All things Chinese CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

Typical Lax Dad

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:28 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:12 pm
jhu72 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:36 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:12 pm
jhu72 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:50 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:36 pm
jhu72 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:52 pm
ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:40 pm
jhu72 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:18 am ... there is no amount of money that could persuade me to move to Florida, even if Goebbels moved out of state. :lol: Colorado would be a very different conversation. But not planning on going anywhere.
Not even to Del Boca Vista Phase II?
... don't know what that is. Been to Florida for a half dozen business trips and two family vacations. Never been attracted to the place. Generally don't care for beaches, like mountains a lot.
I am sooo super psyched for spending a week at the Disney resort next Feb!

Actually I am excited if only for my kids who haven’t been there but aside from wishing I could take shrooms and go on
It’s a Small World ride over and over and over again I personally would rather get an enema. Unfortunately Disney will be placing a money enema in me for that trip so I lose that way as well.
... hear ya. Kids been to Disney World, Universal and Busch Gardens (Tampa) for vacation. Frankly I prefer Busch Gardens in Williamsburg to all three. Of the three I think my kids preferred Universal at the time.
Me too on Busch Gardens, been to that very one when I went with my mother and grandmother on a trip to colonial Williamsburg twice way back when. But..I just introduced my kids to roller coasters and related rides at a carnival and showed my son the Busch gardens website and they aren’t ready for those rides yet based their reactions.
... all of my kids are roller coaster aficionados - all now in their 30s. From their youngest visits they loved them. The youngest drove my wife crazy not being tall enough for a long time while the boys and I rode them. We used to plan family vacations around amusement parks with the best coasters. The boys when old enough to drive would take weekend trips to amusement parks (do to this day, sister now joins them). Oldest son is a civil engineer. He discovered his love for civil engineering because of his love for roller coasters.

We did Busch Gardens Williamsburg every year from the time the boys were old enough to ride through to high school.
Have you visited Cedar Point?
... oldest son has. Loved it. I have not.
Ok. I can’t take rollercoasters. Only rode them because my son wanted to ride them…. Cedar Point is rollercoaster capitol of the states. My best friend’s son worked there this past Summer.
“I wish you would!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:33 pm
jhu72 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:28 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:12 pm
jhu72 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:18 am ... there is no amount of money that could persuade me to move to Florida, even if Goebbels moved out of state. :lol: Colorado would be a very different conversation. But not planning on going anywhere.
... don't know what that is. Been to Florida for a half dozen business trips and two family vacations. Never been attracted to the place. Generally don't care for beaches, like mountains a lot.

Actually I am excited if only for my kids who haven’t been there but aside from wishing I could take shrooms and go on
It’s a Small World ride over and over and over again I personally would rather get an enema. Unfortunately Disney will be placing a money enema in me for that trip so I lose that way as well.
... hear ya. Kids been to Disney World, Universal and Busch Gardens (Tampa) for vacation. Frankly I prefer Busch Gardens in Williamsburg to all three. Of the three I think my kids preferred Universal at the time.
Me too on Busch Gardens, been to that very one when I went with my mother and grandmother on a trip to colonial Williamsburg twice way back when. But..I just introduced my kids to roller coasters and related rides at a carnival and showed my son the Busch gardens website and they aren’t ready for those rides yet based their reactions.
... all of my kids are roller coaster aficionados - all now in their 30s. From their youngest visits they loved them. The youngest drove my wife crazy not being tall enough for a long time while the boys and I rode them. We used to plan family vacations around amusement parks with the best coasters. The boys when old enough to drive would take weekend trips to amusement parks (do to this day, sister now joins them). Oldest son is a civil engineer. He discovered his love for civil engineering because of his love for roller coasters.

