Syracuse 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Matnum PI

Re: Syracuse 2022

Post by Matnum PI »

ohmilax34 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:08 pm It seems like it would be better if Gait's personality were the overriding force on the team, rather than having contrasting personalities. Maybe there are examples in sports where this has worked...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

ohmilax34 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:08 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:55 pm
ohmilax34 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:02 pm I'm excited to see how this team will look in the spring, but at the same time I'm pretty skeptical that there's going to be a major difference in how they play compared with prior Syracuse teams or their competition.
What about in 4 years?
ohmilax34 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:02 pm Also, the balance of Gait's personality and Petro's personality, and their different coaching styles interests me. Are they going to be opposing forces pulling players in different directions? Are we going to see players conflicted about how they play? Free flowing or disciplined? Will we see some players make spontaneous plays in the gray and some players play within very confined guidelines?
As molo is saying, each will have their half of the field. With this said, I think Petro, and this may be wishful thinking, will be a different coach than at Hopkins. He's older, wiser, possibly humbler, and... I think he my be a more open, freer coach at SU. But, ohmi, as you're saying, I'm curious.
It seems like it would be better if Gait's personality were the overriding force on the team, rather than having contrasting personalities. Maybe there are examples in sports where this has worked. I'm hoping that Gait's personality has just as much of an effect on Petro as it does the players.

Also, we don't really know how the defense will play. If "controlled" or "disciplined" is the main word to describe how they're playing, that seems counter to what Gait wants from his team. If "aggressive" or "intense" is the main word to describe the defense, then that is probably more in line with what Gait wants.
I would be surprised if Petro spent a year and half out of coaching and came away with the idea that his approach to defense in his last years at Hopkins was the right one. I am not expecting him to ask his players to come out and emulate Ric Beardsley, but I have to think he will have made adjustments in the way he coached at Hopkins. Sometimes people just need a break in the day to day grind of running a program to really make changes. No idea if he will play conservative or aggressively, but I have to imagine he will do things differently. It sounds like he has done a lot of reflection, but we won't know for sure until the games are played.

To the "what about in four year years" point, I think that will really be interesting to watch (if he is still at Syracuse in four years). The defense he is inheriting is not the most talented. Brett Kennedy is the only player who has All American credentials and he will most likely be playing out of position at close defense, and they are breaking in a new goalie. They get a talented transfer in Nick Caccamo but he hasn't played any college lacrosse. In 2023 he gets highly ranked freshmen he should be pretty familiar with in Billy Dwan and Riley Figurias, both played for his son's club team and of course Dwan is the son of his ex coaching partner. A lot can change obviously, but I think we need to give him time and not call it a bust if next season is not much better than the last few.

The dynamics between Gait and Petro will certainly be interesting to watch. As far as I know Petro is the only assistant who will have not one but two rings from his time being a head coach. He will most certainly be the most high profile assistant in the country. As a head coach you must have a lot of belief in yourself, and Gait, being the best player of all time, I'm sure has. From reading the article it really does sound like more of a partnership instead of Petro being a subordinate. I do think Gait, going into the hire, thought that Petro could cover for the things that maybe weren't his strong suit. It sounds like they both went into the situation with eyes open. But again, just have to wait for the season to start to see how it all plays out.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:16 pm
ohmilax34 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:08 pm It seems like it would be better if Gait's personality were the overriding force on the team, rather than having contrasting personalities. Maybe there are examples in sports where this has worked...
👍
“I wish you would!”
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

GG will run the O. Petro will run the D. Next year will be a bit of a rebuilding year at Cuse. Excellent class coming in next year. Counting shoukd begin then. Its definitely GG’s team
a fan

Post by a fan »

ohmilax34 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:08 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:55 pm
ohmilax34 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:02 pm I'm excited to see how this team will look in the spring, but at the same time I'm pretty skeptical that there's going to be a major difference in how they play compared with prior Syracuse teams or their competition.
What about in 4 years?
ohmilax34 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:02 pm Also, the balance of Gait's personality and Petro's personality, and their different coaching styles interests me. Are they going to be opposing forces pulling players in different directions? Are we going to see players conflicted about how they play? Free flowing or disciplined? Will we see some players make spontaneous plays in the gray and some players play within very confined guidelines?
As molo is saying, each will have their half of the field. With this said, I think Petro, and this may be wishful thinking, will be a different coach than at Hopkins. He's older, wiser, possibly humbler, and... I think he my be a more open, freer coach at SU. But, ohmi, as you're saying, I'm curious.
It seems like it would be better if Gait's personality were the overriding force on the team, rather than having contrasting personalities. Maybe there are examples in sports where this has worked.
Isn't this the precise dynamic that Simmie and Desko had all those years?

