~46~ Lame Duck Unfit Uncle Joe Biden ~46~

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: ~46~ Unfit Uncle Joe Biden ~46~

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:46 am
a fan wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:14 am
old salt wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:09 am
a fan wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:26 am ...what CAN happen, and is almost certain to happen, is a total shut down of trade.

Picture every Chinese student removed. I don't think that either China or Putin want to deal with the consequences.
I am not at all confident that would happen.
Where does the American left---the people who would really lose it, if they took over Taiwan-----have any power in America?
Wall Street, Silicon Valley, Hollywood, the NBA.
Preach brother! Preach!!

“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:08 pm FTR -- I've said that I have isolationist tendencies. That is the way I am inclined until cirumstances & pragmatism dictate otherwise.
The problem is that that doesn't mean anything. What you REALLY means is: you have opinions about US interventionism or isolationism based on individual circumstances. Which is fine, of course.
old salt wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:25 pm We can't undo what's been done. Instead of global cop, I prefer we act as the leader of a vigilante posse of democracies.
Due to our history up to this point, it's impossible to be isolationist in the pre/post WW-I sense.
Yes. Hold Germany's coat, because this is more their problem than ours.

Trump pulled America back, and stopped leading the world, did he not? And for 4 years, what happened? Nothing. So lets all make a note of that, please.
old salt wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:25 pm Strategic ambiguity is necessary, We may calculate that Putin & Xi won't invade, but we can't be sure.
If we disarm the posse, we give up deterrence & leave the door open.
We're about to blow another $1Trillion on defense when Biden signs that bill. The Posse is beyond armed, OS. Ridiculously so.

But as I've said---China knows we're not going to go to military war over Taiwan.....if we're going to formulate a thoughtful foreign policy, lets start by not pretending that they are idiots.

We've discussed these things for years.....I'm sick of letting the other teams outsmart us. If Putin wants to hemorrhage money by blowing it on (snicker) pointless submarines and delusions of grandeur by invading Ukraine? Let him. Put up a fake outraged face for the public, stop trading with them, and laugh as Putin's merchant class bleeds out financially.

Same for China. Let them snuff out the most entrepreneurial part of their nation...and give their best and brightest no hope or freedom. Then put up a fake outraged face for the public, eject their students, and stop trading with them. Let them blunt the tip of their economic spear.

Moneyball.....don't stand in the way of the other team when they want to make mistakes.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:29 pm
old salt wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:08 pm FTR -- I've said that I have isolationist tendencies. That is the way I am inclined until cirumstances & pragmatism dictate otherwise.
The problem is that that doesn't mean anything. What you REALLY means is: you have opinions about US interventionism or isolationism based on individual circumstances. Which is fine, of course.
old salt wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:25 pm We can't undo what's been done. Instead of global cop, I prefer we act as the leader of a vigilante posse of democracies.
Due to our history up to this point, it's impossible to be isolationist in the pre/post WW-I sense.
Yes. Hold Germany's coat, because this is more their problem than ours.

Trump pulled America back, and stopped leading the world, did he not? And for 4 years, what happened? Nothing. So lets all make a note of that, please.
old salt wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:25 pm Strategic ambiguity is necessary, We may calculate that Putin & Xi won't invade, but we can't be sure.
If we disarm the posse, we give up deterrence & leave the door open.
We're about to blow another $1Trillion on defense when Biden signs that bill. The Posse is beyond armed, OS. Ridiculously so.

But as I've said---China knows we're not going to go to military war over Taiwan.....if we're going to formulate a thoughtful foreign policy, lets start by not pretending that they are idiots.

We've discussed these things for years.....I'm sick of letting the other teams outsmart us. If Putin wants to hemorrhage money by blowing it on (snicker) pointless submarines and delusions of grandeur by invading Ukraine? Let him. Put up a fake outraged face for the public, stop trading with them, and laugh as Putin's merchant class bleeds out financially.

Same for China. Let them snuff out the most entrepreneurial part of their nation...and give their best and brightest no hope or freedom. Then put up a fake outraged face for the public, eject their students, and stop trading with them. Let them blunt the tip of their economic spear.

