Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Hoponboard

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by Hoponboard »

Yes, yes, it was fall ball. But when was the last time we’ve seen plenty of ‘thread the needle passing’ in an October scrimmage? By all means, slam the brakes on, we’re nearly three months away from the games counting.

But let us rejoice, as Hopkins fans, that the squad is developing well—even with a dozen players on the shelf—and showing cohesiveness in its offensive flow with new talent emerging. Plus, I’m grateful in this month of Thanksgiving to see a sticks up, aggressive defense with new contributors making an impact.

After watching the two scrimmages, I’m cautiously optimistic about the 2022 gauntlet, I mean, season.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Hoponboard wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:33 pm Yes, yes, it was fall ball. But when was the last time we’ve seen plenty of ‘thread the needle passing’ in an October scrimmage? By all means, slam the brakes on, we’re nearly three months away from the games counting.

But let us rejoice, as Hopkins fans, that the squad is developing well—even with a dozen players on the shelf—and showing cohesiveness in its offensive flow with new talent emerging. Plus, I’m grateful in this month of Thanksgiving to see a sticks up, aggressive defense with new contributors making an impact.

After watching the two scrimmages, I’m cautiously optimistic about the 2022 gauntlet, I mean, season.
Completely agree.

It is important to remember this is fall ball … and, boy, the Blue Jays’ performance sure looked good for a fall ball scrimmage.

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Look be all the fan you want to be but if you say stupid $#!+ - maybe expect it to be called out
I have been on LaxPower and FanLax for too long actually and I bet if I had the technological capabilities I could dig up countless silly evaluations - probably from one poster and one poster alone - about how great Hopkins was as the result of scrimmages - god forbid Hopkins actually won the first one or two real games. I join all the others in sincere thanks for your efforts HOB in providing us a little snippet of lacrosse but thread the needle passing in October DOES NOT MEAN ANYTHING. How about this thread the needle passing against Harvard in October 2015?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx88-GL-6Zs
Hopkins scored something like 18 goals - then knees started to blow out on a regular basis - Tinney couldn't play and '16 was a disaster. Keep repeating to yourself - "It's not even a movie It's not even a movie It's barely a trailer"

I have been clear about what I think currently about the team in '22
- They have offensive talent and a nice mixture of experience and youth - if Grimes/Peshko make the leap - Epstein stays healthy - and they even get some contributions from some new guys like an Evans/Phillips/Chauvette etc. they will likely score a decent number of goals in many games
- Narewski's injury is significant - even if he makes it back - patellar surgery is no joke - that's a big unknown - this team need possessions
- the goalie situation is unknown at this point
- the LSM situation is unclear at this point
- a defense that surrendered 12 goals per game lost their best defender
- Hopkins was virtually dead even in both ground balls and turnovers as their opponents last year and Hopkins main face-off man had 92 of Hopkins 385 ground balls. After Narewski - Hopkins had 2 players over 20 ground balls - Delaney and Reinson - ooops both gone. By comparison even with Lasalla's 137 ground balls UVA had 755 ground balls and they had 6 additional non face-off players over 30 each. 50/50 ground balls must improve for this team to be successful.

One would think they play Loyola around the 3rd or 4th game of the season - let's wait until at least then. Heck - I've seen the last 3 or so games at Johnny U - don't put that egg in your basket either
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:27 am Look be all the fan you want to be but if you say stupid $#!+ - maybe expect it to be called out
I have been on LaxPower and FanLax for too long actually and I bet if I had the technological capabilities I could dig up countless silly evaluations - probably from one poster and one poster alone - about how great Hopkins was as the result of scrimmages - god forbid Hopkins actually won the first one or two real games. I join all the others in sincere thanks for your efforts HOB in providing us a little snippet of lacrosse but thread the needle passing in October DOES NOT MEAN ANYTHING. How about this thread the needle passing against Harvard in October 2015?
Hopkins scored something like 18 goals - then knees started to blow out on a regular basis - Tinney couldn't play and '16 was a disaster. Keep repeating to yourself - "It's not even a movie It's not even a movie It's barely a trailer"

- They have offensive talent and a nice mixture of experience and youth - if Grimes/Peshko make the leap - Epstein stays healthy - and they even get some contributions from some new guys like an Evans/Phillips/Chauvette etc. they will likely score a decent number of goals in many games
- Narewski's injury is significant - even if he makes it back - patellar surgery is no joke - that's a big unknown - this team need possessions
- Hopkins was virtually dead even in both ground balls and turnovers as their opponents last year and Hopkins main face-off man had 92 of Hopkins 385 ground balls. After Narewski - Hopkins had 2 players over 20 ground balls - Delaney and Reinson - ooops both gone. By comparison even with Lasalla's 137 ground balls UVA had 755 ground balls and they had 6 additional non face-off players over 30 each. 50/50 ground balls must improve for this team to be successful.

