All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

wgdsr

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by wgdsr »

Bart wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:33 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:40 pm
Bart wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:49 am Don't know if anyone follows Eric Topol here. He is a bit reactionary and at times way over the top at times for me but from time to time he comes up with some interesting stuff. In this post he goes through some of the information on Paxlovid. It is an easy read.

https://erictopol.substack.com/p/why-pa ... eakthrough
back of the envelope, if this is approved for everyone even if not initially, there'll be a real shortage on supply for a while.

pfizer's manufacturing for the vaxx did great to hike production, hope that and other levers happen very quickly here, too. we have any dough left over from all the $$ approved in the last year and a half?
The article did articulate is was for people with risk factors. Regular folk may be out of luck.
yeah, maybe. but as i said before, monoclonal lilly at least had the same stipulation and you said your doc was handing it out.

pfizer said they're investing $1b for capacity. one analyst (before pfizer bumped their projection for 50 mill to 80 mill) estimates they'll bring in $24 billion in 2022.

i'm no chemist, but i don't think we're at the limits for the "ingredients" for how this is made. would seem .gov might be able to toss some dough left in the couch cushions for this one to augment that.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:13 pm
Bart wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:33 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:40 pm
Bart wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:49 am Don't know if anyone follows Eric Topol here. He is a bit reactionary and at times way over the top at times for me but from time to time he comes up with some interesting stuff. In this post he goes through some of the information on Paxlovid. It is an easy read.

https://erictopol.substack.com/p/why-pa ... eakthrough
back of the envelope, if this is approved for everyone even if not initially, there'll be a real shortage on supply for a while.

pfizer's manufacturing for the vaxx did great to hike production, hope that and other levers happen very quickly here, too. we have any dough left over from all the $$ approved in the last year and a half?
The article did articulate is was for people with risk factors. Regular folk may be out of luck.
yeah, maybe. but as i said before, monoclonal lilly at least had the same stipulation and you said your doc was handing it out.

pfizer said they're investing $1b for capacity. one analyst (before pfizer bumped their projection for 50 mill to 80 mill) estimates they'll bring in $24 billion in 2022.

i'm no chemist, but i don't think we're at the limits for the "ingredients" for how this is made. would seem .gov might be able to toss some dough left in the couch cushions for this one to augment that.
As much revenue from the pill as for the vaccine?

EDIT: Nevermind. It’s a little less.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:00 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:50 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:46 pm https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34264527/

Hopefully this is an adopted measure so life can continue with less disruptions.
Brought this up awhile ago. It’s almost like they want to find it no matter what.
You seem to miss the point. The idea is to let people above a threshold move on instead of a positive test halting life. The NFL is instituting this now…..just ask Deez about it….
i'd theorized elsewhere this is what they were setting up in negotiations today.

neighbor's kid last summer/fall tested positive for months. eventually, his company let him go.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:20 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:00 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:50 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:46 pm https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34264527/

Hopefully this is an adopted measure so life can continue with less disruptions.
Brought this up awhile ago. It’s almost like they want to find it no matter what.
You seem to miss the point. The idea is to let people above a threshold move on instead of a positive test halting life. The NFL is instituting this now…..just ask Deez about it….
i'd theorized elsewhere this is what they were setting up in negotiations today.

neighbor's kid last summer/fall tested positive for months. eventually, his company let him go.
Yes. Good to put a number around it. This would be less worrisome. Keeping my fingers crossed.
“I wish you would!”
Bart

Post by Bart »

IDK, guy around my parts the does rPCR has greater then 25 CT as little more than background. Different system but still has you wonder
Typical Lax Dad

Bart wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:36 pm

IDK, guy around my parts the does rPCR has greater then 25 CT as little more than background. Different system but still has you wonder
OK. Thanks.
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

tech37 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:14 pm And if you truly believe internet personalities are "keeping people from getting vaxxed....leading to a few hundred thousand dead gullible Americans" then you're the one with tin foil blinders on.
I'll bite----why do you think vaccination rates were over 93% from at least 1975-2020, in every State in our Union? And here in 2021....they fell of a cliff?
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
tech37

Post by tech37 »

a fan wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:35 pm
tech37 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:14 pm And if you truly believe internet personalities are "keeping people from getting vaxxed....leading to a few hundred thousand dead gullible Americans" then you're the one with tin foil blinders on.
I'll bite----why do you think vaccination rates were over 93% from at least 1975-2020, in every State in our Union? And here in 2021....they fell of a cliff?
Didn't the anti-vaccination movement start long before there were any "internet personalities" and was rooted in religion? And doesn't the, vaccines causes autism idea, predate "internet personalities" too? Much of that I think was due to the fear caused by an actual rise in autism? In general I think anti-vaxx sentiment easily predates today's social media, don't you?

Hasn't the monster social media has become changed everything, including creating a less-trusting younger demographic in general? Throw in a toxic political climate and pandemic and you have the perfect storm. Hard to say but perhaps the narrative created by Biden/Harris et al, during the campaign, that no one should trust/take the "Trump vaccines" caused as much damage if not more than any "internet personality."

