Looking Forward to 2022

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Looking Forward to 2022

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

seacoaster wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:41 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:11 am Will anyone crack the Top 4 of BC, NC, NU or Syracuse next season? I give Stony Brook a chance. After reading Innovator Joe's comments in a recent article, I find Spallina's outlook on his '22 edition compelling. Who else could push their way into the Top 4? Notre Dame? Duke? Maryland? Florida? Loyola? This question is aimed at championship weekend, but even during the regular season would be nice for a little change.
I say "no way" SBU cracks the top four. I'd guess SBU ends up around No. 7 or 8.
Think anyone out there has a shot? Any dark horse predictions? Stony Brook is mine.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:47 am
seacoaster wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:41 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:11 am Will anyone crack the Top 4 of BC, NC, NU or Syracuse next season? I give Stony Brook a chance. After reading Innovator Joe's comments in a recent article, I find Spallina's outlook on his '22 edition compelling. Who else could push their way into the Top 4? Notre Dame? Duke? Maryland? Florida? Loyola? This question is aimed at championship weekend, but even during the regular season would be nice for a little change.
I say "no way" SBU cracks the top four. I'd guess SBU ends up around No. 7 or 8.
Think anyone out there has a shot? Any dark horse predictions? Stony Brook is mine.
I think if I was picking a dark horse to break up the four you mention, it would be Loyola or Maryland.
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

My darkhorse for the final 4 in 2022 is JMU. The Dukes return most of their team led by goalie Molly Docherty, play a great zone defense in front of her and have recruited well. Most of their offense returns and every year, they seem to get hot when it matters. The problem has been the tournament committee pairing them with a regional opponent, usually too early and against UNC, who at the time is usually ranked #1. Not too many people want to play JMU as they always have a chip on their shoulders, never getting the hot named recruits that the blue bloods get. The culture is strong and they know how to win. Every since 2018, they are a tough out.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

livelovelax wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:34 pm My darkhorse for the final 4 in 2022 is JMU. The Dukes return most of their team led by goalie Molly Docherty, play a great zone defense in front of her and have recruited well. Most of their offense returns and every year, they seem to get hot when it matters. The problem has been the tournament committee pairing them with a regional opponent, usually too early and against UNC, who at the time is usually ranked #1. Not too many people want to play JMU as they always have a chip on their shoulders, never getting the hot named recruits that the blue bloods get. The culture is strong and they know how to win. Every since 2018, they are a tough out.
Good post; I always overlook the Dukes.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

livelovelax wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:34 pm My darkhorse for the final 4 in 2022 is JMU. The Dukes return most of their team led by goalie Molly Docherty, play a great zone defense in front of her and have recruited well. Most of their offense returns and every year, they seem to get hot when it matters. The problem has been the tournament committee pairing them with a regional opponent, usually too early and against UNC, who at the time is usually ranked #1. Not too many people want to play JMU as they always have a chip on their shoulders, never getting the hot named recruits that the blue bloods get. The culture is strong and they know how to win. Every since 2018, they are a tough out.
Does your daughter play for JMU? You also thought they were the best team at Loyola last weekend.

JMU is a great program but you definitely seem to have an affinity for them. :)
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

I have an afinity for JMU and like their grit. I also think that Loyola and Maryland will be in the mix for the final four. I think Richmond will shock some schools this year, between 15-20 in the rankings. Saw Virginia Tech too and liked what they showed so watch for them, although the ACC schedule will be a guantlet for them and UVA.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

livelovelax wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:27 pm I have an afinity for JMU and like their grit. I also think that Loyola and Maryland will be in the mix for the final four. I think Richmond will shock some schools this year, between 15-20 in the rankings. Saw Virginia Tech too and liked what they showed so watch for them, although the ACC schedule will be a guantlet for them and UVA.
If it's true that Leubecker hurt her knee that really is a hit to MD's chances. Hopefully if she did as reported here it's not major.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

livelovelax wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:27 pm I have an afinity for JMU and like their grit. I also think that Loyola and Maryland will be in the mix for the final four. I think Richmond will shock some schools this year, between 15-20 in the rankings. Saw Virginia Tech too and liked what they showed so watch for them, although the ACC schedule will be a guantlet for them and UVA.

