All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

Typical Lax Dad

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:39 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:21 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:01 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:49 am
youthathletics wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:01 am Interesting headline and story.....LeBron in "covid protocol" but not noted if he was positive. And according to him, was just vaccinated, a little over two months ago. https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/327 ... les-lakers
Wouldn’t surprise me if he only had one shot or J&J. He’s careless.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/327 ... y-findings
But he’s such a great businessman and student of all things…

(Hate his PR machine it’s so ridiculous)
He tries too hard. My nephew ran with LeBron and his crew during his freshman year of college. He had a ball. He moved to Texas and lost touch but may still be in touch with Maverick Carter.
That’s been my view and for whatever reason it’s kind of infuriating to me. I honestly believe, acknowledging I’ve never come close to those shoes, that I’d care a whole lot less if I was such a unique world class talent at anything (other than being a degenerate which I’ve clearly got on lockdown). Same thing w Brady. Just be cool, you’ve already proven you’ve won through skill, hard work whatever.
He really is a nice guy from all that I have gathered. He was a rookie when my nephew ran with him. He was more comfortable just being one of the guys. It’s consistent with his personality. I like a lot of what he does off the court but don’t like his basketball persona.
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:56 pm I know many people that voted Biden, and because of the mandate have said never again. Many of Bidens votes came from those just sick of the divisiveness from Trump. I guess you assume all the mouth breathers are republicans?
:lol: No. That's not what I meant. What I meant was: if you're in that 8% of anti vaxxers in 2021, and work for the Fed? There's NO WAY you're voting for Biden.

youthathletics wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:56 pm My original point was the quagmire protentional that may very well happen early January, and possible rippling outcomes.
So the government will be short staffed, and overworked--------just like every other company on the globe in 2021.
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:56 pm
a fan wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:58 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:04 pm And good for Biden and the democrats if they are willing to risk votes when terminations take place.
So what's the thought here? You think 2021's anti vaxxers are going to vote for a Democrat? Really? :lol: ;)
I know many people that voted Biden, and because of the mandate have said never again. Many of Bidens votes came from those just sick of the divisiveness from Trump. I guess you assume all the mouth breathers are republicans? And guess who fills close to 50% of those GS1-9 desk jobs in the federal govt?.....The very same group that is also the lowest in vaccination percentage and primarily votes blue.

My original point was the quagmire protentional that may very well happen early January, and possible rippling outcomes. But let's keep score....that's all that matters these days. :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:08 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:56 pm My original point was the quagmire protentional that may very well happen early January, and possible rippling outcomes.
So the government will be short staffed, and overworked--------just like every other company on the globe in 2021.
Well, you have a point there :lol:.....not sure they'll know how to handle it, but as I like to say " a little time in the crucibles will do you some good".
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:00 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:01 am Interesting headline and story.....LeBron in "covid protocol" but not noted if he was positive. And according to him, was just vaccinated, a little over two months ago. https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/327 ... les-lakers

He tries too hard. My nephew ran with LeBron and his crew during his freshman year of college. He had a ball. He moved to Texas and lost touch but may still be in touch with Maverick Carter.
That’s been my view and for whatever reason it’s kind of infuriating to me. I honestly believe, acknowledging I’ve never come close to those shoes, that I’d care a whole lot less if I was such a unique world class talent at anything (other than being a degenerate which I’ve clearly got on lockdown). Same thing w Brady. Just be cool, you’ve already proven you’ve won through skill, hard work whatever.
He really is a nice guy from all that I have gathered. He was a rookie when my nephew ran with him. He was more comfortable just being one of the guys. It’s consistent with his personality. I like a lot of what he does off the court but don’t like his basketball persona.
He definitely spray paints hair onto his head. Headband won’t solve the black Lex Luther issue
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:53 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:00 pm

He definitely spray paints hair onto his head. Headband won’t solve the black Lex Luther issue
Yes he does!
“I wish you would!”
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

The Ethicist, column in the NYTimes:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/30/maga ... thics.html

"My daughter, a toddler, started day care this fall. We were told that her new assistant teacher was not vaccinated. This person was supposedly “considering” vaccination but also claimed to have religious reasons for refusing it. However, those she chose to work with are especially vulnerable: They cannot wear masks, cannot currently be vaccinated and are still forming their immune systems. When we pressed the owner of the school, she said she could not find qualified vaccinated individuals to take the job. We see vaccination as a public duty, not a personal choice, especially when working with vulnerable populations. I don’t consider even a religious exemption to be ethical. Is there another way to look at it?" Kalie Z.