Moneyball.....don't stand in the way of the other team when they want to make mistakes.
It's the armed posse that enabled you to learn your craft in Bavaria & market your product globally.
Were it not for our defense budgets, you'd have had to learn you craft from KY moonshiners, brew in the bathtub & sell in local taverns.
I'm trying to find a way to do what has to be done while coercing our allies to contribute their share to the common defense.
China is about to overtake us in Pacific naval strength. Wait until they open naval bases in W Africa & Nicaragua. They already operate the Panama Canal. Are you willing to let China dominate the sea lanes ? We can't be a hermit island kingdom, as appealing as that notion may be.
You want a global cop on the job, you just don't want to pay for it or have us do it.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:48 pm It's the armed posse that enabled you to learn your craft in Bavaria & market your product globally.
Were it not for our defense budgets, you'd have had to learn you craft from KY moonshiners, brew in the bathtub & sell in local taverns.
Entirely true. And I thank you and 2badknees for your part in that. But Brewing School ended for me in 1996. Time for new foreign policy strategies.
old salt wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:25 pm I'm trying to find a way to do what has to be done while coercing our allies to contribute their share to the common defense.
Cut them off. Give them one year's warning to pass a budget, and then bring our troops home from NATO bases. That would do it.
old salt wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:25 pm China is about to overtake us in Pacific naval strength. Wait until they open naval bases in W Africa & Nicaragua. They already operate the Panama Canal. Are you willing to let China dominate the sea lanes ?
Again, we're just about to blow almost another trillion on defense this very week. How much more money do you need, for heaven's sake?

old salt wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:48 pm You want a global cop on the job, you just don't want to pay for it or have us do it.
You wanna worry about China? Worry about the tens of thousands of PhD and MS engineers and scientists they're graduating every year....and most of them here in America. What's your party doing about that?

Nothing. If we get in the Cold War that you and your team want? They'll clean our clocks. You're worried about ships? I"m not. I'm worried about R&D, innovation, and trade. And they're killing us on all counts. And the ONLY person I've heard who wants to fix the problem is Bernie Sanders. You rejected his ideas, which is fine..but you replaced the ideas with nothing. A shoulder shrug from your party. "We have no ideas".

It's depressing. Wanna see how we're doing, OS? Have a look at this map.....

https://merchantmachine.co.uk/china-vs-us/
old salt

Post by old salt »

The "your team vs my team" stuff is childish & a killer of the reasonable exchange of ideas.

I was not aware that the GOP controls college entrance. They sure don't influence faculty or curriculum.

It's amazing how much global trade you can corner when you offer slave labor while practicing theft of intellectual property & industrial espionage.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:53 pm The "your team vs my team" stuff is childish & a killer of the reasonable exchange of ideas.

I was not aware that the GOP controls college entrance. They sure don't influence faculty or curriculum.

It's amazing how much global trade you can corner when you offer “slave labor” while practicing theft of intellectual property & industrial espionage.
Ain’t that the he truth.
“I wish you would!”
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:59 pm
old salt wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:53 pm The "your team vs my team" stuff is childish & a killer of the reasonable exchange of ideas.

It's amazing how much global trade you can corner when you offer “slave labor” while practicing theft of intellectual property & industrial espionage.
Ain’t that the he truth.
What does the United States know about slave labor or theft (other than land) anyhow. We got where we are by roll up the sleeves hard work.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

a fan wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:39 pm
old salt wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:48 pm It's the armed posse that enabled you to learn your craft in Bavaria & market your product globally.
Entirely true. And I thank you and 2badknees for your part in that. But Brewing School ended for me in 1996. Time for new foreign policy strategies.
old salt wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:25 pm I'm trying to find a way to do what has to be done while coercing our allies to contribute their share to the common defense.
Cut them off. Give them one year's warning to pass a budget, and then bring our troops home from NATO bases. That would do it.
old salt wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:25 pm China is about to overtake us in Pacific naval strength. Wait until they open naval bases in W Africa & Nicaragua. They already operate the Panama Canal. Are you willing to let China dominate the sea lanes ?
Again, we're just about to blow almost another trillion on defense this very week. How much more money do you need, for heaven's sake?

old salt wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:48 pm You want a global cop on the job, you just don't want to pay for it or have us do it.
You wanna worry about China? Worry about the tens of thousands of PhD and MS engineers and scientists they're graduating every year....and most of them here in America. What's your party doing about that?