You really didn't answer hmmm's question. Do you have a daughter that plays at JMU? Dr. Tact, the guy whose name I won't mention, and others admit to their bias for or against teams and they all cop to having a Daughter on a team. If you do, state it loud and proud!
Lots of teams have Grit like DENVER, JACKSONVILLE, PENN, STONY BROOK, DREXEL and none of them get "the hot named recruits that the Blue Bloods get". All have overcome their limitations and have propelled themselves into the top 20. I'm sure you probably have a little more respect for programs that get those upper echelon players, but don't win it all consistently. I look for effort and growth by coaches and players over a period of time. You may not get that as often as you should with the high level player, and that will manifest itself on the field.
"Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard" - Tim Notke
OuttaNowhereWregget

hmmm wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:28 pm If it's true that Leubecker hurt her knee that really is a hit to MD's chances. Hopefully if she did as reported here it's not major.
That's a true statement. The team will feel her absence if she doesn't play in '22. Women's lacrosse keeps injuries top secret in most cases. I hope we hear confirmation on Leubecker's status soon.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

LarryGamLax wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:24 pm
"Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard" - Tim Notke
Great quote.
OuttaNowhereWregget

In looking forward to 2022, I’ve been mulling how intense the D1 women’s lacrosse season is. So many games jammed into less than 4 months (not complaining, mind) is a very intensive period of time. And no doubt next season will have more games televised/streamed (with better quality broadcasts on the whole, I’ll wager) than ever before to make the experience of being a fan even more intense. Less than 3 months away! Bring it on!
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

As stated on this site the regular season is a long grind for players and the preseason is long and tough as well. Word in the lax community is that the best player at NW has potentially a season ending injury. Heartbreaking situation for any player and that team.
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

Lax101 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:15 pm As stated on this site the regular season is a long grind for players and the preseason is long and tough as well. Word in the lax community is that the best player at NW has potentially a season ending injury. Heartbreaking situation for any player and that team.
This is correct. I heard about this the day of her injury but didn’t want to be the one to bring it up (not that you’re wrong for posting). She had ACL surgery this week. Very sad for this young lady but I’m sure she’ll come back stronger than ever.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Justalaxdad wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:18 pm
Lax101 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:15 pm As stated on this site the regular season is a long grind for players and the preseason is long and tough as well. Word in the lax community is that the best player at NW has potentially a season ending injury. Heartbreaking situation for any player and that team.
This is correct. I heard about this the day of her injury but didn’t want to be the one to bring it up (not that you’re wrong for posting). She had ACL surgery this week. Very sad for this young lady but I’m sure she’ll come back stronger than ever.
Her absence from some of the more recent publicity posts has been conspicuous. This makes sense.
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:27 pm
Her absence from some of the more recent publicity posts has been conspicuous. This makes sense.
Happened last Friday against Notre Dame.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

I heard about it too the other day but didnt want to put it out there. This will be a tough one for NU. Shes a great player and even nicer person. Makes BC/NU first game of the season def a little less "must see event" and hurts their chances to go far in playoffs. She has that much impact for her teaM. Was upset when I heard. Always the biggest fear as a parent.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Laxfan500 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:30 pm
I heard about it too the other day but didnt want to put it out there. This will be a tough one for NU. Shes a great player and even nicer person. Makes BC/NU first game of the season def a little less "must see event" and hurts their chances to go far in playoffs. She has that much impact for her teaM. Was upset when I heard. Always the biggest fear as a parent.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Well said on BC/NU. Fully agree that it hurts the Wildcats chances of going far in the playoffs. Their advantage over Maryland just took a huge blow. Might be a fair fight now. NU does have some great players. It will be interesting to see how this affects Coykendall. She and Izzy were developing real chemistry last season.

May I ask -- why do teams keep injuries so secret? I haven't seen injuries kept under wraps like this in other sports.
Bart

Post by Bart »

That is too bad. Hope there is a full and speedy recovery
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:54 pm
Well said on BC/NU. Fully agree that it hurts the Wildcats chances of going far in the playoffs. Their advantage over Maryland just took a huge blow. Might be a fair fight now. NU does have some great players. It will be interesting to see how this affects Coykendall. She and Izzy were developing real chemistry last season.

May I ask -- why do teams keep injuries so secret? I haven't seen injuries kept under wraps like this in other sports.
I don’t think they’re trying keeping it secret. It’s not a mainstream sport so it’s not like there’s an injury report they have to follow. It just is what it is. Really the only thing they could do is put it on social media but IMO that would be weird. Another parent told me about it the day it happened and it didn't seem like they were worried about it getting out.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”