In a democracy with a great diversity of faiths, we should do our best to accommodate the seriously held religious beliefs of our fellow citizens. This is, in part, the counsel of prudence. Religious difference can tear societies apart; accommodating difference can help people live in harmony. Nor should the state heedlessly trespass on personal autonomy, including people’s projects and commitments, which often are religious in nature. Now for a few critical caveats.

Some people seem to think that merely uttering the words ‘religious exemption’ obliges us to let them do whatever they want.
Free-exercise claims may be denied when they clash with other exigent considerations, including other forms of liberty. Even when exemptions are granted, they may come with consequences. For public-health reasons, we may decide we must limit the freedom of vaccine-exempted people to do things like eat at restaurants or participate unmasked in indoor events, perhaps even to hold specific jobs. People who say that they should be exempt without cost are refusing to take their responsibility to the rest of us seriously: They can hardly expect us to burden ourselves for their sakes if they aren’t inclined to reciprocate. We also have reason to doubt the weight of their religious commitments, given that such commitments typically entail accepting the reasonable burdens of living up to them.

And this matters because people who demand religious exemption are not exempt from having the sincerity of their demands scrutinized. The military has, for generations, made inquiries into how conscientious a conscientious objection really is; immigration officials may make similar inquiries into a green-card-conferring marriage. Vaccination saves enormous numbers of lives. It’s fair to ask those requesting exemptions to give a meaningful explanation of why receiving the vaccine contravenes their creed; it’s fair to inquire if they are consistent in applying the pertinent tenets.

It matters, too, whether religious claims against the state or an employer are backed by a community of faith. (No major religious group has asked members to abstain from vaccination, though individual congregations may go their own way.) That’s relevant in two respects. First, we have some reason to try to accommodate a community of faith precisely because it is a community; and second, such membership increases our confidence that the profession is sincere. When conscientious objectors are asked to establish their bona fides, the fact that they belong to a tradition with pacifist commitments — such as Quakerism — may be taken as a useful proxy.

Our assessments of faith-based claims will be imperfect, no doubt. But allowing people to assert a religious exemption with no questions asked is an obvious invitation to abuse. Some people seem to think that merely uttering the words “religious exemption” obliges us to let them do whatever they want. That way chaos lies.
Typical Lax Dad

seacoaster wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:29 pm The Ethicist, column in the NYTimes:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/30/maga ... thics.html

"My daughter, a toddler, started day care this fall. We were told that her new assistant teacher was not vaccinated. This person was supposedly “considering” vaccination but also claimed to have religious reasons for refusing it. However, those she chose to work with are especially vulnerable: They cannot wear masks, cannot currently be vaccinated and are still forming their immune systems. When we pressed the owner of the school, she said she could not find qualified vaccinated individuals to take the job. We see vaccination as a public duty, not a personal choice, especially when working with vulnerable populations. I don’t consider even a religious exemption to be ethical. Is there another way to look at it?" Kalie Z.

In a democracy with a great diversity of faiths, we should do our best to accommodate the seriously held religious beliefs of our fellow citizens. This is, in part, the counsel of prudence. Religious difference can tear societies apart; accommodating difference can help people live in harmony. Nor should the state heedlessly trespass on personal autonomy, including people’s projects and commitments, which often are religious in nature. Now for a few critical caveats.

Some people seem to think that merely uttering the words ‘religious exemption’ obliges us to let them do whatever they want.
Free-exercise claims may be denied when they clash with other exigent considerations, including other forms of liberty. Even when exemptions are granted, they may come with consequences. For public-health reasons, we may decide we must limit the freedom of vaccine-exempted people to do things like eat at restaurants or participate unmasked in indoor events, perhaps even to hold specific jobs. People who say that they should be exempt without cost are refusing to take their responsibility to the rest of us seriously: They can hardly expect us to burden ourselves for their sakes if they aren’t inclined to reciprocate. We also have reason to doubt the weight of their religious commitments, given that such commitments typically entail accepting the reasonable burdens of living up to them.

And this matters because people who demand religious exemption are not exempt from having the sincerity of their demands scrutinized. The military has, for generations, made inquiries into how conscientious a conscientious objection really is; immigration officials may make similar inquiries into a green-card-conferring marriage. Vaccination saves enormous numbers of lives. It’s fair to ask those requesting exemptions to give a meaningful explanation of why receiving the vaccine contravenes their creed; it’s fair to inquire if they are consistent in applying the pertinent tenets.

It matters, too, whether religious claims against the state or an employer are backed by a community of faith. (No major religious group has asked members to abstain from vaccination, though individual congregations may go their own way.) That’s relevant in two respects. First, we have some reason to try to accommodate a community of faith precisely because it is a community; and second, such membership increases our confidence that the profession is sincere. When conscientious objectors are asked to establish their bona fides, the fact that they belong to a tradition with pacifist commitments — such as Quakerism — may be taken as a useful proxy.

