All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

cradleandshoot

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by cradleandshoot »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/n ... ar-AAR7yUH

I'm just wondering where this all ends? Everyday there is conflicting reports about Covid in the USA and overseas. I was vaccinated because i was protecting myself from getting sick. I just had my booster shot so i don't get sick. Is it true that this virus will just keep mutating and making vaccines useless??
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:41 pm https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/n ... ar-AAR7yUH

I'm just wondering where this all ends? Everyday there is conflicting reports about Covid in the USA and overseas. I was vaccinated because i was protecting myself from getting sick. I just had my booster shot so i don't get sick. Is it true that this virus will just keep mutating and making vaccines useless??
what conflicting reports are you speaking about?

it's true the virus will just keep mutating. it's possible (or more than possible) that will make present-day vaccines against those mutations less effective. or even useless. it's then also just as possible (moreso) the vaccines will adjust accordingly. maybe our immune systems will as well and herd comes about at some point.

what we might need is a benign mutation that is wimpy on killing or seriously compromising folks, but is crazy infectious. and that doesn't have the ability to mutate out it's signalling capacity.

any details on the r0 of this one and how slippery it is to the vaxx? case fatality? south africa like the rest of africa not vaxxed much?

#notaninfectiousdiseaseexpert
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:37 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:41 pm https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/n ... ar-AAR7yUH

it's true the virus will just keep mutating. it's possible (or more than possible) that will make present-day vaccines against those mutations less effective. or even useless. it's then also just as possible (moreso) the vaccines will adjust accordingly. maybe our immune systems will as well and herd comes about at some point.

what we might need is a benign mutation that is wimpy on killing or seriously compromising folks, but is crazy infectious. and that doesn't have the ability to mutate out it's signalling capacity.

any details on the r0 of this one and how slippery it is to the vaxx? case fatality? south africa like the rest of africa not vaxxed much?

By conflicting reports I am referring to what is reported on our local news everyday. Covid protocols and recommendations change from day to day and from county to county and city to city and state to state. There is almost no consensus across the board what the correct strategy should be.
Bob Ross:
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:46 pm

By conflicting reports I am referring to what is reported on our local news everyday. Covid protocols and recommendations change from day to day and from county to county and city to city and state to state. There is almost no consensus across the board what the correct strategy should be.
it's a pandemic. there are no preset rules. here and probably about everywhere it depends on politics as they control the levers and then how the political infrastructure is set up. ours has a pretty big lean to local. so you get what we have. i consider that a positive, even if you might not be in line with everything local (i'm not).

to expect anything different given the above would be foolhardy. i'm with the founders. still.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:19 pm

it's a pandemic. there are no preset rules. here and probably about everywhere it depends on politics as they control the levers and then how the political infrastructure is set up. ours has a pretty big lean to local. so you get what we have. i consider that a positive, even if you might not be in line with everything local (i'm not).

to expect anything different given the above would be foolhardy. i'm with the founders. still.
I'm all about doing everything you can to protect yourself. I also find it very confusing why so many people refuse to get vaccinated. I wonder if as many people back in the 50s would have refused to get vaccinated against polio?
Bob Ross:
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Effective therapeutics
Bart

Post by Bart »

The variant is new. That is all we know right now. The fact that is has multiple different mutations on the spike means exactly that it......has multiple mutations on the spike. No one knows what it means in terms of vaccine efficacy or virulence at this point. The multiple mutations does suggest it is a new distinct clade from Delta and a independent mutational string of events. This is exactly what you would expect in a virus that is free to reproduce in certain areas of the world........it is a simple numbers game.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Bart wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:20 pm

The variant is new. That is all we know right now. The fact that is has multiple different mutations on the spike means exactly that it......has multiple mutations on the spike. No one knows what it means in terms of vaccine efficacy or virulence at this point. The multiple mutations does suggest it is a new distinct clade from Delta and a independent mutational string of events. This is exactly what you would expect in a virus that is free to reproduce in certain areas of the world........it is a simple numbers game.
I understand what you are saying. The average person who has been beaten down with Covid fatigue can't see a light at the end of the tunnel.
Bob Ross:
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:26 pm

