Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
51percentcorn

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by 51percentcorn »

one of your less controversial posts
jhu06 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:43 pm that was the best epstein has looked since 2019 - fall ball - looked pretty good against Maryland in the BIG final
the school lists grimes at attack on its website - doesn't mean anything
angelus should get a ton of opportunities with teams keying in on degnon epstein and connor - he should get a shortstick
lily and mabbet seemed to have earned the trust of the coaches from the start last year. we'll see, but they do have a lot of size that we haven't always had there - can't argue
IL had a nice look at old pal UNC this week - couldn't care less - I know they are an opponent but IL's assessment doesn't matter
still missing shots inside on those videos. maybe we can bring brandon benn back to teach the fundamentals of a 5 foot dunker. we had to have had one of the worst shooting percentages from inside last year - again - just like a goal on a highlight video - a non goal is just a snippet of 60 minutes - of course you want to finish - they have good players too
Quint has spent many many years using the term "hopkins has great stick work" as code for lacks speed agility athleticism and quickness at attack and on the midfield. to me the reference to a player says "hasn't physically matured at the d1 level". - QK says a lot of things
I don't expect the third attack spot, lsm rotation, 3rd defense spot, goalie, or midfield lines to be finalized or won until late february. would probably take an all conference level performance from the outset to win those. If they are playing Feb 5 I think they need to have a pretty good idea of the goalie, close D and LSM by late Feb - midfield lines you can tinker with
they've done throwbacks from time to time. with fans back in the stands might be cool. I don't know the history well enough to know what title anniversary is up and what jerseys would be sweetest. Well - they are obviously 3 seasons away from the 50th of the '74 team and 40 from the '84 - most would have to look up USILA title years - they wore something like the '74 team blue jerseys at the 100th Maryland game.
51 was big on dylan bauer coming in. He did not see action last year according to his page. usually top 100 recruits get some run as frosh unless they're hurt.
thanks again to HOB. Ditto
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

primitiveskills wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:44 am
HopFan16 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:39 am I thought this was obvious but 51 was taking issue with Doc's ridiculous proclamation that a 9-minute fall ball highlight video marked the best passing and stick skills he's seen in two decades. He was not attacking HOB's very measured, evidence-based optimism (which is warranted, IMO).

One thing I was wondering — it looks like the Richmond scrimmage was Kirson and then Versfeld in goal, but I thought Webb played in this one? Did he just not make the highlight reel? Might be a good thing that he didn't.

There's that old adage, "if you have four goalies, you have none." I like the competition but we really need one guy to clearly emerge. With competent goalie play this team's ceiling is very high. With another year of 40% it's going to continue being a struggle with this schedule even if the rest of the team improves.
My bad if true. Should have gone back further in the thread, I guess. In fairness, Doc was basically saying the same thing as HOB.
Thank you, I was … and I know fall ball is fall ball.

My point was … this was some of the best ball movement I’ve seen from a Hopkins team in a couple of decades. Mind you, most of Petro’s teams didn’t play what would typically be considered a “motion offense”. They didn’t have to when they had All-American middie dodgers like Adam Doneger, Harrison, Rabil, the Peysers, and Kimmel (or even John Ranagan for that matter).

All the more impressive considering this is fall ball.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:00 am
primitiveskills wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:44 am In fairness, Doc was basically saying the same thing as HOB.
No he wasn't. I wasn't taking issue with a single thing HOB said. I offered that making any observation based on fall ball is riddled with complications. Perhaps I worded it a bit too strongly but I think I was able to offer some justification for my position with a video from October 2015 that HOB provided where I am sure there were off the moon observations about how great that team was going to be.
My only prediction for the actual season after watching HOB’s excellent video was that this might be a “pretty good team.”

Read my post. The passing did look spectacular in the video, but I’m fully aware that this is fall ball and Richmond ain’t Duke or Virginia (no insult to the fine Richmond team and program).

You’re the one who jumped to a sanctimonious conclusion about what I was saying.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:00 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:39 am I thought this was obvious but 51 was taking issue with Doc's ridiculous proclamation that a 9-minute fall ball highlight video marked the best passing and stick skills he's seen in two decades. He was not attacking HOB's very measured, evidence-based optimism (which is warranted, IMO).

