Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:48 pm Interesting point about the '22 class - not a single player with "A" listed next to their name. Though I guess Marquis may project there?
Highlight videos are highlight videos but Collison, Marquis, Iler and Billings look to have some potential
Marquis is an attackman. Don't know why IL lists him as a middie but in the social media unveiling today JHU correctly has him pegged as an attackman. He was arguably the best offensive player in the state of New Jersey this spring and the leading point scorer for the state champs. Attackman through and through.

Collison could play either. Or both.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

ohmilax34 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:30 pm A lot of good players moved on from college lacrosse last spring, so next season feels very much up for grabs. Maryland returns a lot. Virginia returns a lot. Duke and Notre Dame return quite a bit. UNC's midfield was decimated by graduation. Johns Hopkins' offense looks like it could be one of the best in the country next season. They have a lot of different weapons, they look unselfish and they look like they understand what the coach wants them to do. However, I did notice during the Hobart scrimmage video (thanks HOB!) that there were very few scoring plays involving a lefty attackman. Regardless of who fills that role, they'll have a top 5 attack unit, because that's how good Desimone and Epstein look right now.

The JHU fogos look good and I have a feeling that Koesterer's defense will come together. I really know nothing about the goalies, but I'm guessing they'll find one that they can win with.

I'm predicting an NCAA quarterfinal appearance for JHU in the spring.
I think that’s a very achievable goal for the 2022 Blue Jays. Difficult to know because of the tough schedule, but very optimistic. Certainly seems the players are optimistic and eager based on the reported “exit interviews” following the 2021 season.

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:24 pm NLI is today and Collison and Marquis are officially signed. Nice job from the staff keeping this class together — the sharks were circling on some of these guys, including from one school for which a certain legendary former Hopkins head coach is now an assistant. (Not accusing him or that staff of anything nefarious, just pointing out that would have been quite the story line.) Getting Brooks English to flip from Brown was the cherry on top for what looks like a solid first full class from PM and co. Things could have gone a lot worse for a new staff (now coming off a 4-9 season) but I think most kids are smart enough to see the potential of this new direction at Homewood.
Hopefully, Charlie Iler signed or will sign.
Iler is definitely an interesting recruit.
Iler would be one of the higher profile recruits out of
San Ramon Valley High (CA), the Terps’ Pete Worstell started up
that lacrosse program in 2001.
They’ve had good, solid impact players recruited to DI programs,
Mike Tagliaferri at UNC, Pete Tagliaferri at Georgetown, Austin
French at Denver, Drew Erikson at Denver, two brothers who were
solid defensemen on those Michael Sowers teams at Princeton —
and, other good players recruited to good programs who couldn’t
quite make the transition to D1 lacrosse.

I suspect Charlie Iler is in the former category.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

10stone5 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:43 am
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:24 pm NLI is today and Collison and Marquis are officially signed. Nice job from the staff keeping this class together — the sharks were circling on some of these guys, including from one school for which a certain legendary former Hopkins head coach is now an assistant. (Not accusing him or that staff of anything nefarious, just pointing out that would have been quite the story line.) Getting Brooks English to flip from Brown was the cherry on top for what looks like a solid first full class from PM and co. Things could have gone a lot worse for a new staff (now coming off a 4-9 season) but I think most kids are smart enough to see the potential of this new direction at Homewood.
Hopefully, Charlie Iler signed or will sign.
Iler is definitely an interesting recruit.
Iler would be one of the higher profile recruits out of
San Ramon Valley High (CA), the Terps’ Pete Worstell started up
that lacrosse program in 2001.
They’ve had good, solid impact players recruited to DI programs,
Mike Tagliaferri at UNC, Pete Tagliaferri at Georgetown, Austin
French at Denver, Drew Erikson at Denver, two brothers who were
solid defensemen on those Michael Sowers teams at Princeton —
and, other good players recruited to good programs who couldn’t
quite make the transition to D1 lacrosse.

I suspect Charlie Iler is in the former category.
One of the Roberts brothers is still at Princeton.
“I wish you would!”
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Final | Johns Hopkins-72, Salisbury-52
Delaney with a career high 37 points, including #1000
Quarry with 15 pts, 6 boards

Delaney - what a stud. Just amazing.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

I don't think I appreciated at the time how impressive Delaney was for us. The kid basically walked in off the street and became the #1 LSM (yes there were some depth issues there, but still) and an impact player. 39 GBs, 12 CTs, 5 pts in 13 games are solid numbers for anyone let alone someone who hadn't played competitive lacrosse in four years. Special athlete.

