Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DocBarrister

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by DocBarrister »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:33 am It's a tough schedule to be sure - particularly with Georgetown playing well last year and with some very highly regarded players BUT it's essentially the same schedule Petro had in 18 and 19 for example. Swap out Princeton for Georgetown - which could be an upgrade/downgrade or even swap depending upon the year - and Navy gets back in instead of MSM or UMBC. So given the outlook for G'town is high and Navy is usually a tougher out than the Saints/Retrievers it's tougher but it's not significantly different - especially since Hop/Navy has been such a tradition.
It’s possibly the toughest schedule in college lacrosse. Shouldn’t that always be the default for Johns Hopkins?

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

My guess is that trading Princeton for Georgetown and MSM/UMBC for a decent Jacksonville squad will prove to be nontrivial upgrades to the SOS. If there were ever a year to not have Princeton on the schedule it's probably in 2022 in their first year back (without Sowers) from the Covid Ivy pause so one would think they need a season or two to round back into form. Maybe not, who really knows how the Ivies will respond and they've got talent like Baughan on defense and that Slusher kid at attack but one would think they will not be as successful as Georgetown next season. Jacksonville meanwhile is not really a cupcake in the traditional sense—7-7 last year—though we will obviously be expected to win that one.

Basically every other game is going to be a battle. Towson is up and down as a team but I don't think anyone needs reminders about our recent record at Unitas. Delaware has been pesky before and now they're probably going to be the best version of them we've faced in a long time. Long story short: Zero breathers. To me it shows Milliman has a certain level of confidence in this team. Following a 4-9 year, even though they showed promise toward the end, they could have lightened the load to some extent. Instead they did the opposite.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:30 am Georgetown has a good FOGO, probably the best one we'll see until the Virginia game. So if Narewski is out or limited in the first month of the season it could spell disaster at the dot for that game especially on a Sunday coming off a Friday game. FO depth will likely be tested quickly.
get it to x wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:15 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:05 pm
jhu06 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:07 pm Most to least winnable as it stands today
michigan delaware towson penn state navy ohio state rutgers georgetown syracuse north carolina uva loyola maryland
I like this. I see 6 Ws which could easily be 9, 10, or 11. Gun to my head, I like HopFan's 8-6.
I see 8-6 as the floor. It's hard to predict the ceiling but I don't think 10 is unrealistic, if they move the ball and get some goaltending. Sorry they aren't playing an Ivy. Maybe postseason. ;)
I hope you're right but this is the kind of comment that has the potential to look very silly come April. There is simply no way 8 wins is the *floor* in a schedule as relentless as this one.
As does this one. Predicting this early is silly. I'm betting on the team from my view of the last several real games, a more agile Epstein and your highlight reels. Could I look dumb? Wouldn't be the first time.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

get it to x wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:49 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:30 am Georgetown has a good FOGO, probably the best one we'll see until the Virginia game. So if Narewski is out or limited in the first month of the season it could spell disaster at the dot for that game especially on a Sunday coming off a Friday game. FO depth will likely be tested quickly.
michigan delaware towson penn state navy ohio state rutgers georgetown syracuse north carolina uva loyola maryland
I like this. I see 6 Ws which could easily be 9, 10, or 11. Gun to my head, I like HopFan's 8-6.
I see 8-6 as the floor. It's hard to predict the ceiling but I don't think 10 is unrealistic, if they move the ball and get some goaltending. Sorry they aren't playing an Ivy. Maybe postseason. ;)
I hope you're right but this is the kind of comment that has the potential to look very silly come April. There is simply no way 8 wins is the *floor* in a schedule as relentless as this one.
As does this one. Predicting this early is silly. I'm betting on the team from my view of the last several real games, a more agile Epstein and your highlight reels. Could I look dumb? Wouldn't be the first time.
Any preseason prediction is silly. However, so is posting on a message board called “Fanlax” using avatar names like “DocBarrister”, “get it to x”, “jhu06”, “Matnum PI”, and “HopFan16”. A century ago, we would all be drinking moonshine liquor and playing baseball with our neighbors and fellow exploited manufacturing workers, because there would have been nothing else to do.

So, count us lucky, I guess.