Our assessments of faith-based claims will be imperfect, no doubt. But allowing people to assert a religious exemption with no questions asked is an obvious invitation to abuse. Some people seem to think that merely uttering the words “religious exemption” obliges us to let them do whatever they want. That way chaos lies.
Thanks for posting that.
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Interesting slide deck in Dans post: https://www.instagram.com/p/CW9btALrFNr ... =copy_link
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:31 pm Interesting slide deck in Dans post: https://www.instagram.com/p/CW9btALrFNr ... =copy_link
Crenshaw has become nothing more than a right wing troll; His comment is dumb...yes, the economy is hugely better today than it was 12 months ago, huge job growth, huge GDP growth, very low unemployment, big wage growth...the economy is much, much stronger...due to "stronger" Covid measures in place than existed 12 months ago. Yup, true. We can argue about where credit is due, but those are nevertheless the facts.

But what "slide deck"?
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:46 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:31 pm Interesting slide deck in Dans post: https://www.instagram.com/p/CW9btALrFNr ... =copy_link
Crenshaw has become nothing more than a right wing troll; His comment is dumb...yes, the economy is hugely better today than it was 12 months ago, huge job growth, huge GDP growth, very low unemployment, big wage growth...the economy is much, much stronger...due to "stronger" Covid measures in place than existed 12 months ago. Yup, true. We can argue about where credit is due, but those are nevertheless the facts.

But what "slide deck"?
+1
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Typical Lax Dad

Yes very:

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/11/10/ele ... onomy.html

But who is keeping score?

“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Crenshaw has become nothing more than a right wing troll; His comment is dumb...yes, the economy is hugely better today than it was 12 months ago, huge job growth, huge GDP growth, very low unemployment, big wage growth...the economy is much, much stronger...due to "stronger" Covid measures in place than existed 12 months ago. Yup, true.
:roll: ...12 mos ago vaccines were just becoming available & there were very few therapeutics available.
Of course the economy has improved steadily as the lockdowns were lifted. Duh.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:59 pm
Crenshaw has become nothing more than a right wing troll; His comment is dumb...yes, the economy is hugely better today than it was 12 months ago, huge job growth, huge GDP growth, very low unemployment, big wage growth...the economy is much, much stronger...due to "stronger" Covid measures in place than existed 12 months ago. Yup, true.
:roll: ...12 mos ago vaccines were just becoming available & there were very few therapeutics available.
Tell it to Crenshaw...I thought is was a "duh" too. He apparently didn't.

Much "stronger Covid measures"...includes vaccine availability, distribution and mandates, as well as therapeutics...all translating to much higher consumer confidence, business confidence.

"duh".

That said, we're still way differently balanced between services and goods, which is causing all sorts of price disruption. Some residual fears of congregating. Only real negative, though one might also argue that women's low labor participation rate is a problem. Covid-related as well, but certainly way better than a year ago.

Omicron has folks spooked, but if it turns out to be less deadly, I'd expect another big burst in consumer confidence. Could go the other way though. Fingers crossed.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

... I am betting omicron will be a dud (relatively). Good reason to be concerned, but at the end of the day it is going to go the way of lambda. It won't be worse than delta.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:45 am
old salt wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:59 pm
Tell it to Crenshaw...I thought is was a "duh" too. He apparently didn't.

Much "stronger Covid measures"...includes vaccine availability, distribution and mandates, as well as therapeutics...all translating to much higher consumer confidence, business confidence.

"duh".
So you agree with Crenshaw. He was giving Klain a "duh".
Biden told us we were back to normal by last 4th of July, thanks to his inspirational leadership.

Yeah, Biden's been doing a great job stopping covid at our southern border. Compare that to his travel ban for a mutation that the South African docs say only causes mild symptoms.

Biden can't convince the courts that his mandates are legal or Governors that they are worth the damage they'll do.
53% of the TX Army National Guard remains unvaccinated. Biden has no credibility. People don't believe him.
Now blame that on Trump & the Russians too.

The vaccine work was done for Biden before he came to office. The vaccines had EUA, future orders were placed & availability was guaranteed for 3 vaccines. All Biden & Harris did was undermine vaccine confidence by saying they did not trust a vaccine developed under Trump. Therapeutics have not been publicized for fear that would reassure the vaccine hesitant & deniers.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

^^^ what BS. :roll:
Bart

Post by Bart »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:58 am ... I am betting omicron will be a dud (relatively). Good reason to be concerned, but at the end of the day it is going to go the way of lambda. It won't be worse than delta.
Is this a quote from someone or your personal thought?

Return to “POLITICS”