Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
molo

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by molo »

Thanks for redirecting the thread from money to sports. For years I thought I was just stupid when it came to economics, but years in education told me I’m not stupid, just learning disabled when it comes to money.
Glad to hear Petro has dropped 64.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

CTlaxfan1 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:27 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:08 pm I suspect all of the D1 schools "need" alumni donations to augment the lacrosse team budget.

Certainly this is true at the most selective schools despite large endowments, pretty much none of which is prioritized or directed to athletics other than through the general support of all programs. That is, unless there's a specific endowment raised for that sport...so, we're seeing an increasing # of schools' alumni 'friends' programs raise endowed funds for a coaching position or two.

The schools do contribute operational funds for each sport, but there's no way a school can hire a full complement of coaches, travel, etc without alumni fundraising.

And, at many of these most selective schools, we're seeing funds from the school budget be frozen over the past decade or worse, squeezed lower...all of this means that a greater share of the costs gets borne by alumni year over year.

It's not as if the school administrations, at nearly any of these schools, actually cares whether they have the best lacrosse team possible, or, in best case situations, let's just say that would be low on their list of priorities. More of a nice to have, but they'd trade that for all sorts of other academically oriented programs any day.

Hopkins has had a very generous alumni support network, a real advantage historically.
Any idea what annual lacrosse budget of a top 25 D1 school is?
$500-$1.5, most top 25 in the middle $800-$1.1 area
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

10stone5 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:46 pm From the USA Lacrosse article on Petro - Gait,

Pietramala gauges the improvement of the defense in part through their feedback. He looks reinvigorated in grey and orange. He wants to be a head coach again, but he’s in no hurry. He wakes up at 4:30 a.m. every weekday morning to arrive early and oversee the Orange’s 6 a.m. lifts.

He’s lost 64 pounds from when he was at Hopkins,

but says he has a long way to go.
Glad to hear Petro's doing well and I wish him more success, but we read these Petro is back and new and improved story lines every fall starting in 09 ("we have changed our approach to practice") until he was pushed out and 06-08 they struggled in season as well. It's the reality of the high standard of success he achieved as a player, early as a coach and his place in the game. Frankly I think all these stories are good for our guys. There was a time when a Hopkins program coming off the issues we've had for years would've been THE story in the game, but all the noise, pomp and circumstance that Gait's group has made since his hire I think have shifted that north and not made our fellas the focus.

For Hopkins mens lacrosse is worth every dollar and then some. It's putting the university brand and image out (although espn uses the same videos of amr 1/gilman they've used the last 10 years) there in a non academic and medical setting and with the big ten giving the school media exposure outside the north east. The women don't pay for sweatpants-that's through an endorsement deal due to companies wanting access to the men's program and national espn coverage. I don't know what happened to the radio deal. I always liked that.

If you read the media guide there are a ton of scholarships and other things the lacrosse alumni fund not to mention the things that probably aren't included in that fundraising campaign like help finding internships, jobs, networking and the opportunity to read their names discussed on message boards by fading aging ornery alumni.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:08 pm I suspect all of the D1 schools "need" alumni donations to augment the lacrosse team budget.

Certainly this is true at the most selective schools despite large endowments, pretty much none of which is prioritized or directed to athletics other than through the general support of all programs. That is, unless there's a specific endowment raised for that sport...so, we're seeing an increasing # of schools' alumni 'friends' programs raise endowed funds for a coaching position or two.

The schools do contribute operational funds for each sport, but there's no way a school can hire a full complement of coaches, travel, etc without alumni fundraising.

And, at many of these most selective schools, we're seeing funds from the school budget be frozen over the past decade or worse, squeezed lower...all of this means that a greater share of the costs gets borne by alumni year over year.

It's not as if the school administrations, at nearly any of these schools, actually cares whether they have the best lacrosse team possible, or, in best case situations, let's just say that would be low on their list of priorities. More of a nice to have, but they'd trade that for all sorts of other academically oriented programs any day.

Hopkins has had a very generous alumni support network, a real advantage historically.
I haven't seen more than my own alma mater, and sadly, we're not in the top 25. But we (the coaches and alums) do aspire to such, so we've bumped our annual fundraising from under $300k to more than $500k split between the men's and women's programs. It needs to go higher, IMO, but what's really helping is that the women are kicking in much more than in years past. So are the men, but the percentage load is improving. Remember that Title IX comes into play.

We contributed heavily to the capital campaign that built the more than $30 million indoor facility that's now open, and we're in the midst of a coaching chair endowment campaign. But we don't have a single donor akin to Hop's couple of biggest, much less Yale's, so it's taking more time.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:02 pm

I haven't seen more than my own alma mater, and sadly, we're not in the top 25. But we (the coaches and alums) do aspire to such, so we've bumped our annual fundraising from under $300k to more than $500k split between the men's and women's programs. It needs to go higher, IMO, but what's really helping is that the women are kicking in much more than in years past. So are the men, but the percentage load is improving. Remember that Title IX comes into play.

