Bourbon

General Chatter
Farfromgeneva

Re: Bourbon

Post by Farfromgeneva »

a fan wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:14 pm
get it to x wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:16 pm So I had considered a bottle of Colonel E. H. Taylor Small Batch as a sipping bourbon. Had a glass at a neighbor's house. Spectacular! I can't find it anywhere in Greenville. Looking on line it was between $125 and $199. As you can see by the 5 year old review below the MSRP was $55. Is this a product of people hoarding or the demand for a fine bourbon, or both?
Both. The secondary market-----people reselling hard to find bottles-----is about half or more of that cost. So "flippers" buy ten bottles, instead of just one.

The other, is that after 50 years of "not being cool", the Bourbon and Rye producers are finally pricing their whiskies appropriately, given market conditions.
I got into bourbon in and out of Hobart (thanks to my affluent boarding school friends from college for the intro-I was barely able to scrape together money for golden anniversary cases my FR year) and it was no problem in the 2000s, really started to take off first half of this past decade and I basically gave up competing with newbies the last 3-4yrs. It got stupid. Heck I recall seeing a 23yr Pappy at a store in Longwood Fl around the corner from my beat friends house circa 2014-2015 for like $350 and was annoyed (still thought about buying it) as I could still get the 20s and 15s for like $85-$125 less than two years earlier. Now those bottles go for a couple of grand. It’s stupid. Was annoyed a couple of years back when Bookers intentionally cut production to feed into the new “I gots some disposable income and bourbon seems cool” crowd and prices went up 50% within a few months of that move being announced. I feel like the guy that discovered “Dave Matthews or Pearl Jam at the local bars or 2,000 capacity venues and have no interest in seeing them at arenas and football fields”. (This basically happened to me, saw DMB probably 25x in High School early college but by late 90s/turn of Millenium it was all over)

Good for the producers. It’s a free market they should get theirs. But it sucks for people who cared more than 5-8yrs ago. I’m on the wagon for a while personally with a TBD return date but wonder how much I’ll bother with higher end stuff or just buy my $25 bottles of 1792 (Ridgemont Reserve) and just call it a day.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:32 pm
get it to x wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:16 pm So I had considered a bottle of Colonel E. H. Taylor Small Batch as a sipping bourbon. Had a glass at a neighbor's house. Spectacular! I can't find it anywhere in Greenville. Looking on line it was between $125 and $199. As you can see by the 5 year old review below the MSRP was $55. Is this a product of people hoarding or the demand for a fine bourbon, or both?
Both. The secondary market-----people reselling hard to find bottles-----is about half or more of that cost. So "flippers" buy ten bottles, instead of just one.

The other, is that after 50 years of "not being cool", the Bourbon and Rye producers are finally pricing their whiskies appropriately, given market conditions.
I got into bourbon in and out of Hobart (thanks to my affluent boarding school friends from college for the intro-I was barely able to scrape together money for golden anniversary cases my FR year) and it was no problem in the 2000s, really started to take off first half of this past decade and I basically gave up competing with newbies the last 3-4yrs. It got stupid. Heck I recall seeing a 23yr Pappy at a store in Longwood Fl around the corner from my beat friends house circa 2014-2015 for like $350 and was annoyed (still thought about buying it) as I could still get the 20s and 15s for like $85-$125 less than two years earlier. Now those bottles go for a couple of grand. It’s stupid. Was annoyed a couple of years back when Bookers intentionally cut production to feed into the new “I gots some disposable income and bourbon seems cool” crowd and prices went up 50% within a few months of that move being announced. I feel like the guy that discovered “Dave Matthews or Pearl Jam at the local bars or 2,000 capacity venues and have no interest in seeing them at arenas and football fields”. (This basically happened to me, saw DMB probably 25x in High School early college but by late 90s/turn of Millenium it was all over)

Good for the producers. It’s a free market they should get theirs. But it sucks for people who cared more than 5-8yrs ago. I’m on the wagon for a while personally with a TBD return date but wonder how much I’ll bother with higher end stuff or just buy my $25 bottles of 1792 (Ridgemont Reserve) and just call it a day.
I'm sure I can find plenty to like in the $25-$50 range, especially since I'm about 49% cocktails and 49% straight over a big cube. Every now and then I enjoy some straight whiskey. It just might have to be The Balvenie Doublewood. :o
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

get it to x wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:13 pm

I'm sure I can find plenty to like in the $25-$50 range, especially since I'm about 49% cocktails and 49% straight over a big cube. Every now and then I enjoy some straight whiskey. It just might have to be The Balvenie Doublewood. :o
Yeah you should pretty much never use any good bourbon for a cocktail (by the way what's the other 2%, or is that not legal to discuss?). I never understoon the mint julip nonsense, happen to really like Louisville as a town and gone the weekend prior to the derby around this Thunder over Lousville type stuff, roam around 4th st live, etc. and had a few cocktails with bourbon but it makes no sense with good stuff for me - either straight up or very small cube to cool it slightly without much dilution. (still like to pimp a great restaurant in L'Ville called Jack Fry's for anyone who goes through that town)

