Bourbon

General Chatter
kramerica.inc

Re: Bourbon

Post by kramerica.inc »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:09 pm
ggait wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:15 pm
I almost exclusively use Rittenhouse BIB 100 Proof Rye for cocktails. It cuts through almost anything, so you still know you're drinking American whiskey. Tonight is Faux Friday. I am having a Black Manhattan. Substituting Ramazotti Amaro for Sweet Vermouth and adding Fee Bros. Orange Bitters in addition to Angostura. Over a big cube. Wife is driving us to dinner.
I really like the Red Hook variation on a Manhattan -- rye, Punt e Mes, marischino liquer (Leopold's is excellent).

Price and availability of Rittenhouse is not as good as a few years ago. Even though a bourbon, I think WT 101 is a fine rye substitute for Rittenhouse in a Manhattan, Red Hook, Brooklyn, etc.
I’ll have to try the Red Hook. Ever had a Reverse Manhattan?

I make a Tom Ford, which is 2oz rye, 1oz of Carpano Antica, lux cherry, and orange bitters, with an orange peel swipe on the rim and twist garnished.
Youth, If we can cobble together a fanlax tailgate this spring, I'll make you one of these. Delish. I actually skip the extra dose of bitters because the Braulio hits those notes. But the orange and lemon peel are a must. Good twist on an old fashioned.

https://www.foodrepublic.com/recipes/a- ... il-recipe/
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

I almost exclusively use Rittenhouse BIB 100 Proof Rye for cocktails. It cuts through almost anything, so you still know you're drinking American whiskey. Tonight is Faux Friday. I am having a Black Manhattan. Substituting Ramazotti Amaro for Sweet Vermouth and adding Fee Bros. Orange Bitters in addition to Angostura. Over a big cube. Wife is driving us to dinner.
I really like the Red Hook variation on a Manhattan -- rye, Punt e Mes, marischino liquer (Leopold's is excellent).

Price and availability of Rittenhouse is not as good as a few years ago. Even though a bourbon, I think WT 101 is a fine rye substitute for Rittenhouse in a Manhattan, Red Hook, Brooklyn, etc.

I make a Tom Ford, which is 2oz rye, 1oz of Carpano Antica, lux cherry, and orange bitters, with an orange peel swipe on the rim and twist garnished.
Is it a Luxardo cherry or the liqueur? If it's the liqueur, how much? BTW, I grabbed some Carpano Antico (Dolin is my usual) and it is great in a Manhattan. Also bought my first wheated bourbon, Luling Station from Memphis. 83% wheat, 12% corn, 5% malted barley. Very soft, probably good for the bourbon novice, like me.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

get it to x wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:05 pm

Is it a Luxardo cherry or the liqueur? If it's the liqueur, how much? BTW, I grabbed some Carpano Antico (Dolin is my usual) and it is great in a Manhattan. Also bought my first wheated bourbon, Luling Station from Memphis. 83% wheat, 12% corn, 5% malted barley. Very soft, probably good for the bourbon novice, like me.
Just the cherry.

Never seen or heard of Huling Station. My go to for wheated is OGD114. Its under $30 and sits on most shelves You can dress it up or sip neat with a splash of water to knock the proof down and it opens up a bit more.

Enjoy!
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
bmorelax

Post by bmorelax »

Post by a fan » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:06 pm

bmorelax wrote: ↑Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:19 am
I spent my career in the beverage alcohol business including many years with Buffalo Trace's parent company, Sazerac.
While it's great that many people have discovered bourbon, it's a shame that many are hoarding and hoping to resell on the secondary market.
The same people who are responsible for the boom, are the same people who are both hoarding and buying/selling on the secondary. They did this to themselves.
bmorelax wrote: ↑Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:19 am
I picked up a 1.75 of Benchmark bourbon for my son's graduation party this summer for $19.99, and enjoyed it all summer long.
You don't need to spend a lot to find decent bourbon.
Couldn't agree more.

If you don't mind me asking.....what did you do at Sazerac? Have you retired from the biz? Or moved on to another business sector?

a fan,
I was in sales at Sazerac. I was a Div Mgr covering different states at various times including Eastern Canada for a while. I was watching a brand Sazerac owned that was doing a little business in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. That brand was Fireball.
I retired early but stay informed. Let me know if you need any help in the East.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Mike Rowe celebratory Whiskey....quick story here: https://www.instagram.com/p/CXEXI2Mpqe6 ... =copy_link
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:39 pm
Interesting post on a blog I recently read. The argument is that Jack Daniels is indeed Bourbon by definition, but calls itself Tennessee Whiskey. Any thoughts?

Also found this in a discussion with someone on a Facebook thread: https://www.thedailybeast.com/is-tennes ... VgXvt-9TcY
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:26 am
Interesting post on a blog I recently read. The argument is that Jack Daniels is indeed Bourbon by definition, but calls itself Tennessee Whiskey. Any thoughts?

