All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

CU88

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by CU88 »

by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
a fan

Post by a fan »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:29 pm
a fan wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:38 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:25 pm
wgdsr wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:11 pm as this is an all things politics about coronavirus thread, mandates moving to a gop nominated appeals court.

and pfizer dropped their eua application on pills, maybe a week early. review starts end of the month.
1) How long were those pills in development?

2) What are the long term side effects?

3) Is the FDA approving this drug?

4) Is Pfizer going to make any money on it?

5) Is it 100% effective?

6) Is this as effective as Ivermectin?
Pffft. 6 too many, my man.

All you need to know is:

1. Did Joe Rogan take it?

I spent the extra money to send my nomination of Joe Rogan for the Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine via FedEx Overnight, just to make sure it got to Sweden on time.
ok, the sweden part was pretty good.
Thank you. I have my moments. Old Salt gave me a chuckle today, too, so maybe there a light at the end of this tunnel? ;)
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Who's Number One?

You guessed it - the LOON state of Lake Wobegone:

https://media.istockphoto.com/vectors/i ... f_IXjOjsQ=

Minnesota is a hot spot for COVID. The rate of new COVID infections in Minnesota is the worst in the nation. Minnesota hospitals are overwhelmed and staff is running on fumes.

Minnesota A Hot Spot for COVID-19 | https://wjon.com/minnesota-a-hot-spot-f ... m=referral

These right wing Minnesota morons are just so stupid! The governor and everyone else in government did all they could to arrest the spread of the disease but the half witted jackanapes decided that vaxxing and masking is just too tyrannical and too ungodly a thing to do. Now the disease is spreading everywhere and there is no end in sight for its cessation. I'm telling you, if three or four dozen of these idiots were assembled in a room you wouldn't be able to find so much as half a brain among them.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Brooklyn wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:00 pm Who's Number One?

You guessed it - the LOON state of Lake Wobegone:

https://media.istockphoto.com/vectors/i ... f_IXjOjsQ=

Minnesota is a hot spot for COVID. The rate of new COVID infections in Minnesota is the worst in the nation. Minnesota hospitals are overwhelmed and staff is running on fumes.

Minnesota A Hot Spot for COVID-19 | https://wjon.com/minnesota-a-hot-spot-f ... m=referral

These right wing Minnesota morons are just so stupid! The governor and everyone else in government did all they could to arrest the spread of the disease but the half witted jackanapes decided that vaxxing and masking is just too tyrannical and too ungodly a thing to do. Now the disease is spreading everywhere and there is no end in sight for its cessation. I'm telling you, if three or four dozen of these idiots were assembled in a room you wouldn't be able to find so much as half a brain among them.

I thought we blamed governors when states failed?

Also, feel free to come to Florida. No mandate, no masks, lowest Covid rate in the nation.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Michigan's new COVID case rate is now a whopping 10x higher than Florida's. Hospitalization rate is 5x higher. All metrics currently heading in wrong direction.

Have you read a single story in corporate press even lightly critiquing Gretchen Whitmer's "handling of the pandemic"?

Oh, New York. :lol: Yesterday, Vax Pass New York reported 6x more COVID cases (6,235) than Free Florida (1,059).

The “public health mitigations” are working so well up there! Science!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:11 pm I thought we blamed governors when states failed?

Also, feel free to come to Florida. No mandate, no masks, lowest Covid rate in the nation.

Republicans initially voted to approve of the governor's emergency mitigation powers and things got under control. Then those idiots decided to revoke that authority. That's when things got screwed. Thanks for making my point about the Pukies.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:12 pm Michigan's new COVID case rate is now a whopping 10x higher than Florida's. Hospitalization rate is 5x higher. All metrics currently heading in wrong direction.

Have you read a single story in corporate press even lightly critiquing Gretchen Whitmer's "handling of the pandemic"?

Oh, New York. :lol: Yesterday, Vax Pass New York reported 6x more COVID cases (6,235) than Free Florida (1,059).

please learn to post actual stats rather than your made up "facts"

https://www.statista.com/statistics/110 ... -by-state/

Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Brooklyn wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:37 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:12 pm Michigan's new COVID case rate is now a whopping 10x higher than Florida's. Hospitalization rate is 5x higher. All metrics currently heading in wrong direction.