One would think they play Loyola around the 3rd or 4th game of the season - let's wait until at least then. Heck - I've seen the last 3 or so games at Johnny U - don't put that egg in your basket either
Part of being a fan and enjoying the game is speculating in the off-season.

It’s why college football has pre-season rankings and bowl predictions. It’s why following college football recruiting rankings is practically a sport in itself.

Why take all of this so seriously and ruin the fun for the rest of us?

Blue Jays looked good in their scrimmage and some of us feel optimistic. Why rain on our parade by telling us not to feel optimistic?

Feel free to preach your gloom and doom. But don’t try to make the rest of us conform to your depressing sh*t view of the world.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:55 am
51percentcorn wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:27 am Look be all the fan you want to be but if you say stupid $#!+ - maybe expect it to be called out

Part of being a fan and enjoying the game is speculating in the off-season.

It’s why college football has pre-season rankings and bowl predictions. It’s why following college football recruiting rankings is practically a sport in itself.

Why take all of this so seriously and ruin the fun for the rest of us?

Blue Jays looked good in their scrimmage and some of us feel optimistic. Why rain on our parade by telling us not to feel optimistic?

Feel free to preach your gloom and doom. But don’t try to make the rest of us conform to your depressing sh*t view of the world.

DocBarrister :?
Buzzkill51
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Hoponboard wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:33 pm Yes, yes, it was fall ball. But when was the last time we’ve seen plenty of ‘thread the needle passing’ in an October scrimmage? By all means, slam the brakes on, we’re nearly three months away from the games counting.

Thanks for the great video work HOB!
Ryan Evans did look good! He was running on the first midfield and added some firepower to the line.
Both midfields looked good TBH and Grimes seems to be emerging.
But if you keep Grimes at midfield who plays the third attack spot?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:05 am But if you keep Grimes at midfield who plays the third attack spot?
Based on this scrimmage, Chauvette. He was reportedly showing well there last year before he got hurt. Though two huge caveats: 1) It's the fall — things can and likely will change 2) Maher didn't play. When healthy, he may be a factor there. Who knows.

Not that I think that spot is unimportant but you already have two capable dodgers/feeders/scorers on attack in DeSo and Epstein and then what seems like a pretty good amount of outside shooting ability across both midfield lines between Degnon, Grimes, and Peshko. Your bases are well covered so if there's anything lacking on offense it might be more of an off-ball inside finisher role. Whoever it is doesn't need to be an All-American, he just needs to understand how the offensive works and cash in on his opportunities. The right side of the offense with DeSo and Epstein attracts a ton of defensive attention.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:43 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:05 am But if you keep Grimes at midfield who plays the third attack spot?
Based on this scrimmage, Chauvette. He was reportedly showing well there last year before he got hurt. Though two huge caveats: 1) It's the fall — things can and likely will change 2) Maher didn't play. When healthy, he may be a factor there. Who knows.

Not that I think that spot is unimportant but you already have two capable dodgers/feeders/scorers on attack in DeSo and Epstein and then what seems like a pretty good amount of outside shooting ability across both midfield lines between Degnon, Grimes, and Peshko. Your bases are well covered so if there's anything lacking on offense it might be more of an off-ball inside finisher role. Whoever it is doesn't need to be an All-American, he just needs to understand how the offensive works and cash in on his opportunities. The right side of the offense with DeSo and Epstein attracts a ton of defensive attention.
A solid scoring/dodging threat at that third attack spot could also ensure that opponents put a longpole on only one of our middies. Agree that “solid” doesn’t require an All-American talent.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Unknown goalie situation sure but there is lots of reason for optimism. By all reports I’m hearing coming out it sounds like Kirson is trending to be the 4th goalie. If we have three guys better than him it sounds like we are on the verge of going into the season with some serious depth at a position that hasn’t had it in a long time.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Who says I take it all so seriously - just because I don't act or print speak like I am 10 years old?

Speculate - be a fan all you want - but saying a fall team after watching a 9 minute highlight video is the best passing and stick skills you have seen in the past 2 decades - again which includes 2 national championship teams and what 6 final fours - is patently absurd. How about this instead:
"Perhaps practice does matter given that those who watched the scrimmage thought Hopkins' offense looked very good and if they continue on this trajectory and avoid key injuries they could be better than their 12 goals per game pace over the second half of last season." That at least would appear to have come out of an adult's brain.

I actually am optimistic that they could be a good team this year. The schedule is brutal - while we can think we are building some mid-field depth - they need to avoid the injury bug - and they should be fun to watch. If a goalie materializes out of the mist maybe they make the tourney and win a game or two.