DocBarrister :P
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Very likely reading way too much into this but for those starving for any morsel of info, it looks like Charboneau was playing some attack with DeSo, Epstein, and the other offensive starters in a recent practice. May mean absolutely nothing. Or maybe it does. Who knows.

https://twitter.com/jhumenslacrosse/sta ... 7166640130

Narewski has ditched the crutches at least.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:10 pm Very likely reading way too much into this but for those starving for any morsel of info, it looks like Charboneau was playing some attack with DeSo, Epstein, and the other offensive starters in a recent practice. May mean absolutely nothing. Or maybe it does. Who knows.

They can go 0-16 next spring (they won't) but if we get black instead of light blue numbers on the white jerseys it's a win. Can't read those at all.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:11 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:10 pm Very likely reading way too much into this but for those starving for any morsel of info, it looks like Charboneau was playing some attack with DeSo, Epstein, and the other offensive starters in a recent practice. May mean absolutely nothing. Or maybe it does. Who knows.

They can go 0-16 next spring (they won't) but if we get black instead of light blue numbers on the white jerseys it's a win. Can't read those at all.
Nobody cares :roll:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Drcthru wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:35 pm
jhu06 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:11 pm

Nobody cares :roll:
Especially the early games when it's snowing and the elements abound. Not easy ones to see numbers.

DB your old friend laxfi used to message me about the days when the only way to watch the games was on vhs tapes you guys mailed to each other. He would've been perfectly fine w/message boards if it meant expanded coverage.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:24 pm
get it to x wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:49 pm
Any preseason prediction is silly. However, so is posting on a message board called “Fanlax” using avatar names like “DocBarrister”, “get it to x”, “jhu06”, “Matnum PI”, and “HopFan16”. A century ago, we would all be drinking moonshine liquor and playing baseball with our neighbors and fellow exploited manufacturing workers, because there would have been nothing else to do.

So, count us lucky, I guess.

DocBarrister :P
You had me until you included the guy who riffs this all time great character

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LBIgXhiOpeQ
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Maybe the SU game will draw a crowd next year.
Cuse fans will be shocked to see how bad their defense is this season.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:31 am Maybe the SU game will draw a crowd next year.
Will they? They literally had one of the worst defenses in the country last season. 61st in efficiency (out of 67). That's far more likely to improve than get worse. At any rate I doubt that anyone is going to be shocked if it's not very good.

I'm more concerned with how our own defense will fare against three ACC teams, Georgetown, Delaware, and Loyola in addition to the usual suspects from the Big Ten — namely Maryland and Rutgers. We face 8 teams that were in the top 20 in offensive efficiency last year and 6 that were in the top 10 including the #1, #2, #3, and #5 teams.

The D showed signs of life late last year but with Reinson and Delaney (probably) gone and uncertainty in goal, we're not exactly in a place to be calling out other teams' defensive play. I think there's reason for some optimism on that side of the ball given what they showed toward the end of the year + Fernandez's return + some hope at the SSDM spot for what feels like the first time in a decade + Koesterer's impact etc. but it's not like we're Maryland/Georgetown/Loyola and can pretty much bank on it being a top unit.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:00 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:31 am Maybe the SU game will draw a crowd next year.
Will they? They literally had one of the worst defenses in the country last season. 61st in efficiency (out of 67). That's far more likely to improve than get worse. At any rate I doubt that anyone is going to be shocked if it's not very good.

I'm more concerned with how our own defense will fare against three ACC teams, Georgetown, Delaware, and Loyola in addition to the usual suspects from the Big Ten — namely Maryland and Rutgers. We face 8 teams that were in the top 20 in offensive efficiency last year and 6 that were in the top 10 including the #1, #2, #3, and #5 teams.

The D showed signs of life late last year but with Reinson and Delaney (probably) gone and uncertainty in goal, we're not exactly in a place to be calling out other teams' defensive play. I think there's reason for some optimism on that side of the ball given what they showed toward the end of the year + Fernandez's return + some hope at the SSDM spot for what feels like the first time in a decade + Koesterer's impact etc. but it's not like we're Maryland/Georgetown/Loyola and can pretty much bank on it being a top unit.
If the Syracuse defense is bad, we'll probably think "yep, the defense was bad last year and Petro's recent defenses at JHU weren't great, so it makes sense."
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I hope you guys are not confusing any real informed opinion of the Syracuse defense vs. a not so thinly veiled petulant shot at Petro. I have zero clue as to the potential for the Syracuse defense - that's for the Syracuse guys - but here's what I think I know:
- The current defensive coordinator at Syracuse knows what he's talking about - while QK may use his "passive" adjective or others might think the defenses can be too complicated etc. no one ever said Petro was a clown who survived on his reputation as a player
- His defenses were once statistictally among the best in the land and he did go to 8 Final Fours
- He no longer has the head coaching responsibilities
- Recruiting 8th graders and high school freshmen is pretty much off the table