The very CDC disagrees with your Mickey Mouse website.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracke ... klast7days

Also, here’s mandate central Michigan:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 639213002/

Michigan again leads the country in new COVID-19 cases per population over the last seven days, according to tracking data Tuesday from the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Maybe if you shelter in place or strap on 12 masks you’ll stop the seasonality of Covid?
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:27 am
Brooklyn wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:37 pm

The very CDC disagrees with your Mickey Mouse website.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracke ... klast7days

Also, here’s mandate central Michigan:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 639213002/

Michigan again leads the country in new COVID-19 cases per population over the last seven days, according to tracking data Tuesday from the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Maybe if you shelter in place or strap on 12 masks you’ll stop the seasonality of Covid?

Oh, Florida?

“Which U.S. state has the lowest COVID-19 rate right now?

It’s not California, home of America’s strictest mask and vaccine requirements. Nor is it Vermont, even though 71 percent of residents there have been fully inoculated — the most in the country.

No, the state with the fewest daily COVID cases per capita is the same one that recently had more than any other: Florida.”

Headline?

Florida now has America's lowest COVID rate. Does Ron DeSantis deserve credit?

https://news.yahoo.com/florida-now-has- ... 13615.html

Give him the blame when it’s bad, avoid at all costs giving him credit when times are good. :lol: :lol: :lol:
CU88

Post by CU88 »

https://yourlocalepidemiologist.substac ... tm_source=

How vaccines reduce long COVID

Katelyn Jetelina
Nov 17

Long COVID, or medically known as post-acute sequelae SARS-CoV-2 infection (PASC), first came on our radar in Summer 2020. A landmark study described, for the first time, that the morbidity of COVID19 goes far beyond initial infection. Since, studies have estimated between 10-30% adults have symptoms lasting longer than 4 weeks, especially for women and/or for those initially hospitalized for COVID19 (here, here, here). In one meta-analysis, 45 studies found 72% of people (mostly hospitalized) reported at least one symptom for 12+ weeks after initial COVID19 infection.

We don’t really know why long COVID happens. There are at least three hypotheses circulating:

Some people may harbor the virus in an organ, which would be missed by nasal swab. So, people continue to have long COVID symptoms,

Viral pieces stick around in the body causing symptoms for a long time, or

COVID causes the body to start attacking itself (autoimmune type disease).

Another mystery is that some with initial asymptomatic infection mount long COVID down the road. Something (or more likely a combination of somethings) trigger it.

So, what can we do to prevent, or at least reduce, the burden of long COVID?

Vaccines

Before the roll-out, we hypothesized vaccines would prevent infection (and thus prevent long COVID). We also hypothesized vaccines would reduce viral load among breakthrough cases. Vaccines minimize the time the virus is in the body and reduces the number of infectious particles. So, the less virus, the less likelihood of damaging organs, and the less likelihood of long COVID.

Now that vaccines have been around for almost 12 months, the vaccine’s impact on long COVID is starting to surface. And the results are encouraging. There have been three studies thus far.

First study

The first study was published in the New England Journal of Medicine. Scientists investigated breakthrough cases among healthcare workers in Israel from December 19, 2020, to April 28, 2021 (before Delta). They wanted to describe the rate and symptoms of breakthrough cases. What did they find?

Out of 1,497 vaccinated (with Pfizer), there were 39 breakthrough cases

Among the breakthrough cases, 19% had symptoms lasting more than 6 weeks (i.e. long COVID). This included loss of smell, cough, fatigue, weakness, difficulty breathing, and/or muscle pain.

So, long COVID19 can occur with breakthrough cases, but it’s relatively rare. In this study, the rate of long COVID19 among vaccinated was 0.5%.

Second study

A second more recent and much larger study was published in the Lancet. It compared the rates of long COVID19 among vaccinated to unvaccinated adults in the UK. The scientists leveraged a massive sample (1,240,009 adults). They assessed the rate of partially vaccinated breakthrough cases (positive test after 1st dose but before 2nd dose) and rate of fully vaccinated breakthrough cases (positive test after dose 2). They also compared the duration of symptoms among breakthrough cases compared to unvaccinated cases. What did they find?

Of the ~1.2 million adults, there were 6,030 (0.5%) breakthrough cases among partially vaccinated. There were 2,370 (0.2%) cases among fully vaccinated.

The rate of long COVID19 among partially vaccinated breakthrough cases was the same as the rate of long COVID19 among unvaccinated (9.2% vs 10.7%).

