School Closings

General Chatter
Farfromgeneva

Re: School Closings

Post by Farfromgeneva »

He loves hockey, used to be an owner of a minor league team in Gwinnett (also kicked the tires on investing in the NHL thrashers when they were here but NHL is shaky as a minority investor and pro sports outside NFL has never done well here) originally was supposed to go to play hockey at RPI but couldn’t afford it so went to Tech instead and stayed in Atlanta. Not a southerner as a kid, bounced around Utica, NY, Milford CT, N N.J. and ended HS in Bel Air, MD only adopted the south since going to Atlanta in 1978 and still plays hockey in adult leagues at 60 (soon to be 61) in a suburb north of the city here.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

So the provision was almost included as a way to reward them if they started hockey? Neat. I have spent many summers attending the annual Lobster Bake in Milford.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Exactly, though I somehow doubt it will happen.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Classic Consultant Four-Quadrant Analysis
https://www.profgalloway.com/uss-university

Measuring:
1. Value: (Credential * Experience * Education) / Tuition.
2. Vulnerability: (Endowment / Student and % International Students).

Gets you the four quadrants:
1, Thrive
2. Survive
3. Struggle
4. Face Significant Challenges

Even if you find the editorializing tendentious, it is an interesting approach, and he crunches some numbers.

Needless to say that I did not check the numbers, but most of the usual suspects are in the Thrive quadrant.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

For restricted gifts, most schools negotiate a donor agreement that allows for changes in use of the donated funds (in the school's discretion) if the principal focus of the donor's gift goes away. There may be all sorts of conditions before the school can exercise this right, but it is usually there. Where suh right does not exist, say for older gifts, if the donor had a general charitable intent, there is an equitable doctrine called cy pres that could allow for a court order changing the purpose. The school might lose control under the cy pres proceeding, so that is a path of last resort.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Anybody else getting nervous? I know sending kids home late in a semester is different than not bringing them back, but I am starting to get that feeling again. I am officially worried about the Ivys and concerned about everyone else.
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

Not nervous, more embarrassed that schools will close due to the never ending variants that we will continue to see under the current dem leadership (less).
Of course, the Ivies will lead the way since they know better than all of us, soon to be followed by the NESCAC and the Patriot. Bubble wrap will replace the new chest protectors and helmets. Thank God they are "following the science" of 99.99 survival. Quite a number of current doctors are reporting that this Omicron virus is more contagious but it is like having the common cold. However, this doesn't sell the narrative and won't allow for mass mail in ballots during the mid terms next year.

This is a Pandemic of Fear more than anything. Wake up.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

I got my booster a few days ago. If you're looking for a rapid test or fast booster shot. No question this is the best way to go.

https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

xxxxxxx wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:01 pm Anybody else getting nervous? I know sending kids home late in a semester is different than not bringing them back, but I am starting to get that feeling again. I am officially worried about the Ivys and concerned about everyone else.
wouldn't want to be an oddsmaker on it.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

xxxxxxx wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:01 pm Anybody else getting nervous? I know sending kids home late in a semester is different than not bringing them back, but I am starting to get that feeling again. I am officially worried about the Ivys and concerned about everyone else.
It's a bit of a testament to Cornell that it took Thanksgiving vacation to trigger the outbreak. They'd made it pretty much through the entire semester with little to no positive cases.

Given the data out of South Africa, if you're vaxxed, Omi presents like a mild 3-day head cold. If you're boosted, you might just be asymptomatic. It's the unvaxxed that things might get a little dicier, but even then, based again on the South Africa data, Omi appears way less lethal and way less likely to even cause hospitalizations.

With most programs bringing their players back right after New Year's, they'll probably test everyone on the way in and quarantine players for the 3-5 day window. Few other students will be on campus, so the teams will probably be okay at least until the university gen pop returns. But most of these universities were really good at limiting outbreaks once the semesters were in session.

The Ivies will do whatever they will do (the PL will mostly follow them). I doubt the other conferences will shut down their seasons. Last year at this time was far worse, and we still had a season for most teams.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

I am a healthy, fully vaccinated and boosted 30-year-old, and Omicron still knocked me on my ass for a week. (I'm assuming that's what it is, as it's currently tearing through New York, but I don't know with 100% certainty. Delta's still out there too.) Anyway, I'm JUST starting to feel a bit better. The preliminary data that O may not be as severe as previous variants is excellent news — and that should be taken into consideration if/when any school policy decisions are made surrounding it — but it's still serious. It's not just a cold. I haven't been this sick in probably a decade, and I don't really want to think about going through this without having been vaccinated.

For what it's worth, I think most schools, including the Ivies, are going to be extremely reluctant to move to remote learning again. So from that standpoint I don't think the 2022 season is existentially threatened. The vaccines allow us to deal with things without resorting to those drastic measures. We didn't have them last year. But it's still likely to be touch-and-go, and don't be surprised if it's another messy season of postponements and some restrictions. But I think the Ivies play.
calourie

Post by calourie »

Wheels wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:27 pm
It's a bit of a testament to Cornell that it took Thanksgiving vacation to trigger the outbreak. They'd made it pretty much through the entire semester with little to no positive cases.

Given the data out of South Africa, if you're vaxxed, Omi presents like a mild 3-day head cold. If you're boosted, you might just be asymptomatic. It's the unvaxxed that things might get a little dicier, but even then, based again on the South Africa data, Omi appears way less lethal and way less likely to even cause hospitalizations.

