What you doing this weekend?

General Chatter
SCLaxAttack

Re: What you doing this weekend?

Post by SCLaxAttack »

I hope the swells materialize for you. They didn’t the past few days around Wilmington.

I’m heading out to avoid the projected two days of hurricane winds and potential 25-30” of rain, and hoping I can return early next week.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

SCLaxAttack wrote:I hope the swells materialize for you. They didn’t the past few days around Wilmington.

I’m heading out to avoid the projected two days of hurricane winds and potential 25-30” of rain and hoping I can return early next week.
I have some friends in Beaufort and Pawley's Island. They are moving further inland...a wise decision. I am monitoring NWS reports. They are predicting the storm will stall over Wilmington. You made an excellent decision.

Hope you and all the folks that are facing THE MONSTER stay safe. We experienced SANDY. Devastating! Pray you and the good people of the Carolinas, VA, GA, and anyone in Florence's path, emerge unscathed.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Started out with a terrific cold cut sandwich comprised of dry Italian salami, hummus, lettuce, avocado, Italian salad dressing, and washed it down with a glass of delicious Mayer Brothers apple cider.

Tonight, attended a varsity football game at South St Paul High School which the Packers won over nearby rival Simley.

Plan to attend a municipal youth league football double header tomorrow.

Sunday nite ~ plan to watch NY Giants. During the day, I'll likely watch another NFL game or possibly a motor cycle race online and may possibly stop by a malt shop for a super treat. :D
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

spent my Saturday night watching several boxing matches including Round II of GGG-Canelo:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DnMCDKEVsAA1XFA.jpg

Predictably, a controversial split decision victory for Canelo.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Annual drive up to Beantown for the Full Moon Golf & Poker weekend. Hoping for good scores on BOTH accounts!

Party and dinner on the north shore (God's Country) first, followed by the main events in the western suburbs out near Wayland.

35th annual event!

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Been looking forward to this one for a while- Annual fall party at a friend’s house in the woods- replete with pit beef and crab soup. There are always a few bonfires, a nice brown ale on tap, a myriad of whiskeys and possibly a cigar...
All while the little smells are with the babysitter!
:D
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
DMac

Post by DMac »

Possibly a cigar? I'd bet you've got a couple of your faves set aside just waiting for a week-end flame.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Well, you don’t want to script anything...but maybe a cigar...maybe two if we start early?!
richard

Post by richard »

Hoping for no rain so that I can cut the grass. 30 - 40 inches in the last 2 months and I'm not in N.C.
Crazy summer.
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

A few masters lax games, then a lot of advil, soaking in a tub for a while, and enjoying some beer. Hopefully the soreness will wear off in a week or two.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

started out with high school football as my neighborhood team Humboldt defeated Edison of Minneapolis 30-20 in a rare win

super cheeseburger for dinner

scholastic soccer tomorrow afternoon

Jints on Sunday afternoon

Autumn is crisp here in Lake Wobegone as the breeze can be quite chilly ~ it certainly was this afternoon as temperatures was about 50F but it was windy with moist air so that it felt more like Winter. But it's great for watching youth football and/or soccer.

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

thatsmell wrote:Been looking forward to this one for a while- Annual fall party at a friend’s house in the woods- replete with pit beef and crab soup. There are always a few bonfires, a nice brown ale on tap, a myriad of whiskeys and possibly a cigar...
All while the little smells are with the babysitter!
:D
Currently sitting by the fire with the wife, enjoying a cigar, some bourbon, listening to music, and just chatting about everything and nothing. Currently listening to the Stylistics. Cool and comfy in the mid 60’s.

Thank the Lord for no rain in the next few days.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Went to wedding held at Brittland Manor outside Chestertown, MD this past weekend...pretty area...didn't realize the Chester River was so broad at that point. Sadly, missed (official) oyster season by a week...

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Dis that is the most beautiful picture you have ever posted... :D
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

dislaxxic wrote:

awesome pic ~ reminds me of my days hanging out in Brooklyn's Sheepshead Bay with their many clam bars

thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

dislaxxic wrote:Went to wedding held at Brittland Manor outside Chestertown, MD this past weekend...pretty area...didn't realize the Chester River was so broad at that point. Sadly, missed (official) oyster season by a week...

I'm actually heading down to St. Mary's County, MD (Western side of the bay) next weekend for their annual Oyster Festival!

https://usoysterfest.com/

Home of the US shucking championship!

It's a great, down-home, family event. Great food and very nice people.

They have an arena set up for the shucking contest and share the "results" with the crowd after each round...

:mrgreen:

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Winter has made an early visit to Lake Wobegone so I fired up the oven to bake an almond-banana-spice muffin loaf topped with coco-vanilla frosting. Had a yuge chunk of it with my morning coffee (Gevalia, French Roast) and it was very tasty.

High school football playoffs start this afternoon and will be rooting for my neighborhood team.

Tomorrow - either a college football game at Macalester or possibly some youth municipal league football as their playoffs also begin this week.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Watched yesterday's scholastic football game [Brooklyn Center vs Humboldt] Just before the game, 13 of visiting BC's players kneeled a la Kaepernick during the Anthem. Interestingly, as I stood at attention with several neighborhood pals, one guy endorsed their actions by saying he spent 3 years in the army to preserve their right to do as they please. That's real patriotism.

The visiting Centaurs overcame an early lead by the Hawks to win the game 17-10.

DMac

Post by DMac »

Were the 13 playing monkey see, monkey do? Protesting curfews, too much homework, dress codes, school lunches? These all civics students in tune with what's going on in the country or just think it's the Kap cool thing to do?
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

DMac wrote:Were the 13 playing monkey see, monkey do? Protesting curfews, too much homework, dress codes, school lunches? These all civics students in tune with what's going on in the country or just think it's the Kap cool thing to do?

Here is the school's athletic department site: https://brooklyncenterhs.rschoolteams.com/

You may look up the Twitter/Facebook pages and can get in touch with the coach, his staff, and the players so that they may answer your queries.

······ As for what I'm doing this weekend, I took a long look outside my window to admire the falling snow. As the tv reporters said when they discussed it in the morning news, it looks so beautiful outside! And it's time to marinate some chicken for a good roast later on today ...

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”