Desko tearing Middie of the Year---and Brendon Curry's father--Todd Curry's head off.....Simmie later puts his arm around him.

1:31:30 mark...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxmLbRXtMo8&t=5480s
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Personally i think anyone knowing both people would not expect to see the problem. They have known each other more than 30 years. They have been friends for a long time. They are not strangers who have barely interacted. Before the announcement they discussed these kinds of issues. Probabilities are high it will work out. Lax is a small community at that level.
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

OCanada wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:43 pm GG will run the O. Petro will run the D. Next year will be a bit of a rebuilding year at Cuse. Excellent class coming in next year. Counting shoukd begin then. Its definitely GG’s team
I don't expect Syracuse to challenge for a title next season, but calling it a rebuilding year is a bit harsh. They will most likely have five fifth year seniors on offense next year in their top six (Dordevic, Curry, Quinn, Buttermore and Seebold) and a fifth year at FOGO. They also return three poles in their fifth, or in Kennedy's case sixth year. Experience isn't everything obviously (especially on defense, there is a lack of high end talent) but I think they will be better than most are thinking.
DMac

Post by DMac »

OCanada wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:44 am Personally i think anyone knowing both people would not expect to see the problem. They have known each other more than 30 years. They have been friends for a long time. They are not strangers who have barely interacted. Before the announcement they discussed these kinds of issues. Probabilities are high it will work out. Lax is a small community at that level.
I think this is dead nuts on the money.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

OCanada wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:44 am Personally i think anyone knowing both people would not expect to see the problem. They have known each other more than 30 years. They have been friends for a long time. They are not strangers who have barely interacted. Before the announcement they discussed these kinds of issues. Probabilities are high it will work out. Lax is a small community at that level.
Maybe. A *lot* of marriages end in divorce. And this is especially true in sports where, frequently, ego plays no small role. We'll see. I hoping for the best.
Caddy Day
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Everybody has an ego, matter of character. Another new HC may have picked a younger assistant or a reliable associate who is relative wallflower..
Very obvious that Gait is not insecure by his choice.

He knows Petro is a counterweight to his rather low key personalty. YIng and yangs tend to be complementary. Not unusual for high level HC to focus on one side of the ball and leave a coordinator to the other. HC have enough to manage then trying to control all facets He'll let Petro be Petro and they'll work together within the boundaries discussed. For Petro, Cuse platform keeps him in limelight and his stay likely lasts until the right HC opportunity opens for him. That could be next year or years, degree of success factors .

Gait and Pietramala have a few prime vets to be competitive but the ACC is deep and unrelenting and their OCC schedule is said to be tough. Much remains to be seen . Free wheeling offenses can be productive and enjoyable to watch but can be beset and stunted by heavy turnovers. Style only as good as substance. Defenses whether geared to be disciplined or aggressive are only as good as the overall talent and coordination.

Implementing new ways involve a learning curve that requires some time, expecting early hiccups followed incremental gains .The general consensus is that Cuse should be a top fifteen team and can be a top ten if some potentials realized . Cuse fans are not expecting a championship run this year but making playoffs is a imperative to most.
DMac

Post by DMac »

As long as it's a good honeymoon and happy marriage for a couple of years I'd think that's about all one can realistically expect, unless of course DP finds it comfortable riding in the passenger's seat while hubby drives the car.
Will there be a ring bearer?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

stupefied wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:59 am Everybody has an ego, matter of character. Another new HC may have picked a younger assistant or a reliable associate who is relative wallflower..
Very obvious that Gait is not insecure by his choice.

He knows Petro is a counterweight to his rather low key personalty. YIng and yangs tend to be complementary. Not unusual for high level HC to focus on one side of the ball and leave a coordinator to the other. HC have enough to manage then trying to control all facets He'll let Petro be Petro and they'll work together within the boundaries discussed. For Petro, Cuse platform keeps him in limelight and his stay likely lasts until the right HC opportunity opens for him. That could be next year or years, degree of success factors .

