Hobart 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
oldbartman

Re: Hobart 2022

Post by oldbartman »

Matnum PI wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:15 pm JHU v. Hobart. https://youtu.be/8sYqVuP6664
Watched the clip. Some nice plays by our offense. The defense looks like it needs a bit of work. That's what scrimmages are for. Now we wait till February.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

LaxFactor saying Ryan Archer was the best player on the field vs. JHU. Like Ryan Tierney for Hofstra last season. FWIW.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:06 am LaxFactor saying Ryan Archer was the best player on the field vs. JHU. Like Ryan Tierney for Hofstra last season. FWIW.
He wasn't at the game, he is going purely off the IL report which said he was "one of the best players on the field."
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:20 am He wasn't at the game, he is going purely off the IL report which said he was "one of the best players on the field."
THAT is very different than the next Ryan Tierney... :)
Caddy Day
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Archer has been very productive just on teams with Chris Aslanian, Eric Holden, Justin Scott and Jason Knox, among others. He was also CNY POY and a highly regarded Il prospect (and Jamie’s son) from a top Hs team. That he’s under the radar is the media’s fault. He put up 32pts as a 4th or 5th option as a FR, then 43pts as a Soph in 2019, was coming along fine in 2020 in a year where starters weren’t playing the second half of most of the games played and put up 3.5/Gm (32 total in 9 games) in 2021. Extending 20-21 into one, 14 game season he had 50pts as effectively a Jr.

He’s not the biggest kid, if you believe he grew over the year he’s 5’1” 175 and was smaller a year ago, but highly skilled just hadn’t shot as well but have to like a kid who’s offense is mixed w 61 gold and 64 assists in 44 games never having been the primary scoring option. Big difference with Tierney who could kindly be described as a “volume shooter”.

https://hwsathletics.com/sports/mens-la ... cher/16492
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Make that 5'10" for Archer.
I thought he was there for the Hopkins scrimmage. He just wasn't on the field all that much.
He's a great scorer, but he's also a really good feeder and is fundamentally unselfish. Always reminded me of Cam Stone in that way. The one thing I don't see him do is lift the team and singlehandedly carry it. It's not his style. He's simply consistent all of the time, so the extra spark usually has to come from somewhere else ... somewhere less expected. Sometimes I wish he would showboat a bit more.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxgunea wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:58 pm Make that 5'10" for Archer.
I thought he was there for the Hopkins scrimmage. He just wasn't on the field all that much.
He's a great scorer, but he's also a really good feeder and is fundamentally unselfish. Always reminded me of Cam Stone in that way. The one thing I don't see him do is lift the team and singlehandedly carry it. It's not his style. He's simply consistent all of the time, so the extra spark usually has to come from somewhere else ... somewhere less expected. Sometimes I wish he would showboat a bit more.
Sorry missed a digit on that but yes 5'10". Will Delano, a good looking FR, on the other hand might be closer to that and yet still turn some heads I believe.

Archer does seem like a "lead by example" kid but yeah hasn't had that moment yet. Still when you consider he came into a team as a FR that had all those other ball dominant scorers he wasan't really expected to do much and was a heck of a weapon for a 3rd - 5th option for most of his career. Makes us wonder where some playoff appearances were in that context combined with strong FOGO and solid goalie play...

Last year was a bit messy, had hoped he would be that guy in 21, but early returns on the fallball scrimmages leads hope he will have that. I like the way Derek Madonna really picked it up after Knox stopped being on the team towards the end of the year. This should be the year of Archer, Mott and Madonna. 5th years really produce it seems as well. Apparently Synnott wants to get his with the longstick as well this year from that video.
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxgunea wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:58 pm Make that 5'10" for Archer.
BTW, I believe Durkin had more pts as a Jr than Archer did. Just didn't have a Sr year. I have high hopes for that Soph class - was very optimistic on 4-5 offensive players (Durkin, Bach, Ward - injured all year I believe & Delaney) and we saw a few others play and play well including Datellas who I didn't even see coming. Get some health back including Herlihy and Romm, maybe see more offense from Baltzer and Mitrow this year and we could be a lot deeper than it looks on paper. We will see but glad we have a tougher OOC to prepare for conference play this year.
See Martin, Malcolm
Bart

Post by Bart »

Thanks. Good stuff.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Small thing but noticed our FR class seems on the smaller side in terms of size compared with the last class or two. Obviously a function of who you get and random to a degree but just noting a lot of 5’8” to 5’10” whereas it seemed like we had a lot more kids come the last two year who were 6’+

https://hwsathletics.com/sports/mens-la ... sort=class
See Martin, Malcolm
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Interesting bit in the IL article on High Point. The team was practicing long, accurate passing for when the opposing teams pressed out on them. Something Hobart definitely handled poorly last year. Especially clearing the ball.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

oldbartman wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:48 pm Interesting bit in the IL article on High Point. The team was practicing long, accurate passing for when the opposing teams pressed out on them. Something Hobart definitely handled poorly last year. Especially clearing the ball.
We seemed to prefer the “f it, I’m gonna do a swim move and split this double team of larger riding opponents who are about to sandwich me” technique.
See Martin, Malcolm
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