One thing I was wondering — it looks like the Richmond scrimmage was Kirson and then Versfeld in goal, but I thought Webb played in this one? Did he just not make the highlight reel? Might be a good thing that he didn't.

There's that old adage, "if you have four goalies, you have none." I like the competition but we really need one guy to clearly emerge. With competent goalie play this team's ceiling is very high. With another year of 40% it's going to continue being a struggle with this schedule even if the rest of the team improves.
My bad if true. Should have gone back further in the thread, I guess. In fairness, Doc was basically saying the same thing as HOB.

My point was … this was some of the best ball movement I’ve seen from a Hopkins team in a couple of decades. Mind you, most of Petro’s teams didn’t play what would typically be considered a “motion offense”.r
Oy vey. Benson ran a motion offense from 2014-2020. 7 seasons.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:44 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:26 pm
Hoponboard wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:19 am Richmond vs Hopkins Fall Ball Scrimmage video. Enjoy! Shot with an iPhone 13 Pro Max and edited on an iPad using LumaFusion.

https://youtu.be/xe3Y1KNBaEk
Thanks, HOB!!!

DocBarrister :)
That’s a professional-quality video, HOB. Great work.

The defense looked solid for pre-season. Some of the second slides looked slow, but that’s a quibble and I’m sure the video doesn’t show a lot of the Blue Jays’ defensive stops. Good work on GBs.

The offense looks unreal. Not sure if I have ever seen better passing and stick skills on a Hopkins team in the past two decades. Probably the 2014 season is the last time I’ve seen such good ball movement on a Johns Hopkins team. Absolutely selfless play.

From this preliminary look, the 2022 Blue Jays are going to be a pretty good team.

DocBarrister :)
My original post.

Is anyone but 51percentcorny actually going to assert that saying, “From this preliminary look, the 2022 Blue Jays are going to be a pretty good team,” is going too far?

Anyone?

DocBarrister :roll:
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:10 pm

My point was … this was some of the best ball movement I’ve seen from a Hopkins team in a couple of decades. Mind you, most of Petro’s teams didn’t play what would typically be considered a “motion offense”.r
Yeah, I know that … I have often cited 2014 as one of the finest coaching jobs Benson and Petro ever did … a beautiful motion offense.

And 7 years means that “most of Petro’s teams didn’t play what would typically be considered a ‘motion offense’.” Just as I said.

What is the matter with some of you?!?

@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:15 pm

Yeah, I know that … I have often cited 2014 as one of the finest coaching jobs Benson and Petro ever did … a beautiful motion offense.

And 7 years means that “most of Petro’s teams didn’t play what would typically be considered a ‘motion offense’.” Just as I said.

You're acting like it's some new thing and that it hasn't been the norm for nearly a decade.

The truth is that Benson's offense and the one they're running right now are not that different. There are new wrinkles and nuances, of course. And they're emphasizing a few different things, like stick-to-stick passing. (Reading between the lines, it seemed to me like PM was kind of appalled by how poor the passing accuracy was when he first came in.) But the system itself is pretty similar.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:22 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:15 pm

You're acting like it's some new thing and that it hasn't been the norm for nearly a decade.

The truth is that Benson's offense and the one they're running right now are not that different. There are new wrinkles and nuances, of course. And they're emphasizing a few different things, like stick-to-stick passing. (Reading between the lines, it seemed to me like PM was kind of appalled by how poor the passing accuracy was when he first came in.) But the system itself is pretty similar.
Sorry, I disagree … Benson’s motion offense looked like a true, terrific motion offense in 2014-2015. After that … not so much. From 2016-2020, it was some strange hybrid mish-mash. Sometimes starting out a game looking like a fluid motion offense, then later in the same game little more than one-on-one dodging with everyone seemingly taking their turn at trying to beat their man, only to run into a double team and retreating. Not at all like what was seen in 2014 or in HOB’s video.

The video is just a snippet from fall ball, but is it a crime to feel optimistic after watching it?

@DocBarrister
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:11 pm Is anyone but 51percentcorny actually going to assert that saying, “From this preliminary look, the 2022 Blue Jays are going to be a pretty good team,” is going too far?

If that's all you said - it would have been fine - it's all the other stupid $&!+
And if we're going to adjust other folks user names - I choose for you DB - which given your esteemed level of education I hope you can figure out on your own
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Sheesh, really?

