 5th longpole. FO will be the killer issue. Best chance is to muck it up, but UVa wings are +++ gb-ers.
middleAgedBear

Post by middleAgedBear »

Terrible, served up on a platter for UVA. Why didn't Daly call TO when Brown had ball and his Mid was about to get mauled? I was yelling TO at the TV!
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Argh! Tough OT loss for Brown. They played a great game overall against #13 UVA but couldn't close it out despite a tremendous effort from Goss in goal. Missed EMO opportunities (0 for 6?) and some rough turnovers down the stretch (including the one giving UVA the possession on which it scored the OT goal, in which a UVA substituting pole came up behind the unsuspecting Brown mid who had cleared the ball and took the ball from him) will probably sting in retrospect. Great effort, though, and credit to UVA for coming back from a 4-goal 4Q deficit.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Great effort but either ran out of gas or Virginia exerted more effort on rides in Q4 when the Bears couldn't seem to buy a clean clear, as well as UVa extending the D pressure in the 4th when the Bears had the ball on O. The 50/50s and faceoffs the Bears were doing a decent job on in 1-3 started going to the 'Hoos as well.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

middleAgedBear wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:23 pm Terrible, served up on a platter for UVA. Why didn't Daly call TO when Brown had ball and his Mid was about to get mauled? I was yelling TO at the TV!
He was arguing with the ref that he was calling for a TO and didn’t get it.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”