Haven't the majority of deaths caused by Covid been older folks, most with comorbidities? I highly doubt those deaths are due to influence from any "internet personality."

It's very complex and there are many contributing factors, certainly including social media. But to make the gross generalization that "internet personalities" equals deaths, that you did, is IMO short-sighted, inaccurate, and exploitative. I also don't think people are as gullible as you do especially concerning personal healthcare decisions.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

As always the link to her site has the highly informative graphics:
https://yourlocalepidemiologist.substac ... dium=email

Your Local (Infectious Disease) Epidemiologist

Omicron Update: Dec 17

Katelyn Jetelina
Dec 17

Well, Omicron cases are growing really fast. Like explosive, skyrocketing, vertical growth fast. If we continue this rate of spread, I would venture to say that there is no modern day virus that has spread this fast and this far ever before.

We continue to see case growth in South Africa, although I’m convinced they’ll hit their peak soon due to several indicators (like test positivity rate and acceleration slowing). While previous waves have averaged 2 months, Omicron will hopefully result in a shorter wave due to high transmissibility and change of behavior.

Omicron in Europe is well on its way. The UK continues to breaks case records. On Wednesday, the UK reported 78,610 new cases—their biggest one-day increase on record. Then, on Thursday they broke that record again and reported 88,376 new cases. France also recorded their biggest one-day increase on record with 65,713 cases. Denmark has the highest case load they’ve ever had. In all of these places, Omicron is largely driving explosive spread, but Delta is still around too. Dr. Trevor Bedford, virologist, graphed the cases by variant type and country below.

Trevor Bedford Twitter
In the United States, the latest (Dec 14) projection is displayed below. Given CDC estimated 2.9% Omicron cases on Dec 11, which was up from 0.4% on Dec 4, models suggest that Omicron will start spiking case rates between Christmas and New Years. On a national level, we will probably peak in the second week of January.

JWeiland Twitter
I do disagree with this graph hitting 1 million cases. We don’t have the testing capacity to record this many cases. We will run out of tests, reagents, and plastic. Lab capacity is finite. We would hit a plateau in case reporting, while the “true” cases may continue to increase.

That’s a national level. But Omicron in areas like New York is well on its way. New York/New Jersey has the highest proportion of Omicron cases in the United States (13%). We are starting to see the impact of this already. Yesterday New York reported 18,276 cases- their biggest one-day increase since January 2021. 8,318 are in New York City alone.

Why is Omicron more transmissible?

While I’m convinced from the epidemiological data that Omicron is highly transmissible, we’ve been waiting on lab data to confirm on a micro-level. The first two lab studies came yesterday.

In the first, a group of scientists in Hong Kong took human tissue from the bronchus and lung and infected it with Omicron. They measured how quickly the virus replicated compared to other variants like Delta. What did they find?

At 24 hours after infection, Omicron replicated 70 times higher than the Delta variant and the original SARS-CoV-2 virus in the bronchial tissue.

Interestingly, Omicron replicated less efficiently (10 times lower) in lung tissue than the original SARS-CoV-2 virus

(University of Hong Kong Source Here)
This rate is important because someone is only contagious once they reach a certain threshold of virus. The quicker the virus reaches this threshold, the quicker the host (i.e. human) is infectious. While it’s important to note a petri dish isn’t a human body, this study sure corroborates the case growth we’re seeing on the ground. The second study found largely the same thing.

But this is only part of the transmissibility puzzle. Omicron is also partially escaping vaccine immunity and infection-induced immunity. At this point we’ve had more than 10 studies showing this. So, even the vaccinated (especially those with only two doses) will get infected and spread the virus.

Hospitalizations

But high case loads from rapid replication and escaping antibodies is only half the story. It’s essential that we remain out of the hospital. Immunity has positively and drastically impacted hospitalizations prior to Omicron. Below is a graph from the UK showing the fanning effect: cases differentiated from hospitalizations and deaths after vaccines were rolled out.

For those without a booster, the first line of defense is down: neutralizing antibodies aren’t going prevent infection nor transmission of Omicron. However, T-cells should still keep a lot of people out of the hospital.

Those with boosters will be most protected. That’s because boosters restimulate the immune system and increase the number of antibodies. The more antibodies we have, the more they can find the the limited landing spots on Omicron. This will decrease breakthrough cases and decrease transmission.

Boosters also generate a much broader level of immunity. In other words, boosters develop antibodies against more parts of the virus than the primary series. A lab study yesterday confirmed. The authors noted:

“The antibody response after boosting is fundamentally different than it was before. It's not just raising the level of the existing antibodies, it's doing a lot more than that. Calling the third shot a booster is oversimplifying.”

Balazs Lab Here
In places that don’t have boosters (like South Africa) or good booster coverage (like the United States), the question remains: How well does infection-induced immunity and two doses keep people out of hospitals? And how many people have zero protection at all?

