Loyola Greyhounds 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
houndace1

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2022

Post by houndace1 »

laxbro11 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:54 pm
houndace1 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:46 pm Are we all forgetting the fact that this team was 5-5 at one point with a majority of these guys playing?

This is not a knock on loyola at all, I’m an alum, I’m an avid fan, and I am just as excited as ever with this 2022 slate.

But I’m toning down my optimism at least for a bit until we see the first game with all these pieces playing together again

Look on paper all the pieces look great for 2022, and they looked great for 2021 but every week we were arguing back and forth with one another on what needs to change, whats not working.

SSDM’s as good as They are, still got burned in games
Poles, as much experience and system knowledge they have, still got beat and had some lapses

The offense was so stagnant in the first 5 games, and then things clicked after MVA made some changes and they started scoring
This is where a lot of my optimism lies

Who after Bailey is going to be the fogo?? SNG in a way kind of impacted his dominance. Who is left after him?

WOTS for shafer is that he’s playing really well and picking up from last may, that’s great news.

Every single OOC game I can see it as a toss up, but it is IMPERATIVE that they play like how they left off in may and get good results under their belts, especially the MD and hopkins games those are two bonafide RPI and SOS boosters
Trust me, I was not a fan of the offense at the beginning of last year. They struggled passing the ball, the turned it over, there was not flow to their game. Once Vanarsdale, switched up the mids, we started clicking.

I watched the fall scrimmages, they looked light years ahead of the beginning of last season.

What I see is that the are playing with confidence and that is what you need in big games,

After Schafer-- Teitelbaum or Staudt
After Savio --Pachecko or Farley
Would you mind sharing some insight with what you saw during the Delaware and villanova scrimmage day
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

houndace1 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:46 pm Are we all forgetting the fact that this team was 5-5 at one point with a majority of these guys playing?

This is not a knock on loyola at all, I’m an alum, I’m an avid fan, and I am just as excited as ever with this 2022 slate.

But I’m toning down my optimism at least for a bit until we see the first game with all these pieces playing together again

Look on paper all the pieces look great for 2022, and they looked great for 2021 but every week we were arguing back and forth with one another on what needs to change, whats not working.

Poles, as much experience and system knowledge they have, still got beat and had some lapses

The offense was so stagnant in the first 5 games, and then things clicked after MVA made some changes and they started scoring

Who after Bailey is going to be the fogo?? SNG in a way kind of impacted his dominance. Who is left after him?

WOTS for shafer is that he’s playing really well and picking up from last may, that’s great news.

Every single OOC game I can see it as a toss up, but it is IMPERATIVE that they play like how they left off in may and get good results under their belts, especially the MD and hopkins games those are two bonafide RPI and SOS boosters
Not making excuses, but last year was a tough year for all these kids and teams...the Hounds really didn't practice much in the fall if at all...out of state kids could not even come to the facility...then the kids missed practice time in Jan with Covid positives, then after 1 game (Richmond) we lost one of our best young talents in Kamish with a broken foot for a month...that forced some lineup changes that took some time to gel...then we thought we had Kamish back...he started to light it up and then suffered a really bad injury...we promptly lost to Navy...one other note...one of our other young talents Poitras was recovering from off season surgery (a major surgery)...he took a bit to get back...but he really played solid the second half...

But then we got it together and made a great 3-4 week run...let's be honest...too your point, the season was a bit of a mess with the exception of the last few weeks...

So why am I bullish? I think we don't have to deal with any of the turd we had to navigate through last year...we have a really promising team with lots of pieces...

We gotta hope for better health for all our guys...

I think the team will look a bit different in February then it did in the fall (offensively)...only because I think Kamish is valued very much by this staff...if he's healthy and can do what he does, then he's gonna be on the field a lot...and if he's not healthy we will know it because he won't be on the field...then someone that got run in the fall will continue to get run...

The defense is gonna be better IMO

I think SSDM is a very key spot to keep an eye on...such an important position...you need 4 really good guys...we know we have 1...maybe 2...we need to get 4 guys clicking and playing plus lacrosse...

Last year was a weird year that was covered up by a nice late run...

I think if things break our way (mainly health), we're gonna be really really good

Sorry. I just can't wait until Feb
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

houndace1 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:00 pm

Trust me, I was not a fan of the offense at the beginning of last year. They struggled passing the ball, the turned it over, there was not flow to their game. Once Vanarsdale, switched up the mids, we started clicking.