Gait and Pietramala have a few prime vets to be competitive but the ACC is deep and unrelenting and their OCC schedule is said to be tough. Much remains to be seen . Free wheeling offenses can be productive and enjoyable to watch but can be beset and stunted by heavy turnovers. Style only as good as substance. Defenses whether geared to be disciplined or aggressive are only as good as the overall talent and coordination.

Implementing new ways involve a learning curve that requires some time, expecting early hiccups followed incremental gains .The general consensus is that Cuse should be a top fifteen team and can be a top ten if some potentials realized . Cuse fans are not expecting a championship run this year but making playoffs is a imperative to most.
Why doesn’t the OC ever get a mention?
“I wish you would!”
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

One Cuse-JHU pairing that would top Gait and Petro would be Dmac and Wombat amicably sharing drinks at Charles Village Pub.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

things that are very relevant to Petro's transition to cuse (which mostly haven't been covered)
-his struggles against your acc rivals including the coach you just parted ways with last spring
-see above with an emphasis on DUKE
-his inability to develop ssdms
-his inability to develop consistent quality long term goaltending
-his teams inability to consistently win gbs
-lack of speed and athleticism of his players across the field
-his teams inability to perform in may
-DUKE
-his game plans and in game changes against elite rivals especially in May
-whether he can rediscover his ability to make the adjustments he did from 04 to 05, 13 to 14/15, and in season 07/08 that produced his greatest success as a coach.
-what differences there are at your university from hopkins that will enable him to find greater success. Admissions, administrative support, etc.
-Benson thrived with Maryland last year. Same guy, new surrounding, different result.
-early recruiting and what he learned from that
-Will Belichick embrace cuse now that Petro is there
-His relationship with Villanova's Jay Wright who I guess won't be giving any pregame speeches at this coaching stop.
-ncaa tournament record since 2009

things that are not as relevant (which have gotten the bulk of the coverage in his transition)
-his personal health
-his kids futures (no team is 1-2 players away)
-his relationship w/members of his coaching staff (which he had at hopkins)
-his place in the game as a player and coach (established decades ago)
-his personality
-the energy this new staff is going to inject into your program
a fan

Post by a fan »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:12 pm -Benson thrived with Maryland last year. Same guy, new surrounding, different result.
That tells you all you need to know, but you're too busy bashing your HOF coach to pay attention.

But sure, you're right----how come Benson didn't just run his "give the ball to Bernhardt" offense when he was at Hopkins?

Gee, i just can't figure it out. Come to think of it, why didn't Desko use Benson's "give the ball to Bernhardt" offense last year?

Hmmm. Lacrosse is complicated. I'll have to think on that.
Sidelinehorn!

Post by Sidelinehorn! »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:12 pm -his inability to develop ssdms
I thought he developed decent Dmids during their run from like 2003-2010....Turned guys like David Spaulding from an attackman into a starting dmid and had success..
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Very little of 06's post is worth paying attention to.

Petro's biggest fault, according to most, was the early recruiting. That has been solved on its own due to the rule change. Neither he nor anyone else can commit to 8th graders anymore.

The other main issue cited by many was that he put too much on his plate as the head coach, lead recruiter, and defensive coordinator all at the same time, which some argue (I think with some validity, as Petro himself admitted) led to occasional lapses in all three facets over time. That, too, has cleared up on its own, as now he gets to focus on the D while Gait handles most of the other stuff.

There were occasional concerns about player behavior but that is really not unique to him and happens at a lot of places. Including, obviously, Syracuse, very recently and much more publicly.

So he's already starting at Cuse from a *completely* different place from when he last coached. Whether or not that will allow him more success, I have no idea. But most of these questions are irrelevant. Don't even get me started about "his relationship with Jay Wright." Who has ever given a sh*t about that LOL
terp talk

Post by terp talk »

Great Coaches always put their egos aside when hiring their staff. Gait could not have found a better DC then Petro. Tillman when faced with a quick decision last year. found the best conceivable guy (Benson) to coach his offense. Petro wanted to get back in the game so he put his ego aside and gladly joined Gait. Where do you find an assistant who has 2 Natties? . Gait and Petro could be an indestructible duo. Game of the year? Maryland goes to the Dome on Feb 19th. Four incredible lacrosse minds will battle it out.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

He had the best 2 SSDM middies i have seen on the field at the same time: Kyle Harrison and Benson Irwin. My opinion,

Once you display a skill you own it.

I didn’t see the same level of skill in the later players as i did in the early players.

As Matt noted there are no guarantees in athletics but I am long on Cuse the next five years

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”