Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

D1 Womens Lacrosse
seacoaster

Re: Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

Post by seacoaster »

Bart wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:50 pm
hmmm wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:27 am https://twitter.com/CoachQ88/status/1455565143887155202
I’ve really enjoyed how in wlax teams don’t poach each other’s committed recruits. Guess the young coaches really want the madness that comes without honoring commitments and trying to flip kids. This is a sad day for wlax. At least we still beat them on the field. It’s the principal and integrity of the coaches that bother me. I understand this has been going on in men’s lacrosse and other sports for quite some time. I just really enjoyed the way it was. There is no going back now, once teams go down this road recruiting is forever changed
What a terrible look for Brice Queener here.

This was an academic decision for this player. Not to mention the fact that she wasn't poached. Also leaving out that the 2022s committed during a pandemic and couldn't even visit schools. If you have an opportunity to go to Stanford instead of Denver you do so 100% of the time. Lacrosse is over in 4 years.

And to make a petty statement like "at least we still beat them on the field"....What a lax bro comment.
wanna be big time college sports? Welcome to big time college sports problems.................
And maybe remember the old axiom: when in doubt, shut up.

And its corollary: you should usually have some doubts.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

hmmm wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:27 am https://twitter.com/CoachQ88/status/1455565143887155202
I’ve really enjoyed how in wlax teams don’t poach each other’s committed recruits. Guess the young coaches really want the madness that comes without honoring commitments and trying to flip kids. This is a sad day for wlax. At least we still beat them on the field. It’s the principal and integrity of the coaches that bother me. I understand this has been going on in men’s lacrosse and other sports for quite some time. I just really enjoyed the way it was. There is no going back now, once teams go down this road recruiting is forever changed

This was an academic decision for this player. Not to mention the fact that she wasn't poached. Also leaving out that the 2022s committed during a pandemic and couldn't even visit schools. If you have an opportunity to go to Stanford instead of Denver you do so 100% of the time. Lacrosse is over in 4 years.

And to make a petty statement like "at least we still beat them on the field"....What a lax bro comment.

Okay hmmm, here's my question for you : Do you know the EXACT circumstances as to how or why this happened? I was recently involved in a situation, on this Forum, somewhat similar to this. I was attacked and assailed and I'm fine. I responded to Brice on Twitter just to say that poaching has been going on in Women's Lax for quite a while. John Sung got hammered for doing something that some people deemed 'unethical', but was not illegal(no rules in the NCAA Manual). Meanwhile, a bunch of other 'ethical' people were doing the same thing while pointing the finger at JS. "Hypocrites, you plow the field of the top 20 with your plow shears made from falsehoods and broken promises". :x
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

LarryGamLax wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:18 pm

Okay hmmm, here's my question for you : Do you know the EXACT circumstances as to how or why this happened? I was recently involved in a situation, on this Forum, somewhat similar to this. I was attacked and assailed and I'm fine. I responded to Brice on Twitter just to say that poaching has been going on in Women's Lax for quite a while. John Sung got hammered for doing something that some people deemed 'unethical', but was not illegal(no rules in the NCAA Manual). Meanwhile, a bunch of other 'ethical' people were doing the same thing while pointing the finger at JS. "Hypocrites, you plow the field of the top 20 with your plow shears made from falsehoods and broken promises". :x
Yes. I know the EXACT circumstances as to how and why this happened. If I didn't I wouldn't be as upset as I am about Brice's actions. The 2022s were recruited during Covid and she didn't play for a big name club and therefore she had limited options. The player initiated contact with Stanford who then watched her play this past summer and offered her. Stanford was always her dream school ACADEMICALLY. She is a straight A student with very high SAT scores. Brice knows this. Danielle didn't "poach" his player. And for him to include a comment about Denver beating Stanford the last time they played has me wondering who the adult is. The one calling out a high school girl on social media or the one who made the best decision for herself, her education and her future?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Post doesnt exist anymore....what was said? Just what you quoted above?
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

It has been going on at least since our family went through the process ... my daughter committed back when there were no rules and did so in February of her sophomore year in high school. Fall/winter of sophomore year was a common timeline back then. Her future college coach told her full class of recruits fall of their junior year in HS while they were on campus for camp "when they call you, you call me". When her college coach was fired July before she was due to arrive on campus for freshman year she got multiple calls, all asking her to make a change.