I watched the fall scrimmages, they looked light years ahead of the beginning of last season.

What I see is that the are playing with confidence and that is what you need in big games,

Would you mind sharing some insight with what you saw during the Delaware and villanova scrimmage day
Villinova scrimmage, Loyola was firing on all cylinders... They were playing as a team, moving the ball, anticipating, passing and catching and creating offense. The offense was like it was at the end of the season last year.

Defensively they were solid... Schafer solid in goal

Delaware, our ones played well, but we played a lot the younger players. You could see that their inexperience hurt them against the Delaware starters
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Agree. But really think its important to note that this is POTENTIAL.
The boys better be working and buying in. Offseason is when games are won. Not starting MLK weekend. It's a hell of a tough schedule - nothing will come easy this year. One week at a time, continue to improve and grow as the season goes. The goal isn't to peak in February, but do well enough in February-April that you can qualify for May.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:19 pm

Agree. But really think its important to note that this is POTENTIAL.
The boys better be working and buying in. Offseason is when games are won. Not starting MLK weekend. It's a hell of a tough schedule - nothing will come easy this year. One week at a time, continue to improve and grow as the season goes. The goal isn't to peak in February, but do well enough in February-April that you can qualify for May.
It's a marathon not a sprint...tough schedule but that will prepare them for the rigors of the PL schedule and hopefully success in May...

This team could look very different come April/May vs what it looks like in February

I'm pretty confident the guys are training and working hard...lacrosse at this level is pretty close to a year round job these days...training all year
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Perhaps someone could share the insight and outlook onto the program as a whole. Obviously Coach toomey and the staff are excellent with the way they run the program, find and recruit kids, develop them as men on and off the field and teach them many lessons in the adult life. Great school academically, its small enough to feel like home, but big enough to meet new people everyday.

Everything mentioned above is what makes the program so great. And yet, why is it that while the school lands good/great recruits 3-4 stars, what makes it about this program that for some reason they cannot land the top chips consistently? its in a hotbed for lacrosse, they play a schedule against some of the best teams in D1, they have the best student fan section in college lacrosse and a great venue to play at.

The team goes as far as the coaching and the talent level of the kids, but for this school and team that we all love, are they doing enough to compete with the big boys in terms of recruiting and success?

Talent does bring success, but what will it take for the program to win their 2nd national championship if they are getting the kids that they want vs the high 4-5 stars that Inside Lacrosse rank every year that goes somewhere else? is it the best HS players, is it luck of the draw?

They've gotten so close with a generational talent like Spencer and many quarterfinal appearances recently but what will it take to get them to the 2nd chip??
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

houndace1 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:51 pm Perhaps someone could share the insight and outlook onto the program as a whole. Obviously Coach toomey and the staff are excellent with the way they run the program, find and recruit kids, develop them as men on and off the field and teach them many lessons in the adult life. Great school academically, its small enough to feel like home, but big enough to meet new people everyday.

Everything mentioned above is what makes the program so great. And yet, why is it that while the school lands good/great recruits 3-4 stars, what makes it about this program that for some reason they cannot land the top chips consistently? its in a hotbed for lacrosse, they play a schedule against some of the best teams in D1, they have the best student fan section in college lacrosse and a great venue to play at.

The team goes as far as the coaching and the talent level of the kids, but for this school and team that we all love, are they doing enough to compete with the big boys in terms of recruiting and success?

Talent does bring success, but what will it take for the program to win their 2nd national championship if they are getting the kids that they want vs the high 4-5 stars that Inside Lacrosse rank every year that goes somewhere else? is it the best HS players, is it luck of the draw?

They've gotten so close with a generational talent like Spencer and many quarterfinal appearances recently but what will it take to get them to the 2nd chip??
If the right guys stay healthy this year, this team can win it all...period. We have the guys on both sides of the field...I believe that...

Don't get to caught up in recruiting rankings and stars...every year, out side of the top say 20 guys...the quote can't miss guys...the rest is a crapshoot in terms of rankings...a guy ranked 40-50 might not be as good or be the same as a guy ranked 150-200...that's a fact...I know for a fact we have guys on this team that passed on big ten and ACC schools to come to Loyola...