What's the hold up in getting our schedule officially released?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Other schools, I’d think.
Only a handful have released schedules.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Hobart just finished their football season 9-2. A very good HS lacrosse player from Hun, Grant Hansen, who’s brother went to UMD, won MCP of the game. Hope he pulls a reverse Jamie Breslin/Kevin DeWall as I could see him behind a fine D middie if not more. There’s a FR QB from
Colorado who was an excellent lacrosse player, AA I believe, named Jonny Colombi, whom I’m hoping comes out as well.

https://hwsathletics.com/sports/footbal ... core/28023
See Martin, Malcolm
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Great football season. And what's more, ANOTHER great football season. They are coming back to back. We just missed out on an NCAA bid.
William Smith Soccer is still in it after just pulling off a 5-4 victory over Miseracordia in OT. For those who don't like soccer because it is low scoring, this was the game to see. Wm Smith scored in the first minute, but Miseracordia had some beautiful counterpunch goals and Wm Smith was on its heels. William Smith found themselves down 2-4 with about 20 minutes to go, and seemed to be able to only hit the crossbar. But they put in two to tie it up. In the second overtime they put in the golden goal to win it.
I was talking to someone in the younger generation about how crowded the stands were for lacrosse games back in the 80s. I really think student support for sports is the same as it was back then, but there are many more options available now, both to watch and to play, and it is a year round activity. Lacrosse does not get as many spectators as it used to because students are also going to other activities. Plus, with the current schedule, we aren't talking about watching games on long May days on the Boz. These are gray rainy games in March. The Bubble helps get some parents and fans in, but isn't as good for student seating. I miss the support of the past ... but I think this is the direction things will continue to go in, especially with all of the new sports that are getting added (if they get added ... the loss of the AD does not give me confidence that everyone is on board ... or at least on board with the proposed timeline).
Anyway, if you have time tomorrow, check out William Smith against The College of New Jersey. If I am not mistaken, it is the NCAA quarterfinals. Not bad for a sport that has more than 440 DIII women's soccer programs.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxgunea wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:43 pm Great football season. And what's more, ANOTHER great football season. They are coming back to back. We just missed out on an NCAA bid.
William Smith Soccer is still in it after just pulling off a 5-4 victory over Miseracordia in OT. For those who don't like soccer because it is low scoring, this was the game to see. Wm Smith scored in the first minute, but Miseracordia had some beautiful counterpunch goals and Wm Smith was on its heels. William Smith found themselves down 2-4 with about 20 minutes to go, and seemed to be able to only hit the crossbar. But they put in two to tie it up. In the second overtime they put in the golden goal to win it.
I was talking to someone in the younger generation about how crowded the stands were for lacrosse games back in the 80s. I really think student support for sports is the same as it was back then, but there are many more options available now, both to watch and to play, and it is a year round activity. Lacrosse does not get as many spectators as it used to because students are also going to other activities. Plus, with the current schedule, we aren't talking about watching games on long May days on the Boz. These are gray rainy games in March. The Bubble helps get some parents and fans in, but isn't as good for student seating. I miss the support of the past ... but I think this is the direction things will continue to go in, especially with all of the new sports that are getting added (if they get added ... the loss of the AD does not give me confidence that everyone is on board ... or at least on board with the proposed timeline).
Anyway, if you have time tomorrow, check out William Smith against The College of New Jersey. If I am not mistaken, it is the NCAA quarterfinals. Not bad for a sport that has more than 440 DIII women's soccer programs.
Esports????? Such a bad idea IMO, chasing a fad that’s got heads for beds written all over it. But glad they’re splurging not that they finally moved the endowment after 20yrs of negative real returns $200mm to $220mm from 2001-2020).

Trimester to semester switch in 2000 may have something to do with it. Community relations are far worse as well. Townies used to enjoy folk fest in the spring. Look at the attendance for home and road football games. Think the Geneva-ites were also more fair weather fans w respect to lacrosse when we won 13 straight titles for the first stretch of D3 existing while still playing half a D1 schedule as well. It was still crowded late 90s but the turmoil mid late 2000s and TW years despite his best efforts were just a mess.
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

BTW I heard SUNY Binghamton is not on schedule as they released theirs. Kind of glad I never liked that game and they played dirty often injuring both Love and Akner for no reason at all.
See Martin, Malcolm
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:22 pm Hobart just finished their football season 9-2. A very good HS lacrosse player from Hun, Grant Hansen, who’s brother went to UMD, won MCP of the game. Hope he pulls a reverse Jamie Breslin/Kevin DeWall as I could see him behind a fine D middie if not more. There’s a FR QB from
Colorado who was an excellent lacrosse player, AA I believe, named Jonny Colombi, whom I’m hoping comes out as well.

https://hwsathletics.com/sports/footbal ... core/28023
Blue Jays cruise past Salisbury(#12) 45-20 in first round D3 football tournament! :D
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”