Bourbon

General Chatter
Kismet

Re: Bourbon

Post by Kismet »

Here is the latest collaboration between Leopold's and George Dickel - Todd mentioned this option will be at a lower price point ($110 vs. $250/bottle) than the Leopold's Three Chamber Rye released earlier this year which was only 5,280 bottles.

"Excited to finally share news of this whiskey collaboration between George Dickel and Leopold Bros.!

Nicole (the Master Distiller at George Dickel) and I have known each other for years, and we both jumped at the opportunity to work with each other to revive a style of pre-prohibition Rye Whiskey that, like the Three Chamber Rye on its own, hasn't been bottled in decades.

The release will blend our Three Chamber Rye with George Dickel’s column still rye, produced at Cascade Hallow Distillery. It was common before prohibition to blend Three Chamber Rye with Column distilled Rye to create a more approachable and sometimes cocktail friendly Rye Whiskey.

The George Dickel component of this blend is a never-before released traditional column still rye that was fermented and distilled at their Cascade Hollow distillery. Bottled at 50% abv!

It should hit the shelves in early December!"

More information here
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 16509.html
https://www.bourbonblog.com/blog/2021/1 ... key-blend/
bmorelax

Post by bmorelax »

Will the Rye be available in Maryland?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

https://twitter.com/NavalInstitute/stat ... 38369?s=20

NavalInstitute
ADM William Halsey, who once said "I never trust a fighting man who doesn't smoke or drink," was not a supporter of the Navy's ban on alcohol on ships. During WWII, he requisitioned 100 gallons of bourbon so that flight surgeons could issue shots to his pilots. #SeaStorySaturday

8-)
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

bmorelax wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:37 pm Will the Rye be available in Maryland?
A few articles I have read, indicate that it will be on shelves around December. Although, I have no clue on quantity. Probably best to ask you local store owner to hold or order you one from their distributer.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:32 pm
bmorelax wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:37 pm Will the Rye be available in Maryland?
A few articles I have read, indicate that it will be on shelves around December. Although, I have no clue on quantity. Probably best to ask you local store owner to hold or order you one from their distributer.
On the East Coast, It will be available in MD, DC, NY, NJ, CT, GA, FL. Should arrive the 1st week in December.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Went to my bestest, most favorite store today. My local guy is keeping an eye out and one aside for me if he can get it.

He said it's been "hard to get Dickel lately."

I didn't touch the comment.

:lol:

Allocations for everything in MD these days. Even stuff you wouldn't expect.

The good news is It has me trying some different things.

Afan- you familiar with this one? I picked it up to give it a try.

https://caskcartel.com/products/proof-a ... on-whiskey

Its out of MGP in Indiana. Saw some reviews of The President and Senator but nothing out there on this one. So who knows?

Also picked up one of these after getting a taste. My store's whisky guy picked (a similar) one out and bought a whole lot. Nice value for the price, IMO:

https://www.winetransit.com/ezra-brooks ... 80QAvD_BwE
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Never tried that one Kram....let us know whatcha think.

I cracked my one 4R Small Batch Select last night and went back for another pour....it is damned tasty. Just saw a store I frequent has them on sale for about the same price as the 4RSiB.

~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:09 pm Allocations for everything in MD these days. Even stuff you wouldn't expect.
It's global. We've been picking up steam because of it
kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:09 pm
Afan- you familiar with this one? I picked it up to give it a try.

https://caskcartel.com/products/proof-a ... on-whiskey

Its out of MGP in Indiana. Saw some reviews of The President and Senator but nothing out there on this one. So who knows?
I am, indeed. I know the brand owner quite well. He's the guy who built up Redemption Rye, and sold it. Nice guy, and his blends are well respected in the indsustry
kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:09 pm
Also picked up one of these after getting a taste. My store's whisky guy picked (a similar) one out and bought a whole lot. Nice value for the price, IMO:

https://www.winetransit.com/ezra-brooks ... 80QAvD_BwE
Very good value, and very good choice, Kram. Cheers!

And if your'e interested in hearing a Rye Podcast, I just did one in NYC with renowned whiskey authors Dave Wondrich and Noah Rothbaum......

www.thedailybeast.com/the-past-present- ... rs-podcast
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Kismet wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:09 am Here is the latest collaboration between Leopold's and George Dickel - Todd mentioned this option will be at a lower price point ($110 vs. $250/bottle) than the Leopold's Three Chamber Rye released earlier this year which was only 5,280 bottles.

"Excited to finally share news of this whiskey collaboration between George Dickel and Leopold Bros.!

Nicole (the Master Distiller at George Dickel) and I have known each other for years, and we both jumped at the opportunity to work with each other to revive a style of pre-prohibition Rye Whiskey that, like the Three Chamber Rye on its own, hasn't been bottled in decades.

The release will blend our Three Chamber Rye with George Dickel’s column still rye, produced at Cascade Hallow Distillery. It was common before prohibition to blend Three Chamber Rye with Column distilled Rye to create a more approachable and sometimes cocktail friendly Rye Whiskey.