We are seeing hospitalizations and deaths increase in South Africa, but they are at lower rates than before. In Gauteng— South Africa’s epicenter— hospitalizations are about 45% than what they were for Delta. Excess deaths are now gaining speed, but still much lower than before. On a national or global scale, a small percentage can add up quickly when we are talking about an incredibly fast moving virus.

Older adults

I am increasingly concerned about older adults. Earlier this week, the Kaiser Family Foundation released a report describing severe breakthrough cases in the United States. They found that more than two-thirds (69%) of breakthrough COVID-19 hospitalizations occurred among people ages 65 and older. Given that only 52% of Americans 65+ have a booster, this population is going to have a lot of breakthrough cases. And I really hope they don’t also end up at the hospital.

0-4 year old hospitalizations

South Africa continues to report a higher rate of hospitalizations among the 0-4 year old group. A few days ago we got an update from a hospital— kids have a 20% higher rate of hospitalizations with Omicron compared to Delta.

The hospital gave important context though: “Incidental COVID19 diagnoses among children exceeded COVID19 specific admissions.” In other words, more children are hospitalized “with COVID19” (e.g. injury and test positive) than “for COVID19” (i.e. SARS-CoV-2 taking over the body). So the increase in admissions is likely reflective of high community transmission. I don’t know if this is necessarily good news, but it’s not bad news either.

Bottom Line

Case counts are going to get very high. As high as our testing capacity can take. While the severity of disease is reduced (due to immunity or intrinsic changes, we don’t know), the mere number of infections will increase hospitalizations.

Please use a layered approach this holiday season. There are still 75 million Americans relying on the “herd” to protect them through no choice of their own. While your individual risk may be low, Omicron presents significant societal risk.

Love, YLE
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Typical Lax Dad

tech37 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:50 am
Didn't the anti-vaccination movement start long before there were any "internet personalities" and was rooted in religion? And doesn't the, vaccines causes autism idea, predate "internet personalities" too? Much of that I think was due to the fear caused by an actual rise in autism? In general I think anti-vaxx sentiment easily predates today's social media, don't you?

Hasn't the monster social media has become changed everything, including creating a less-trusting younger demographic in general? Throw in a toxic political climate and pandemic and you have the perfect storm. Hard to say but perhaps the narrative created by Biden/Harris et al, during the campaign, that no one should trust/take the "Trump vaccines" caused as much damage if not more than any "internet personality."

Haven't the majority of deaths caused by Covid been older folks, most with comorbidities? I highly doubt those deaths are due to influence from any "internet personality."

It's very complex and there are many contributing factors, certainly including social media. But to make the gross generalization that "internet personalities" equals deaths, that you did, is IMO short-sighted, inaccurate, and exploitative. I also don't think people are as gullible as you do especially concerning personal healthcare decisions.
No.

https://ksj.mit.edu/tracker-archive/how ... -movement/

https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/conten ... -movement/

https://www.tamug.edu/nautilus/articles ... iVaxx.html
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

CU88 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:04 am As always the link to her site has the highly informative graphics:

Katelyn Jetelina
Dec 17

Well, Omicron cases are growing really fast. Like explosive, skyrocketing, vertical growth fast. If we continue this rate of spread, I would venture to say that there is no modern day virus that has spread this fast and this far ever before.
I can recall a time early in 2020 when a POTUS downplayed a virus and was ridiculed for doing so. Strangely, no so this time.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:29 am
CU88 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:04 am As always the link to her site has the highly informative graphics:

Katelyn Jetelina
Dec 17

I can recall a time early in 2020 when a POTUS downplayed a virus and was ridiculed for doing so. Strangely, no so this time.

“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:35 am

Katelyn Jetelina
Dec 17

So I suppose the current POTUS' response is silence.....even better.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:39 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:35 am

Katelyn Jetelina
Dec 17

So I suppose the current POTUS' response is silence.....even better.
Seems like it’s being managed. I don’t watch much TV so I hadn’t noticed. Joe telling people Omicron is no big deal and folks should carryon as if nothing is wrong? Liberate your state talk?
“I wish you would!”
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:20 am

No.

:roll: Try reading my entire post. None of your links contradicts anything I wrote.
Typical Lax Dad

tech37 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:44 am

No.

:roll: Try reading my entire post. None of your links contradicts anything I wrote.
I contradicted what I highlighted champ.
“I wish you would!”
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:45 am

No.

Learn to consider context when you read something. I won't waste anymore time with your nonsense but firstly here's a link for you:

https://www.verywellhealth.com/history- ... nt-4054321
Typical Lax Dad

tech37 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:01 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:45 am

No.

Learn to consider context when you read something. I won't waste anymore time with your nonsense but firstly here's a link for you:

https://www.verywellhealth.com/history- ... nt-4054321
Un huh….context….1800’s. See deez.
“I wish you would!”
CU88

Post by CU88 »

House oversight committee releases report detailing efforts of Trump administration officials to 'undermine' Covid-19 efforts in US

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/17/politics ... index.html
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Return to “POLITICS”