All things Chinese CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

wgdsr

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by wgdsr »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:03 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:36 am Not sure I saw this one: https://nypost.com/2021/08/30/texas-man ... gi2ggytdmy

It’s old news.
... would have said take some ivermectin, but he did. Probably not a big enough dose. :roll:
congrats on 30k jhu. well done. didn't see it coming.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

... 30k what?

PS - I now see, the thread "All things CoronaVirus" broke through 30 K total posts. Had lots of help, didn't do it all by myself. :lol:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:01 am ... 30k what?

PS - I now see, the thread "All things CoronaVirus" broke through 30 K total posts. Had lots of help, didn't do it all by myself. :lol:
ha.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/11/germany ... rning.html
germany's case rates have gone parabolic in the last couple weeks.

their covid numbers still very favorable vs western countries, and they've handled waves before, hopefully for them it isn't a long lasting one with winter coming.

us case rates have stopped dropping. and maybe turned up.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

We recall yesterday that someone posted a Newsweek Article how Florida had the lowest per capita new infection rate. After a little research I discovered that was not strictly true (like anyone should be surprised). Florida did not have the lowest in the database, in fact two US Territories in the NY Times Database were lower, American Samoa and Puerto Rico. Florida was 3rd, tied with Hawaii. This is based on a daily 14 day moving average, information conveniently left out of the article. At the same time totally missing from any discussion of Florida's success was the fact that Florida's Hospitalization Rate (again 14 day daily moving average) was 11th in the data base of US states and possessions. Very commendable considering where they were a month or even a few weeks earlier. There is one other statistic in the database, the Average Daily Death Rate, again the same averaging technique is used. Florida was dead last in this statistic. Worse than every state and territory. Their average was 24% worse that the next worst state, California, and 5 times higher death rate than the US average.

This is the effect of Florida's abnormal data collection policies.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:40 am We recall yesterday that someone posted a Newsweek Article how Florida had the lowest per capita new infection rate. After a little research I discovered that was not strictly true (like anyone should be surprised). Florida did not have the lowest in the database, in fact two US Territories in the NY Times Database were lower, American Samoa and Puerto Rico. Florida was 3rd, tied with Hawaii. This is based on a daily 14 day moving average, information conveniently left out of the article. At the same time totally missing from any discussion of Florida's success was the fact that Florida's Hospitalization Rate (again 14 day daily moving average) was 11th in the data base of US states and possessions. Very commendable considering where they were a month or even a few weeks earlier. There is one other statistic in the database, the Average Daily Death Rate, again the same averaging technique is used. Florida was dead last in this statistic. Worse than every state and territory. Their average was 24% worse that the next worst state, California, and 5 times higher death rate than the US average.

You mean Puerto Rico and American Samoa came in first?!?? :lol:

Are those two states btw? Cause I think I said best state. :lol:

🙈
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:34 am https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/11/germany ... rning.html

their covid numbers still very favorable vs western countries, and they've handled waves before, hopefully for them it isn't a long lasting one with winter coming.

When do we think global health authorities will stop with the mandatory mask nonsense? Covid proves time and again that it doesn’t care about masks.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:34 am https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/11/germany ... rning.html

I wonder where we are with the ct value in testing....is it a standard across the globe?
I also wonder if flu numbers are on the rise again, with cv-19 dying down and less mask wearing throughout.

Maybe we are chasing our tail?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

The huge non-delta spike started early November a year ago and lasted through early March. Could be a simple explanation of wintertime. We'll see.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:10 pm

When do we think global health authorities will stop with the mandatory mask nonsense? Covid proves time and again that it doesn’t care about masks.
i'm guessing by global you mean international as everybody makes their own rules. and local within that, typically.

the back and forth will continue until waves become smaller (everybody's baseline is your mileage may vary).

and that is likely a function of vaxx, any other immunity and a lack of escaping/better variants.

mask fatigue is on the populace of anywhere global, not the authorities. they just need to hold a presser.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:41 pm

i'm guessing by global you mean international as everybody makes their own rules. and local within that, typically.

the back and forth will continue until waves become smaller (everybody's baseline is your mileage may vary).

and that is likely a function of vaxx, any other immunity and a lack of escaping/better variants.

mask fatigue is on the populace of anywhere global, not the authorities. they just need to hold a presser.

I think it’s deeper than just masks, and I also think we do ourselves a disservice by not making those who make bad decisions accountable.

Germany and the Netherlands have had ‘Covid passports and Covid passes’ for the past few months, and both countries are now about to go into lockdown because their cases are rising fast.

Covid is indifferent to masks, and lockdowns. It simply makes it easier to catch Covid by being locked inside homes with your family and friends.

The people are catching on. We have vaccines for those who are compromised, we have medication to save lives (monoclonal), and we are about to have pills. Do not lock down and do not use masks unless you are compromised, it is the best way to generate herd immunity. And these are facts now supported by senior professionals at the NIH, among others places. I won’t list those links again.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:40 am We recall yesterday that someone posted a Newsweek Article how Florida had the lowest per capita new infection rate. After a little research I discovered that was not strictly true (like anyone should be surprised). Florida did not have the lowest in the database, in fact two US Territories in the NY Times Database were lower, American Samoa and Puerto Rico. Florida was 3rd, tied with Hawaii. This is based on a daily 14 day moving average, information conveniently left out of the article. At the same time totally missing from any discussion of Florida's success was the fact that Florida's Hospitalization Rate (again 14 day daily moving average) was 11th in the data base of US states and possessions. Very commendable considering where they were a month or even a few weeks earlier. There is one other statistic in the database, the Average Daily Death Rate, again the same averaging technique is used. Florida was dead last in this statistic. Worse than every state and territory. Their average was 24% worse that the next worst state, California, and 5 times higher death rate than the US average.

