Transfer Portal

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Can Opener wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:33 am +1
Very well put. The downsides of personal criticism of a young female athlete in a sport we are trying to grow are too numerous to list. The upside is...umm. It is the duty of middle-aged men to show these young athletes the tough love they deserve? The coaches aren't doing a good enough job of telling players where they are lacking, so they need our help? If Fanlax posters treat them as fragile Kewpie dolls, then they are destined to become just that? The First Amendment is in peril if posters from New Jersey aren't allowed to EXPRESS THEIR VIEWS IN ALL CAPS? The risk/reward equation is way out of whack on this issue.

As I have written many times on this forum, I will gladly accept the criticism of erring on the side of showing respect and deference to these young women. That is a much more comfortable place for me than launching personal attacks on college women navigating a very complex world.

Put another way, if your daughter comes home from school and asks: "What did you do today, Dad?" which response would she be happier to hear:
A. I defended some girls about your age from online bullies; or
B. I ripped into a girl I don't really know in an online chat.

If my answer were B., I would be lucky if my daughter spoke to me again in the next 30 days.
I think this is a mischaracterization of what actually happened, if the njbill saga is being referenced. Bill never attacked or bullied Charlotte North personally. He just wasn’t impressed with her skills and thought her value to her team was overhyped from what I remember. He criticized her performance on the field. I never thought Bill’s position warranted a personal attack in response. I certainly ridiculed his position at the time, but njbill’s character was never in question on this board. At that time he was just another member who had a provocative take. It never warranted the blow up it turned into.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:52 am
Very well put. The downsides of personal criticism of a young female athlete in a sport we are trying to grow are too numerous to list. The upside is...umm. It is the duty of middle-aged men to show these young athletes the tough love they deserve? The coaches aren't doing a good enough job of telling players where they are lacking, so they need our help? If Fanlax posters treat them as fragile Kewpie dolls, then they are destined to become just that? The First Amendment is in peril if posters from New Jersey aren't allowed to EXPRESS THEIR VIEWS IN ALL CAPS? The risk/reward equation is way out of whack on this issue.

As I have written many times on this forum, I will gladly accept the criticism of erring on the side of showing respect and deference to these young women. That is a much more comfortable place for me than launching personal attacks on college women navigating a very complex world.

Put another way, if your daughter comes home from school and asks: "What did you do today, Dad?" which response would she be happier to hear:

If my answer were B., I would be lucky if my daughter spoke to me again in the next 30 days.
I think this is a mischaracterization of what actually happened, if the njbill saga is being referenced. Bill never attacked or bullied Charlotte North personally. He just wasn’t impressed with her skills and thought her value to her team was overhyped from what I remember. He criticized her performance on the field. I never thought Bill’s position warranted a personal attack in response. I certainly ridiculed his position at the time, but njbill’s character was never in question on this board. At that time he was just another member who had a provocative take. It never warranted the blow up it turned into.
I was referring to both of our friends from the Garden State, but NJB was a prime example of a really bad look -- middle aged dudes constantly haranguing a young female athlete. Were most of his comments "substantive?" Yes, but my problem with NJB was the overwhelming nature of his negativity. I don't think he's an evil person, but I just don't understand why someone devotes such a large amount of energy to attacking an individual. CN was voted the #1 college lacrosse player in America by a committee of opposing coaches. Maybe NJB was wiser than those 19 college coaches, but probably not. I just wasted 15 minutes collecting a few of NJB's comments on CN. There are probably 2-3X more of these. Larry can say that he was just "talkin' lax," but as our discussion about the young goalie has pointed out, there are boundaries in a civilized society. The sheer volume of this negativity is remarkable.

North fans aren’t going to like this, but team chemistry is critical as is willingness to share the ball. It says here she won’t make the team.

Also, I think to be on the US team, you have to be an absolutely tiptop passer, which North is not. I think she is only OK for an elite attacker.

Prepare to be disappointed, Dad. She isn’t going to make the final team. What did Spallina say at the tryouts?

We’ll see. You can say there’s no way they aren’t taking her. I can say there’s no way they are. We don’t make the decision.

She is only a scorer. This team does not need more scorers.

​​Keep trying, Dad.

She’s a very good player. She won the Tewaaratan. She ain’t making the national team. Bank on it.

Do you really want me to get into the other reasons? Didn’t think so.

You have an unhealthy, unnatural infatuation with this young woman. You pour over her stats again and again. You check her social media. And you call me creepy?

Larry, I, for one, appreciate the history lesson, but you are wasting your time on this can opener. He thinks Charlotte North is the best player of all time, and no one can tell him otherwise.

And for goodness sake, he had never heard of Megan Whittle.