The George Dickel component of this blend is a never-before released traditional column still rye that was fermented and distilled at their Cascade Hollow distillery. Bottled at 50% abv!

It should hit the shelves in early December!"

More information here
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 16509.html
https://www.bourbonblog.com/blog/2021/1 ... key-blend/
afan - is it coming to Texas? Spec's tends to carry your stuff with some decent regularity
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
a fan

Post by a fan »

[/quote]

afan - is it coming to Texas? Spec's tends to carry your stuff with some decent regularity
[/quote]

It is, indeed. As a matter of fact, we're doing an event for the whiskey in he spring in Austin....that near your zip code?
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

a fan wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:06 pm
[/quote]

It is, indeed. As a matter of fact, we're doing an event for the whiskey in he spring in Austin....that near your zip code?
[/quote]

Nope, but I have a kid in school at UT, so maybe....
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

Just looking at some of the posts makes me feel about 4" tall. I was a vodka guy until about 5 years ago. I must have needed to get out more. :D My bar currently includes Russell's Reserve, Broken Barrell (58%.), Bulleit Rye and Rittenhouse Rye. I am more of a cocktail guy (Old Fashioned, Manhattan, Americano, Little Italy). My own favorite is 2 parts whiskey, one part red vermouth and one part Aperol. Bourbon or Rye with bitter flavors to me is a marriage made in Heaven. Especially the peppery Rye. Bourbon already has some sweetness from the corn. If I am just drinking it over a big cube, it's the Russell's or the Bulleit.

Any suggestions for better straight or neat drinkers would be appreciated.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:20 pm Never tried that one Kram....let us know whatcha think.

I cracked my one 4R Small Batch Select last night and went back for another pour....it is damned tasty. Just saw a store I frequent has them on sale for about the same price as the 4RSiB.

Went to a party in the neighborhood and the host was pouring this neat in the standard whiskey tasting glass. It was so smooth. Could not believe the price point.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
a fan

Post by a fan »

get it to x wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:28 pm Just looking at some of the posts makes me feel about 4" tall. I was a vodka guy until about 5 years ago. I must have needed to get out more. :D My bar currently includes Russell's Reserve, Broken Barrell (58%.), Bulleit Rye and Rittenhouse Rye. I am more of a cocktail guy (Old Fashioned, Manhattan, Americano, Little Italy). My own favorite is 2 parts whiskey, one part red vermouth and one part Aperol. Bourbon or Rye with bitter flavors to me is a marriage made in Heaven. Especially the peppery Rye. Bourbon already has some sweetness from the corn. If I am just drinking it over a big cube, it's the Russell's or the Bulleit.

What are you talking about? Those are all fine whiskies, you're doing just fine!

If you're looking to explore, this is a nice start from a pretty well respected Whiskeywriter, and names bottles that should be fairly easy to find.

Your cocktail of choice is my wife's favorite (a Boulavardier), btw.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

a fan wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:41 pm
get it to x wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:28 pm Just looking at some of the posts makes me feel about 4" tall. I was a vodka guy until about 5 years ago. I must have needed to get out more. :D My bar currently includes Russell's Reserve, Broken Barrell (58%.), Bulleit Rye and Rittenhouse Rye. I am more of a cocktail guy (Old Fashioned, Manhattan, Americano, Little Italy). My own favorite is 2 parts whiskey, one part red vermouth and one part Aperol. Bourbon or Rye with bitter flavors to me is a marriage made in Heaven. Especially the peppery Rye. Bourbon already has some sweetness from the corn. If I am just drinking it over a big cube, it's the Russell's or the Bulleit.

What are you talking about? Those are all fine whiskies, you're doing just fine!

If you're looking to explore, this is a nice start from a pretty well respected Whiskeywriter, and names bottles that should be fairly easy to find.

https://www.anderserickson.com/

Pretty cool you tube cocktail site. Classic and new cocktails.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

get it to x wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:30 pm
a fan wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:41 pm

https://www.anderserickson.com/

Pretty cool you tube cocktail site. Classic and new cocktails.
So what is Rye, Red Vermouth and Campari? I thought that was a Boulevardier?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

~Livy
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:38 pm .... my name is not John... :lol: :lol:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CV6k9IHg ... =copy_link
Deluding yourself into joy! A little whiskey? Everything in moderation. Including moderation.
Bart

Post by Bart »

get it to x wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:42 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:38 pm .... my name is not John... :lol: :lol:

Deluding yourself into joy! A little whiskey? Everything in moderation. Including moderation.
I am alot like you. I'm really not a bourbon connoisseur at all (I've been given "good" bourbon and honestly did not see a difference :lol: :lol: ) but A Fan suggested Wild Turkey 101 to me about a year ago. I would highly suggest it. It is now my favorite one out there and it is at a fantastic price point!
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Bart wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:27 pm
get it to x wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:42 pm

I am alot like you. I'm really not a bourbon connoisseur at all (I've been given "good" bourbon and honestly did not see a difference :lol: :lol: ) but A Fan suggested Wild Turkey 101 to me about a year ago. I would highly suggest it. It is now my favorite one out there and it is at a fantastic price point!
Agreed on the WT101.
~Livy

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”