Hopefully the trajectory really is sharply down, but it's definitely greatly exaggerated by the data methods that Florida uniquely uses. On the flip side, we won't see the upturn, if there is one, until much later because of these methods.

But we have some actual disinformation on masks and vaccines also getting spread on this thread. And the poster knows it.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:09 pm

🙈
Yes, the Newsweek Article said first state. But then referenced the NY Times data base. Cherry picking the data in that database. Neither you nor the article said boo about the absolutely terrible death rate, clearly cherry picking data. That data does not support your case about how great Florida is doing. It is overall a lie, fraud. :roll: :roll:
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:52 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:41 pm

I think it’s deeper than just masks, and I also think we do ourselves a disservice by not making those who make bad decisions accountable.

Germany and the Netherlands have had ‘Covid passports and Covid passes’ for the past few months, and both countries are now about to go into lockdown because their cases are rising fast.

Covid is indifferent to masks, and lockdowns. It simply makes it easier to catch Covid by being locked inside homes with your family and friends.

The people are catching on. We have vaccines for those who are compromised, we have medication to save lives (monoclonal), and we are about to have pills. Do not lock down and do not use masks unless you are compromised, it is the best way to generate herd immunity. And these are facts now supported by senior professionals at the NIH, among others places. I won’t list those links again.
i see it as being very difficult to know the right way to handle things with so many variables shooting in different directions. and a dearth of data, even though there's data everywhere. so maybe good data. we're in a pandemic, after all.

so "global health authorities" will continue to lean into what they believe will help best (or probably not hurt) the short term results. and worry about intermediate and long term later. whether gut instinct has to play a factor as well to get there.

my gig is i'd like even in those circumstances for the powers that be to be maximizing and utilize what we do know and direct accordingly. i believe it'd gain more confidence from the people for the asks they want to make.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:04 pm

Hopefully the trajectory really is sharply down, but it's definitely greatly exaggerated by the data methods that Florida uniquely uses. On the flip side, we won't see the upturn, if there is one, until much later because of these methods.

But we have some actual disinformation on masks and vaccines also getting spread on this thread. And the poster knows it.
... I don't really think there is any question the infection rate is down. If data collection / date assignment was done the way every other state and territory does it, would the rate be as low as DeathSantis claims, I highly doubt it. Florida treating their data the way they do, has no other purpose than to make comparison impossible to peers - because they known they are inferior in an apples to apples comparison.

I'll be surprised if we do not have a significant surge in the coming months. This isn't over. Perhaps by spring.
Last edited by jhu72 on Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:12 pm

🙈
Yes, the Newsweek Article said first state. But then referenced the NY Times data base. Cherry picking the data in that database. Neither you nor the article said boo about the absolutely terrible death rate, clearly cherry picking data. That data does not support your case about how great Florida is doing. It is overall a lie, fraud. :roll: :roll:

In addition to Florida having the lowest case rate per capita in the country, the 2nd-lowest hospital rate per capita in the country, both ICU and hospital census continues to be the lowest Florida has seen since the early weeks of the pandemic in March 2020.

Meanwhile Vermont, Colorado, Germany, The Netherlands, etc….
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:20 pm

I wonder where we are with the ct value in testing....is it a standard across the globe?
I also wonder if flu numbers are on the rise again, with cv-19 dying down and less mask wearing throughout.

Maybe we are chasing our tail?
i doubt or haven't heard of a universal testing standard. with flu season just starting, don't think we know what will or has come about.

more masks than pre-covid (did that help for flu?) but less contact. more awareness on similar symptoms and avoidance. plus there were all those flu cases (and motorcycle accidents) that were classified as covid last year.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:39 pm

🙈

In addition to Florida having the lowest case rate per capita in the country, the 2nd-lowest hospital rate per capita in the country, both ICU and hospital census continues to be the lowest Florida has seen since the early weeks of the pandemic in March 2020.

... another lie. It is 10th in the NY Times database. If you subtract out all territories in the database (not clear this is necessary), they are no better than 5th by state.

I believe this is the best Florida has looked in a long time. That is not the issue, it is the spinning of comparison to other states.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:14 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:39 pm

🙈

... another lie. It is 10th in the NY Times database. If you subtract out all territories in the database (not clear this is necessary), they are no better than 5th by state.

I believe this is the best Florida has looked in a long time. That is not the issue, it is the spinning of comparison to other states.
Exactly.

I don't know anyone, certainly not within my sphere, who has been or is now rooting for Florida to do badly in any dimension, but most especially in the hospitalizations and deaths.

These are real lives we're talking about, it doesn't matter where in the world or who the policy decision makers are.

But trying to spin Florida's experience to date as some sort of relative success, and moreover to spin that as a policy success, is preposterous.

It's been really, really bad, especially the last 6 months, and to date 8th worst in US, and that puts it worse than every developed country, large and small. I haven't see a solid hypothesis that would explain why Florida's outcomes have been so bad, on a relative basis, other than policy choices. Maybe there is one?

Thankfully a good current trajectory.
But the best hypothesis for that is that after a raging bonfire crescendoing in August, people are more outside than before and the virus is waning...for now. Hopefully for good, but there are a number of factors we just don't know as yet that could allow for another bad wave.

But what we do know is that Florida's data reporting system won't really show that until several weeks into the upturn, which also means that policy adjustments, or simply voluntary population reaction - be more careful, if needed, will be late.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Interesting chart about how mask mandates ‘work’ (or not)

73EEA575-ED8A-433C-B6FE-97D57F646618.jpeg
73EEA575-ED8A-433C-B6FE-97D57F646618.jpeg (232.96 KiB) Viewed 705 times

Return to “POLITICS”