All things Chinese CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

MDlaxfan76

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:37 am Florida is the 8th worst in infections per 100,000 this morning. Someone is playing games with statistics. The article does not indicate what period of time over which the measurement was taken. They don't point to the claimed New York Times data set or article while pointing to a landing page for the New York Times. This is fraudulent Newsweek nonsense.
I believe the Statista data is measured from beginning of pandemic. Florida is indeed 8th worst.

They do appear to be low infections right now, having had a really awful last 6 months, but trending better right now.
(always with the caveat that it's difficult to trust Florida's reporting, given their attempts to game it).
But looks good.

Remains to be seen whether there will be more large waves in Florida; but there probably will (eventually) be unless vaccinations get up.

There's definitely going to be a wave, already started, in colder states at least in the specific pockets of population with low vaccination rates...also remains to be seen how long lasting the immune resistance will be from vaccinations; booster take up etc...gonna help if they get these pill remedies readily available.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:45 am
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:34 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:12 am
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:33 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:11 am Florida, Center of COVID Mandate Resistance, Has Lowest Infection Levels in U.S.
BY KHALEDA RAHMAN ON 11/9/21 AT 10:29 AM EST

https://www.newsweek.com/florida-centre ... ls-1647396
I think I recall some posters here telling us that desantis was the devil himself when cases were rising. Doesn’t he deserve the same ‘accountability’ treatment now that Florida basically has no Covid? Hello? Anyone there? Ferris? :lol:
#8 in deaths per 1MM. Last 6 months might be #1.

Vermont and New Hampshire both set their hospitalization "records" today.

While Vermont is 'only' 50% higher per capita than Florida, which has one of the lowest rates in the country, New Hampshire is about 3x higher. Maine is only 9 off their own 'record' while also 3x higher.

Colorado also continues to climb. They're at the highest number of hospitalizations they've had in all of 2021 (1,442). They reached 1,867 as their own high back in December of 2020.

If you're wondering, Florida currently has the third lowest rate in the country at 5.9 hospitalized behind Hawaii (4.0) and Massachusetts (5.7).
The worst seems to be behind Florida. It wasn’t easy but the state has gotten over the hump. Thankfully.

You’re actually incorrect, if you don’t mind me saying. We will get hit again in a few months. It’s the nature of this virus.

But where we are better than others is recognizing the waves and seasonality of Covid. You don’t need masks (they don’t do squat), and only immuno-compromised persons should get vaccines. Desantis has been eerily correct on every decision he’s made.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:49 am
jhu72 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:37 am Florida is the 8th worst in infections per 100,000 this morning. Someone is playing games with statistics. The article does not indicate what period of time over which the measurement was taken. They don't point to the claimed New York Times data set or article while pointing to a landing page for the New York Times. This is fraudulent Newsweek nonsense.
I believe the Statista data is measured from beginning of pandemic. Florida is indeed 8th worst. -- that is correct.

They do appear to be low infections right now, having had a really awful last 6 months, but trending better right now.
(always with the caveat that it's difficult to trust Florida's reporting, given their attempts to game it).
But looks good.

Remains to be seen whether there will be more large waves in Florida; but there probably will (eventually) be unless vaccinations get up.

There's definitely going to be a wave, already started, in colder states at least in the specific pockets of population with low vaccination rates...also remains to be seen how long lasting the immune resistance will be from vaccinations; booster take up etc...gonna help if they get these pill remedies readily available.
The question is, over what period of time is the Newsweek claim accurate? 1 day, 1 hour, 1 week, 1 month??? The article doesn't say. Don't argue infections are lower now than they were a month ago.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

So "correct", that Florida has the 8th highest deaths per million population and top 3 worst in past year.

Moreover, Florida's deaths per million pop is worse than ANY other developed country in the world.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:57 am So "correct", that Florida has the 8th highest deaths per million population and top 3 worst in past year.

Moreover, Florida's deaths per million pop is worse than ANY other developed country in the world.

And still 1,000 Americans every day choose to move here. Amazing.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:56 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:49 am
I believe the Statista data is measured from beginning of pandemic. Florida is indeed 8th worst. -- that is correct.

But looks good.

The question is, over what period of time is the Newsweek claim accurate? 1 day, 1 hour, 1 week, 1 month??? The article doesn't say. Don't argue infections are lower now than they were a month ago.
Yes, that's one of Florida's differences in reporting. As the data comes in, they allocate it to the period earlier (correctly) but as a result vastly undercount the present because that data is not yet in...so, it makes the downturn look much steeper, while it will miss the upturn if there is one.

And then when comparing with other states that report data as of the day received, they will always look lower than a true comparison.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Aaron Rogers is not only brilliant, but he dates a girl who comes to his defense with perhaps the greatest reply ever.

"Literally ya'll need to calm the f--k down. This is straight-up HILARIOUS. news outlets still grasping at straws to disparage Aaron," she wrote on her Instagram Story along with the photo from the report. "Finding random f--king man on the streets of LA and saying it's him."

She went on to say how familiar Rodgers' body was to her and that the man in the picture wasn't him. The "Fault In Our Stars" actress even hinted that Rodgers' penis size was bigger.

"I know Aaron's body. VERY well. First off, his feet, ahem and no offense to this random dude, are a LOT bigger. ;)" Woodley added.

Genius level. A-aron is clearly in god territory.

https://www.ibtimes.com/shailene-woodle ... 3?ft=b90u9
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:57 am So "correct", that Florida has the 8th highest deaths per million population and top 3 worst in past year.

Florida did a bang up job.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:59 am

Yup, nice weather, greying of America. Baby boom retirements.
Which bring jobs to service and take care of all those grey hairs.