We did Busch Gardens Williamsburg every year from the time the boys were old enough to ride through to high school.
Have you visited Cedar Point?
... oldest son has. Loved it. I have not.
Ok. I can’t take rollercoasters. Only rode them because my son wanted to ride them…. Cedar Point is rollercoaster capitol of the states. My best friend’s son worked there this past Summer.
... think my son would agree with your assessment.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:22 pm

I will never get father of the year for this..... I told my kids that Disney was more for teenagers when they were younger, then as they got older I told them it was changed for young kids. I hate crowds, especially with the little ones in tow....for me it would have been anxiety filled trip, I'd rather flush 2k down the drain.
February. We go to Disneyland every year. No crowds. Nice and cool. And our Gin is served in the Grand Californian Hotel, which is where we stay. If you forget how much Mickey is taking out of your wallet, it’s great!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:30 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:00 pm
jhu72 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:50 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:40 pm

That’s cool. They’ll get their share for sure. There’s a six flags just outside of town (west siiide) but I had to con my son into a couple a month or so ago and he liked them but have to ease him in. My daughter is not the most adventuresome person but I’ll get her there if I have to do some emotional manipulation.
Get the oldest boy hooked, the girl will follow.

Think we have been to Six Flags outside Atlanta, way back when we were doing a vacation through Tennesse, Alabama, Georgia and South Carolina. Kids (and Dad) were also big civil war history fans.
Would make sense as it’s Douglasville basically right off I20 which takes you straight into Birmingham AL.

Your son should go check out a spot called Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen. Oldest working roller coaster in the world (I believe). And painful as hell like getting into a car wreck with the bumps and janky nature of it. But still pretty cool and a beautiful park in the middle of the city not far from their central station.

https://www.tivoligardens.com/en/haven- ... tschebanen
... I've been, the summer of 1973 when I was biking around Europe for 3 months.
Please tell me you men’s motorcycle instead of Tour de France biking
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Senior NIH expert pushes back on growing vaccine mandates

Matthew Memoli favors vaccinations in vulnerable populations but argues population level vaccination could hinder the development of a natural, robust immunity gained through infection.

https://thehill.com/changing-america/we ... ng-vaccine
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

a fan wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:40 pm

I will never get father of the year for this..... I told my kids that Disney was more for teenagers when they were younger, then as they got older I told them it was changed for young kids. I hate crowds, especially with the little ones in tow....for me it would have been anxiety filled trip, I'd rather flush 2k down the drain.
February. We go to Disneyland every year. No crowds. Nice and cool. And our Gin is served in the Grand Californian Hotel, which is where we stay. If you forget how much Mickey is taking out of your wallet, it’s great!
We’re going in Feb. around that presidents week where school is off
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:11 pm

That’s cool. They’ll get their share for sure. There’s a six flags just outside of town (west siiide) but I had to con my son into a couple a month or so ago and he liked them but have to ease him in. My daughter is not the most adventuresome person but I’ll get her there if I have to do some emotional manipulation.

Think we have been to Six Flags outside Atlanta, way back when we were doing a vacation through Tennesse, Alabama, Georgia and South Carolina. Kids (and Dad) were also big civil war history fans.
Would make sense as it’s Douglasville basically right off I20 which takes you straight into Birmingham AL.

Your son should go check out a spot called Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen. Oldest working roller coaster in the world (I believe). And painful as hell like getting into a car wreck with the bumps and janky nature of it. But still pretty cool and a beautiful park in the middle of the city not far from their central station.

This Tivoli Gardens?!!

“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:15 pm

This Tivoli Gardens?!!

Not quite. Though id take Jamaican food over danish food every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Tivoli (Copenhagen)
Language
Watch
Edit
For other uses, see Tivoli.
Tivoli, also known as Tivoli Gardens, is an amusement park and pleasure garden in Copenhagen, Denmark. The park opened on 15 August 1843 and is the third-oldest operating amusement park in the world,[3] after Dyrehavsbakken in nearby Klampenborg, also in Denmark, and Wurstelprater in Vienna, Austria.

