January 6, 2021: Insurrection or “normal tourist” visitation?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
cradleandshoot

Re: January 6, 2021: Insurrection or “normal tourist” visitation?

Post by cradleandshoot »

Kismet wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:24 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:19 pm
Kismet wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:11 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:19 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote:Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:39 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:44 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:22 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:08 pm Hopefully we can get a Memorial at "Ground Zero" in the Capital for the most tragic event in US history.

https://twitter.com/PamKeithFL/status/1 ... 7463097345
That sort of hyperbole, while probably meant sincerely and maybe even justifiably in a particular sense, IMO was egregiously offensive to make on that day. Gross.

On the actual sentiment that it is more shocking to learn that a large portion of America is actually willing to dump democracy, including violently, in some sort of fever swamp delusional insurrection than it is that there are Islamist terrorists seeking to kill Americans and they can indeed do so on our own soil, I guess I'd say that I found both shocking and awful, though I was less surprised (but not less horrified) by the latter revelation of 9-11.

We'd known for quite awhile that there were Islamist/fascist terrorists that wanted to kill us, they'd struck many times, and had even almost succeeded previously in attacking the World Trade Center. Enemies from abroad was understood.

But though we knew for decades that there are lots of potential lone wolf right wing nutcases, and even some small groups of such, and they'd proven enormously dangerous as terrorists, whether antisemitic or antimuslim or racist or anti-government, the notion that the danger of actually losing our democracy was real was really brand new.

But not ok to make such a statement on a day of remembrance for 9-11. Gross.
I remember in the late 60s/early 70s a radical left wing group that wanted to overthrow the government. That is an era when bombing federal buildings was all the rage in America. Time was very kind to these terrorists. They found real jobs becoming college professors. I bet more than one is "outraged" over the mob actions of January 6. I'm guessing they are mad they never thought about storming the capital back in the day. Maybe time will be just as kind to these protesters. I wonder how many will become college professors? That seems to be the path of least resistance. I wonder if Bill Ayers was upset by these people? One fortunate thing about the Weather underground.. they were not very smart when it came to making bombs.
The difference, cradle, between this example and where we are right now is that the majority of a political Party's members and nearly all of it's apparatus and highest elected leaders believe that Jan 6 was justified, that Trump actually won, that it is fundamental to believe that in order to be a member of that Party...and that Party controls the governments of many of the States.

Back in the '60's and '70's, while there were many in the Dem Party who were anti-war, etc, only a small fringe thought that violence should be used to overthrow the government.

Jan 6, and the Party's reaction to it, has shown us something new and dangerous.
I disagree with you strongly. My own sister back in 1970 was cheering on the attempts of these people to overthrow our government. They did it for years and a piece of chit like Bill Ayers may or may not have been idolized by a former president. The redneck yahoos that stormed our nation's capital were no different than what the weather underground wanted in 1970. Fortunately the dumbasses blew themselves up before they could achieve their goals. An anarchist is an anarchist no matter what side of the political spectrum they fall on. The fact a low life murdering scumbag like Bill Ayers didn't spend the rest of his life in a jail cell. In a freak circus world he becomes a respected college professor adored by every FLP on this forum. How many of those rednecks from Jan. 6 will gain such respectable status?
Interesting to know that an anarchist is who brought the USA Theodore Roosevelt after shooting President William McKinley in 1901 in Buffalo NY.

The reason Ayers never served a jail term is because the FBI screwed up its investigation and prosecution of not only Ayers but many other radicals of the time. Google COINTELPRO....and thank J. Edgar Hoover for its formation in the 1950s.
I have known that info about Bill Ayers for a long time. What you are telling me is that he got away with murder. What you have not explained is why and how he became such a beloved FLP icon that our former POTUS had no problem rubbing elbows with him? Is that Hoover's fault?
BTW, what happens if the feds eff up the prosecution of the 1/6ers? You gots a problem if some of them become beloved FRC college professors? You gots a problem if some future FRC presidential candidate goes to their house to rub elbows with other FRC types?
The Feds screwed up BIG TIME although it remains to be seen if they could ever link him (or his wife) to any specific criminal activity let alone
murder. He subsequently took up another career in education which was and is totally legitimate. Kindly point out any praise of him by anyone here or anywhere FLP or otherwise.

