Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

TNLAX wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:54 pm I don't want to comment on any teams play, but what I have noticed for years is that some officials allow for rougher play than others. Not going to say it's good or bad, but I tend to favor protecting the athletes from serious injuries. I prefer a game that is called "tight" rather than "lose". A lot of folks would say that to many whistles ruin a game, but I think a player who is injured due to an illegal hit because refs are "letting them play" ruins the game. My two cents for the day.
This brought to mind an incident I witnessed during a Vanderbilt at BC game back in mid February 2020:

I was at the game today... #1 Gabby Fornia for Vandy is 5' 3" tops. (The Vandy website doesn't list player height.) BC's Rietano is listed as 5' 7" on the website. Regardless of what their stats are listed as, Rietano was impressively bigger and taller. I was standing behind the goal when Fornia got the ball just behind goal line extended. Rietano cranked her with a couple of forceful cross checks, complete with what sounded like irritated grunts, pushing Gabby back 3 feet easily with the impact. Ref standing right there watching--didn't bat an eye. When I saw the force Rietano used and the impact it had on Fornia, I said in an indignant voice loud enough for both the players and ref who was nearby to hear, "Cross check! " (It just came out of me. I don't usually raise my voice at games.) I felt bad for Fornia. Given the disparity in size, how was she supposed to defend herself against that?

Here's how close one can stand to the action in the friendly confines of BC's lacrosse field on one end. I was standing near/behind the ACCN sign at the time. Happened right in front of me. From this picture, the positioning of Fornia and Rietano was what is displayed here (even though the BC defender pictured here is #14 Jillian Reilly.) That's almost exactly where they were when the uncarded fouls occurred.

to which njbill responded with:
njbill wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:09 pm Gabby is a South Jersey girl. Saw lots of her in club. I’d say she is 5’0” in high heels. Rimback would know for sure. Almost always the smallest player on the field, even in high school. She’s tough; she can take it.
Sometimes players do their own policing if their personality is such. Another game I was standing in that usual spot when the Eagles were hosting Dartmouth in 2019. Apuzzo had the ball behind goal line extended on the other side of the goal. A Green defender was getting too reckless with her stickwork on Sam and she burst out with, "What the F*CK !!" and then immediately afterward, in a gentler apologetic voice, "Sorry."

All to say--I'm in agreement with Tennessee; I would appreciate it if the games were called tighter.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Anybody know anything about this girl as to whether she's had any offers or if/where she's playing college lax?
If she's playing, I'll be rooting for her and her team.
2019 article, pretty powerful actually.
https://www.thelily.com/these-girls-wer ... servation/
2021 News.
https://www.indiantime.net/story/2021/0 ... 37203.html
Nope, found it. The 5'1'' wlaxer and hockey player doesn't graduate til '23. I'm thinkin' I'd have to go pay this
little girl a visit if I'm a wlax coach cuz I'm thinkin I want her (and maybe some of her friends too, UofRI) on my
team.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

When did the lacrosse media shift from being less like Sports Illustrated and more like a HS Yearbook?

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

DMac wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:04 am Anybody know anything about this girl as to whether she's had any offers or if/where she's playing college lax?
If she's playing, I'll be rooting for her and her team.
2019 article, pretty powerful actually.
https://www.thelily.com/these-girls-wer ... servation/
2021 News.
https://www.indiantime.net/story/2021/0 ... 37203.html
Nope, found it. The 5'1'' wlaxer and hockey player doesn't graduate til '23. I'm thinkin' I'd have to go pay this
little girl a visit if I'm a wlax coach cuz I'm thinkin I want her (and maybe some of her friends too, UofRI) on my
team.
Holy smokes what a great story. Thanks for posting it. DMac, you'll be keeping an eye out for Salmon River girls lax this year.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:58 am When did the lacrosse media shift from being less like Sports Illustrated and more like a HS Yearbook?