Scrimmage AT Denver Jan. 29 is official: https://denverpioneers.com/news/2021/11 ... edule.aspx

The Pios should offer to fly HOB out first class
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

nyjay wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:41 am Final | Johns Hopkins-72, Salisbury-52
Delaney with a career high 37 points, including #1000
Quarry with 15 pts, 6 boards

Delaney - what a stud. Just amazing.
Had Delaney played lacrosse from his freshman year onward, I think he could have developed into one of the finest LSMs in college lacrosse. Will be interesting to see if he continues his athletic career after college.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

He's 23 for45 total field goals and 11 for 25 from 3 pt range - hard to argue he's not a great athlete
If hoops didn't so significantly overlap with lacrosse - Hopkins basketball is likely playing into late Feb - Feb 19 is the earliest - I wonder if PM would have left a light on at the inn for him. I assume he could play both sports but I can never keep those rules straight
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:51 pm He's 23 for45 total field goals and 11 for 25 from 3 pt range - hard to argue he's not a great athlete
If hoops didn't so significantly overlap with lacrosse - Hopkins basketball is likely playing into late Feb - Feb 19 is the earliest - I wonder if PM would have left a light on at the inn for him. I assume he could play both sports but I can never keep those rules straight
if he isn't/wasn't allowed to return, that's a pretty dumb decision. imo.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Somebody will probably correct me, but I do not think he could get an athletic scholarship for lax and play D-III BBall in the same academic year.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Let me be clear - I am not suggesting in any way the lacrosse coaches have said or done anything with regards to Delaney. Given the fact that the earliest Hopkins basketball is over is Feb 19 - the lacrosse team will likely have played 4 maybe even 5 games - then there's practice acclimation - fairness to the LSMs that have been there the entire time etc - it doesn't even seem remotely possible. I was just wistfully wondering if - for example - basketball ended Jan 31 or something like that - would that change the equation. I think we have established that he is not receiving any DI scholarship money - so I don't think that's an issue. After 4-4.5 months of basketball the last thing Connor probably wants to see is a lacrosse stick.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

This was from March:
Delaney is scheduled to graduate in May with a bachelor’s in applied mathematics and statistics and will enroll at the Carey Business School in its one-year Master of Science in Finance program. He intends to join his basketball teammates for the 2021-22 season, saying, “Basketball is definitely still in my future.” Would he return to lacrosse next spring?

“I would definitely consider it,” he said. “I’m going to cross that bridge when I get to it.
I’m just going to enjoy this season as much as I can and enjoy being with this group of guys and not get too far ahead of myself in that regard.”
https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/col ... story.html

If that's right then he should technically still be eligible to play lax again in 2022. But as 51 said, it's highly unrealistic. Who knows, maybe we have some injuries at the position and need help there come March and he's feeling up to it. But I'd say the chances are very slim. To be honest I have no idea what the rules are for guys coming in midseason. If there were even a 1% possibility he'd join in late Feb/March, would they have to list him on the roster when the season officially starts Feb. 5? Or can you just add a guy to the team in the middle of your season? Probably a pointless discussion because I doubt this will happen, but am curious.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:32 pm Let me be clear - I am not suggesting in any way the lacrosse coaches have said or done anything with regards to Delaney. Given the fact that the earliest Hopkins basketball is over is Feb 19 - the lacrosse team will likely have played 4 maybe even 5 games - then there's practice acclimation - fairness to the LSMs that have been there the entire time etc - it doesn't even seem remotely possible. I was just wistfully wondering if - for example - basketball ended Jan 31 or something like that - would that change the equation. I think we have established that he is not receiving any DI scholarship money - so I don't think that's an issue. After 4-4.5 months of basketball the last thing Connor probably wants to see is a lacrosse stick.
If he's starting the year d3 he's already lined up his finances for the season and I'd take him no questions asked whenever he wants to grab a stick and gobble gbs. He knows lyne, mcmanus, martin, lilly, mabett, prouty, pretty well already. Someone smarter than me can explain what advantages or unique physical challenges a d3 basketball player might present to rival lacrosse teams. The issue has always been kids recruited to Hop as d1 athletes w $ then turning to d3 sports as well not vice versa as the situation is here. He's one of the better stories of the past decade along w/ kaestners sr year revelation and fraser and others.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:42 pm This was from March:
Delaney is scheduled to graduate in May with a bachelor’s in applied mathematics and statistics and will enroll at the Carey Business School in its one-year Master of Science in Finance program. He intends to join his basketball teammates for the 2021-22 season, saying, “Basketball is definitely still in my future.” Would he return to lacrosse next spring?