You're rooting for the same team and school, right?
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

You're right I will do my best to ignore in the future but final point - if I was a Green Bay Packers fan I might still root for the Packers even though Rodgers is a complete A$$hat
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

51percentcorn wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:01 am You're right I will do my best to ignore in the future but final point - if I was a Green Bay Packers fan I might still root for the Packers even though Rodgers is a complete A$$hat
:lol: good point.
Cheeseheads will be cheeseheads.

I don't know about you, but I'll be rooting for Rodgers to take a whole lot of very hard hits when he returns. I don't know who their back up is, but I'll then be rooting for (whoever) to do extremely well when he steps in.

That said, I think I want to know more about how much the Packers knew about Rodgers' lie to the public and how they handled that before committing to root for anyone in management there to make a nickel from their success.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:14 am
51percentcorn wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:01 am You're right I will do my best to ignore in the future but final point - if I was a Green Bay Packers fan I might still root for the Packers even though Rodgers is a complete A$$hat

I don't know about you, but I'll be rooting for Rodgers to take a whole lot of very hard hits when he returns. I don't know who their back up is, but I'll then be rooting for (whoever) to do extremely well when he steps in.

That said, I think I want to know more about how much the Packers knew about Rodgers' lie to the public and how they handled that before committing to root for anyone in management there to make a nickel from their success.
Based on Matt LaFleur's tepid and submissive responses, I'd say Rodgers can do whatever he wants with impunity when it comes to the Packers' organization. Pathetic.
molo

Post by molo »

Rodgers’ backup, Jordan Love, is part of the narrative. Rodgers publicly whined when the drafted Love as his heir apparent. Will he get his chance to claim the job while the diva sits?
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

The whole team knew. Maybe his medical status is NOYFB. Now if you had the Pack in some parlay, that's different. :lol: :lol:
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Packers and League office knew in advance since the teams have had to report vax status of their players to the League office. And once Aaron tested positive, he immediately went under the League's non-vax protocol -- out 10 days, minimum.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

get it to x wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:13 pm The whole team knew. Maybe his medical status is NOYFB. Now if you had the Pack in some parlay, that's different. :lol: :lol:
I dunno, seems like it's everyone's business when they're shelling out big bucks to watch NFL football games and their star players.

Rodgers lied; that's on him.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Big Dog wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:03 pm

Packers and League office knew in advance since the teams have had to report vax status of their players to the League office. And once Aaron tested positive, he immediately went under the League's non-vax protocol -- out 10 days, minimum.
Ok, so if they knew he lied, that means they too were complicit in the lie.

I have a hard time believing they had anything on their minds in their decision to cover for him than their own bottomline. You sell a heck of a lot more Rodgers' jerseys when he's a hero for all rather than when he's a symbol of "body autonomy". Much narrower fan base, the latter.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

molo wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:18 pm Rodgers’ backup, Jordan Love, is part of the narrative. Rodgers publicly whined when the drafted Love as his heir apparent. Will he get his chance to claim the job while the diva sits?
Interesting.
If he does get a shot, hope he kicks butt.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:29 pm Sorry, I disagree … Benson’s motion offense looked like a true, terrific motion offense in 2014-2015. After that … not so much. From 2016-2020, it was some strange hybrid mish-mash. Sometimes starting out a game looking like a fluid motion offense, then later in the same game little more than one-on-one dodging with everyone seemingly taking their turn at trying to beat their man, only to run into a double team and retreating. Not at all like what was seen in 2014 or in HOB’s video.
That "strange hybrid mish-mash" was better.

Hopkins adjusted offensive efficiency:

2014 - 34.4 (#10 in country)
2015 - 42.0 (#2)
2016 - 38.9 (#3)
2017 - 36.5 (#9)
2018 - 39.1 (#3)

Were you asleep in 2018? The passing in the B1G title game vs. Maryland looked pretty good to me. Every year from '15-'19 the offense was more efficient at producing goals than it was in '14. Don't let that get in the way of your narrative though.

PS that 2014 team had a player named Wells Stanwick who is 2nd all time in assists at Johns Hopkins and had 44 that year alone (a career high). He might have something to do with why you for whatever reason perceive the 2014 offense to be some outlier year, which is not supported by facts. As 51 has mentioned a million times, the 16 and 17 teams were decimated by injuries/unscheduled absences — and, still, were statistically as good as or better than in 14.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”