When they became driven by social media…
DMac

Post by DMac »

Congrats Sam, I find you mighty likable too. :D
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Laxfan500 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:49 am When they became driven by social media…
I dunno. ESPN isn't doing an end-of-season "Best Dressed" poll. Actually, you know something, maybe they are. With Basketball players you see this. But Best Personality?! What's next, Best Smile? Most Likely to Succeed? It's just so... High school. I see it and think, Please don't do this to lacrosse...!
Caddy Day
OuttaNowhereWregget

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:57 am
Laxfan500 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:49 am When they became driven by social media…
I dunno. ESPN isn't doing an end-of-season "Best Dressed" poll. Actually, you know something, maybe they are. With Basketball players you see this. But Best Personality?! What's next, Best Smile? Most Likely to Succeed? It's just so... High school. I see it and think, Please don't do this to lacrosse...!
Maybe they’re doing it to attract a younger audience so they can “grow the game”. Or maybe it’s something as simple as folks in charge aren’t paying much attention to what the interns are doing with the website. It is goofy high school fluff though.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:11 am
Matnum PI wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:57 am
Maybe they’re doing it to attract a younger audience so they can “grow the game”. Or maybe it’s something as simple as folks in charge aren’t paying much attention to what the interns are doing with the website. It is goofy high school fluff though.
Maybe this reflects Steve Stenersen's vision perfectly???
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

This would be Best Athlete in our HS Yearbook. It's embarrassing

Caddy Day
OuttaNowhereWregget

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:21 pm This would be Best Athlete in our HS Yearbook. It's embarrassing
The last 5 poll questions are better. Here they are in order:

BEST GAME - For the contest that kept us on the edge of our seats.

BEST MILESTONE - For the individual whose career-best moment prompted celebration and praise.

BEST INSPIRATION - For those who lead by the example of their character.

BEST COMEBACK STORY - For the indomitable spirit that will not be denied.

BEST PLAYER - For the larger-than-life star who stood above them all in 2021.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Best legs?
Nicest hair (although this one's a given)?
Just stirrin' the pot a bit.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:29 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:21 pm This would be Best Athlete in our HS Yearbook. It's embarrassing
The last 5 poll questions are better. Here they are in order:

BEST GAME - For the contest that kept us on the edge of our seats.

BEST MILESTONE - For the individual whose career-best moment prompted celebration and praise.

BEST INSPIRATION - For those who lead by the example of their character.

BEST COMEBACK STORY - For the indomitable spirit that will not be denied.

BEST PLAYER - For the larger-than-life star who stood above them all in 2021.
Lol Best player because that’s a tough one
OuttaNowhereWregget

Yeah, that's a great idea--let's objectify young women and creep out their parents, not to mention the former players who visit this board.
"Best legs" is highly inappropriate, even as an attempt at humor, given that this is a women's lacrosse forum.

Note: I'm happy to edit this post if the one I'm referring to is edited.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Laxfan500 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:45 pm Lol Best player because that’s a tough one
I have a pretty good idea who the pick would be but...who's your best player?
OuttaNowhereWregget

This got me thinking... Has a male ever coached a D1 women's lacrosse team to a national title win? I'll bet resident historian LarryGamLax would know but he's been scarce lately.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:54 pm
Laxfan500 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:45 pm Lol Best player because that’s a tough one
I mean North has been annointed best player, male or female...so I expect that trend to continue.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Laxfan500 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:52 pm
I mean North has been annointed best player, male or female...so I expect that trend to continue.
Right—but who’s your best player? I’m just curious. No reprisals or scoffs.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:26 pm
Laxfan500 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:52 pm
Right—but who’s your best player? I’m just curious. No reprisals or scoffs.
[/quote

Honestly I’d go with Emma trenchard . Consistent 4 years going into 5Th as a lock down defender . But UNC is not the hype machine BC is. ET will most likely make pre season Def of the Year. But not best player.
DMac

Post by DMac »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:53 pm Yeah, that's a great idea--let's objectify young women and creep out their parents, not to mention the former players who visit this board.
"Best legs" is highly inappropriate, even as an attempt at humor, given that this is a women's lacrosse forum.

Note: I'm happy to edit this post if the one I'm referring to is edited.
My knee jerk reaction is to say blow it out your asz, but inasmuch as that would likely garner a whistle, play on, I'll just recognize your "highly inappropriate" for what it is. Classic overreaction with condemnation connotation and all. The overly sensitive and fragile world of wlax where any mention of physical attribute is immediately twisted to objectification and will shatter the delicate wlaxer's feeling of self worth.
No need to edit your post, it's perfect the way it is.
Back to some wlax.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXCyzIntjvA

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”