Carolina crushed Boston College on the draw. North got zero draws. They held her to two goals on eight shots. She turned the ball over a few times. The game plan certainly was to shut her down. That plan was a success. (Once again Trenchard shut down North. Why Colson was a Tewaaraton finalist and Trenchard wasn’t is a travesty.)

UNC won the draw 16-7. North got no draws. People have been touting her as a great draw collector, which she has been. But not today. She shot 2 for 8 and had several turnovers. I think she had a bad game. If you think otherwise, you of course are entitled to your opinion.

I don’t give North much credit, if any, for any good play from her teammates. If I am being doubled, and my teammates play well, I get credit? Don’t think I agree with that.

But North hurt her chances today because she had a sub par game, arguably even a poor game.

Pretty surprising that the three T finalists in this game are all coming up pretty small.

What is with North’s screeching when the draw is being set up?

Oh, forgot to ask CO for permission to say something critical about North.

That would explain when she is yelling names, but the screeching is exceedingly odd. Would be quite surprised if that is a play call.

Take a look at her assists to shots ratio (12/162=7.4%). Pathetic for a player who has the ball in her stick perhaps more than any other player in the game. And one who gets doubled a lot, which should allow for easy assists. Her assists should be multiples higher than they are.

BC won yesterday in spite of not because of North. If Hall hadn't been all world and had she allowed in a few more goals, the big story today would be that North choked.

You have very ably laid out the case in North's favor. On the other side of the ledger is the lingering feeling of some that she hogs the ball and celebrates too exuberantly. Will any committee members not vote for her for those reasons? Don't know.

She has been shut down twice now by Emma Trenchard. Disqualifying? No, but it hurts her case.

She had a bad game in the biggest game of her life, in the national semifinals.

As to the "silly" draw control argument, posters have argued quite a bit that her DC process should be factored into her Tewaaraton candidacy. Rightly so. Well, yesterday she came up goose eggs in that department. In the biggest game of her life. The seven her team got? What about the fact that she got ZERO herself? What about the 16 the other team got on her watch?

And then there were her turnovers. The box score has her with one. I counted at least two on the replay. And at least two of her shots were saved, which effectively were turnovers.

Where did she rank in terms of individual performances on her team? Well down the list. Behind Hall. Behind Medjid. Behind Smith. Behind Urbank (6 DCs). Behind local girl Mossman. Don't know the defenders well enough by name to list the ones that played well yesterday, but there are probably two or three who played better than North. So the Tewaaraton finalist was outplayed by a significant majority of her own teammates yesterday.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Can Opener wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:22 am

I was referring to both of our friends from the Garden State, but NJB was a prime example of a really bad look -- middle aged dudes constantly haranguing a young female athlete. Were most of his comments "substantive?" Yes, but my problem with NJB was the overwhelming nature of his negativity. I don't think he's an evil person, but I just don't understand why someone devotes such a large amount of energy to attacking an individual. CN was voted the #1 college lacrosse player in America by a committee of opposing coaches. Maybe NJB was wiser than those 19 college coaches, but probably not. I just wasted 15 minutes collecting a few of NJB's comments on CN. There are probably 2-3X more of these. Larry can say that he was just "talkin' lax," but as our discussion about the young goalie has pointed out, there are boundaries in a civilized society. The sheer volume of this negativity is remarkable.

North fans aren’t going to like this, but team chemistry is critical as is willingness to share the ball. It says here she won’t make the team.

Also, I think to be on the US team, you have to be an absolutely tiptop passer, which North is not. I think she is only OK for an elite attacker.

Prepare to be disappointed, Dad. She isn’t going to make the final team. What did Spallina say at the tryouts?

We’ll see. You can say there’s no way they aren’t taking her. I can say there’s no way they are. We don’t make the decision.

​​Keep trying, Dad.

She’s a very good player. She won the Tewaaratan. She ain’t making the national team. Bank on it.

You have an unhealthy, unnatural infatuation with this young woman. You pour over her stats again and again. You check her social media. And you call me creepy?

Larry, I, for one, appreciate the history lesson, but you are wasting your time on this can opener. He thinks Charlotte North is the best player of all time, and no one can tell him otherwise.

Carolina crushed Boston College on the draw. North got zero draws. They held her to two goals on eight shots. She turned the ball over a few times. The game plan certainly was to shut her down. That plan was a success. (Once again Trenchard shut down North. Why Colson was a Tewaaraton finalist and Trenchard wasn’t is a travesty.)

UNC won the draw 16-7. North got no draws. People have been touting her as a great draw collector, which she has been. But not today. She shot 2 for 8 and had several turnovers. I think she had a bad game. If you think otherwise, you of course are entitled to your opinion.

I don’t give North much credit, if any, for any good play from her teammates. If I am being doubled, and my teammates play well, I get credit? Don’t think I agree with that.