We contributed heavily to the capital campaign that built the more than $30 million indoor facility that's now open, and we're in the midst of a coaching chair endowment campaign. But we don't have a single donor akin to Hop's couple of biggest, much less Yale's, so it's taking more time.
Jeez Dartmouth is pretty cheap. Hobart spends a little north of $500k and our endowment is like two rich alums from Hanover. And we’re D3 in everything else.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:06 pm

Jeez Dartmouth is pretty cheap. Hobart spends a little north of $500k and our endowment is like two rich alums from Hanover. And we’re D3 in everything else.
Just to be clear, the $ #'s I cited are not the budget, that's the annual alumni contribution to the budget. The College does support the program, as I assume is the case for Hobart.

The budget is in the range you describe.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:31 pm

Just to be clear, the $ #'s I cited are not the budget, that's the annual alumni contribution to the budget. The College does support the program, as I assume is the case for Hobart.

Ah mustve misread
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Noticed that Evan Zinn isn't listed on UVa's roster. Anyone know the story?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

primitiveskills wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:03 am Noticed that Evan Zinn isn't listed on UVa's roster. Anyone know the story?
comment from a knowledgeable poster on Sabre in October was "when he joins the team, Zinn will..." so sounds like he wasn't expected to be available or perhaps even on the roster this fall.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Any status updates on Nawreski's knee?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

primitiveskills wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:03 am Noticed that Evan Zinn isn't listed on UVa's roster. Anyone know the story?
he is wrapping up at hop this semester from what i understand.
bananas

Post by bananas »

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... eformation

Your ex lost some serious weight.

Big man, big character. Reminds me some of Bill Parcells , demanding but beloved by many.

Good luck to JHU other than April 3rd.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:55 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:31 pm

Ah mustve misread
Following up on this, today's emails included news on Dartmouth's recent fundraising push for it's 35 D1 teams.https://dartmouthsports.com/news/2021/1 ... 11209.aspx

I found it interesting that last year, over the course of the year, alums contributed $6.2 million towards annual operational costs. That's an average of $177,000 per team. Football is by a good margin the largest portion, as there are so many alums participating.

Lacrosse alums are one the stronger supporting groups, at a little over an average of $250,000 per team. We're working towards getting that to $300k per team and have some good momentum that direction. The women's contribution had been lower on average, despite a very strong, winning program, simply not enough alums old enough to be heavy contributors until more recently, then a depression in giving over the trauma of the firing of a very long time coach and many alums upset about it....that appears to be healed and the women have kicked in more and more. Likewise, there'd been quite a lot of dissatisfaction with the prior regime on the men's side, some trepidation about whether we were on the right course, but that too appears to have resolved to a very positive attitude and recognition that it's critical to have a full coaching staff, paid decently, and with other necessary operational support.

I don't know what ups and downs have occurred with Hopkins' lax fundraising though I do know that some of the largest donors weren't happy about Dave's dismissal and the process; on the other hand, there were certainly plenty of gripes from alums about the course over the last decade. Certainly historically Hopkins has enjoyed very significant alumni support, arguably best in the nation if I'm not mistaken. Does anyone know what kind of revenue, tickets, tv etc Hopkins might enjoy? Certainly few other programs are likely to have as much on that end too.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

zinn was a stellar student so it can't be related to that.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:36 pm
I don't know what ups and downs have occurred with Hopkins' lax fundraising though I do know that some of the largest donors weren't happy about Dave's dismissal and the process; on the other hand, there were certainly plenty of gripes from alums about the course over the last decade. Certainly historically Hopkins has enjoyed very significant alumni support, arguably best in the nation if I'm not mistaken. Does anyone know what kind of revenue, tickets, tv etc Hopkins might enjoy? Certainly few other programs are likely to have as much on that end too.
You gotta support your team.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:19 pm zinn was a stellar student so it can't be related to that.
Sounds like he's entering the McIntire business program next semester.
Someone mentioned he's still at Hopkins taking courses...perhaps, but that needn't mean an issue.
It's also quite possible that he intends to spread out McIntire over two years, getting some internships etc in between semesters.
If I'm not mistake, it was reported that he had 2 years of eligibility.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:22 pm
jhu06 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:19 pm zinn was a stellar student so it can't be related to that.
Someone mentioned he's still at Hopkins taking courses...perhaps, but that needn't mean an issue.
It's also quite possible that he intends to spread out McIntire over two years, getting some internships etc in between semesters.
I hope he enjoys his final college days. I also hope he figures out shot placement. He got free for a lot of good takes and buried very few of them.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:22 pm
He’s going to do well at UVA.
“I wish you would!”
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

bananas wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:37 am https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... eformation

Big man, big character. Reminds me some of Bill Parcells , demanding but beloved by many.

Petro is looking healthy. Great to see. I forget who the poster was that was obsessed with the staff weight but I’m sure they will be over the moon with joy.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

flalax22 wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:37 am
bananas wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:37 am https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... eformation

Petro is looking healthy. Great to see. I forget who the poster was that was obsessed with the staff weight but I’m sure they will be over the moon with joy.
may have been a Syracuse fan, trolling?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”