Also found this in a discussion with someone on a Facebook thread: https://www.thedailybeast.com/is-tennes ... VgXvt-9TcY
Oh, I agree with Nicole! It's Bourbon.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

a fan wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:08 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:26 am

Oh, I agree with Nicole! It's Bourbon.
Agree. Even though they assiduously eschew the title. The filtering through maple charcoal is a different way to finish it but it's still Bourbon.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

My European relatives would visit us occasionally and would only take home two American products: Levi's button-fly jeans and Jack Daniel’s Old No.7.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Jack Daniels single barrel is good. Not my personal favorite. But perhaps someone else's. I always thought their bottles were kind of uncomplicated and straight forward. A little too smooth if that makes sense? It's like there are some flavors missing. Not sure if that's the charcoal filtering or what. Not sure where that happens in the process. Same with Gentleman Jack. If you want an extremely smooth, almost unobtrusive "bourbon" mixer- Gentleman is your guy. Sure you could sip it too, but isn't exploring and figuring out the flavors half the fun?
:D
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:34 pm Jack Daniels single barrel is good. Not my personal favorite. But perhaps someone else's. I always thought their bottles were kind of uncomplicated and straight forward. A little too smooth if that makes sense? It's like there are some flavors missing. Not sure if that's the charcoal filtering or what. Not sure where that happens in the process. Same with Gentleman Jack. If you want an extremely smooth, almost unobtrusive "bourbon" mixer- Gentleman is your guy. Sure you could sip it too, but isn't exploring and figuring out the flavors half the fun?
Have you had JD's Single Barrel Barrel Proof....sheesh, comin' in hot around 140 proof. Damned tasty by a warm fire on a cold night. Profile is not too bad and even with that heat you still get some of the traditional bourbon notes.
~Livy
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

Kismet wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:40 am
get it to x wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:40 pm
get it to x wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:32 pm I almost exclusively use Rittenhouse BIB 100 Proof Rye for cocktails. It cuts through almost anything, so you still know you're drinking American whiskey. Tonight is Faux Friday. I am having a Black Manhattan. Substituting Ramazotti Amaro for Sweet Vermouth and adding Fee Bros. Orange Bitters in addition to Angostura.
It's been fun watching Americans over the past few years figuring out how good Amaros are..... We did America's first (our Three Pins) Amaro since Prohibition, as well as the first Fernet. Now there are dozens of American made Amaros out there. Nice to see, because they're really fun to make.
I think my next Amaro purchase will either be Cynar, or Averna, from Sicily. And yes FFG, she drove us home.
You cannot beat Averna. My Sicilian grandfather had one every night with his espresso. For some reason, he later switched to anisette in the coffee. Leopold Three Pins is also excellent.

BTW for a fan, Columbia SC was home for one of your greatest fans - the late/great Lax Fidelis.
I finally picked up some Averna. Aside from making a superior Black Manhattan, my wife, a total Pinot Noir girl, is drinking it neat a millimeter at a time in a rocks glass, and she is raving about it.
a fan

Post by a fan »

get it to x wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:14 pm
Kismet wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:40 am
get it to x wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:40 pm
get it to x wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:32 pm I almost exclusively use Rittenhouse BIB 100 Proof Rye for cocktails. It cuts through almost anything, so you still know you're drinking American whiskey. Tonight is Faux Friday. I am having a Black Manhattan. Substituting Ramazotti Amaro for Sweet Vermouth and adding Fee Bros. Orange Bitters in addition to Angostura.
It's been fun watching Americans over the past few years figuring out how good Amaros are..... We did America's first (our Three Pins) Amaro since Prohibition, as well as the first Fernet. Now there are dozens of American made Amaros out there. Nice to see, because they're really fun to make.
I think my next Amaro purchase will either be Cynar, or Averna, from Sicily. And yes FFG, she drove us home.
You cannot beat Averna. My Sicilian grandfather had one every night with his espresso. For some reason, he later switched to anisette in the coffee. Leopold Three Pins is also excellent.

BTW for a fan, Columbia SC was home for one of your greatest fans - the late/great Lax Fidelis.
I finally picked up some Averna. Aside from making a superior Black Manhattan, my wife, a total Pinot Noir girl, is drinking it neat a millimeter at a time in a rocks glass, and she is raving about it.
You keep calling yourself a novice.....I don't know any novices drinking Black Manhattans. You have yourself sorted just fine. Cheers
a fan

Post by a fan »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:34 pm Jack Daniels single barrel is good. Not my personal favorite. But perhaps someone else's. I always thought their bottles were kind of uncomplicated and straight forward. A little too smooth if that makes sense? It's like there are some flavors missing. Not sure if that's the charcoal filtering or what. Not sure where that happens in the process. Same with Gentleman Jack. If you want an extremely smooth, almost unobtrusive "bourbon" mixer- Gentleman is your guy. Sure you could sip it too, but isn't exploring and figuring out the flavors half the fun?
One of my favorite whiskey writers claims if you think the goal of Bourbon/Rye is "smooth", you're searching in the wrong cave. :lol:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Had some beers at a conference this past week but first real drink I've had in 4-5mo...

Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
a fan

Post by a fan »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:19 am Had some beers at a conference this past week but first real drink I've had in 4-5mo...

Hope you enjoyed it! It's unlike any other Rye out there....

Where is this?
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

a fan wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:26 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:19 am Had some beers at a conference this past week but first real drink I've had in 4-5mo...

Where is this?
You may have said before, but what are the grain percentages? The color is spectacular.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Where is this?
Place called Warhorse - sort of private club type restaraunt. Had this then threw down a Weller bourbon with brunch yesterday.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

get it to x wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:45 pm

Where is this?
You may have said before, but what are the grain percentages? The color is spectacular.
https://www.atlantaeats.com/blog/atlant ... eakeasies/
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:09 pm

Where is this?
Place called Warhorse - sort of private club type restaraunt. Had this then threw down a Weller bourbon with brunch yesterday.
Sounds like you had a great working brunch...either that or it went horribly and you wanted to at least enjoy some find spirits; hopefully the former.
~Livy

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”