If you want to make a point about them and the organization you'd be better served with Kathy Boudin and David Gilbert who were both convicted of murder in the Brinks robbery case in New York. Boudin served 20+ years before being paroled in 2003 and, as you may know, is currently an adjunct professor at Columbia. Husband Gilbert was just granted clemency by your hero King Andy Cuomo before he resigned. He is now up for parole after serving 40+ years for felony murder.

His rubbing elbows with former President was also significantly exaggerated (by the McCain campaign) and largely occurred well before Obama ever became involved in national politics but rather when he was involved in local city community organizing in Chicago.
To spin your question back atcha. No body on this forum has ever repudiated Bill Ayers. What is your opinion? You seem to have a non committal attitude. I do know he put his past behind him because as you point out the FBI effed up their case against him. Is he an innocent little lamb or did he get away with murder? That was decades ago. It ain't like it matters anymore. We can concentrate on all those 1/6ers and hope the feds don't screw up their prosecution. How many of those rednecks you think plan on becoming college professors?
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
old salt

Post by old salt »

seacoaster wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:22 am This is what voting GOP means now.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/10/opin ... -coup.html

The more important part of the coup attempt — like legal wrangling in states and the attempts to sabotage the House commission’s investigation of Jan. 6 — is still going strong. These are not separate and discrete episodes but parts of a unitary phenomenon that, in just about any other country, would be characterized as a failed coup d’état.

The attempted coup’s foot soldiers have dug themselves in at state legislatures.
Democracy is a dangerous thing. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

...but take heart, the Deep State will protect us.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

old salt wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:05 pm
seacoaster wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:22 am This is what voting GOP means now.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/10/opin ... -coup.html

The more important part of the coup attempt — like legal wrangling in states and the attempts to sabotage the House commission’s investigation of Jan. 6 — is still going strong. These are not separate and discrete episodes but parts of a unitary phenomenon that, in just about any other country, would be characterized as a failed coup d’état.

The attempted coup’s foot soldiers have dug themselves in at state legislatures.
Democracy is a dangerous thing. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

...but take heart, the Deep State will protect us.
The Dog Walker who used my tax dollars laughs it all off.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:59 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:08 pm Hopefully we can get a Memorial at "Ground Zero" in the Capital for the most tragic event in US history.

That sort of hyperbole, while probably meant sincerely and maybe even justifiably in a particular sense, IMO was egregiously offensive to make on that day. Gross.

On the actual sentiment that it is more shocking to learn that a large portion of America is actually willing to dump democracy, including violently, in some sort of fever swamp delusional insurrection than it is that there are Islamist terrorists seeking to kill Americans and they can indeed do so on our own soil, I guess I'd say that I found both shocking and awful, though I was less surprised (but not less horrified) by the latter revelation of 9-11.

We'd known for quite awhile that there were Islamist/fascist terrorists that wanted to kill us, they'd struck many times, and had even almost succeeded previously in attacking the World Trade Center. Enemies from abroad was understood.

But though we knew for decades that there are lots of potential lone wolf right wing nutcases, and even some small groups of such, and they'd proven enormously dangerous as terrorists, whether antisemitic or antimuslim or racist or anti-government, the notion that the danger of actually losing our democracy was real was really brand new.

I remember in the late 60s/early 70s a radical left wing group that wanted to overthrow the government. That is an era when bombing federal buildings was all the rage in America. Time was very kind to these terrorists. They found real jobs becoming college professors. I bet more than one is "outraged" over the mob actions of January 6. I'm guessing they are mad they never thought about storming the capital back in the day. Maybe time will be just as kind to these protesters. I wonder how many will become college professors? That seems to be the path of least resistance. I wonder if Bill Ayers was upset by these people? One fortunate thing about the Weather underground.. they were not very smart when it came to making bombs.
The difference, cradle, between this example and where we are right now is that the majority of a political Party's members and nearly all of it's apparatus and highest elected leaders believe that Jan 6 was justified, that Trump actually won, that it is fundamental to believe that in order to be a member of that Party...and that Party controls the governments of many of the States.

Back in the '60's and '70's, while there were many in the Dem Party who were anti-war, etc, only a small fringe thought that violence should be used to overthrow the government.