With most programs bringing their players back right after New Year's, they'll probably test everyone on the way in and quarantine players for the 3-5 day window. Few other students will be on campus, so the teams will probably be okay at least until the university gen pop returns. But most of these universities were really good at limiting outbreaks once the semesters were in session.

The Ivies will do whatever they will do (the PL will mostly follow them). I doubt the other conferences will shut down their seasons. Last year at this time was far worse, and we still had a season for most teams.
With almost 2 years of witnessing or experiencing the reality of Covid and responses to it, I would think there is sufficient information for schools to come up with meaningful ways to deal with the fact that the Covid and its' variants are likely to be with us for quite some time and need to be dealt with accordingly. I would imagine the Ivy leadership will continue to look for ways to normalize the Ivy experience as much as possible without jeopardizing the community at large, and more specifically their own vulnerable (co-morbid) members. I would assume there will be parameters for all schools participating in college sports just as there have been for the past year and one half. I doubt the D1 Lacrosse participants will escape the kind of scrutiny and setbacks that the NBA and NFL are now experiencing, but I think all will try to muddle through somehow.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

livelovelax wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:09 pm Not nervous, more embarrassed that schools will close due to the never ending variants that we will continue to see under the current dem leadership (less).
Of course, the Ivies will lead the way since they know better than all of us, soon to be followed by the NESCAC and the Patriot. Bubble wrap will replace the new chest protectors and helmets. Thank God they are "following the science" of 99.99 survival. Quite a number of current doctors are reporting that this Omicron virus is more contagious but it is like having the common cold. However, this doesn't sell the narrative and won't allow for mass mail in ballots during the mid terms next year.

Millions of dead would state their disagreement with you … if they were not dead.

This a pandemic of death, and to suggest otherwise is disrespectful to the dead and their families.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

They will stay open. Because it will hurt Democrats in the polls if they don’t.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

calourie wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:42 pm
Wheels wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:27 pm

With almost 2 years of witnessing or experiencing the reality of Covid and responses to it, I would think there is sufficient information for schools to come up with meaningful ways to deal with the fact that the Covid and its' variants are likely to be with us for quite some time and need to be dealt with accordingly. I would imagine the Ivy leadership will continue to look for ways to normalize the Ivy experience as much as possible without jeopardizing the community at large, and more specifically their own vulnerable (co-morbid) members. I would assume there will be parameters for all schools participating in college sports just as there have been for the past year and one half. I doubt the D1 Lacrosse participants will escape the kind of scrutiny and setbacks that the NBA and NFL are now experiencing, but I think all will try to muddle through somehow.
Calourie,
I appreciate this post. No political garbage. Just stating the reality in an even-handed manner. Nobody is trying to screw anyone over. Ivy League Presidents and board members are not trying to eliminate sports or ruin college experiences for their students. They’re Just trying to manage the situation the best they can with all of the available information. I would agree that they’ll all figure out a way to muddle through the season with as little interruption as humanly possible.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:00 am
livelovelax wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:09 pm Not nervous, more embarrassed that schools will close due to the never ending variants that we will continue to see under the current dem leadership (less).

Millions of dead would state their disagreement with you … if they were not dead.

This a pandemic of death, and to suggest otherwise is disrespectful to the dead and their families.

DocBarrister

Actually, with a 99.26 percent survival rate with no intervention it was never a “pandemic” in the first place. That level of survival is so high that traditional pandemics were considered cured at that rate. Covid was already “cured” compared to traditional actual authentic pandemics from the beginning.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Essexfenwick wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:30 am

DocBarrister

Actually, with a 99.26 percent survival rate with no intervention it was never a “pandemic” in the first place. That level of survival is so high that traditional pandemics were considered cured at that rate. Covid was already “cured” compared to traditional actual authentic pandemics from the beginning.
Thousands of epidemiologists would beg to differ. The European death rate (considerably higher than in the US) from the 1918 flu pandemic was estimated to be around 1.1% - and you are looking at nearly that with the number you published (0.74%).

However, I think there is no such thing as no intervention at least in the US, as what we have available (including the technology early in the pandemic) far surpasses previous epidemics/pandemics.

Such BS. This is definitely a pandemic.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

RedFromMI wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:49 am
Essexfenwick wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:30 am

DocBarrister

Thousands of epidemiologists would beg to differ. The European death rate (considerably higher than in the US) from the 1918 flu pandemic was estimated to be around 1.1% - and you are looking at nearly that with the number you published (0.74%).

However, I think there is no such thing as no intervention at least in the US, as what we have available (including the technology early in the pandemic) far surpasses previous epidemics/pandemics.

Such BS. This is definitely a pandemic.

Nope .
Spanish flu was over ten percent dead and effected all ages equal. Most of the minuscule amount of Covid deaths are of people older than the average lifespan. It’s not a legit pandemic. A real pandemic people drop in the street like the soccer players dropping from vaccine heart inflammations
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

Really, The Spanish flu of 1918 was a real pandemic with no vaccines. One Third of the world contracted it and 20% of the worlds population died. The average age of death in the US from Covid is 76 and those ppl have 2-4 co morbidities. Funny how life expectancy is the same age. Lets deal with those people instead of killing all of us with mandates and lockdowns! We are not dealing with risk well at all and it is a way of total control.

The Florida model is working but you wouldn't know that since it doesn't follow the narrative and the MSM won't cover it. Get ready for more lockdowns and school closures, virtual classes and cancelled games………..how is that saving lives. Deaths from mental health and additional set back in learning is the real killer.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

:x

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”