THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DocBarrister

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by DocBarrister »

51percentcorn wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:03 pm senior captain with final nail in coffin what an idiotic play
Marr, Smith, and Jones ... to be frank, I always had some concerns about this trio of captains. I’m still not convinced they have this team properly focused on the task at hand. It’s also been a long time since I’ve seen Hopkins captains take bone-headed penalties like we’ve seen Marr and Jones do this season.

It may be a good time for these three captains to take stock of their own performance as captains and get their teammates properly focused on the task at hand. At this point, Blue Jays are a good team that may miss the NCAA tournament. They could be so much more, but this team needs to get their heads on straight.

DocBarrister (still optimistic, but worried as h*ll) :shock: :o :?
@DocBarrister
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:30 pm I think it’s obvious now ... Blue Jays will need to win the B1G regular season and/or tournament title to reach the NCAA tournament. That’s not going to be easy.
Wait. What?

So say Hopkins finishes 4-1, 9-4 behind either Maryland or Penn State. Then a loss in the Big Ten tourney. And that resume isn't enough? In what world?...
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

Down the alley...GOAL ,
Down the alley...GOAL ,
Down the alley...GOAL ,
etc , etc ,etc !
Were the Hopkins coaches even watching the game ?
Appalling incompetence :twisted: .
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:45 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:03 pm senior captain with final nail in coffin what an idiotic play
Marr, Smith, and Jones ... to be frank, I always had some concerns about this trio of captains. I’m still not convinced they have this team properly focused on the task at hand. It’s also been a long time since I’ve seen Hopkins captains take bone-headed penalties like we’ve seen Marr and Jones do this season.

It may be a good time for these three captains to take stock of their own performance as captains and get their teammates properly focused on the task at hand. At this point, Blue Jays are a good team that may miss the NCAA tournament. They could be so much more, but this team needs to get their heads on straight.

DocBarrister (still optimistic, but worried as h*ll) :shock: :o :?
It is because it is about them and not the team... Self before team will always lead to failure
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Here is what i see 2-3

Wins: Mnt St Marys, Delaware and Michigan

Possible Wins; Rutgers

Loss: VIrginia, Ohio St, Penn St and MD

They will end up either 6-8 or 5-9... Not play off material
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Fourth quarter collapse is the story here. Couldn't buy a faceoff, Darby went frigid after a nice start, and the offense—as it's done periodically over the past decade—completely stalled out.

I think an even bigger problem than the midfield's size is its speed, or rather the lack of it. They are SLOW. I don't know what's going on with DeSimone but they need to fire into the sun the person who told him to put on 15 pounds of muscle. He couldn't get around a tree stump right now. Concannon shows a little bit of burst but it rarely amounts to a whole lot. Baskin can be slippery but he's not all that fast. Keogh had a nice goal today and has showed flashes of dodging ability but it's way too inconsistent.

Certainly can't blame the goalie today—18 saves and he made a few he had absolutely no business saving after the defense was beat. That said, he's slow to react to almost every shot to his offhand side. Cuse shooters picked up on it quickly and exploited it.

How many times did we check the stick out of a Cuse player's hands only for the ball to still end up with another Orange shirt? Happened at least three times by my count. Those have to be picked up.

I'm losing count how many perfect skip passes Epstein has made to someone on the crease only for the recipient to fail to cash in. Inside finishing has left much to be desired all season.

Some minor positives: clearing was fine, GBs were pretty even despite the second half faceoff disparity, Reinson quietly had maybe his best game ever with 5 GBs and 3 CTs, and Foley once again eliminated the opponent's top attackman—Solomon was not remotely a factor today. Rapine also played well on Rehfuss.

It's silly to start thinking about the playoffs one way or the other right now. This team obviously has a lot of work to do still but it's early March—a lot of opportunities left, things can and will change.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Hawkeye wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:52 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:30 pm I think it’s obvious now ... Blue Jays will need to win the B1G regular season and/or tournament title to reach the NCAA tournament. That’s not going to be easy.
Wait. What?