Think you said Greenville. Have some in laws there, near Cleveland Park (think like McIver area few blocks away from Augusta St). Don't they have a Greens liquor store? I know they are here in Atl and also in Columbia, SC. They typically carry a good selection and get good allocations. Charleston restaurants used to be able to get really good allocations if you get downstate - there's a strong seafood joint that gets a ton of good bourbons near the market (formerly slave market, semi open air, now sells trinkets you'd see in any festival tent set up, wine bottle holders made from randon stuff, etc.) called Hanks - https://hanksseafoodrestaurant.com/#home-menus
a fan

Post by a fan »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:11 pm

Think you said Greenville. Have some in laws there, near Cleveland Park (think like McIver area few blocks away from Augusta St). Don't they have a Greens liquor store? I know they are here in Atl and also in Columbia, SC. They typically carry a good selection and get good allocations. Charleston restaurants used to be able to get really good allocations if you get downstate - there's a strong seafood joint that gets a ton of good bourbons near the market (formerly slave market, semi open air, now sells trinkets you'd see in any festival tent set up, wine bottle holders made from randon stuff, etc.) called Hanks - https://hanksseafoodrestaurant.com/#home-menus
Don't know if we'd discussed this before, but i hit up Jack Fry's with my fellow distillers and still fabricators every time I'm in Louisville. Love that place.

Hanks is my favorite place in Columbia. Pre-Covid they'd carry our Gin and would rotated through our liqueurs. Great food, imho.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

Yeah you should pretty much never use any good bourbon for a cocktail (by the way what's the other 2%, or is that not legal to discuss?). I never understoon the mint julip nonsense, happen to really like Louisville as a town and gone the weekend prior to the derby around this Thunder over Lousville type stuff, roam around 4th st live, etc. and had a few cocktails with bourbon but it makes no sense with good stuff for me - either straight up or very small cube to cool it slightly without much dilution. (still like to pimp a great restaurant in L'Ville called Jack Fry's for anyone who goes through that town)

I almost exclusively use Rittenhouse BIB 100 Proof Rye for cocktails. It cuts through almost anything, so you still know you're drinking American whiskey. Tonight is Faux Friday. I am having a Black Manhattan. Substituting Ramazotti Amaro for Sweet Vermouth and adding Fee Bros. Orange Bitters in addition to Angostura. Over a big cube. Wife is driving us to dinner.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

a fan wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:22 pm

Don't know if we'd discussed this before, but i hit up Jack Fry's with my fellow distillers and still fabricators every time I'm in Louisville. Love that place.

Hanks is my favorite place in Columbia. Pre-Covid they'd carry our Gin and would rotated through our liqueurs. Great food, imho.
Yep I recall you mentioning it. I do the same when I go through L’Ville. That Highlands area and down by the river is 98% of my time.

Entrees at Frys rule but I can’t go and not get this app every time.

Medjool Dates    /    $16
Prosciutto-wrapped Medjool dates stuffed with buttermilk blue cheese and black walnuts. Served with bourbon maple gastrique atop sun-dried tomato pesto and finished with microgreens.

Funny little side note-the scenes in Inside Man were filmed at a locally based bank in LVille called stockyards bank & trust.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

get it to x wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:32 pm

I almost exclusively use Rittenhouse BIB 100 Proof Rye for cocktails. It cuts through almost anything, so you still know you're drinking American whiskey. Tonight is Faux Friday. I am having a Black Manhattan. Substituting Ramazotti Amaro for Sweet Vermouth and adding Fee Bros. Orange Bitters in addition to Angostura. Over a big cube. Wife is driving us to dinner.
Starting before dinner! Will she be driving you back?
a fan