Georgetown is the recruiting darling right now...getting tons of top recruits and it's a great school, great program...look what happened last year...Loyola beat them...shorthanded without Kamish and James (who sat out to be ready for the PL tourney)

I get that UVA and Duke and MD, and UNC and maybe a small handful of others kill it in recruiting rankings...it's tough to compete with some of what those schools are offering...but the Hounds staff gets it done year over year...and I think a breakthrough can happen again soon...

Making the NCAA is damn hard...really hard. Advancing is even tougher. We have a great staff, a great facility, a great school in a great location...sometimes you need the bounces, sometimes you need a little luck...but if this current roster has a good year of health...we've got horses to run with...

I probably didn't answer any of your questions...but that's where I think we're at...and I think we're actually a bit spoiled...we're always in the conversation...or almost always ;)
Comeonman

Post by Comeonman »

Can’t disagree. A great tradition. Great coaching. Great culture. Lest anyone forgets or never knew, National Champs less than a decade ago.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

First and foremost, don't put an ounce of worth into ANY IL ranking.
We ARE getting the kids we want. They aren't lesser level kids. They just aren't the kids that get all the attention.
As an example, just a few years ago, Loyola was prioritizing kids like Cam Weyers, Payton Rezanka and Ryan McNulty while Hopkins was drooling over kids like Epstein and Zinn.
Loyola has a different mindset in priorities. Plus, Toomey places more value than most on the top kids with something to prove and chips on their shoulders.
Comparing it to the NFL, its actually a very different draft mentality. Much like a team that looks for specific things, slightly off-center, like the Ravens.
Last edited by kramerica.inc on Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:57 pm First and foremost, don't put an ounce of worth into ANY IL ranking.
We ARE getting the kids we want. They aren't lesser level kids. They just aren't the kids that get all the attention.
As an example, just a few years ago, Loyola was prioritizing kids like McNulty while Hopkins was drooling over kids like Epstein.
Loyola has a different mindset in priorities. Plus, Toomey places more value than most on the top kids with something to prove and chips on their shoulders.
Comparing it to the NFL, its actually a very different draft mentality. Much like a team that looks for specific things, slightly off-center, like the Ravens.
Just wondering how this is quantified?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:06 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:57 pm First and foremost, don't put an ounce of worth into ANY IL ranking.
As an example, just a few years ago, Loyola was prioritizing kids like McNulty while Hopkins was drooling over kids like Epstein.
Just wondering how is this quantified?
It's not easily quantifiable. But it's pretty easy to gauge once you know what you're looking for and recruit for a few seasons.
It means talking to the kid and getting to know the family. Parents can BS indefinitely but kids can't (or usually won't) do it for long.
It's a feeling you get when you get to know these athletes in the recruiting process.
Where does the kid go to school? What if that school/team profile? finesse or blue collar? Siblings? Birth order? What is the kid's role in his own family? How does he act with them? Is he a serious, parent figure? A clown, high energy? Does he work in the offseason? Where does he work? at the country club or retail, restaurant, hands-on? It's an imperfect science, but it does work and it all helps paint a pretty good picture of the kids you are getting.
Typical Lax Dad

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:17 pm
It's not easily quantifiable. But it's pretty easy to gauge once you know what you're looking for and recruit for a few seasons.
It means talking to the kid and getting to know the family. Parents can BS indefinitely but kids can't (or usually won't) do it for long.
It's a feeling you get when you get to know these athletes in the recruiting process.
Where does the kid go to school? What if that school/team profile? finesse or blue collar? Siblings? Birth order? What is the kid's role in his own family? How does he act with them? Is he a serious, parent figure? A clown, high energy? Does he work in the offseason? Where does he work? at the country club or retail, restaurant, hands-on? It's an imperfect science, but it does work and it all helps paint a pretty good picture of the kids you are getting.
Thanks. I believe Loyola is recruiting a friends son and I know a few kids that have played there. Just wondering.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

As an example, just a few years ago, Loyola was prioritizing kids like Cam Weyers, Payton Rezanka and Ryan McNulty while Hopkins was drooling over kids like Epstein and Zinn.
Exactly...you are spot on

This staff is dialed in to what they want, what they like and a type of kid that fits the culture...that's not saying they don't want highly ranked kids (again I put little weight on rankings)...but they trust what works and they have a great track record...and current roster...

