Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:05 am Hopkins students and their attendance is an interesting question - especially if Hopkins performance and results improve this season. Sophomore students have very likely not seen a game and Juniors had a couple opportunities in February and March of 2020 and given the 2,000 reported attendance at both the UNC and Syracuse games that year - most did not avail themselves of the opportunity. Does that contribute to the decline in interest or does absence make the heart grow fonder? Weather/technology/etc. will likely continue to produce their adverse effects.
We say it every year but if the team is good and the weather is tolerable, students will come. That's pretty much the story at every school isn't it? Lacrosse is not football: Unless you're Loyola, which seems to draw a drunken student crowd no matter the weather, there needs to be a very specific set of conditions met in order for kids to show up to a lacrosse game. Hell, at some schools, students don't really go to lax games even when the teams are good and the weather is ideal (UNC and Duke come to mind).

Hopkins for its part is making an effort to increase student engagement in all athletics—they started an Instagram page for the student section called "The Flock" this fall and it seems to be doing well, already has more than 1,000 followers.

In 2019, the last full season with no attendance restrictions, Hopkins finished third in the country in average home attendance behind only Syracuse and Maryland. And that was for a team that frankly was not very good until the two wins over Maryland at the end of the year (neither of which occurred at Homewood). It'd be nice to get more students to games for sure but I can think of several other big programs that should be much more concerned about attendance than we. Here was the top 20 in avg. attendance that year: https://i.imgur.com/aeTQtWc.png
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

You are absolutely correct - this is well worn ground. I have the old man perspective of no cell phones, computers, streaming etc. where everybody went to the games and it had to be either pouring buckets of rain or freezing to keep most away. I hope the DOLO is spending time thinking about student attendance - I think the players and the students would benefit.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

grimes on final 23 for u21 squad
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:52 pm grimes on final 23 for u21 squad
Big year incoming if he stays healthy
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:26 am You are absolutely correct - this is well worn ground. I have the old man perspective of no cell phones, computers, streaming etc. where everybody went to the games and it had to be either pouring buckets of rain or freezing to keep most away. I hope the DOLO is spending time thinking about student attendance - I think the players and the students would benefit.
I’m pretty certain that has nothing to do with the DOLOs job responsibilities
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

So I picked the DOLO as more of an example but one of his primary responsibilities is "primary liaison for the program to all internal and external constituents" - one could put the student bdy as an internal constituent. Regardless, whether it's Baker or whomever, someone should be giving thought to the issue.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:07 am So I picked the DOLO as more of an example but one of his primary responsibilities is "primary liaison for the program to all internal and external constituents" - one could put the student bdy as an internal constituent. Regardless, whether it's Baker or whomever, someone should be giving thought to the issue.
Nothing puts butts in the seats like winning.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Not about the lacrosse attendance it's about the school engaging the students, alumni and community in something other than a political lecture or a zoom about its work on a corona task force or website. College is supposed to be FUN. There was no spring fair last year, the program has been mediocre for years, in person events have been limited, there's not a lot to do in Baltimore to begin with. School should have PM's staff handing out schedules and treats at the dorms and mse over finals week, making calls to alumni groups/faculty to get them excited about the season, having student athletes do the same in the dorms next february after classes resume, offering free beanies and scarves to students who show up, get a band for some tailgating, set up a grill on the freshman quad before the jacksonville game. Live a little, get happy again.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:33 pm Not about the lacrosse attendance it's about the school engaging the students, alumni and community in something other than a political lecture or a zoom about its work on a corona task force or website. College is supposed to be FUN. There was no spring fair last year, the program has been mediocre for years, in person events have been limited, there's not a lot to do in Baltimore to begin with. School should have PM's staff handing out schedules and treats at the dorms and mse over finals week, making calls to alumni groups/faculty to get them excited about the season, having student athletes do the same in the dorms next february after classes resume, offering free beanies and scarves to students who show up, get a band for some tailgating, set up a grill on the freshman quad before the jacksonville game. Live a little, get happy again.
They do most of this already. "They should make calls to alumni" hahaha you are totally clueless

Let me get this straight. You want John Grant Jr. handing out brownies outside Wolman Hall in order to get more students to go to a lacrosse game? Do you hear yourself? I thought you were a men's lax elitist but now you apparently want to turn the team into the Girl Scouts so maybe I had it all wrong.

