Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Stanford

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

From a previous scuffle with Colorado

OuttaNowhereWregget

#1 incoming recruiting class

12! incoming--impressive. Big frosh class with high hopes.

OuttaNowhereWregget

A non-sequitur occurs to me--why did Stanford decide on Cardinal for a team nickname? How many millions of times a year across all teams playing under the Stanford umbrella are they miscalled the Cardinals rather than the Cardinal?

"Yah--let's call ourselves the Cardinal."
"You mean like the bird?"
"No, the color. Syracuse is named Orange."
"Yah but no one ever mistakenly calls them the Oranges."

Oh brother.

Anyway--one of the most shortsighted and impractical nicknames in all of sports.
Last edited by OuttaNowhereWregget on Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Of the 12 girls shown I think 9 are true freshman. Other girls elected to redshirt last year due to Covid and are sophomores.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Stanford has been really disappointing considering all the talent they bring in. They've had a number 1 class 2 or 3 times in the past 10 years or so with nothing to show for it. They'll be a perennial top 20 team every year but they need to make major strides to be up there with the true elites.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Kleizaster wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:55 am Stanford has been really disappointing considering all the talent they bring in. They've had a number 1 class 2 or 3 times in the past 10 years or so with nothing to show for it. They'll be a perennial top 20 team every year but they need to make major strides to be up there with the true elites.
Agreed
Itsallgood

Post by Itsallgood »

Kleizaster wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:55 am Stanford has been really disappointing considering all the talent they bring in. They've had a number 1 class 2 or 3 times in the past 10 years or so with nothing to show for it. They'll be a perennial top 20 team every year but they need to make major strides to be up there with the true elites.
Ok I’m going to go down a different route. The present coaching staff was able to do great things at Dartmouth with lower ranked recruits ( I don’t rank em ). Moving forward and with a little bit of time I’m thinking Stanford will be top 10 in 2 years. Basically when this incoming freshman/ redshirt freshman class are juniors. Time will tell and staying healthy as always plays a very big part. In Danielle Spencer’s last year at Dartmouth they were super tenacious and a really tough out. Expect that style of play to be coming your way.
westcoastlax

Post by westcoastlax »

Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior, Grad student

With increased Covid eligibility and the transfer portal, it is tough to keep track of who is what year.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Itsallgood wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:39 am
Ok I’m going to go down a different route. The present coaching staff was able to do great things at Dartmouth with lower ranked recruits ( I don’t rank em ). Moving forward and with a little bit of time I’m thinking Stanford will be top 10 in 2 years. Basically when this incoming freshman/ redshirt freshman class are juniors. Time will tell and staying healthy as always plays a very big part. In Danielle Spencer’s last year at Dartmouth they were super tenacious and a really tough out. Expect that style of play to be coming your way.
[/quot

Time will surely tell. That’s why they play ‘em on the field. I seem to recall PSU had the #1 recruiting class in 2020.
Itsallgood

Post by Itsallgood »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:55 am
Itsallgood wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:39 am
[/quot

Time will surely tell. That’s why they play ‘em on the field. I seem to recall PSU had the #1 recruiting class in 2020.
I’m not sure it’s fair to evaluate anything following the 2019 season, too many unknowns as far as how seasons might have played out. Teams have had different rules and criteria for practice, socialization and other team building and bonding experiences. Who knows if some of the transfers we have witnessed would have stayed at their original choices sans Covid regulations. Let’s hope for a healthy and happy 2022 season for all of the student athletes !
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Stanford off to a great start as they look to establish themselves as an elite team. School just announced that first 2 weeks of spring classes will be remote. Will it go beyond that? Yikes - but I'm sure they are following the science even though zero students have probably been hospitalized from Covid.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Lax101 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:52 pm Stanford off to a great start as they look to establish themselves as an elite team. School just announced that first 2 weeks of spring classes will be remote. Will it go beyond that? Yikes - but I'm sure they are following the science even though zero students have probably been hospitalized from Covid.
The more things I hear like this, the more I'm thinking there's a chance the coming season is going to be anything but back to normal.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Stanford releases 2022 slate

Playing Syracuse right out of the gate! Should be a good game.

https://gostanford.com/news/2021/12/17/ ... eiled.aspx
hmmm

Re: Stanford releases 2022 slate

Post by hmmm »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:25 pm Playing Syracuse right out of the gate! Should be a good game.

The PAC-12 playing each team twice really hurts their SOS and makes it harder to get at large teams in. But the travel would be insane otherwise.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Stanford releases 2022 slate

hmmm wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:00 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:25 pm Playing Syracuse right out of the gate! Should be a good game.

The PAC-12 playing each team twice really hurts their SOS and makes it harder to get at large teams in. But the travel would be insane otherwise.
Agreed on all.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Stanford frosh's #6 Ashley Humphrey and #33 Annabel Frist are making a lot of noise early on.

AH - 5a vs Syr; 4g 7a vs UA = 4g 12a in 2 games
AF - 3g vs Syr; 6g 1a vs AU = 9g 1a in 2 games

The dynamic duo has produced a combined 13 goals and 13 assists in 2 games.

8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Not a good showing for Stanford against Denver, losing 8-6.
OuttaNowhereWregget

8meterPA wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:19 am Not a good showing for Stanford against Denver, losing 8-6.
Tough to swallow considering the Cardinal had a 5-2 lead late in the second. Then Denver scored 6 straight goals. Stanford didn’t score for 30 minutes of game time. By then it was too late. I think I read Denver’s defense allowed only 3 shots the whole 2nd half. Good young talent on the Cardinal though. Humphery and Frist got more ink down on the scoresheet. Maybe they’ll get a shot at the Pios again in the NCAA’s if they both make it back.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Denver defense has 3 seniors and a grad student. Stanford has a young attack who needs to make the jump to D1. Liza Kelly is experienced and has a track record of developing players. Dani Spencer is, well, Dani Spencer. No game plan, no in game adjustments, no identified track record of developing players. GAME OVER. You can recruit all the #1 classes in the world, but it takes a COACH to win games. Reference: Kimel, Myers, Halfpenny. Spencer may yet live up to the hype, but she has a long way to go.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”