~46~ Lame Duck Unfit Uncle Joe Biden ~46~

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
NattyBohChamps04

Re: ~46~ Unfit Uncle Joe Biden ~46~

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Big swing and a miss on that one fellas.

The point was we could have been starting on a lot of those right now if, you know, Trump & Co had actually done some governing.

We must have also missed on that cartoon where it said everything is being delivered right this second. Could you point to where it says that?

Biden delivered.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:03 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:44 am
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:37 am
youthathletics wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:27 am If only that were true.....please tell me which one of those on that list is shovel ready in the next 2-3years, much less year 1
That face when someone unironically complains that an infrastructure bill wasn't passed 2-3 years ago...
:D
He didn’t complain that it wasn’t passed 2-4 years ago, he’s saying that it will not be “delivered” now or anytime soon as the cartoon and the poster wrongly boasts.
Well, heck, it just got signed.

But neither the cartoon, nor the bill, nor Biden, nor Brooklyn, claims that the infrastructure bill is intended for a short term boost to the economy. Unlike the 'selling' of the bi-partisan stimulus package in 2008, "shovel-ready" isn't the primary intent, though obviously there will indeed be projects begun this coming year. But the vast bulk of the spending happens over the full 10 years, not year one.

Yes, it'll ultimately drive a lot of job growth, primarily in high working class wages, which is certainly good for the overall economy, but IMO this is mostly about increased productivity and competitiveness in an ever more competitive world.

The point, for those who missed it, is that it's a transformative commitment to badly needed infrastructure improvements all across the country. That used to be a major priority for both parties, indeed the same bill could have been passed with Dem support any time in the past 4 years of GOP led Admin, including the period in which the GOP held all levers, but the prior Admin, for all its bluster and fanfare about "infrastructure week" again and again and again, never even produced a bill for a vote. But Biden got it done.

And democracy got it done...the relevance to that is that the US had become an embarrassing basket case in the eyes of much of the developed world, seemingly incapable of making long term investments and instead lurching from one populist outrage to another.

We should all be darn glad that democracy can deliver.
The alternative is failure and ultimately autocracy.

Put aside Party for a moment and simply be glad that democracy can deliver.
a fan

Post by a fan »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:28 pm Joe Biden is Succeeding
All of these bills were written to funnel money to the parts of the country that were less educated, less affluent, left behind. Adam Hersh, a visiting economist at the Economic Policy Institute, projects that more than 80 percent of the new jobs created by the infrastructure plan will not require a college degree.

He has done what Trump couldn't do, fellas. And if any Republicans on the board REALLY care about rural America, and Trump's forgotten voter? You're going to get on your feet, and clap for Biden, and the few Republicans who signed on for this. This is a big deal.

Jobs, and working infrastructure. Shame on Republicans for not voting for this, and for capping its size. This is the ONE THING that even the biggest libertarian believes in.....

I'm sure it's not perfect (I'd triple the size of the infrastructure bill), but whatever.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:39 pm
youthathletics wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:27 am If only that were true.....please tell me which one of those on that list is shovel ready in the next 2-3years, much less year 1
He didn’t complain that it wasn’t passed 2-4 years ago, he’s saying that it will not be “delivered” now or anytime soon as the cartoon and the poster wrongly boasts.

But neither the cartoon, nor the bill, nor Biden, nor Brooklyn, claims that the infrastructure bill is intended for a short term boost to the economy. Unlike the 'selling' of the bi-partisan stimulus package in 2008, "shovel-ready" isn't the primary intent, though obviously there will indeed be projects begun this coming year. But the vast bulk of the spending happens over the full 10 years, not year one.

Yes, it'll ultimately drive a lot of job growth, primarily in high working class wages, which is certainly good for the overall economy, but IMO this is mostly about increased productivity and competitiveness in an ever more competitive world.

The point, for those who missed it, is that it's a transformative commitment to badly needed infrastructure improvements all across the country. That used to be a major priority for both parties, indeed the same bill could have been passed with Dem support any time in the past 4 years of GOP led Admin, including the period in which the GOP held all levers, but the prior Admin, for all its bluster and fanfare about "infrastructure week" again and again and again, never even produced a bill for a vote. But Biden got it done.

And democracy got it done...the relevance to that is that the US had become an embarrassing basket case in the eyes of much of the developed world, seemingly incapable of making long term investments and instead lurching from one populist outrage to another.

We are all glad to see, cough-cough...infrastructure cash being spent, if it ends up there. But there is absolutely zero reason it could not have been allocated for immediately 'shovel ready' work. Even after all the red tape reforms since 2008, some trump cleared the path for, we will still get in our own damned way.