Post by a fan »

get it to x wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:32 pm I almost exclusively use Rittenhouse BIB 100 Proof Rye for cocktails. It cuts through almost anything, so you still know you're drinking American whiskey. Tonight is Faux Friday. I am having a Black Manhattan. Substituting Ramazotti Amaro for Sweet Vermouth and adding Fee Bros. Orange Bitters in addition to Angostura.
It's been fun watching Americans over the past few years figuring out how good Amaros are..... We did America's first (our Three Pins) Amaro since Prohibition, as well as the first Fernet. Now there are dozens of American made Amaros out there. Nice to see, because they're really fun to make.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

a fan wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:39 pm
get it to x wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:32 pm I almost exclusively use Rittenhouse BIB 100 Proof Rye for cocktails. It cuts through almost anything, so you still know you're drinking American whiskey. Tonight is Faux Friday. I am having a Black Manhattan. Substituting Ramazotti Amaro for Sweet Vermouth and adding Fee Bros. Orange Bitters in addition to Angostura.
It's been fun watching Americans over the past few years figuring out how good Amaros are..... We did America's first (our Three Pins) Amaro since Prohibition, as well as the first Fernet. Now there are dozens of American made Amaros out there. Nice to see, because they're really fun to make.
I think my next Amaro purchase will either be Cynar, or Averna, from Sicily. And yes FFG, she drove us home.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

get it to x wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:40 pm
I think my next Amaro purchase will either be Cynar, or Averna, from Sicily. And yes FFG, she drove us home.
Glad she didn’t make you uber back.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

You cannot beat Averna. My Sicilian grandfather had one every night with his espresso. For some reason, he later switched to anisette in the coffee. Leopold Three Pins is also excellent.

BTW for a fan, Columbia SC was home for one of your greatest fans - the late/great Lax Fidelis.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Kismet wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:40 am
You cannot beat Averna. My Sicilian grandfather had one every night with his espresso. For some reason, he later switched to anisette in the coffee. Leopold Three Pins is also excellent.
My favorite Italian Restaurant, where my wife and I were engaged,....Filomena in Georgetown, at the special seating of "Filomena's Kitchen" serves after dinner drinks of amaretto and sambuca, with raw coffee beans....to drop in your drink for health, wealth, and happiness. We still go regularly.

They also ship their desserts which are fabulous.....I always have they Tiramisu, I've never had better.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:24 am
Kismet wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:40 am
My favorite Italian Restaurant, where my wife and I were engaged,....Filomena in Georgetown, at the special seating of "Filomena's Kitchen" serves after dinner drinks of amaretto and sambuca, with raw coffee beans....to drop in your drink for health, wealth, and happiness. We still go regularly.

They also ship their desserts which are fabulous.....I always have they Tiramisu, I've never had better.
Nice but any legit and authentic Italian Restaurant that serves pasta carbonara with peas and cream CANNOT be on the level. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Let alone at $34 a plate ala carte. Eggs, Percorino, guanciale/pancetta and black pepper (lots)...that's it for authentic Roman dish.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Looking for a good new one myself let me know what you find.
The one I like a lot, Braulio from Bormio, is getting tough to find in the states. It was already difficult. Almost impossible now. Have to rely on the generosity of family during their trips, to lug me back a bottle…
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:06 pm
The one I like a lot, Braulio from Bormio, is getting tough to find in the states. It was already difficult. Almost impossible now. Have to rely on the generosity of family during their trips, to lug me back a bottle…
Looks like some VA ABC stores have some in stock if you are traveling: https://www.abc.virginia.gov/products/c ... ductSize=0
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:55 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:06 pm
Looks like some VA ABC stores have some in stock if you are traveling: https://www.abc.virginia.gov/products/c ... ductSize=0
None planned, but thanks for the heads up. May have to swing south, if I get close.
ggait

Post by ggait »

I really like the Red Hook variation on a Manhattan -- rye, Punt e Mes, marischino liquer (Leopold's is excellent).

Price and availability of Rittenhouse is not as good as a few years ago. Even though a bourbon, I think WT 101 is a fine rye substitute for Rittenhouse in a Manhattan, Red Hook, Brooklyn, etc.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

ggait wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:15 pm
I really like the Red Hook variation on a Manhattan -- rye, Punt e Mes, marischino liquer (Leopold's is excellent).

Price and availability of Rittenhouse is not as good as a few years ago. Even though a bourbon, I think WT 101 is a fine rye substitute for Rittenhouse in a Manhattan, Red Hook, Brooklyn, etc.
I’ll have to try the Red Hook. Ever had a Reverse Manhattan?

I make a Tom Ford, which is 2oz rye, 1oz of Carpano Antica, lux cherry, and orange bitters, with an orange peel swipe on the rim and twist garnished.
~Livy
ggait

Post by ggait »

Sure. A 1-1 or 1-2 is nice when you're not in the mood for the full bolus of ethanol.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

ggait wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:53 pm
Sure. A 1-1 or 1-2 is nice when you're not in the mood for the full bolus of ethanol.
I also like a Little Italy. I've seen different recipes with Rye, Sweet Vermouth and either Amaro or Aperol. I have had it both ways, and prefer the Amaro. I believe Cynar is the recommended Amaro.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”