Aerial photo of the park
With 4.6 million visitors in 2017,[2] Tivoli is the most visited amusement park in Scandinavia and second-most popular seasonal amusement park in the world after Europa-Park. Tivoli is also the fifth-most visited amusement park in Europe, behind Disneyland Park, Europa-Park, Walt Disney Studios Park and Efteling. It is located in downtown Copenhagen, next to the Central rail station.

History Edit

Learn more
This section needs additional citations for verification. (August 2012)
The amusement park was first called "Tivoli & Vauxhall";[4] "Tivoli" alluding to the Jardin de Tivoli in Paris (which in its turn had been named after Tivoli near Rome, Italy), and "Vauxhall" alluding to Vauxhall Gardens in London. It is mentioned in various books, such as Number the Stars by Lois Lowry, and was also used prominently in the 1961 science fiction film Reptilicus.

Tivoli's founder, Georg Carstensen (b. 1812 – d. 1857), obtained a five-year charter to create Tivoli by telling King Christian VIII that "when the people are amusing themselves, they do not think about politics". The monarch granted Carstensen use of roughly 15 acres (61,000 m2) of the fortified glacis outside Vesterport (the West Gate) for an annual rent. Until the 1850s Tivoli was outside the city, accessible from the city only through the Vesterport.

From its beginning Tivoli included a variety of attractions: buildings in the exotic style of an imaginary Orient: a theatre, band stands, restaurants and cafés, flower gardens, and mechanical amusement rides such as a merry-go-round and a primitive scenic railway. After dark, colored lamps illuminated the gardens. On certain evenings, specially designed fireworks could be seen reflected in Tivoli's lake, a remnant of the moat surrounding the city fortifications.

Composer Hans Christian Lumbye (b. 1810 – d. 1874) was Tivoli's musical director from 1843 to 1872. Lumbye was inspired by Viennese waltz composers such as the Strauss family (Johann Strauss I and his sons), and became known as the "Strauss of the North". Many of his compositions are specifically inspired by the gardens, including "Salute to the Ticket Holders of Tivoli", "Carnival Joys" and "A Festive Night at Tivoli". The Tivoli Symphony Orchestra still performs many of his works.

Tivoli's pirate ship, c. 1900
In 1874, a Chinese-style Pantomimeteatret (pantomime theatre) took the place of an older smaller theatre. The audience stands in the open, the stage being inside the building. The theatre's "curtain" is a mechanical peacock's tail. From the very beginning, the theatre was the home of Italian pantomimes, introduced in Denmark by the Italian Giuseppe Casorti. This tradition, dependent on the Italian Commedia dell'Arte, has been kept alive; it portrays the characters Cassander (the old father), Columbine (his beautiful daughter), Harlequin (her lover), and, especially popular with the youngest spectators, the stupid servant Pierrot. The absence of spoken dialogue is an advantage, for Tivoli is now an international tourist attraction.

In the late 19th and early 20th century, Tivoli also hosted human exhibitions.[5]

In 1943, Nazi sympathisers burnt many of Tivoli's buildings, including the concert hall, to the ground. Temporary buildings were constructed in their place and the park was back in operation after a few weeks.[6][page needed]

Tivoli is always evolving without abandoning its original charm or traditions. Georg Carstensen said in 1844: "Tivoli will never, so to speak, be finished", a sentiment echoed just over a century later when Walt Disney said of his own Tivoli-inspired theme park, "Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world".

In Icelandic, Danish, Norwegian and Swedish, the word tivoli has become synonymous with any amusement park.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

... nope bicycling.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:13 pm Senior NIH expert pushes back on growing vaccine mandates

Matthew Memoli favors vaccinations in vulnerable populations but argues population level vaccination could hinder the development of a natural, robust immunity gained through infection.

We should do that for smallpox, some natural immunity would be terrific.

Good lord.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:27 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:13 pm Senior NIH expert pushes back on growing vaccine mandates

Good lord.

