18 Navy - W
20 @ Delaware - W
26 Michigan (2 pm) - W
Apr. 3 @ Rutgers - L
9/10 @ Ohio State - W
16 Penn State - L
23 Maryland -L

7-7
Why so negative ? Predict Jays lose to Hoyas partly due to playing them two days after facing Towson. Hopkins be favored at home over both Syracuse and PSU and they are going to upset at least one of Loyola, NC, UVA. Im putting them down for 9-5 and hoping that Jays and RU can give Terps a real run for the money.
flalax22

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by flalax22 »

bananas wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:42 pm
flalax22 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:19 pm Prediction

Feb. 5 Jacksonville - W
11 @ Towson - W
13 @ Georgetown - W
19 Loyola (2 pm) - L
26 @ North Carolina - L
Mar. 5 @ Virginia - L
12 Syracuse - L
18 Navy - W
20 @ Delaware - W
26 Michigan (2 pm) - W
Apr. 3 @ Rutgers - L
9/10 @ Ohio State - W
16 Penn State - L
23 Maryland -L

7-7
Why so negative ? Predict Jays lose to Hoyas partly due to playing them two days after facing Towson. Hopkins be favored at home over both Syracuse and PSU and they are going to upset at least one of Loyola, NC, UVA. Im putting them down for 9-5 and hoping that Jays and RU can give Terps a real run for the money.
7-7 is negative?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

flalax22 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:56 pm 7-7 is negative?
For Siena, Lafayette, and VMI, no. For Hopkins, yes.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Fantastic schedule and congrats to the coaches to get it all squared away. Would be nice to get princeton in there, but that's life.

-colorado trip should be good for more bonding and I would imagine the conditions won't be great
-the program has moved on from petro but the cuse mafia in the media will not let it. These broadcasts are going to spend a lot of time talking about whatever cuse is doing.
-You can't look at the Cuse game and not wonder what the effect will be on the uva and navy matchups. This is a veteran loaded group that's been through all sorts of adversity but you have to wonder if they'll be looking ahead the week we travel to charlottesvile and what kind of emotional drain the cuse game will take leading into a week against navy who is always juiced to play us. For weeks every syracuse/baltimore/dc tv/radio/newspaper/blog/tik tocker sports and lax writer is going to want to shove a zoom in epsteins face and say how does it feel to play against the guy that recruited you for the school that fired him. And oh by the way here's the 23432 gripes people have leveled against your program the last 15 years.
-I don't know what our recent road records at cuse, loyola and maryland are but those as home games would seem to help. Hostile environments.
-If you're a recruit this schedule is a real selling point. The acc/ivy can sell those in conference games, but then there are the cleveland state and umass lowell and colgate matchups which don't have the same zing.
-epstein not in the graphic a bit of a surprise
-if we get off to a slow start the loyola cuse navy and terp games could feel like real road contests which won't help. They know how to get to homewood and make noise.
-Going to be a lot of pressure on the administration not to screw with the schedule if omnicron becomes a thing
-As I said the earlier the administration needs to throw the athletic department some change to gussy up these game environments and engage the students alumni parents and community and get people out and doing things with the university other than listening to corona updates. I want to see Daniels and Baker in the stands at the Jacksonville game in the fourth quarter w/parents.
-I'm expecting some sort of Schnydman patch on the helmets or jerseys.
-40 percent of the school is international and most of it probably has no idea about the game. Biden campaigns. Willie Don Schafer campaigns. Grant jr can. Only takes one whacked out fan to ruin a terp goalies psyche and get us a bid or home seed.

Most to least winnable as it stands today
michigan delaware towson penn state navy ohio state rutgers georgetown syracuse north carolina uva loyola maryland
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:07 pm I want to see Daniels and Baker in the stands at the Jacksonville game in the fourth quarter w/parents.
This elicited an audible laugh from me. Positively deranged.
bananas wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:22 pm Tough schedule as usual but why schedule a good Georgetown team two days after playing an improved Towson squad ? That be tough sledding . Even young legs get tired . Wish Jays have given away that advantage to Knights.
Where else do you put the Georgetown game? You could certainly make the argument that they don't need that game at all, that 13 games against this schedule is plenty tough already. But once they decided to play it, it had to go somewhere. There are really no ideal options.

One thing I noticed is that Milliman seems to prefer playing Friday-Sunday games instead of having midweek games on Tuesday or Wednesday. After all that talk, there are no midweek games on the schedule, but there are two Fridays and three Sundays. Duke has done that a lot in the past I think.