I have always imagined that each coach/program has its own ethics/policy for these types of actions. And I imagine in the small community that is college lax coaches, the biggest downside is making enemies among your peers.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:51 pm

All is good. Liza took care of the situation which is not surprising.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

Yup,'22's did not get campus visits so I imagine there is going to be a lot of flipping/transferring from this group. Isn't she still just verbally committed at this point? It's Stanford for pete's sake and her dream school. Good for her. Agreed it was a bod look by Queener. Go ahead and feel that way, don't blast it publicly. Assumed HC Kelly would take a "delete that please" approach.

I was told CW's father was opinionated about the talent his DD would be surrounded by up north and pulled said commitment after a camp.If that is accurate, I think he was wrong. I'm being very forthright here - so I'm sure I'll get blasted. I never liked the middle schooler is going to SU angle of this and the way USLacrosse hyped her non stop. That being said I'm sure she's a great kid, definitely a talented lacrosse player and can't control someone else's content. I for one was so happy the recruiting rules changed. One of my favorite players committed to a top 5 school before freshman year- never playing a varsity game. She is now riding the bench. She loves the school and her team but it's a shame because she could def contribute elsewhere and is disappointed by the lack of pt.
Bart

Post by Bart »

hmmm wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:30 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:51 pm

All is good. Liza took care of the situation which is not surprising.
the real sad part were some replies from a another/former D1 coach (don't know if he has a new gig or not)
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

tothedraw wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:00 pm Yup,'22's did not get campus visits so I imagine there is going to be a lot of flipping/transferring from this group. Isn't she still just verbally committed at this point? It's Stanford for pete's sake and her dream school. Good for her. Agreed it was a bod look by Queener. Go ahead and feel that way, don't blast it publicly. Assumed HC Kelly would take a "delete that please" approach.

I was told CW's father was opinionated about the talent his DD would be surrounded by up north and pulled said commitment after a camp.If that is accurate, I think he was wrong. I'm being very forthright here - so I'm sure I'll get blasted. I never liked the middle schooler is going to SU angle of this and the way USLacrosse hyped her non stop. That being said I'm sure she's a great kid, definitely a talented lacrosse player and can't control someone else's content. I for one was so happy the recruiting rules changed. One of my favorite players committed to a top 5 school before freshman year- never playing a varsity game. She is now riding the bench. She loves the school and her team but it's a shame because she could def contribute elsewhere and is disappointed by the lack of pt.

I get what she says about her team and school, but why do I feel really bad for her and many others who have gone through this? I want to see them play somewhere(except College Club) and I have to believe they want to play as well.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

LarryGamLax wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:05 pm
tothedraw wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:00 pm Yup,'22's did not get campus visits so I imagine there is going to be a lot of flipping/transferring from this group. Isn't she still just verbally committed at this point? It's Stanford for pete's sake and her dream school. Good for her. Agreed it was a bod look by Queener. Go ahead and feel that way, don't blast it publicly. Assumed HC Kelly would take a "delete that please" approach.

I get what she says about her team and school, but why do I feel really bad for her and many others who have gone through this? I want to see them play somewhere(except College Club) and I have to believe they want to play as well.
It's a tough spot for a lot of girls. Most of them really love their school and their teammates. But there is a really difficult decision to be made on whether they want to trade that for a chance to play somewhere else. For girls at a top 10-20 team there are always other options to find PT.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

I was told CW's father was opinionated about the talent his DD would be surrounded by up north and pulled said commitment after a camp. If that is accurate, I think he was wrong. I'm being very forthright here - so I'm sure I'll get blasted. I never liked the middle schooler is going to SU angle of this and the way US Lacrosse hyped her non stop. That being said I'm sure she's a great kid, definitely a talented lacrosse player and can't control someone else's content. I for one was so happy the recruiting rules changed. One of my favorite players committed to a top 5 school before freshman year - never playing a varsity game. She is now riding the bench. She loves the school and her team but it's a shame because she could def contribute elsewhere and is disappointed by the lack of pt.
I found the background supplied here on CW compelling. Thanks for your forthrightness. Very interesting to know what kind of events shape a players career.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Interesting look back to the days of yore

Dr. Tact

Re: Interesting look back to the days of yore

Post by Dr. Tact »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:53 am Image
Someone else had a nut in their name?
DMac

Post by DMac »

The original log on way back when I first discovered first LP.
Why 11, ask ye? Why for Cuse's 11 Natty Champs, of course.
Long before I would have given a second's thought to hangin'
out with a bunch of wlaxers and discussing that ridiculous game.
All wlaxers should arise each morn' and thank the gods for the
rules changes to their now fast, and gorgeous game.