So say Hopkins finishes 4-1, 9-4 behind either Maryland or Penn State. Then a loss in the Big Ten tourney. And that resume isn't enough? In what world?...
Well, going 4-1 will likely win at least a share of the mythical B1G regular season title. I generally agree ... Hopkins probably needs to reach 9 wins to be confident of getting into the NCAA tournament unless they win the B1G tournament.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Cuse was and is the better team, made adjustments, owned the midfield, switched up and owned FOs in the second half, Hopkins offense disjointed again with kudos to Cuse’s D pressing out and disrupting it.

And I too wish Darby could stop several more longer shots. Does he need glasses, or would wearing contrast enhancing specs (yellow, like hunters wear) help?

And the UNC announcers are better than the two Cuse folks, as well as the two Cuse folks in studio. Were/Are those four youngsters from the Cuse J-School? Yi-yi-yi! Switch the flip!

Side note: was the resident dirtball in attendance today?

On a positive note, no complaints about the Dome referees today!

W
jhu93

Post by jhu93 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:28 pm Fourth quarter collapse is the story here. Couldn't buy a faceoff, Darby went frigid after a nice start, and the offense—as it's done periodically over the past decade—completely stalled out.

I think an even bigger problem than the midfield's size is its speed, or rather the lack of it. They are SLOW. I don't know what's going on with DeSimone but they need to fire into the sun the person who told him to put on 15 pounds of muscle. He couldn't get around a tree stump right now. Concannon shows a little bit of burst but it rarely amounts to a whole lot. Baskin can be slippery but he's not all that fast. Keogh had a nice goal today and has showed flashes of dodging ability but it's way too inconsistent.

Certainly can't blame the goalie today—18 saves and he made a few he had absolutely no business saving after the defense was beat. That said, he's slow to react to almost every shot to his offhand side. Cuse shooters picked up on it quickly and exploited it.

How many times did we check the stick out of a Cuse player's hands only for the ball to still end up with another Orange shirt? Happened at least three times by my count. Those have to be picked up.

I'm losing count how many perfect skip passes Epstein has made to someone on the crease only for the recipient to fail to cash in. Inside finishing has left much to be desired all season.

Some minor positives: clearing was fine, GBs were pretty even despite the second half faceoff disparity, Reinson quietly had maybe his best game ever with 5 GBs and 3 CTs, and Foley once again eliminated the opponent's top attackman—Solomon was not remotely a factor today. Rapine also played well on Rehfuss.

It's silly to start thinking about the playoffs one way or the other right now. This team obviously has a lot of work to do still but it's early March—a lot of opportunities left, things can and will change.
Hopkins's problems on offense are two fold. First, outside of the Princeton game Williams has been a disaster. He has reached Ranagan territory with his shot, he can't hit the broad side of a barn. No need to talk about hitting corners, he can't even hit the goalie. Just like Ranagan his only move is a bull dodge that goes nowhere.

Second, while Concannon showed signs of life today, his line mates have been ghosts. No dodging, no step downs, no nothing on offense. The second midfield is made up of smaller, slippery converted attack men that can be effective in spurts. Zinn started out on the second line today and missed a good looking shot that was just high. However, after he botched the pass that led to Syracuse''s first goal I don't think that he got another run with the offensive middies the rest of the game.

So what Hopkins is left with is an excellent off ball player/shooter and a freshman who has played well and shown flashes of brilliance. However, teams have figured out that Epstein is Hopkins' only threat to dodge to score so he is already drawing the top D-man in every game. Even guys like Spencer lose those match ups every once in a while, which is what happened today for Epstein. So without him Hopkins is left with a great shooter and a few guys who have been ineffective for most of the season. Given that Hopkins had a ton of long drawn out possessions that went nowhere, not because Hopkins wanted to play slow, but because no one could beat their man.

As for the play in the middle of the field, I think that everyone should pump the brakes on anointing Narewski the next great one, after a hot start he got schooled today. I like his athleticism but he still has a ways to go. As for the ground balls Kuhn has been good this year but he did nothing today. One caused turnover and no ground balls from your starting long stick middy is unacceptable.