Jan 6, and the Party's reaction to it, has shown us something new and dangerous.
I disagree with you strongly. My own sister back in 1970 was cheering on the attempts of these people to overthrow our government. They did it for years and a piece of chit like Bill Ayers may or may not have been idolized by a former president. The redneck yahoos that stormed our nation's capital were no different than what the weather underground wanted in 1970. Fortunately the dumbasses blew themselves up before they could achieve their goals. An anarchist is an anarchist no matter what side of the political spectrum they fall on. The fact a low life murdering scumbag like Bill Ayers didn't spend the rest of his life in a jail cell. In a freak circus world he becomes a respected college professor adored by every FLP on this forum. How many of those rednecks from Jan. 6 will gain such respectable status?
Interesting to know that an anarchist is who brought the USA Theodore Roosevelt after shooting President William McKinley in 1901 in Buffalo NY.

The reason Ayers never served a jail term is because the FBI screwed up its investigation and prosecution of not only Ayers but many other radicals of the time. Google COINTELPRO....and thank J. Edgar Hoover for its formation in the 1950s.
I have known that info about Bill Ayers for a long time. What you are telling me is that he got away with murder. What you have not explained is why and how he became such a beloved FLP icon that our former POTUS had no problem rubbing elbows with him? Is that Hoover's fault?
BTW, what happens if the feds eff up the prosecution of the 1/6ers? You gots a problem if some of them become beloved FRC college professors? You gots a problem if some future FRC presidential candidate goes to their house to rub elbows with other FRC types?
The Feds screwed up BIG TIME although it remains to be seen if they could ever link him (or his wife) to any specific criminal activity let alone
murder. He subsequently took up another career in education which was and is totally legitimate. Kindly point out any praise of him by anyone here or anywhere FLP or otherwise.

If you want to make a point about them and the organization you'd be better served with Kathy Boudin and David Gilbert who were both convicted of murder in the Brinks robbery case in New York. Boudin served 20+ years before being paroled in 2003 and, as you may know, is currently an adjunct professor at Columbia. Husband Gilbert was just granted clemency by your hero King Andy Cuomo before he resigned. He is now up for parole after serving 40+ years for felony murder.

His rubbing elbows with former President was also significantly exaggerated (by the McCain campaign) and largely occurred well before Obama ever became involved in national politics but rather when he was involved in local city community organizing in Chicago.
To spin your question back atcha. No body on this forum has ever repudiated Bill Ayers. What is your opinion? You seem to have a non committal attitude. I do know he put his past behind him because as you point out the FBI effed up their case against him. Is he an innocent little lamb or did he get away with murder? That was decades ago. It ain't like it matters anymore. We can concentrate on all those 1/6ers and hope the feds don't screw up their prosecution. How many of those rednecks you think plan on becoming college professors?
No real opinion on Ayers one way or the other. He was never charged with any crime and has lived a life since then totally within the law. I don't espouse the views he held during the time he was with the WU. Had Obama not run for President its very unlikely you would have never heard about him

As long as we are talking about such things, how do you feel about Muhammad Ali? Interestingly, unlike Ayers, he was convicted of a crime and only later had the conviction overturned by SCOTUS. Feel the same way about him as you do Ayers?
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Kismet wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:37 pm

No real opinion on Ayers one way or the other. He was never charged with any crime and has lived a life since then totally within the law. I don't espouse the views he held during the time he was with the WU. Had Obama not run for President its very unlikely you would have never heard about him

As long as we are talking about such things, how do you feel about Muhammad Ali? Interestingly, unlike Ayers, he was convicted of a crime and only later had the conviction overturned by SCOTUS. Feel the same way about him as you do Ayers?
Muhammad Ali gave up everything he had worked so hard for to follow his conscience. To my knowledge he was never involved with a nefarious group of individuals who plotted to bomb federal buildings in the USA. Your comparison is really nonsensical. I have always been a huge fan of Muhammad Ali for whatever that is worth.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:08 pm
Kismet wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:37 pm

Muhammad Ali gave up everything he had worked so hard for to follow his conscience. To my knowledge he was never involved with a nefarious group of individuals who plotted to bomb federal buildings in the USA. Your comparison is really nonsensical. I have always been a huge fan of Muhammad Ali for whatever that is worth.
sorry you missed the metaphor in the two cases of Ali and Ayers. Likely the FBI at the time viewed them both as threats to the government and society. They had the goods on Ali (to, at least get him convicted before SCOTUS overturned his case) but they FUBARed the WU cases which resulted in many likely criminals getting off including Ayers and his wife. After all, Ali was connected to the Nation of Islam - another radical organization targeted by the Feds at the time.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Arrest affidavits are increasingly implicating the incitement of the Dear Leader
From January 6-7, SMITH posted, “Got Gassed so many times, turd is spicy but the Adrenaline high and wanting to ‘Get’ Pelosi and those heck, it was bearable.” He also admitted, “Oh yeah. The time will come for some of them. But today’s mission was successful! Remember how they said today was the final day & that Biden would be certified? Well we literally chased them out into hiding. No certification lol [. . .]. Pence cucked like we knew he would but it was an Unbelievable show of force and it did its job.”
"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