Nothing. If we get in the Cold War that you and your team want? They'll clean our clocks. You're worried about ships? I"m not. I'm worried about R&D, innovation, and trade. And they're killing us on all counts. And the ONLY person I've heard who wants to fix the problem is Bernie Sanders. You rejected his ideas, which is fine..but you replaced the ideas with nothing. A shoulder shrug from your party. "We have no ideas".

It's depressing. Wanna see how we're doing, OS? Have a look at this map.....

https://merchantmachine.co.uk/china-vs-us/
Small point of order, given that I know that you care about facts, but the statement bolded above is ridiculously wrong.

China graduates, at home, from Chinese universities, 30% more than what we do here in the US in total, including international students.

That said, your more important point, if I understood it, is correct, as it's even worse than that ratio (closer to triple) as more than half, indeed over 60% of STEM graduate students in the US come from various countries abroad, and that includes India, China, Korea, and other countries. Meaning less than 40% are American born.

But the issue isn't that our universities attract full pay foreign students, it's that we do such a miserable job of encouraging and motivating US-born students to go into STEM. We also don't do nearly enough to grab and hold onto the international students who earn grad degrees here to stay and work here, become citizens, etc...we actually discourage it and that's really, really dumb.

Just thought that the myth about the US training all the Chinese STEM grad students deserves to be put to rest.

But do focus on getting Americans excited about STEM as it's indeed a big problem if we don't get off our butts and get serious.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

ardilla secreta wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:09 pm

Ain’t that the he truth.
What does the United States know about slave labor or theft (other than land) anyhow. We got where we are by roll up the sleeves hard work.
Pulled ourselves up by our boot straps…..would live to run an enterprise where I didn’t have to pay for land and employees. Would have a slight advantage.
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:30 pm

Ain’t that the he truth.
Pulled ourselves up by our boot straps…..would live to run an enterprise where I didn’t have to pay for land and employees. Would have a slight advantage.
Yet China still practices slavery, theft of intellectual property, & industrial espionage. ...proudly, with no pretense of guilt.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:07 am

Ain’t that the he truth.
Yet China still practices slavery, theft of intellectual property, & industrial espionage. ...proudly, with no pretense of guilt.
:lol: :lol: :lol: what are you going to do about it?
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:31 am

Ain’t that the he truth.
Call it out for what it is & stop enabling it.

You think they're not intimidated by our diplomatic boycott of their olympics ? :lol:
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:47 am

Ain’t that the he truth.

You think they're not intimidated by our diplomatic boycott of their olympics ? :lol:
Who did you send the memo to?
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

So is ridiculous games where "coincidentally" everything a D POTUS does is wrong when it comes to you and their foreign policy, and everything a R does is. Are you going to stop playing that childish game first?

Two examples. You would NOT stop complaining about how condescending you thought Obama was. Trump enters----and I think to myself, "oh Old Salt's gonna hate how the most abrasive, condescending, insulting man America has ever seen behaves".

Nope. You thought it was great when Trump and his little R did it. And, of course, out came the excuses as to how Trump's condescension was "different". :lol:

And just in this thread? I tell you Biden's about to cut a check for almost $1 Trillion for defense spending....and your reaction to this news is "we're a declining power".

Every other poster knows you do this. At SOME POINT you're going to recognize this behavior, right? Stop doing it, and start being evenhanded with your foreign policy criticism, and I'll stop calling it out. I'd be overjoyed to do that.

Heck, I'll even go first. But can you explain to me why Republicans in Congress decided to wait for Trump to leave before demanding we start a Cold War with China?
old salt wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:53 pm I was not aware that the GOP controls college entrance.
For all State Schools (and Federal)? Of course they control who gets in. They also influence how large the schools are, what they teach, how students pay for it, and how many foreign students are allowed and on and on.