Are you implying this senior NIH researcher isn’t bright?

https://www.niaid.nih.gov/research/matt ... moli-md-ms
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Good lord.
He works on flu vaccines, for which there isn't a mandate...but then again, flu kills 15-30k a year, whereas Covid...
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:19 pm

This Tivoli Gardens?!!

Not quite. Though id take Jamaican food over danish food every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Tivoli (Copenhagen)
Language
Watch
Edit
Tivoli, also known as Tivoli Gardens, is an amusement park and pleasure garden in Copenhagen, Denmark. The park opened on 15 August 1843 and is the third-oldest operating amusement park in the world,[3] after Dyrehavsbakken in nearby Klampenborg, also in Denmark, and Wurstelprater in Vienna, Austria.

Aerial photo of the park
With 4.6 million visitors in 2017,[2] Tivoli is the most visited amusement park in Scandinavia and second-most popular seasonal amusement park in the world after Europa-Park. Tivoli is also the fifth-most visited amusement park in Europe, behind Disneyland Park, Europa-Park, Walt Disney Studios Park and Efteling. It is located in downtown Copenhagen, next to the Central rail station.

History Edit

Learn more
The amusement park was first called "Tivoli & Vauxhall";[4] "Tivoli" alluding to the Jardin de Tivoli in Paris (which in its turn had been named after Tivoli near Rome, Italy), and "Vauxhall" alluding to Vauxhall Gardens in London. It is mentioned in various books, such as Number the Stars by Lois Lowry, and was also used prominently in the 1961 science fiction film Reptilicus.

Tivoli's founder, Georg Carstensen (b. 1812 – d. 1857), obtained a five-year charter to create Tivoli by telling King Christian VIII that "when the people are amusing themselves, they do not think about politics". The monarch granted Carstensen use of roughly 15 acres (61,000 m2) of the fortified glacis outside Vesterport (the West Gate) for an annual rent. Until the 1850s Tivoli was outside the city, accessible from the city only through the Vesterport.

From its beginning Tivoli included a variety of attractions: buildings in the exotic style of an imaginary Orient: a theatre, band stands, restaurants and cafés, flower gardens, and mechanical amusement rides such as a merry-go-round and a primitive scenic railway. After dark, colored lamps illuminated the gardens. On certain evenings, specially designed fireworks could be seen reflected in Tivoli's lake, a remnant of the moat surrounding the city fortifications.

Composer Hans Christian Lumbye (b. 1810 – d. 1874) was Tivoli's musical director from 1843 to 1872. Lumbye was inspired by Viennese waltz composers such as the Strauss family (Johann Strauss I and his sons), and became known as the "Strauss of the North". Many of his compositions are specifically inspired by the gardens, including "Salute to the Ticket Holders of Tivoli", "Carnival Joys" and "A Festive Night at Tivoli". The Tivoli Symphony Orchestra still performs many of his works.

In 1874, a Chinese-style Pantomimeteatret (pantomime theatre) took the place of an older smaller theatre. The audience stands in the open, the stage being inside the building. The theatre's "curtain" is a mechanical peacock's tail. From the very beginning, the theatre was the home of Italian pantomimes, introduced in Denmark by the Italian Giuseppe Casorti. This tradition, dependent on the Italian Commedia dell'Arte, has been kept alive; it portrays the characters Cassander (the old father), Columbine (his beautiful daughter), Harlequin (her lover), and, especially popular with the youngest spectators, the stupid servant Pierrot. The absence of spoken dialogue is an advantage, for Tivoli is now an international tourist attraction.

In the late 19th and early 20th century, Tivoli also hosted human exhibitions.[5]

In 1943, Nazi sympathisers burnt many of Tivoli's buildings, including the concert hall, to the ground. Temporary buildings were constructed in their place and the park was back in operation after a few weeks.[6][page needed]

Tivoli is always evolving without abandoning its original charm or traditions. Georg Carstensen said in 1844: "Tivoli will never, so to speak, be finished", a sentiment echoed just over a century later when Walt Disney said of his own Tivoli-inspired theme park, "Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world".