“I would definitely consider it,” he said. “I’m going to cross that bridge when I get to it.
I’m just going to enjoy this season as much as I can and enjoy being with this group of guys and not get too far ahead of myself in that regard.”

If that's right then he should technically still be eligible to play lax again in 2022. But as 51 said, it's highly unrealistic. Who knows, maybe we have some injuries at the position and need help there come March and he's feeling up to it. But I'd say the chances are very slim. To be honest I have no idea what the rules are for guys coming in midseason. If there were even a 1% possibility he'd join in late Feb/March, would they have to list him on the roster when the season officially starts Feb. 5? Or can you just add a guy to the team in the middle of your season? Probably a pointless discussion because I doubt this will happen, but am curious.
If Delaney is eligible and wants to rejoin the lacrosse team after the basketball season is over, then I’m pretty certain PM and JK would find a way. Delaney already knows the defensive scheme and sounds like he just needs a week of practice to get back in form.

@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:42 pm This was from March:

there's no issue with adding a student.

a while back but inside the last decade, uva was playing unc and the tarheels had just pulled up a goalie from the club team as they'd just lost all their depth there. would've been cool to see if he'd gotten in and made a few saves.

many moons ago our hoop team needed depth for practice and brought a guy in. he eventually got in a few games. and several years ago, they elevated the team manager. he got in and drilled a 3 pointer or 2.

most recently in the last week or 2 mike leach, facetiously or not, pulled a dic*ish move in a post-game presser with an apb out for a kicker from the student body.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

It's a fine off-season topic but it is not as simple as "finding a way". One assumes there is a Centennial Conference Hoops tournament which takes hoops into the end of February - then if they are any good they might find themselves in the DIII overall tournament which means like in 2019/20 season they end up playing through March 6 - that takes you through the middle of March before you could put him on the field. That just doesn't seem realistic or fair to the kids that have been there since the fall and have taken you through possibly 7/8 games. While he has certainly given one something to think about with his performance without a fall season and not playing competively for a few years - even he would be challenged coming off the court with absolutely no practice. Hopkins has 6 players listed at LSM - it isn't like the cupboard is nominally bare.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:32 pm Let me be clear - I am not suggesting in any way the lacrosse coaches have said or done anything with regards to Delaney. Given the fact that the earliest Hopkins basketball is over is Feb 19 - the lacrosse team will likely have played 4 maybe even 5 games - then there's practice acclimation - fairness to the LSMs that have been there the entire time etc - it doesn't even seem remotely possible. I was just wistfully wondering if - for example - basketball ended Jan 31 or something like that - would that change the equation. I think we have established that he is not receiving any DI scholarship money - so I don't think that's an issue. After 4-4.5 months of basketball the last thing Connor probably wants to see is a lacrosse stick.
not saying there's some huge percentage chance, but he's probably been going from basketball to lacrosse his whole life. this wouldn't be any different other than the stage he's at in his life. not sure how we'd know which way the wind blows, but sounds like he hasn't ruled it out.

probably come down to both sides' willingness. there's only 1 month + elapsed and as much as 3 months still to go.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:03 pm
not saying there's some huge percentage chance, but he's probably been going from basketball to lacrosse his whole life. this wouldn't be any different other than the stage he's at in his life. not sure how we'd know which way the wind blows, but sounds like he hasn't ruled it out.

probably come down to both sides' willingness. there's only 1 month + elapsed and as much as 3 months still to go.
I recall there was a football player at Maryland one year who ended up joining the lacrosse team for like one game in the middle of the season. For some reason he got out of spring football practice. I think he was a senior or something. He played SSDM but he like joined the lacrosse team right in the middle of the season and actually played in a game.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:28 am
wgdsr wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:03 pm

I recall there was a football player at Maryland one year who ended up joining the lacrosse team for like one game in the middle of the season. For some reason he got out of spring football practice. I think he was a senior or something. He played SSDM but he like joined the lacrosse team right in the middle of the season and actually played in a game.
Even if it’s April 2022 and Delaney, the team, and the coaches want him back on the roster … and the rules permit it … then I suspect he returns to the team. Lots of contingencies there, but if adding Delaney in April means the Blue Jays will have his services for a potential playoff run, they should go for it.

@DocBarrister
molo

Post by molo »

Julian Gary?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”