But North hurt her chances today because she had a sub par game, arguably even a poor game.

Pretty surprising that the three T finalists in this game are all coming up pretty small.

That would explain when she is yelling names, but the screeching is exceedingly odd. Would be quite surprised if that is a play call.

Take a look at her assists to shots ratio (12/162=7.4%). Pathetic for a player who has the ball in her stick perhaps more than any other player in the game. And one who gets doubled a lot, which should allow for easy assists. Her assists should be multiples higher than they are.

BC won yesterday in spite of not because of North. If Hall hadn't been all world and had she allowed in a few more goals, the big story today would be that North choked.

You have very ably laid out the case in North's favor. On the other side of the ledger is the lingering feeling of some that she hogs the ball and celebrates too exuberantly. Will any committee members not vote for her for those reasons? Don't know.

She has been shut down twice now by Emma Trenchard. Disqualifying? No, but it hurts her case.

As to the "silly" draw control argument, posters have argued quite a bit that her DC process should be factored into her Tewaaraton candidacy. Rightly so. Well, yesterday she came up goose eggs in that department. In the biggest game of her life. The seven her team got? What about the fact that she got ZERO herself? What about the 16 the other team got on her watch?

And then there were her turnovers. The box score has her with one. I counted at least two on the replay. And at least two of her shots were saved, which effectively were turnovers.

Where did she rank in terms of individual performances on her team? Well down the list. Behind Hall. Behind Medjid. Behind Smith. Behind Urbank (6 DCs). Behind local girl Mossman. Don't know the defenders well enough by name to list the ones that played well yesterday, but there are probably two or three who played better than North. So the Tewaaraton finalist was outplayed by a significant majority of her own teammates yesterday.
Thanks for pulling the quotes, CO. I had forgotten just how utterly ridiculous the comments got after a while. It comes to mind that I appealed to Bill at one point and may have used the Jekyll and Hyde reference in that appeal. His campaign against North got to be bizarre. He was fully invested and immovable which is part of the reason why I think he withdrew from the boards.
Bart

Post by Bart »

​​Keep trying, Dad.

Don't know which is more bizarre.....some of those statements or you either searching them out or holding on to them.
urgettingwhatuaxed4

Post by urgettingwhatuaxed4 »

You guys crack me up.
There are only so many fans of this game and you want to call them stalkers or creepy or whatever.
Maybe take a step back and appreciate the fact people are talking about the game in the off season. Until the ratings grow, a ton, the game will be on after corn hole and ax throwing. Until an old man can go watch a game without an amber alert being called that old man better learn how to stream a game.
Criticism is not the end of the world. I have seen CN play and practice and I doubt she is going to break under a little criticism and no other player should either. This is a small group that we should make grow not chase fans away.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

15 minutes of my life I will never get back. Could have sent out five sales prospect emails during that time or done 1/3 of a Jane Fonda workout video on my VHS player.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

urgettingwhatuaxed4 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:32 pm You guys crack me up.
There are only so many fans of this game and you want to call them stalkers or creepy or whatever.
Maybe take a step back and appreciate the fact people are talking about the game in the off season. Until the ratings grow, a ton, the game will be on after corn hole and ax throwing. Until an old man can go watch a game without an amber alert being called that old man better learn how to stream a game.
I watched a Girls High school game that was televised yesterday....no axe throwing, no poker, no cornhole, no hot dog eating contest before or after :D
Bart

Post by Bart »

Can Opener wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:33 pm 15 minutes of my life I will never get back. Could have sent out five sales prospect emails during that time or done 1/3 of a Jane Fonda workout video on my VHS player.
your time would have been better spent doing that....imo
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Bart wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:15 pm

​​Keep trying, Dad.

Don't know which is more bizarre.....some of those statements or you either searching them out or holding on to them.
+1
OuttaNowhereWregget

Can Opener wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:33 pm 15 minutes of my life I will never get back. Could have sent out five sales prospect emails during that time or done 1/3 of a Jane Fonda workout video on my VHS player.
Good bit of researching the way I see it.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

LarryGamLax wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:37 am I'm going to respond to justalaxdad via PM. If he chooses to share any of that with the rest of the Forum, then that will be his decision.
Since you made your original comments public, why don't you make your response public as well.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Brownlax wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:26 am
LarryGamLax wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:37 am I'm going to respond to justalaxdad via PM. If he chooses to share any of that with the rest of the Forum, then that will be his decision.
Since you made your original comments public, why don't you make your response public as well.
Sound rationale.
Mrs@inthe8m

Post by Mrs@inthe8m »

LarryGamLax wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:38 am Just learned of a player who is leaving a school in a mid-level conference to attend a school in a Power 5 Conference. The problem is that she was not one of the best in her position at that mid-level conference. SO, what does that say about this move and the seemingly lack of fact gathering and reality checking that went on here?