No, no, NO! The sky is green. And Elvis is still alive.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2021/09/1 ... ws-videos/
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:04 pm No, no, NO! The sky is green. And Elvis is still alive.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2021/09/1 ... ws-videos/
The police officer could have backed away?
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Judge sentences U.S. Capitol rioter 'QAnon Shaman' to 41 months in prison:

https://www.aol.com/news/u-seeks-four-y ... 25096.html
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:18 pm Judge sentences U.S. Capitol rioter 'QAnon Shaman' to 41 months in prison:

American Democrats are so thirsty for long sentences for non violent offenders, then they wonder how we wind up with a broken carceral state. :roll:
a fan

Post by a fan »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:24 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:18 pm Judge sentences U.S. Capitol rioter 'QAnon Shaman' to 41 months in prison:

American Democrats are so thirsty for long sentences for non violent offenders, then they wonder how we wind up with a broken carceral state. :roll:
Yeah, except it wasn't non violent. Among other things, he was charged with "Violent Entry and Disorderly Conduct in a Capitol Building", which is a Federal Crime.

Having realized this was indeed violent, you'll take back your claim, right, Pete?
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

a fan wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:50 pm

Yeah, except it wasn't non violent. Among other things, he was charged with "Violent Entry and Disorderly Conduct in a Capitol Building", which is a Federal Crime.

Having realized this was indeed violent, you'll take back your claim, right, Pete?

You’re not following this case (if that wasn’t too obvious). Chansley was never even accused of any violent offenses, let alone pled to.

Politico.

54EE20F4-72AB-4FF7-A16D-082656233C49.jpeg
54EE20F4-72AB-4FF7-A16D-082656233C49.jpeg (232.83 KiB) Viewed 1005 times
Last edited by Peter Brown on Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:59 pm

550B38FB-3653-4BB8-9E08-4FACB3FBFA56.jpeg
550B38FB-3653-4BB8-9E08-4FACB3FBFA56.jpeg (232.83 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
old salt

Post by old salt »

:lol: ...he needs the Kenosha prosecutor arguing on his behalf -- who among us hasn't been to a costume party that got a little out of hand ?
a fan

Post by a fan »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:58 pm

You’re not following this case (if that wasn’t too obvious). Chansley was never even accused of any violent offenses, let alone pled to.
I thought you told us that the MSM lies to us, Pete? Yet here you are, citing "Politico", as if they're the definitive source. You change your mind more often than a teenaged squirrel.

Here ya go. You know, from the actual Justice Department. Pay attention to the part marked "Charges". "Violent Entry"....

https://www.justice.gov/usao-dc/defenda ... ob-anthony
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

a fan wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:16 pm

I thought you told us that the MSM lies to us, Pete? Yet here you are, citing "Politico", as if they're the definitive source. You change your mind more often than a teenaged squirrel.

Here ya go. You know, from the actual Justice Department. Pay attention to the part marked "Charges". "Violent Entry"....

Not to mention. Petey that he plead GUILTY to the charges in the case.......and the judge reminded him of the written threat he left on the dais for the sitting Vice President of the United States telling him "Justice is coming"

“What you did was terrible. You made yourself the epitome of the riot,” said the judge, “You didn’t slug anybody, but what you did here was actually obstruct the functioning of the whole government. It’s a serious crime.”

Per the US Attorney - “He’s feet away from the object of his contempt, This note was not peaceful. This note is a threat.”

“That’s nearly three and a half years, so with good behavior, he could be out in time to storm the Capitol in 2024,” - Stephen Colbert :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Kismet on Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

a fan wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:16 pm

Jeebus. That charge you’re referencing is not a ‘violent crime’ statute; its a semantic term. And it was dismissed.

Read the plea.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-dc/case-mu ... 1/download
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:16 pmI thought you told us that the MSM lies to us, Pete? Yet here you are, citing "Politico", as if they're the definitive source.
Plz don't discourage posters from linking free sites. We have enough paywalls to contend with.

Return to “POLITICS”