Just like it has most of the past 10 years Hopkins looks like a team that barring a miracle run is not a threat to make the final four let alone win a championship. We've already seen what Loyola and Towson did to Hopkins and the difference in athleticism, skill and depth between Hopkins and Duke and Yale is depressing. The program has really taken a step back.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

It is hard to win when your starting FO guy goes 33.3% (7-21). I would have liked to see more of Prouty who won 57% (4-7) of his draws.

Shooting 22.22% (10/45) is not going to cut it. I thought Marr had a bunch of good looks that should have produced more than a 2/11 shooting day.

Other than the unsettled goal by Smith from DeSimone, the six on six offense was shut out in the second half.

The three bright spots were clearing (16/17), EMOs (2-2) and Darby’s numerous saves on low shots. But letting a pass bounce off his helmet for a goal was a true gaffe.

Zinn had a bad start to the game with his repeated inability to pick up a ground ball leading to an easy goal for Cuse, but I still like his athleticism which is better than anyone else on offense.

The offense missed Cattoni. Hope he will return soon.

Going forward, the offense needs to be conducted by Epstein. Fewer bull dodges by Williams would be a good start. Cole, the junior, has as many TOs (12) as points. Epstein, the freshman, has almost twice as many points (17) as TOs (9).

The D needs to get a lot more aggressive, pushing out alley dodges. This has become a consistent theme and it is embarrassing.
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

Hats off to Darby and Hubler. Boy oh boy can Brett Kennedy play. That kid is a weapon from head to toe.
DMac

Post by DMac »

A madman who wreaks havoc all over the field, tread lightly and cautiously when entering his territory. Been playing like that all year, I want that kid on my team.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

It is pretty clear what the MLL General Managers think of Hopkins senior talent. Marr taken last pick in the 5th round. No other Jays taken.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Hoponboard wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:45 pm

The offense missed Cattoni. Hope he will return soon.
This might be the most laughable comment I've seen in a while. Other than an empty net goal, a EMO goal in garbage time what exactly did he contribute beyond having his face stuffed into the turf repeatedly?

I swear it is like some guys don't even watch the games and just look at goals and assists post game.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

More Mabbett, more Zinn and this team needs inside finishing, it's time to dust off Fox on the bench.

That gives you three guys with size, two with the ability to run by guys and one with size that can score inside. The shrimps aren't getting it done.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:28 pm Certainly can't blame the goalie today—18 saves and he made a few he had absolutely no business saving after the defense was beat. That said, he's slow to react to almost every shot to his offhand side. Cuse shooters picked up on it quickly and exploited it.

You have to hope LQ is working on that outside off hand hip shot that he's not seeing or getting to. I agree though and I think he gave Hope the chance to win with some spectacular saves.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

As far as Darby - and goalies in general - maybe MDlax... or someone can help me with current goalie theory. It seems like goalies today keep that back leg anchored when stretching for the other side save. I assume that is to allow for better recovery? I always thought you were supposed to step towards the shot and explode with the entire body. Regardless, of what I know or don't know - it seems an offside shot on Darby is a tally if it's inside the pipe. He never gets there.

I believe someone here among us said that if the Syracuse middies were allowed unimpeded access to the alleys like Atayan of UNC and Durbin of Princeton and Duffy/Scanlon of Loyola and so on that it was going to be a long day. Dox Aitken is going to threaten some single game NCAA scoring record.

Foley played well

I thought Petro got schooled on the face-offs as much as Matt N. - in game I commented the game-changer was the two poles on the face-off. We maybe should have tried it. Their poles have better stick skills than ours but it might have been better. I wasn't keeping stats but if Prouty was 4-7 I would have sent him out there a little more when things started to go south.

Aside from clearing and a tough little flip pass to Smith for an assist - DeSimone continues to make you sit and wonder what is wrong. Is he hurt? Is it really the extra weight? He had what 14 or 16 goals last year? For Hopkins to be anything you needed him to make the sophomore leap and push 20 goals with alot more than the 1 or 2 assists of last year. He's on pace for less than 3 goals and he hasn't missed a shift.