But you might want to look at Florida's growth rate over time, which has been plummeting according to most recent census.

Since we've been doing some comparisons with Colorado:

Colorado added almost a million new residents — 774,518 — between 2010 and 2020, growing the state's population by 14.8% to 5.8 million residents. Percentage-wise, the state's population growth is among the highest in the nation, topped only by Idaho, Nevada, Utah and Texas.

And that's a much younger influx, with Colorado's median age of 36, whereas Florida is 41.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:01 am

And apparently he thinks so too...thinks he's being "crucified" according to this lovely story.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

... there is no amount of money that could persuade me to move to Florida, even if Goebbels moved out of state. :lol: Colorado would be a very different conversation. But not planning on going anywhere.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:11 am
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:59 am

Yup, nice weather, greying of America. Baby boom retirements.
Which bring jobs to service and take care of all those grey hairs.

But you might want to look at Florida's growth rate over time, which has been plummeting according to most recent census.

Since we've been doing some comparisons with Colorado:

Colorado added almost a million new residents — 774,518 — between 2010 and 2020, growing the state's population by 14.8% to 5.8 million residents. Percentage-wise, the state's population growth is among the highest in the nation, topped only by Idaho, Nevada, Utah and Texas.

And that's a much younger influx, with Colorado's median age of 36, whereas Florida is 41.

People living longer as well. Please note that.

I’d also add that my eyes see a younger population now beginning to migrate to Florida. You see it everyday.

Also, in that same time span, Florida added 2.7 million new residents, a majority clearly Republican.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states ... ical-clout
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Yes...I know of 4 families in the last 2-3 years that have said eff it.....we are moving out of MD and heading to Florida, all of them in their late 40's early 50's.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:24 am Yes...I know of 4 families in the last 2-3 years that have said eff it.....we are moving out of MD and heading to Florida, all of them in their late 40's early 50's.
... they were most likely just trying to get away from you ;)
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:28 am
youthathletics wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:24 am Yes...I know of 4 families in the last 2-3 years that have said eff it.....we are moving out of MD and heading to Florida, all of them in their late 40's early 50's.
... they were most likely just trying to get away from you ;)
:lol: Nice one. Thanks for the laugh.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

From your article:

Some 1,000 new residents moved to Florida from other states every day in recent years, an overwhelming number of them retirees lured by sunshine, low taxes and a more-relaxed culture, said Rich Doty, a demographer with the Bureau of Economic and Business Research at the University of Florida.

They’re coming to retire, and those demographics tend to be older, white Republicans," he said.

The last redistricting effort, which added two congressional seats, languished in court for years after challenges from the League of Women Voters of Florida and other groups. They argued that the Republican-drawn maps violated a 2010 voter-approved ballot measure that sought to prohibit gerrymandering favoring one party and overly protecting incumbents.

The maps also concentrated communities of color to reduce their broader influence.

So, sure, I would expect Florida to deepen red during this next 20 years, as most of the rest of the country turns blue. Younger and more diverse. And Florida's GOP will do everything they can to tilt the playing field in their favor through gerrymandering as long as possible.

Much of Florida, outside of urban areas, is incredibly mundane, gross conformity, packed in. Lower middle class to middle class white retirees. Sure, heavily Republican. And of course, the very affluent stretches, which are actually more balanced typically in partisan leanings.

For instance, the gated community we're in, almost but not entirely white, upper socioeconomic probably breaks about 60-40 now, post Trumpism, with Trumpists the 40...but they are closer to 80-20 in registrations, R heavily. I'm leaving out the I's which there some of course as well. The socio-economics are part of it, but also that this particular community attracted people who are more outdoorsy, appreciate the environment, not just the golf course...much lower density than neighboring communities, won Audubon awards, etc. Founder was a Dartmouth guy, who attracted many of his buddies. Big midwestern crowd, Canada etc.

But the political stuff skews most heavily right among the 75+ crowd, whereas the 55+ which are moving in replacing the oldest are much more likely to have more liberal views. Not much far left in this crowd, though, some solid feminism...moderate liberal and moderate conservative...we do see the occasional full-on MAGA but Jan 6 seems to have greatly dampened the enthusiasm be loud and obnoxious. It'll be interesting to hear the chatter this winter...I understand that right now the "debate" is between the 80+ year olds who don't want the revamp of all dining, with big expansion outdoors, outdoor bar etc, because of the assessment..."younger" folks (55-75) think that's ridiculous...at least it's not about Trump!
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

I started noticing two things.

1. Schools, private and public, began bursting at the seams about 7 years ago.

2. Even in ‘older’ communities like Naples or Sarasota, there has been an explosion in younger oriented clubs and bars, about 3 years ago.

Yes, retirees come to Florida as they have always done, but the numbers of younger people coming here now are off the charts.

People vote with their feet. Truth.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:18 am ... there is no amount of money that could persuade me to move to Florida, even if Goebbels moved out of state. :lol: Colorado would be a very different conversation. But not planning on going anywhere.
You know you like the clothing optional foam parties in Key West.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:15 am
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:01 am

And apparently he thinks so too...thinks he's being "crucified" according to this lovely story.
Noticing a pattern

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=59eHp5m3wAE

Ain't nothin' gonna to break my stride
Nobody gonna slow me down, oh no
I got to keep on movin'
Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride
I'm running and I won't touch ground
Oh no, I got to keep on movin'
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“These vaccines defanged the virus for the majority of individuals. That is a wonderful thing,” said Monica Gandhi, an infectious-disease doctor at the University of California at San Francisco. “The endgame of coronavirus is to make it into a circulating respiratory virus that does not cause severe disease, and then we live with it.”
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”