I understand what you are saying. The average person who has been beaten down with Covid fatigue can't see a light at the end of the tunnel.
Actually, that light might be an oncoming train. :D
Bart

Post by Bart »

I think the fatigue of this entire thing is real as well.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

That’s exactly how it works….and folks that don’t want to get vaccinated but would rather wait and catch covid and hope for therapy are contributing to the problem.
“I wish you would!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:49 pm

That’s exactly how it works….and folks that don’t want to get vaccinated but would rather wait and catch covid and hope for therapy are contributing to the problem.
... can't happen this way -- there is no virology lab to mediate and make the mutation. ;)
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Kismet wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:09 pm

The Jeebus Express coming for to carry you home…
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/11/26 ... nt-b1-1529

Scientists are still unclear on how effective vaccines will be against the new variant flagged by a team in South Africa, which displays mutations that might resist neutralization. Only several dozen cases have been fully identified so far in South Africa, Botswana, Hong Kong and Israel.

The new variant, B.1.1.529, has a “very unusual constellation of mutations,” with more than 30 in the spike protein alone, according to Tulio de Oliveira, director of the KwaZulu-Natal Research and Innovation Sequencing Platform.

On the ACE2 receptor — the protein that helps to create an entry point for the coronavirus to infect human cells — the new variant has 10 mutations. In comparison, the Beta variant has three and the Delta variant two, Mr. de Oliveira said.

The variant shares similarities with the Lambda and Beta variants, which are associated with an innate evasion of immunity, said Richard Lessells, an infectious diseases specialist at the KwaZulu-Natal Research and Innovation Sequencing Platform.

“All these things are what give us some concern that this variant might have not just enhanced transmissibility, so spread more efficiently, but might also be able to get around parts of the immune system and the protection we have in our immune system,” Dr. Lessells said."

Financial markets are way down this AM across the board.
We may wish to be done with COVID but it appears that COVID might not be done with us.

UPDATE: In Botswana, the four cases were in fully vaccinated people who were asymptomatic tested because they were traveling. So far, none of the infected patients has severe disease.
Last edited by Kismet on Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:27 pm
Kismet wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:09 pm

The Jeebus Express coming for to carry you home…
Not to say the answer is to do nothing, but I sometimes think about this and especially with the news out of S. Africa this am and related from Europe the past two or so weeks, and wonder if this is just a planetary adjustment to the growth of human beings. Earth doing it's Malthusian best to people.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

One possible reason this new B.1.1.529 variant arose in South Africa is that South Africa has only a 35% vaccination rate. The unvaccinated are basically a laboratory for new Covid variants.

The virus is adaptable, so we need to be adaptable, too. We need to get vaccination rates as high as possible. We will learn soon how effective current vaccines are against this new variant.

Bottom line … we need to get as many people vaccinated in as many places as possible.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

tech37 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:21 pm

Effective therapeutics
No. That will never stop the pandemic.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:59 am

One possible reason this new B.1.1.529 variant arose in South Africa is that South Africa has only a 35% vaccination rate. The unvaccinated are basically a laboratory for new Covid variants.

The virus is adaptable, so we need to be adaptable, too. We need to get vaccination rates as high as possible. We will learn soon how effective current vaccines are against this new variant.

Bottom line … we need to get as many people vaccinated in as many places as possible.

DocBarrister
...or another possibility, is that the current vaccine is not working as hoped, as the continued variants have figured out new ways to unlock our front door.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:20 am
DocBarrister wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:59 am

DocBarrister
...or another possibility, is that the current vaccine is not working as hoped, as the continued variants have figured out new ways to unlock our front door.
No, the vaccines are working as hoped. There is follow-up data that proves that and the recent surges are overwhelmingly being fueled by the unvaccinated.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021 ... cines.html

DocBarrister
Last edited by DocBarrister on Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
@DocBarrister

Return to “POLITICS”