I am thrilled about it, just as I was thrilled we were attempting to bring manufacturing back here...just like Joe is talking about (oddly, he's not being laughed at about it).

Infrastructure cash has always been available and should be part of every single budget....and strangely its why we see so much pork in every damned bill. Remember the WV's highway that to nowhere?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:59 pm

We are all glad to see, cough-cough...infrastructure cash being spent, if it ends up there. But there is absolutely zero reason it could not have been allocated for immediately 'shovel ready' work. Even after all the red tape reforms since 2008, some trump cleared the path for, we will still get in our own damned way.

I am thrilled about it, just as I was thrilled we were attempting to bring manufacturing back here...just like Joe is talking about (oddly, he's not being laughed at about it).

Infrastructure cash has always been available and should be part of every single budget....and strangely its why we see so much pork in every damned bill. Remember the WV's highway that to nowhere?
No reason why Trump couldn’t pass it.
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:59 pm We are all glad to see, cough-cough...infrastructure cash being spent, if it ends up there. But there is absolutely zero reason it could not have been allocated for immediately 'shovel ready' work. Even after all the red tape reforms since 2008, some trump cleared the path for, we will still get in our own damned way.
You're asking for two things at once-----rapid approval, but no pork.

Which one is more important to you? Because if you rush projects to get approved, that's where corruption shows up. Is it any wonder why Trump preferred "shoot, ready, aim" approach to billion dollar projects?

So which is it? Well thought out infrastructure improvements? Or "hurry up, and let's hope there's a point to this project, and not a game to reward a Governor's backers".
youthathletics wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:59 pm I am thrilled about it, just as I was thrilled we were attempting to bring manufacturing back here...just like Joe is talking about (oddly, he's not being laughed at about it).
He's not being laughed at, because no one is paying any attention to these claims. You cats want him to fix the global supply chain---that's his priority now. That, and inflation.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:41 pm
youthathletics wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:59 pm We are all glad to see, cough-cough...infrastructure cash being spent, if it ends up there. But there is absolutely zero reason it could not have been allocated for immediately 'shovel ready' work. Even after all the red tape reforms since 2008, some trump cleared the path for, we will still get in our own damned way.
You're asking for two things at once-----rapid approval, but no pork.

Which one is more important to you? Because if you rush projects to get approved, that's where corruption shows up. Is it any wonder why Trump preferred "shoot, ready, aim" approach to billion dollar projects?

So which is it? Well thought out infrastructure improvements? Or "hurry up, and let's hope there's a point to this project, and not a game to reward a Governor's backers".

I have no clue where you are going with this reply. What is hard to understand about allocating, in one bill, the exact thing(s) we are going to do, with the plan and no pork. Say I want to build a 3 chamber still in every state, I then petition my caucus and fell out the other caucus why and how it will benefit everyone, provide jobs, and ROI, I pass it and we are off and running....with no pork other than expenses related to 3 chamber construction. You know......how the real world works.

Now if you also rolled some cash(pork) in that 3 chamber still bill ..... for a new Ferrari F8 Tributo for momma and an addition on your house.....id tell you to lick ballz & go sharpen your pencil. The problem with how it works now.....you tell me, let me have my new F8 and I'll get you a Lamborghini Huracan Performante; we'll call it good. Only to then realize we cant build that 3 chamber still in every state because some states have laws that will not allow it unless there is one in every county ....'unforeseen scenario's'...oh crap, we are now out of money and we never even made it those fly over states. DId you hear that? yup, money down the drain....BTW how does your wife like her new F8? ;)

youthathletics wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:59 pm I am thrilled about it, just as I was thrilled we were attempting to bring manufacturing back here...just like Joe is talking about (oddly, he's not being laughed at about it).
He's not being laughed at, because no one is paying any attention to these claims. You cats want him to fix the global supply chain---that's his priority now. That, and inflation.
Vortex....engaged.. ;) If we had more manufacturing in the USA....we very well might be the only country not in a global supply chain crisis. ;) But hey.....let's call trump an idiot for trying to bring manufacturing back home, and forget we said that when Biden mentions it, then engage the vortex and bring up supply chain issues that were never mentioned in the conversation.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:19 pm I have no clue where you are going with this reply. What is hard to understand about allocating, in one bill, the exact thing(s) we are going to do, with the plan and no pork. Say I want to build a 3 chamber still in every state, I then petition my caucus and fell out the other caucus why and how it will benefit everyone, provide jobs, and ROI, I pass it and we are off and running....with no pork other than expenses related to 3 chamber construction. You know......how the real world works.
Do you think the bill has a line item price for, say, every bridge we're going to fix? The bill just passed today. They NEED TIME to allocate the funds, YA.