These are government schools, OS.
old salt wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:53 pm They sure don't influence faculty or curriculum.
In GOP run States....the 23 States where R's run the whole show)? They absolutely do. It's not my fault they aren't bright enough to understand how their own State schools work.
old salt wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:53 pm It's amazing how much global trade you can corner when you offer slave labor while practicing theft of intellectual property & industrial espionage.
Takes two to tango, and I told you this when Trump started his fake trade war, and was roundly mocked----the only way to stop China from IP theft is to A. work together with the EU on a collective trade agreement, and stop trading with China if they don't play ball. B. Eject all Chinese students in American Universities. C. Blow a couple billion dollars of Federal money helping US trade groups to find new trading partners that aren't Chinese. And you can start with the UK because of Brexit.

Did we do any of these things? Nope. But now that Biden has arrived? Suddenly Republicans have found a burst of magic courage, and are demanding that Biden do something.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Ain’t that the he truth.
You mean like pretending to "Stand up to China", and instead, enabling the most Imports from China since we started trading with them?
old salt wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:53 pm You think they're not intimidated by our diplomatic boycott of their olympics ? :lol:
Says the guy who thought they'd be intimidated by Trump's fake Trade War. How'd that work out? Are things better or worse four years later? And of course, you can't be bothered to simply say "yep, Trump failed to deal with China".

You, Republican voters, and Republican leadership want a Cold War with China, but didn't have the stones to demand that Trump do that ...and you had four years to do it. So please, spare us the silly criticism that Biden is "doing it wrong".
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

a fan wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:00 pm

Ain’t that the he truth.
You mean like pretending to "Stand up to China", and instead, enabling the most Imports from China since we started trading with them?
old salt wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:53 pm You think they're not intimidated by our diplomatic boycott of their olympics ? :lol:
Says the guy who thought they'd be intimidated by Trump's fake Trade War. How'd that work out? Are things better or worse four years later? And of course, you can't be bothered to simply say "yep, Trump failed to deal with China".

You, Republican voters, and Republican leadership want a Cold War with China, but didn't have the stones to demand that Trump do that ...and you had four years to do it. So please, spare us the silly criticism that Biden is "doing it wrong".
‘And of course, you can't be bothered to simply say "yep, Trump failed to deal with China".‘

Epistemic humility is rarely seen…
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:54 am
So is ridiculous games where "coincidentally" everything a D POTUS does is wrong when it comes to you and their foreign policy, and everything a R does is. Are you going to stop playing that childish game first?

Two examples. You would NOT stop complaining about how condescending you thought Obama was. Trump enters----and I think to myself, "oh Old Salt's gonna hate how the most abrasive, condescending, insulting man America has ever seen behaves".

Nope. You thought it was great when Trump and his little R did it. And, of course, out came the excuses as to how Trump's condescension was "different". :lol:
The GOP, even with Trump = the less bad option. The alternative was collusion with the Russians via Simpson, Steele & Danchenko. What do the (D)'s deliver ? = BLM/Antifa rioting, looting & arson. Criminalizing the police. Radical prosecutors immediately returning violent criminals to the street. Increasing violent crime & homicide rates. Waves of smash & grab & random street violence.
Trump delivered energy self-sufficiency. Biden immediately strangled domestic energy production, yielding increasing imports & prices.
Empty shelves. Soaring inflation. Voters chafe under endless, inconsistent authoritarian mandates which fail to restore normalcy as promised. They've discovered what their kids have been being taught in school.

(R) voters see all that, recall how things were in 2016-19, & to them, even Trump & his nutty fringe supporters don't look as bad, given the limited choices.

And just in this thread? I tell you Biden's about to cut a check for almost $1 Trillion for defense spending....and your reaction to this news is "we're a declining power".We are, relative to China & Russia. We've worn out forces & equipment over the past 2 decades, while Russia has modernized their forces & China has grown & upgreaded theirs.

Every other poster knows you do this. At SOME POINT you're going to recognize this behavior, right? Stop doing it, and start being evenhanded with your foreign policy criticism, and I'll stop calling it out. I'd be overjoyed to do that.

Heck, I'll even go first. But can you explain to me why Republicans in Congress decided to wait for Trump to leave before demanding we start a Cold War with China? They didn't wait. You were not paying attention. (R)'s in both houses, Mattis/Esper/McMaster/O'brien/Pompeo were calling out China. Did you watch the money honey or listen to Gen Keane. I chronicled our increased military activity in W Pac as it happened. Remember when the msm went nuts when they lost track of one of our carriers.