Not going to predict specific wins and losses but with this schedule I wouldn't be completely shocked with anything between 4-10 and 10-4. Gun to my head I'd probably split the difference and say 8-6.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:07 pm Most to least winnable as it stands today
michigan delaware towson penn state navy ohio state rutgers georgetown syracuse north carolina uva loyola maryland
I like this. I see 6 Ws which could easily be 9, 10, or 11. Gun to my head, I like HopFan's 8-6.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:05 pm
I like this. I see 6 Ws which could easily be 9, 10, or 11. Gun to my head, I like HopFan's 8-6.
I see 8-6 as the floor. It's hard to predict the ceiling but I don't think 10 is unrealistic, if they move the ball and get some goaltending. Sorry they aren't playing an Ivy. Maybe postseason. ;)
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

bananas wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:22 pm Tough schedule as usual but why schedule a good Georgetown team two days after playing an improved Towson squad ? That be tough sledding . Even young legs get tired . Wish Jays have given away that advantage to Knights.
On the other hand, Hopkins will be playing its 3rd game vs a Georgetown squad playing its opener.
Sidelinehorn!

Post by Sidelinehorn! »

Kirson would lead them to 10 wins....I don't think last year was a good representation of his ability...tough to play hurt...Hope he gets the starting nod.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

conf tournament at turtle u saves some travel.

what's not on the schedule is something they make a big deal out of in the nhl/nba/nfl which is for example teams playing us after playing a midweek game or vice versa.

IL has a predictably weak writeup on it.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Hoponboard wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:01 pm
On the other hand, Hopkins will be playing its 3rd game vs a Georgetown squad playing its opener.
kids don't get tired playing 2 games several days apart.
looks like 6-8 to 8-6. so 7-7.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:58 pm
flalax22 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:56 pm 7-7 is negative?
For Siena, Lafayette, and VMI, no. For Hopkins, yes.
Has anyone here watched this team the last few years?
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Sidelinehorn! wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:19 pm Kirson would lead them to 10 wins....I don't think last year was a good representation of his ability...tough to play hurt...Hope he gets the starting nod.
From the reports coming out of the fall he has a long way to climb the depth chart. Everything I’ve heard he’s 4 of 4
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

predicting wins and losses at this point is folly IMO - Rutgers is maybe the best example. You have no idea what that team will look like or perform on the field - their transfers could hit it out of the park or they could struggle to score given what they lost. In addition, last season was such an aberration that it makes projecting Hopkins more difficult. If they play like they did in the last 4 games on a fairly consistent basis they will likely be above alot of these Mendoza lines. In no way am I trying to say Milliman/Hopkins gets to pick all the dates but I am mildly surprised at the double 2 games in 3 days especially with the 3 of those 4 games being away from Homewood. Use all the cliches you want - '06 can channel his favorite NFL coach but in a couple months time it will be time to focus on Jacksonville and go 1-0 that week.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Georgetown has a good FOGO, probably the best one we'll see until the Virginia game. So if Narewski is out or limited in the first month of the season it could spell disaster at the dot for that game especially on a Sunday coming off a Friday game. FO depth will likely be tested quickly.
get it to x wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:15 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:05 pm
I see 8-6 as the floor. It's hard to predict the ceiling but I don't think 10 is unrealistic, if they move the ball and get some goaltending. Sorry they aren't playing an Ivy. Maybe postseason. ;)
I hope you're right but this is the kind of comment that has the potential to look very silly come April. There is simply no way 8 wins is the *floor* in a schedule as relentless as this one.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

The NCAA playoff format calls for 2 games in three days. Prep
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Love the schedule. It conveys a few things, all of which are good. One, it is a welcome chnage from the tone of the previous staff towards the end, where they were essentially saying that we were never going to be good enough to get into the playoffs on an at-large basis. This sends a message that the new staff is confident we'll get to that level again; maybe not this year, but eventually. Two, this will be great for recruiting. The most competitive kids want to play the best teams. Three, it shows that the administration is committed to Milliman. There's no way he draws up this schedule if he thinks he is fighting for his job on a year-to-year basis.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

primitiveskills wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:17 am Love the schedule. It conveys a few things, all of which are good. One, it is a welcome chnage from the tone of the previous staff towards the end, where they were essentially saying that we were never going to be good enough to get into the playoffs on an at-large basis. This sends a message that the new staff is confident we'll get to that level again; maybe not this year, but eventually. Two, this will be great for recruiting. The most competitive kids want to play the best teams. Three, it shows that the administration is committed to Milliman. There's no way he draws up this schedule if he thinks he is fighting for his job on a year-to-year basis.
All of this!
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

It's a tough schedule to be sure - particularly with Georgetown playing well last year and with some very highly regarded players BUT it's essentially the same schedule Petro had in 18 and 19 for example. Swap out Princeton for Georgetown - which could be an upgrade/downgrade or even swap depending upon the year - and Navy gets back in instead of MSM or UMBC. So given the outlook for G'town is high and Navy is usually a tougher out than the Saints/Retrievers it's tougher but it's not significantly different - especially since Hop/Navy has been such a tradition.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”