I'm sure the academics were a large part of that decision
. :roll:
Larry, you stepped in it with this post. Instead of apologizing in the forum, you doubled down and even blamed the player’s dad for outing her as the transfer. College lacrosse can be a surprisingly small world. Some of us might have a daughter in a program this player visited, and that daughter might have in passing mentioned to her parents the recent recruiting visit from a current AAC player. Many of us also follow social media and will see a spring transfer to a power 5 conference and will know who you were talking about. I bolded the part of your post I think was unnecessary regarding any college athlete.

This next part is not directed at Larry, but while I’m taking the time to post I’ll add that as a mom I find some of the conversation about specific players to be….cringey. There was a time it was socially acceptable to comment on the smile, hair, etc. of a woman you don’t know well or at all. A time when women should be flattered by it. That time has passed!

On a more positive note, I enjoy reading a lot of the posts here as a fan of women’s lacrosse. Cheers and lax on.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Mrs@inthe8m wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:27 pm while I’m taking the time to post I’ll add that as a mom I find some of the conversation about specific players to be….cringey. There was a time it was socially acceptable to comment on the smile, hair, etc. of a woman you don’t know well or at all. A time when women should be flattered by it. That time has passed!
Indeed it has. Well said.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Mrs@inthe8m wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:27 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:38 am Just learned of a player who is leaving a school in a mid-level conference to attend a school in a Power 5 Conference. The problem is that she was not one of the best in her position at that mid-level conference. SO, what does that say about this move and the seemingly lack of fact gathering and reality checking that went on here?

I'm sure the academics were a large part of that decision
. :roll:
Larry, you stepped in it with this post. Instead of apologizing in the forum, you doubled down and even blamed the player’s dad for outing her as the transfer. College lacrosse can be a surprisingly small world. Some of us might have a daughter in a program this player visited, and that daughter might have in passing mentioned to her parents the recent recruiting visit from a current AAC player. Many of us also follow social media and will see a spring transfer to a power 5 conference and will know who you were talking about. I bolded the part of your post I think was unnecessary regarding any college athlete.

This next part is not directed at Larry, but while I’m taking the time to post I’ll add that as a mom I find some of the conversation about specific players to be….cringey. There was a time it was socially acceptable to comment on the smile, hair, etc. of a woman you don’t know well or at all. A time when women should be flattered by it. That time has passed!

On a more positive note, I enjoy reading a lot of the posts here as a fan of women’s lacrosse. Cheers and lax on.
I absolutely love having Mrs@inthe8m in the mix, welcome aboard. I hope you'll gather some other lax moms up and encourage them to post here as these threads should be dominated by women, yet there are so few.
I will disagree with you on the "That time has passed!" part. I would bet that when any one of these lax chicks gets all dolled up for her prom, or whatever occasion when all the primping, make up, and special hair do goes on, pretty much every person here is going to tell her how nice she looks. Now I get the time and place part, but I will say that I find many of the people in the wlax world to be way overly sensitive about anything said about any of these girls other than she has a nice stick or is a good player.
About this, there is no question, as it would happen. If I happen to cross paths with Maddy Baxter in a store, or wherever, I would say to her, "Man, that is some mighty gorgeous red hair you've got going on there." I would be willing to give you 100 to 1 odds on $100 that she would smile and say thank you when I said that and that would be that. Nothing more would have happened there other than my making a young girl feel good for a second and the world would keep on turning as if nothing had happened. If I say that same thing here, oh my, I'm a perv who shouldn't be allowed within a hundred yards of a wlax field. I don't think the time has passed to pay someone a compliment, and most of the time it's more about how you say it. Here it's always interpreted or viewed as creepy, but that's the overly sensitive world of wlax.
Very glad to have you aboard.
laxstan8

Post by laxstan8 »

Kait Devir, goalie from Ridgewood, N.J., transfers to USC from Boston College.

https://pac-12.com/article/2021/11/08/u ... kait-devir
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

laxstan8 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:03 pm Kait Devir, goalie from Ridgewood, N.J., transfers to USC from Boston College.

Other way around. From BC to USC
OuttaNowhereWregget

hmmm wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:47 pm
laxstan8 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:03 pm Kait Devir, goalie from Ridgewood, N.J., transfers to USC from Boston College.

Correction--transfer was stated accurately by original poster.

USC has been a strange turnstyle for the comings and goings of transferring goaltenders this offseason.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:07 am

USC has been a strange turnstyle for the comings and goings of transferring goaltenders this offseason.
The original poster corrected their post after I responded to it.
OuttaNowhereWregget

hmmm wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:30 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:07 am

The original poster corrected their post after I responded to it.
If that was the case, there would have been a note mentioning said correction/edit underneath the original posters post.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”