The rate of long COVID19 among fully vaccinated breakthrough cases was lower than the rate of long COVID19 among unvaccinated (5.2% vs. 11.4%).

So, this study was consistent with the first: vaccines don’t 100% prevent long COVID19. But, they significantly reduce the chances if fully vaccinated.

Vaccine after long COVID

In addition, some adults with long COVID that then get vaccinated are finding a nice surprise. A study found that ~30% of people with long COVID19 reported getting better with a vaccine (~20% said symptoms got worse; 50% said symptoms stayed the same). When the scientists compared long COVID19 to unvaccinated, there were also promising results:

14.3% of symptoms worsened in unvaccinated individuals compared to 5.6% of vaccinated patients

15.4% of symptoms improved in unvaccinated patients compared to 23.2% of vaccinated patients

So, vaccines help some alleviate long COVID19 after vaccination. Why? We think the vaccine is helping the immune system in one of two ways:

The vaccine clears some of these reservoirs in the organs and essentially eliminates the cause of the problem.

The vaccine reprograms the autoreactive cells. Basically, the vaccine tells the cells that are attacking to stop.

Is this temporary relief? Maybe. Is it a combination of #1 and #2? Likely. An immunologist (Dr. Akiko Iwasaki) said on NPR:

“The fact that not everybody's feeling better after the vaccine indicate that there may be multiple reasons why people are suffering from long COVID.”

What about with children?

These studies did not include children because vaccines haven’t been available for very long. We are at the mercy of time. Studies will be coming, but in the meantime we hypothesize that vaccines will reduce long COVID among kids too.

Excitingly, the National Institutes of Health announced this week the start of the long-term study of children with COVID19 disease. This study will enroll at least 1,000 children ranging from birth to 21 years. The scientists will track the long-term health effects of COVID-19 and attempt to determine risk factors (for example, sex, race/ethnicity, etc.) for complications. They will also assess whether immunological factors influence long-term outcomes.

Bottom Line: Long COVID19 is complex and we have a lot of unanswered questions. However, strong evidence shows that vaccines help and are our best bet at preventing long-term morbidity altogether.

Love, YLE
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:33 am Florida now has America's lowest COVID rate. Does Ron DeSantis deserve credit?

Give him the blame when it’s bad, avoid at all costs giving him credit when times are good. :lol: :lol: :lol:
There really is a story to be told here, one that no one in the media wants to engage in. Meaning, I just heard DC is lifting the mask mandate on Monday, except for school aged children and for some odd reason, libraries. IN any event, the mentioned we are going to have to learn to live with it, and to lo longer call it a pandemic, but an endemic.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:08 am
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:33 am Florida now has America's lowest COVID rate. Does Ron DeSantis deserve credit?

There really is a story to be told here, one that no one in the media wants to engage in. Meaning, I just heard DC is lifting the mask mandate on Monday, except for school aged children and for some odd reason, libraries. IN any event, the mentioned we are going to have to learn to live with it, and to lo longer call it a pandemic, but an endemic.
What's the story?

Florida's had a Covid death rate 80% higher than Minnesota over 20 month period since the pandemic started. Right now, I'm happy to be in Florida given that they had a big 'burn' recently and numbers are currently very low, and certainly Minnesota is going to be in a tough period this winter, but I'd certainly have rather had the leadership of Minnesota's Governor than Florida's over these past 20 months...both have GOP legislatures. In Florida that reinforced stupid decision making by the Governor, in Minnesota that fought good decision making by their Governor.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:52 am
youthathletics wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:08 am

What's the story?

Florida's had a Covid death rate 80% higher than Minnesota over 20 month period since the pandemic started. Right now, I'm happy to be in Florida given that they had a big 'burn' recently and numbers are currently very low, and certainly Minnesota is going to be in a tough period this winter, but I'd certainly have rather had the leadership of Minnesota's Governor than Florida's over these past 20 months...both have GOP legislatures. In Florida that reinforced stupid decision making by the Governor, in Minnesota that fought good decision making by their Governor.
Pandemic vs Endemic...living with it. Everyone is seeing highs and lows.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

... anyone with half a brain knows it corelates with temperature outdoors. Look at the maps plotting case rates per capita. Nice weather moves people outdoors and infection rates drop. :roll:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:23 am ... anyone with half a brain knows it corelates with temperature outdoors. Look at the maps plotting case rates per capita. Nice weather moves people outdoors and infection rates drop. :roll:

Yeah, no one works inside any of the millions of square feet of offices and warehouses in Florida in the winter months. We are all outside, 24 hours a day. :lol:

🤡
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:23 am ... anyone with half a brain knows it corelates with temperature outdoors. Look at the maps plotting case rates per capita. Nice weather moves people outdoors and infection rates drop. :roll:
Are you calling MDLaxfan a halfbrain? ;) :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=1687&p=300425&hilit=neat#p300425
~Livy

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

What's the story?

https://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/op- ... 69526.html

DeSantis’ COVID record is terrible. Lawmakers should remember that at special session | Opinion

Under DeSantis, Florida is among the nation’s and world’s leaders in COVID sickness and death.

So how has Florida fared under DeSantis? Well, measuring from the beginning of the pandemic to the present, Florida’s infection rate was 14th worst and our death rate was eighth worst of the 50 states. The more than 60,000 people who died in Florida represent 281 dead per 100,000 residents. To put it in perspective, if Florida were its own nation (and it’s bigger than most), it would have the 12th worst death rate of the more than 200 countries of the world. So yes, we are better than Bosnia and Mississippi. But nearly every other corner of the globe has had a more effective COVID response.

... If America had Florida’s COVID fatality rate, an additional 171,00 Americans would not be alive to celebrate Thanksgiving this month.

Another thing to consider are the allegations which indicate that Florida has deliberately under reported its casualty counts. The population is four times greater than that of Minnesota (21 million vs 5.5 million). But its covid death count is six times greater (60K vs 9K). Makes you wonder if the gap isn't bigger than reported.

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:33 am
Are you calling MDLaxfan a halfbrain? ;) :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=1687&p=300425&hilit=neat#p300425
:lol:

I'm clear in that post that weather plays a role in when the "dry tinder" gets exposed. But it's the reality of lots of "dry tinder" that's the issue, not simply a re-balancing solely because of weather.

For instance, Florida's prior spike was in the dead of winter. It was no surprise that Delta raged in Florida this summer, given so many people unmasked, unvaccinated, inside during the summer, but it's the dry tinder that's the issue, not the weather.

Likewise, there remain large pockets of unvaccinated people susceptible throughout the country...add to these the reality that the vaccine efficacy wanes after 6 months and boosters haven't been pushed nearly as much as the initial vaccination...yet we need to get boosted.

And some areas (counties) continue to have lots of mask resistance as well...so, of course there's going to be spread when things get cold and people congregate, including the vax resistors.

And local (State) leadership and policies matter a lot to which areas have high "dry tinder". Florida's State leadership has been particularly awful, though some of the local folks have been trying hard.

But sure, COVID, for at least awhile (years), is going to be endemic, a fact of life to which we need to adjust...meaning getting boosted periodically (unless and until they figure out a longer lasting shot), rapid testing and quick access to easy, safe therapeutics (coming). And we'll need to where masks when in dense, inside situations. Much akin to how Asia did it pre pandemic.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

They already put all their eggs in the Pfizer basket, but they need to push the Moderna.
Better staying power.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:02 am

What's the story?

https://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/op- ... 69526.html

DeSantis’ COVID record is terrible. Lawmakers should remember that at special session | Opinion

Under DeSantis, Florida is among the nation’s and world’s leaders in COVID sickness and death.

So how has Florida fared under DeSantis? Well, measuring from the beginning of the pandemic to the present, Florida’s infection rate was 14th worst and our death rate was eighth worst of the 50 states. The more than 60,000 people who died in Florida represent 281 dead per 100,000 residents. To put it in perspective, if Florida were its own nation (and it’s bigger than most), it would have the 12th worst death rate of the more than 200 countries of the world. So yes, we are better than Bosnia and Mississippi. But nearly every other corner of the globe has had a more effective COVID response.

... If America had Florida’s COVID fatality rate, an additional 171,00 Americans would not be alive to celebrate Thanksgiving this month.

Another thing to consider are the allegations which indicate that Florida has deliberately under reported its casualty counts. The population is four times greater than that of Minnesota (21 million vs 5.5 million). But its covid death count is six times greater (60K vs 9K). Makes you wonder if the gap isn't bigger than reported.
If you are not considered a permanent resident of Florida, you are also not in the count.
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”