In Icelandic, Danish, Norwegian and Swedish, the word tivoli has become synonymous with any amusement park.
I was joking…. I would like to go to Copenhagen. My daughter may have visited there in 2019. Did you see The Danish Girl, BTW?
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:32 pm

Good lord.

I'm sure he's "bright" on research...he works on very novel vaccine platform research on influenza...not Covid, not diseases that kill 10X of what flu. But flu...

Is this "just another flu" Doc?

From the article Petey linked:

“I do vaccine trials. I, in fact, help create vaccines,” he told WSJ. “Part of my career is to share my expert opinions, right or wrong.…I mean, if they all end up saying I’m wrong, that’s fine. I want to have the discussion.”

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) published new findings last month that suggest vaccines are the most effective protection against the virus.

The data in the study “demonstrate that vaccination can provide a higher, more robust, and more consistent level of immunity to protect people from hospitalization for COVID-19 than infection alone for at least 6 months.”

The right answer would actually be to get vaccinated, survive the infection if you get it. Either way, more immunity than simply getting infected and way lower chance of being hospitalized or dying...
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:34 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:19 pm

This Tivoli Gardens?!!

Tivoli (Copenhagen)
Language
Watch
Edit

Aerial photo of the park

History Edit

Learn more

I was joking…. I would like to go to Copenhagen. My daughter may have visited there in 2019. Did you see The Danish Girl, BTW?
Have not seen the danish girl. City is beautiful. I regret that Christiania is gone for condos but such is life. The women, even the pregnant women there…let’s just say my neck hurt more from that sightseeing then it did from that damned roller coaster in tivoli. Fall in love every five seconds. They all looks like blond or brunette versions fo the princess from the kingsman.

Christiania was awesome.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnn.co ... index.html
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Btw, I may still be a notch or two below you on the father scale. I was explaining the “Turkey Syndrome” to my kids the other day so they’d understand not to fall into the problem of induction and keep randomness in mind. Since then my daughter has been going around going “turkeys think they get fed every day and the kn on thanksgiving morning they get their heads chopped off!” while doing basically the Braves tomahawk chop with her hand and smiling…

*Turkey syndrome - https://theturkeyproblem.com/2018/06/16 ... y-problem/
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Bart

Post by Bart »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:35 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:32 pm

Good lord.

I'm sure he's "bright" on research...he works on very novel vaccine platform research on influenza...not Covid, not diseases that kill 10X of what flu. But flu...

Is this "just another flu" Doc?

From the article Petey linked:

“I do vaccine trials. I, in fact, help create vaccines,” he told WSJ. “Part of my career is to share my expert opinions, right or wrong.…I mean, if they all end up saying I’m wrong, that’s fine. I want to have the discussion.”

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) published new findings last month that suggest vaccines are the most effective protection against the virus.

The data in the study “demonstrate that vaccination can provide a higher, more robust, and more consistent level of immunity to protect people from hospitalization for COVID-19 than infection alone for at least 6 months.”

The right answer would actually be to get vaccinated, survive the infection if you get it. Either way, more immunity than simply getting infected and way lower chance of being hospitalized or dying...
So is it your view that the CDC and NIH need not have this conversation? If that is the case I completely disagree with that position. That is how this entire thing is supposed to work.
Typical Lax Dad

Not sure I saw this one: https://nypost.com/2021/08/30/texas-man ... gi2ggytdmy

It’s old news.
“I wish you would!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:36 am Not sure I saw this one: https://nypost.com/2021/08/30/texas-man ... gi2ggytdmy

It’s old news.
... would have said take some ivermectin, but he did. Probably not a big enough dose. :roll:

Return to “POLITICS”