I already mentioned that the school IS making a concerted effort to get students to attend more games re: that Instagram account with giveaways — they're *literally* doing exactly what you want by giving out free shirts/hats/etc. to students but I guarantee you're going to completely ignore that reality and just keep saying the same thing over and over again. Absolutely demented.

Also there's plenty to do in Baltimore.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

2022 Johns Hopkins Men's Lacrosse Schedule
Jan. 29 @ Denver (Scrimmage)
Feb. 5 Jacksonville
11 @ Towson
13 @ Georgetown
19 Loyola (2 pm)
26 @ North Carolina
Mar. 5 @ Virginia
12 Syracuse
18 Navy
20 @ Delaware
26 Michigan (2 pm) *
Apr. 3 @ Rutgers *
9/10 @ Ohio State *
16 Penn State *
23 Maryland *
30 B1G Quarterfinals (Campus Sites)
May 5 B1G Semifinals (@ Maryland)
7 B1G Championship (@ Maryland)
14-15 NCAA First Round (Campus Sites)
21-22 NCAA Quarterfinals (@ Hofstra, @ Notre Dame)
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

What an absolute f*cking gauntlet.

No human has ever been more wrong about anything than the guy who came in here and said Milliman would soften the schedule and only play cupcakes.

Feb. 13 to March 12 — in the span of a month we play Georgetown, Loyola, UNC, UVA, and Cuse. My god.
Last edited by HopFan16 on Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Prediction

Feb. 5 Jacksonville - W
11 @ Towson - W
13 @ Georgetown - W
19 Loyola (2 pm) - L
26 @ North Carolina - L
Mar. 5 @ Virginia - L
12 Syracuse - L
18 Navy - W
20 @ Delaware - W
26 Michigan (2 pm) - W
Apr. 3 @ Rutgers - L
9/10 @ Ohio State - W
16 Penn State - L
23 Maryland -L

7-7
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:16 pm What an absolute f*cking gauntlet.

No human has ever been more wrong about anything than the guy who came in here and said Milliman would soften the schedule and only play cupcakes.

Feb. 13 to March 12 — in the span of a month we play Georgetown, Loyola, UNC, UVA, and Cuse. My god.
plenty of opportunities for quality wins
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:16 pm What an absolute f*cking gauntlet.

Not to mention Petro intentionally kept that Navy game early. PM hasn’t done that and is probably in for a tough game. Nobody can accuse him of looking for easy Ws with the exception of game one.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

March 12...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:35 pmMarch 12...
At home and circled. At the risk of being dramatic, biggest game for the Jays in recent history outside of the B1G tournament finals.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Where is location of GTown game? The Hoyas say it's at Homewood, and we say it's in DC. I suspect ours is probably right as that'd be 7 home 7 away.
Last edited by HopFan16 on Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bananas

Post by bananas »

Tough schedule as usual but why schedule a good Georgetown team two days after playing an improved Towson squad ? That be tough sledding . Even young legs get tired . Wish Jays have given away that advantage to Knights.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

flalax22 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:19 pm Prediction

Feb. 5 Jacksonville - W
11 @ Towson - W
13 @ Georgetown - W
19 Loyola (2 pm) - L
26 @ North Carolina - L
Mar. 5 @ Virginia - L
12 Syracuse - L
18 Navy - W
20 @ Delaware - W
26 Michigan (2 pm) - W
Apr. 3 @ Rutgers - L
9/10 @ Ohio State - W
16 Penn State - L
23 Maryland -L

7-7
My guess?

A 10-4 regular season, second seed in the B1G tournament, an upset win in the B1G title game, a top 8 seed in the NCAA tournament, and a shocking return to the Final Four!

If you can’t dream it, you won’t live it.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”