To stick to your analogy here, it would be like cutting my shop a check for $10 million, and saying: "spend this on capital improvements."

How long do you think it would take me to figure out how to WISELY allocate this money?

So we're back to my point: yep, in your analogy, I could easily come up with a spending plan for that $10 million by the end of today. Guess how much will be a waste, and how much will be smartly spent?

OR. Or, my brother and I could take our time, make needs assessment, work on designs, get bids, and put together spreadsheets telling us where the wisest place to put that money is.

Savvy?

BTW? The answer is: at least a year. At least a year to figure out how to spend that money efficiently. And we're just some dinky distillery, not the entire US of A. ;)

youthathletics wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:59 pm But hey.....let's call trump an idiot for trying to bring manufacturing back home, and forget we said that when Biden mentions it, then engage the vortex and bring up supply chain issues that were never mentioned in the conversation.
Want me to laugh at Biden? Ok. I'm laughing. And asking Biden "what's the plan to do that?" (there isn't one)

Notice I didn't say you have BDS? Or tell you to "be patient"? ;)
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

a fan wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:41 pm
youthathletics wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:19 pm I have no clue where you are going with this reply. What is hard to understand about allocating, in one bill, the exact thing(s) we are going to do, with the plan and no pork. Say I want to build a 3 chamber still in every state, I then petition my caucus and fell out the other caucus why and how it will benefit everyone, provide jobs, and ROI, I pass it and we are off and running....with no pork other than expenses related to 3 chamber construction. You know......how the real world works.
Do you think the bill has a line item price for, say, every bridge we're going to fix? The bill just passed today. They NEED TIME to allocate the funds, YA.

To stick to your analogy here, it would be like cutting my shop a check for $10 million, and saying: "spend this on capital improvements."

How long do you think it would take me to figure out how to WISELY allocate this money?

So we're back to my point: yep, in your analogy, I could easily come up with a spending plan for that $10 million by the end of today. Guess how much will be a waste, and how much will be smartly spent?

OR. Or, my brother and I could take our time, make needs assessment, work on designs, get bids, and put together spreadsheets telling us where the wisest place to put that money is.

Savvy?

BTW? The answer is: at least a year. At least a year to figure out how to spend that money efficiently. And we're just some dinky distillery, not the entire US of A. ;)

youthathletics wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:59 pm But hey.....let's call trump an idiot for trying to bring manufacturing back home, and forget we said that when Biden mentions it, then engage the vortex and bring up supply chain issues that were never mentioned in the conversation.
Want me to laugh at Biden? Ok. I'm laughing. And asking Biden "what's the plan to do that?" (there isn't one)

Hopefully this will die in the Senate. The actual price tag is north of $5bn. I think there are more Dem Senators than just Manchin and Sinema who are keeping their powder dry, hoping they can hide behind the two moderate dems.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
a fan

Post by a fan »

get it to x wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:52 pm Hopefully this will die in the Senate. The actual price tag is north of $5bn.
Is it possible you're confusing the infrastructure bill with the "Build Back Better" bill?

The infrastructure bill was signed by Biden, and that's what we're discussing here.

The Build Back one just passed the House. I have NO CLUE what's in that bill.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:59 pm

Well, that's a mouthful.

Certainly there's no arguing that pork happens, bureaucracy happens and fat, greedy hands take a slice when they can get away with it.

But who says "shovel ready" projects are not indeed being funded? You do understand that this is a 10 year bill, though, right? Not a one year bill? And not a short term economic stimulus package?

Massively more $ committed to things that have been unfunded or underfunded for decades. Not gonna get spent in a year, nor should we want it rushed either.

I missed the part, though, where Trump made it easier to get started on a lead pipe replacement program ;) ...it's not as if the problem just happened.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:41 pm

Savvy?

weak sauce my friend, why?....How long have you, and all of us, been saying our infrastructure is in dire need of repair. If they don't know what needs line itemed.....then BOHICA with wasted spending. With my head lowered and whispering in to the microphone, 'shhhh.....this isn't gonna cost us a dime, its paid for". Your side just etched it in stone.....deficit spending is the accepted new norm, balanced budgets are so yesteryear. Your socialism at work....happy? ;)
~Livy

a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:15 pm weak sauce my friend, why?....How long have you, and all of us, been saying our infrastructure is in dire need of repair. If they don't know what needs line itemed
Who is "they"? We just had an election. "They"---the body that passed the bill----is barely 10 months old.

So no, "they" don't know what is in dire need of repair. And "they" just found out how much money has been allocated to each State (sort of an important detail). ;)

You're nitpicking.