I think ohmi or someone brought up 2022 Hopkins lacrosse bingo - I want dibs on the following squares for Sag:
- If Hopkins loses to Towson I want the square that says we should have hired Nadelen - if Hopkins wins I want either the "crickets" square or Towson didn't have a future HOFer to warm up the goalie
- The response if Hopkins defeats Syracuse is easy - Petro Sucks - working on what will be said if the Orange win
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

ohmilax34 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:00 am
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:00 am

If the Syracuse defense is bad, we'll probably think "yep, the defense was bad last year and Petro's recent defenses at JHU weren't great, so it makes sense."
Hey there's no question in my mind that Petro can take a bad defense and make it worse.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

The change of scenery will probably be good for Petro. It'll save him from certain tendencies that may have contributed to poor play. He doesn't have to run a program and can just focus on developing players — something that was generally lacking at Homewood in his latter years. I also find it hard to believe that their personnel issues at critical positions (goalie and SSDM) will be as pronounced as ours were during that period. So I wouldn't be surprised if their defense does improve over the next few years. Again, it would be hard not to, considering where they left off in 2021. That said, if they do improve, it doesn't mean that it was a mistake for us to move on from him either. Both can be true at the same time — that each party ultimately needed a fresh start.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

The program is doing some fundraising and many of the names who have pitched in are public. Some pretty big names supporting this latest round:

Morrill, Haugen, Gagliardi, Ranagan, Kumin, Bocklet, LeSueur, Raymond, Watson, Denihan, Stanwick, Federico, and lots more.

https://www.givecampus.com/schools/John ... -challenge
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:40 pm The change of scenery will probably be good for Petro. It'll save him from certain tendencies that may have contributed to poor play. He doesn't have to run a program and can just focus on developing players — something that was generally lacking at Homewood in his latter years. I also find it hard to believe that their personnel issues at critical positions (goalie and SSDM) will be as pronounced as ours were during that period. So I wouldn't be surprised if their defense does improve over the next few years. Again, it would be hard not to, considering where they left off in 2021. That said, if they do improve, it doesn't mean that it was a mistake for us to move on from him either. Both can be true at the same time — that each party ultimately needed a fresh start.
I agree. Adding Gary Gait to the equation is exciting for us Syracuse fans. We're really interested to see what the team will look like with him as the leader. Petro always looked like he was having a heart attack or stomach issues on the sidelines at Homewood. I have to imagine that having Gary Gait lead the program will allow Petro to be a little more relaxed, which should help the players.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

ohmilax34 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:25 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:40 pm The change of scenery will probably be good for Petro. It'll save him from certain tendencies that may have contributed to poor play. He doesn't have to run a program and can just focus on developing players — something that was generally lacking at Homewood in his latter years. I also find it hard to believe that their personnel issues at critical positions (goalie and SSDM) will be as pronounced as ours were during that period. So I wouldn't be surprised if their defense does improve over the next few years. Again, it would be hard not to, considering where they left off in 2021. That said, if they do improve, it doesn't mean that it was a mistake for us to move on from him either. Both can be true at the same time — that each party ultimately needed a fresh start.
I agree. Adding Gary Gait to the equation is exciting for us Syracuse fans. We're really interested to see what the team will look like with him as the leader. Petro always looked like he was having a heart attack or stomach issues on the sidelines at Homewood. I have to imagine that having Gary Gait lead the program will allow Petro to be a little more relaxed, which should help the players.
I see Gait as a huge positive for the SU program. Petro not so much. I'm not even sure the players wanted to play for him at the end. There was a reason no one was reaching out to him for a new HC position despite the fact he was a good recruiter.
Gait would have to oversee DP and micromanage him for SU to have success on the defensive side of the ball.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Lololol. Comedy cevtral
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Team tweeted out pictures of the signing of the latest recruit from Team Impact - so much more important than whatever Petro is doing with Syracuse
Awesome job Jays

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”