They get what they want

Heck, two years ago they pulled Kamish (Michigan) and James (Ohio) out of non hot bed areas...guess what, both were player of the year in their respective states...they both played immediately as freshman

That's just a couple examples...there are many more

This might be the best staff in lacrosse...
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:53 pm
Thanks. I believe Loyola is recruiting a friends son and I know a few kids that have played there. Just wondering.
Good luck to him. Toomey and his staff are great coaches, mentors, and awesome, stand-up people.
Typical Lax Dad

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:29 am
Good luck to him. Toomey and his staff are great coaches, mentors, and awesome, stand-up people.
Yep. Last talked to him two years ago about one of his former players that is thriving.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:43 am
Yep. Last talked to him two years ago about one of his former players that is thriving.
Most know that going to Loyola means you'll be getting a fantastic Jesuit education. And on the lacrosse side, you're going to win a ton of big games, play the best, and compete for a NC. Every year. Those are the expectations.

But one of the kids I coach is getting looks from Loyola and I was trying to explain to him that playing for Loyola makes you part of something much bigger. Toomey is a teacher on the field and a mentor in other ways. He never loses contact. I played for him many years ago and I still hear from him a couple times a year. As a player, I remember very vividly that he treated everyone in the program like family. The connections were real. And those connections meant there were high expectations and accountability.

The way he runs the program is part of the reason why the alumni network and lax endowment is as good as it is. There is a reason a small, 5,000 student school was able to build a place like Ridley, and field teams like Loyola does. There is generational crossover and buy-in. It's pretty awesome.
bananas

Post by bananas »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:38 am
Most know that going to Loyola means you'll be getting a fantastic Jesuit education. And on the lacrosse side, you're going to win a ton of big games, play the best, and compete for a NC. Every year. Those are the expectations.

But one of the kids I coach is getting looks from Loyola and I was trying to explain to him that playing for Loyola makes you part of something much bigger. Toomey is a teacher on the field and a mentor in other ways. He never loses contact. I played for him many years ago and I still hear from him a couple times a year. As a player, I remember very vividly that he treated everyone in the program like family. The connections were real. And those connections meant there were high expectations and accountability.

The way he runs the program is part of the reason why the alumni network and lax endowment is as good as it is. There is a reason a small, 5,000 student school was able to build a place like Ridley, and field teams like Loyola does. There is generational crossover and buy-in. It's pretty awesome.
This is awesome to read. Knew he was a fantastic coach but this is icing on the cake.
Typical Lax Dad

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:38 am

Yep. Old teammate’s family was big donor to the school. Family name on buildings there.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Lots of good stuff on the Loyola page. Toomey and his staff are awesome and what they are able to do for a small school is impressive.

I'll save my thoughts about recruiting for another day.

A few thoughts building up for the season. Hounds looked very good against Villanova in the first scrimmage. Boys seemed to be able to do anything they wanted. A little drop off in second game against the Hens. Hens played more aggressively and by then Toomey was subbing out a lot. Matt Heuston got a lot of playing time in the second game and even though he made a few mistakes, I think he just wanted to make something happen. He's battled injuries and I hope he's in good shape and ready to play.

Have heard a lot of good things about the Freshman Goalie, Yowan. Seems the other goalies have been a bit dinged up this semester, but nothing serious.

Patriot League. Overheard Saturday that the most desperate team wins the Army - Navy football game. I believe that. I wonder how desperate Army, or Navy, will be when they play Loyola. I know Army will have the date circled for Loyola. They have to. That one goal loss kept them out of the tournament and that just hurts. I've got to think that Loyola played the last half of last season in desperation trying to make the tourney. Will the Hounds bring that same intensity or desperation to the field this season? Sure, all of the pieces are there to have a good season, but the question mark is how well prepared will they be for every game, how healthy they are, and how committed and motivated they are. I hope all of the fans are able to make it back to Ridley.

The Hounds have potential, but as Toomey will say, "potential is just a word for 'having done nothing' yet".
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

3d New England Lacrosse @3dNewEngland·2h
IT’S OFFICIAL Writing hand. Our '22 attackman Luke Murphy is headed to Loyola to play with @LoyolaMLAX.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”