What you and I would prefer, I'd imagine, is if we had a big-boy, adult table at Thanksgiving budget passed EVERY YEAR by Congress....which would do EXACTLY what you are suggesting. Measured, wise, accountable infrastructure upkeep.

Trump and the R's who were in total control, did N-O-T-H-I-N-G for two years. I'd PREFER the conservative approach to infrastructure, which would include tax hikes to pay for it.

But instead....... ;)
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:39 pm
youthathletics wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:15 pm weak sauce my friend, why?....How long have you, and all of us, been saying our infrastructure is in dire need of repair. If they don't know what needs line itemed
Who is "they"? We just had an election. "They"---the body that passed the bill----is barely 10 months old.

So no, "they" don't know what is in dire need of repair. And "they" just found out how much money has been allocated to each State (sort of an important detail). ;)

You're nitpicking.

What you and I would prefer, I'd imagine, is if we had a big-boy, adult table at Thanksgiving budget passed EVERY YEAR by Congress....which would do EXACTLY what you are suggesting. Measured, wise, accountable infrastructure upkeep.

Trump and the R's who were in total control, did N-O-T-H-I-N-G for two years. I'd PREFER the conservative approach to infrastructure, which would include tax hikes to pay for it.

But instead....... ;)
"They" is our Federal gov't departments. Like DOT', DOI, DOC....you know, the big government socialism engines that are suppose to spend our money for those very things we need like universities. Blaming a lack of preparation and planning on' just elected' is weak sauce.....we know what needs fixed, Joe has been telling us this entire time.
~Livy

a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:46 pm "They" is our Federal gov't departments. Like DOT', DOI, DOC....you know, the big government socialism engines that are suppose to spend our money for those very things we need like universities.
That's even worse. The top management at DoT DoI, DoC are all brand new, with all new directives, and have been on the job since...

DoT...... Buttigieg, Jan 2021
DoI...... Haaland, Mar 2021
DoC......Raimondo, Mar 2021

Keep digging, though! :lol: ;)

Welcome to US representative Democracy....remember, you traded efficiency of government for having a say in who runs it.

Enjoy!!! :lol: ;)
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:46 pm
a fan wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:39 pm

You're nitpicking.

But instead....... ;)
"They" is our Federal gov't departments. Like DOT', DOI, DOC....you know, the big government socialism engines that are suppose to spend our money for those very things we need like universities. Blaming a lack of preparation and planning on' just elected' is weak sauce.....we know what needs fixed, Joe has been telling us this entire time.
You sound ridiculous.
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:56 pm
youthathletics wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:46 pm "They" is our Federal gov't departments. Like DOT', DOI, DOC....you know, the big government socialism engines that are suppose to spend our money for those very things we need like universities.
That's even worse. The top management at DoT DoI, DoC are all brand new, with all new directives, and have been on the job since...

Welcome to US representative Democracy....remember, you traded efficiency of government for having a say in who runs it.

Yea.....record keeping and statistics is something we throw out each election cycle. Those socialism funded roads and bridges and ???....figure out if they are going to crumble based who is elected each 4 years. :lol:
~Livy

a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:16 pm
a fan wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:56 pm

Yea.....record keeping and statistics is something we throw out each election cycle. Those socialism funded roads and bridges and ???....figure out if they are going to crumble based who is elected each 4 years. :lol:
:lol: I understand all that. The issue is: who gets to choose and prioritize purchases when the money arrives?

It ain't the bureaucrats, sadly. I'd be OVERJOYED if they let institutional knowledge at, say, the Department of Interior make the choices, as you are suggesting.

Lobbyists. That's who will choose the bulk of the projects.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

a fan wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:57 pm
get it to x wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:52 pm Hopefully this will die in the Senate. The actual price tag is north of $5bn.
Is it possible you're confusing the infrastructure bill with the "Build Back Better" bill?

The infrastructure bill was signed by Biden, and that's what we're discussing here.

The Build Back one just passed the House. I have NO CLUE what's in that bill.
Not to mention Elon musks tax bill due for expiring options is more than $5Bn. We got that covered.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Not a good scene for Joe.

https://thehill.com/opinion/white-house ... er-in-2022
President Biden has lost more public support during his first several months in office than any U.S. president since World War II, per Gallup.

Last week, Biden’s approval rating fell to a new low of 41 percent approve, 53 percent disapprove, according to an ABC News-Washington Post poll. Republicans now also hold a 10-point lead in the generic congressional vote — the biggest lead ever recorded for the GOP in the 40-year history of this question being asked, including ahead of the GOP waves in 2014, 2010 and 1994.

Return to “POLITICS”