They were calling our China for Trump's entire term

old salt wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:53 pm I was not aware that the GOP controls college entrance.
For all State Schools (and Federal)? Of course they control who gets in. They also influence how large the schools are, what they teach, how students pay for it, and how many foreign students are allowed and on and on.

These are government schools, OS. :lol: :roll:
You won't find a redder, Trumpier state than MO. Remember the flap when the Mizzou prof was caught on video calling for "some muscle" to stop a student reporter from video-ing a BLM rally on campus ?
old salt wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:53 pm They sure don't influence faculty or curriculum.
In GOP run States....the 23 States where R's run the whole show)? They absolutely do. It's not my fault they aren't bright enough to understand how their own State schools work.
old salt wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:53 pm It's amazing how much global trade you can corner when you offer slave labor while practicing theft of intellectual property & industrial espionage.
Takes two to tango, and I told you this when Trump started his fake trade war, and was roundly mocked----the only way to stop China from IP theft is to A. work together with the EU on a collective trade agreement, and stop trading with China if they don't play ball. B. Eject all Chinese students in American Universities. C. Blow a couple billion dollars of Federal money helping US trade groups to find new trading partners that aren't Chinese. And you can start with the UK because of Brexit. Good ideas, imho, but how could Trump & GOP, or either party, force that in just 3 years. Look at the ferocious push back that Trump received from both parties when he tried to reduce trade with China. It's impossible to reverse decades of increases in just 3 years. Our Wall St banks are just as greedy as the EUroburghers or their Russian oligarch partners.

Did we do any of these things? Nope. But now that Biden has arrived? Suddenly Republicans have found a burst of magic courage, and are demanding that Biden do something.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:56 pm
a fan wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:54 am

The GOP, even with Trump = the less bad option. The alternative was collusion with the Russians via Simpson, Steele & Danchenko. What do the (D)'s deliver ? = BLM/Antifa rioting, looting & arson. Criminalizing the police. Radical prosecutors immediately returning violent criminals to the street. Increasing violent crime & homicide rates. Waves of smash & grab & random street violence.
Trump delivered energy self-sufficiency. Biden immediately strangled domestic energy production, yielding increasing imports & prices.
Empty shelves. Soaring inflation. Voters chafe under endless, inconsistent authoritarian mandates which fail to restore normalcy as promised. They've discovered what their kids have been being taught in school.

(R) voters see all that, recall how things were in 2016-19, & to them, even Trump & his nutty fringe supporters don't look as bad, given the limited choices.

And just in this thread? I tell you Biden's about to cut a check for almost $1 Trillion for defense spending....and your reaction to this news is "we're a declining power".We are, relative to China & Russia. We've worn out forces & equipment over the past 2 decades, while Russia has modernized their forces & China has grown & upgreaded theirs.

Heck, I'll even go first. But can you explain to me why Republicans in Congress decided to wait for Trump to leave before demanding we start a Cold War with China? They didn't wait. You were not paying attention. (R)'s in both houses, Mattis/Esper/McMaster/O'brien/Pompeo were calling out China. Did you watch the money honey or listen to Gen Keane. I chronicled our increased military activity in W Pac as it happened. Remember when the msm went nuts when they lost track of one of our carriers.

They were calling our China for Trump's entire term

These are government schools, OS. :lol: :roll:
You won't find a redder, Trumpier state than MO. Remember the flap when the Mizzou prof was caught on video calling for "some muscle" to stop a student reporter from video-ing a BLM rally on campus ?
Takes two to tango, and I told you this when Trump started his fake trade war, and was roundly mocked----the only way to stop China from IP theft is to A. work together with the EU on a collective trade agreement, and stop trading with China if they don't play ball. B. Eject all Chinese students in American Universities. C. Blow a couple billion dollars of Federal money helping US trade groups to find new trading partners that aren't Chinese. And you can start with the UK because of Brexit. Good ideas, imho, but how could Trump & GOP, or either party, force that in just 3 years. Look at the ferocious push back that Trump received from both parties when he tried to reduce trade with China. It's impossible to reverse decades of increases in just 3 years. Our Wall St banks are just as greedy as the EUroburghers or their Russian oligarch partners.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2 ... s-in-2020/

:lol: :lol: :lol:
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”