Zinn certainly went into the doghouse - bad play by him - worse coaching by Petro and Benson

I agree that the offense looked horrible in the second half - hard not to - and it looked like there were no adjustments but what adjustments can he make? I was surprised Baskin never took the shortstick when it happened on the switches - I don't even remember the one shot he took.

If you had told me that the starting 10 for Cuse was held to 8 goals and one of those was an own goal I would have said Hopkins had a great chance to win. But Hopkins has no one like Buttermore who's collecting hat tricks and Dearth's 2 goals should almost never happen.

Syracuse shot 6-11 in the 4th quarter.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:26 am DeSimone continues to make you sit and wonder what is wrong.
No, he's just not as good as advertised. He started off well last year but he disappeared as the season went along as teams adjusted to his game. Go look at his bio, majority of his points came in the 1st half of the year.

Hopkins problem is Petro likes to recruit short players but they better be fast, well, scratch that most of them outside of Jones aren't quick or fast. So teams with any type of size at the midfield will eat this team alive...much like they have done for the last decade.

Even as good as Epstein is, if he is leading the team in points, you have a problem in other class years. Recruiting, player evaluation/recruiting and player development have been so poor for so long not much is going to change until there are staff changes. Can't wait for Hopkins to announce Petro's new deal which he doesn't deserve in the least - 1 FF in 11 years - here Petro have another 4 year deal.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

one comment by more than one poster that I don't quite get is the "Williams doesn't play hard". I have no overt reason to defend him but playing hard doesn't seem to be the issue to me Even on Dearth's second goal - Williams recognized the S-storm that was going on behind him and he HAD to go down and play defense and while Dearth admittedly scored Williams was closer to him and trying to check his hands which is more than I can say for alot of our defensive mid-field. Decision making about when to pull the trigger or pass and overall indecisiveness absolutely - playing hard - I didn't see it.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:26 am
I agree that the offense looked horrible in the second half - hard not to - and it looked like there were no adjustments but what adjustments can he make? I was surprised Baskin never took the shortstick when it happened on the switches - I don't even remember the one shot he took.
Can someone explain to my untrained eye why it takes this team so long to get the right personnel on the field? We're not actually running the offense until there's 40 seconds left in the shot clock. And after you explain that, can you explain why the offense almost always starts up top with the middies despite an obvious lack of talent/experience at the midfield this year? I feel like every possession should start and end in Epstein's stick. There will be growing pains, but if there's one thing I've learned so far this season it's that he 100% has the ability to be running this offense if the responsibility was given to him.

Some of you laughed at the idea of Williams playing midfield/"outverting"/dodging more from up top but this game showed it might not be such a bad idea. Forry does look a half-step quicker this year but he is not a midfielder and I've yet to see him get by anyone from an alley dodge. He's a very good off-ball inside finisher. That's where you maximize his talent. Maybe Williams and Smith should switch positions. Smith would probably be able to finish some of these zippy skip passes Epstein is threading to the crease.

Cattoni has been fine this year and you never want guys to be hurt but the offense doesn't "miss" him—it misses Joel Tinney.

Ok with all of the complaining in my system here is where I start the bargaining stage: Cuse is a better team this year than last, we are much younger than we were; last year's game notwithstanding the Dome is a tough place to go play in and win (side note: seems like Cuse plays every game in the Dome? do they ever go on the road? How does Desko swing that); this was a far cry from the Towson drubbing—this was a game we led for 3 quarters and could and should have won. There are two games coming up—obviously nothing is guaranteed these days anymore and those two teams have both been playing pretty well lately—but they present an opportunity to get back on the positive side of .500 before a home date with UVA and several more chances at "quality wins" in the Big Ten. You can easily say "well based on play so far they're not going to win any of those games" and maybe you'd be right but the regular season is less than half over. Win the next two you're supposed to, defend Homewood from the Hoos, and suddenly the narrative of the season is different.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”