More extreme miscellaneous. Watch this Kiwi completely melt,
it's just kind of fun. Bobby did this to all the girls.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb0gGYDGCBM&t=296s
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:40 am

This was also in the thread:

“John Sung got skewered years ago for that and he was made out to be the bad guy. However, turns out a bunch of coaches were doing it in the dark.”

What was the deal with Caitlyn Wurzburger? How did she end up wearing powder blue instead of her initially intended Syracuse orange?
UNC had always been another school of interest to her. She got close to a couple of the UNC girls through team USA camps and when they started getting her on campus it was a wrap.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Kleizaster wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:56 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:40 am What was the deal with Caitlyn Wurzburger? How did she end up wearing powder blue instead of her initially intended Syracuse orange?
UNC had always been another school of interest to her. She got close to a couple of the UNC girls through team USA camps and when they started getting her on campus it was a wrap.
Thanks for the background details, Kleizaster.
OuttaNowhereWregget

National Signing Day

There were signings and signings and more signings all over social media yesterday. Can the young women who are currently signing with different schools change their mind after signing? Is it easy for a young woman to change her mind and go someplace else or does it involve a lot of red tape, extra work and hard feelings? Has the age/signing protocol changed over the last few years? If so, has it been for the better?

A famous young attacker from the past is all smiles after signing.
Laxfan500

Re: National Signing Day

Post by Laxfan500 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:06 am There were signings and signings and more signings all over social media yesterday. Can the young women who are currently signing with different schools change their mind after signing? Is it easy for a young woman to change her mind and go someplace else or does it involve a lot of red tape, extra work and hard feelings? Has the age/signing protocol changed over the last few years? If so, has it been for the better?

A famous young attacker from the past is all smiles after signing.
One of the best players my daughter ever faced. Tenacious, talented, relentless.
OuttaNowhereWregget

“Maybe see a therapist.”

“Dude, time to get the prescription refilled.”

“CVS closed today?”

Over the past few weeks, the above juvenile comments regarding mental health have been made on the D1 Women’s Lacrosse board. It got me thinking. These days, you have to have your head buried in the sand to not have heard of Morgan’s Message in women’s lacrosse circles and the general mental health crisis in this country among teens and others.

Making jokes about mental health, or worse, using mental health topics to insult people, is not only shameful, but ignorant and irresponsible. That snide remarks about a persons mental health are spit out due to something as trivial as a disagreement about a women’s lacrosse topic is an embarrassingly sad state of affairs.

I thought the words of coach McInturf (below) might be educational to help remove the stigma* of mental health on these boards and make everyone feel welcome here; whether they go to therapy or not, and whether they are on prescribed medication from their physician or not. I doubt any parent who has experienced this—for themselves or their family—would appreciate reading the above childish remarks while perusing this forum.

“November is Men’s Mental Health Awareness Month. Men are 3.5 times more likely to commit suicide and are 36% less likely to seek professional therapy than women. The stigma surrounding men’s mental health needs to change. Admitting that everything isn’t okay and seeking help from loved ones is a display of strength rather than weakness.

As a high school lacrosse coach I am around dozens of athletes that could be fighting the same mental battles I did when I was their age. I wanted to share my experience with mental health in the hopes that others don’t feel isolated.

In my high school years I suffered from depression and had suicidal thoughts. Being around family and friends and playing lacrosse we’re my outlets allowing me to channel my emotions. In college I suffered through intense anxiety, feeling inadequate in every aspect of life, always being my own harshest critic. I described as an always looming darkness around me. I was able to find peace in working out, playing lacrosse and being around friends.

After graduating I fell into a long and exhausting period of depression as I felt helpless and unfulfilled in my first job after school. I used to hide my feelings and emotions and cage it in putting up a facade that I was okay to avoid people asking how I felt. I resented the thought that I was different or broken. I wasn’t broken. I was a victim of a stigma that mental health was my fault, that I was abnormal.

Mental Health will be this generations greatest obstacle and it starts with changing the stigma. Therapy doesn’t mean you’re crazy. It’s no different than a check up at the doctors.”

Coach McInturf - Defensive Coordinator for Olentangy Orange High School Varsity Boys Lacrosse

And this article regarding Morgan’s Message:

https://www.whsv.com/2021/04/19/morgans ... athletics/

* “Stigma - a mark of disgrace associated with a particular circumstance, quality, or person.”

* “Social stigma is the disapproval of, or discrimination against, an individual or group based on perceivable social characteristics that serve to distinguish them from other members of a society.”

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”