Grimes staying at mid-field if true - opens up a couple questions - if Keogh stays upright - a big if - is the 1st mid-field still Degnon with the two waterbugs so that the all soph line stays together? Or does Keogh get placed on the second so the 1st has 2 big shooters? Will Evans/Phillips/someone else really emerge for playing time? And then the third attack spot - '16 is correct - whomever it is - they will be identified as the weakest or maybe more accurately the least known link in the chain - they will receive opportunities and need to execute.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Right. So a poster who takes his valuble time to report to this board on the scrimmages and even goes so far as to post nicely filmed and edited highlights on YouTube offers a heavily caveated but optimistic view on the team's development (not a prediction of tournament appearances or wins/losses, mind you) and gets attacked for saying "stupid $h!t"? 51- I guarantee that whatever is going on in your life is not HOB's fault.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

I thought this was obvious but 51 was taking issue with Doc's ridiculous proclamation that a 9-minute fall ball highlight video marked the best passing and stick skills he's seen in two decades. He was not attacking HOB's very measured, evidence-based optimism (which is warranted, IMO).

One thing I was wondering — it looks like the Richmond scrimmage was Kirson and then Versfeld in goal, but I thought Webb played in this one? Did he just not make the highlight reel? Might be a good thing that he didn't.

There's that old adage, "if you have four goalies, you have none." I like the competition but we really need one guy to clearly emerge. With competent goalie play this team's ceiling is very high. With another year of 40% it's going to continue being a struggle with this schedule even if the rest of the team improves.
primitiveskills

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:39 am I thought this was obvious but 51 was taking issue with Doc's ridiculous proclamation that a 9-minute fall ball highlight video marked the best passing and stick skills he's seen in two decades. He was not attacking HOB's very measured, evidence-based optimism (which is warranted, IMO).

One thing I was wondering — it looks like the Richmond scrimmage was Kirson and then Versfeld in goal, but I thought Webb played in this one? Did he just not make the highlight reel? Might be a good thing that he didn't.

There's that old adage, "if you have four goalies, you have none." I like the competition but we really need one guy to clearly emerge. With competent goalie play this team's ceiling is very high. With another year of 40% it's going to continue being a struggle with this schedule even if the rest of the team improves.
My bad if true. Should have gone back further in the thread, I guess. In fairness, Doc was basically saying the same thing as HOB.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

primitiveskills wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:44 am In fairness, Doc was basically saying the same thing as HOB.
No he wasn't. I wasn't taking issue with a single thing HOB said. I offered that making any observation based on fall ball is riddled with complications. Perhaps I worded it a bit too strongly but I think I was able to offer some justification for my position with a video from October 2015 that HOB provided where I am sure there were off the moon observations about how great that team was going to be.
primitiveskills

Got it. Just trying to keep it civil. And momentarily panicked that HOB would take his ball and go home!

The way I interpret the clips from fall is this: I thoroughly enjoyed watching us play at the end of last season. It really looked like things were starting to click and we were playing really good lacrosse at both ends of the field. From this fall's snippets, it seems like that should continue. Our schedule is brutal, so who knows how many games we will win, but the style and quality of play is a refreshing change from a few years ago.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Chauvette is the new guy on EMOs.

Don’t sleep on Angelus for the third attack spot. Super quick, experienced, excellent feeder. Also, McDermott is another player you don’t want to take off the field. Equal prowess as a shooter and feeder.

The fact is attack/midfield distinctions don’t much matter for this team. Epstein, Deso, Grimes, et al are very versatile. The only time the offense lags is when the ball stays too long in a player’s pocket.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Hoponboard wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:12 pm

Chauvette is the new guy on EMOs.

Don’t sleep on Angelus for the third attack spot. Super quick, experienced, excellent feeder. Also, McDermott is another player you don’t want to take off the field. Equal prowess as a shooter and feeder.

The fact is attack/midfield distinctions don’t much matter for this team. Epstein, Deso, Grimes, et al are very versatile. The only time the offense lags is when the ball stays too long in a player’s pocket.
Point taken about the increasingly meaningless distinctions between midfield and attack BUT don't you want a left-handed player there for fast-break and transition opportunities? DeSo and Epstein are both relatively ambidextrous so it's not a huge deal for settled offensive sets (plus you have Degnon and Grimes as lefty shooters) but you generally want another kid to stand on that side who's proficient at catching and shooting quickly with his left hand.

Last year they kept a lefty there full time. It was Grimes for awhile with Williams at midfield and then they switched spots. They could have put Angelus there at any point but kept running him out of the box.

I really like Angelus as a player so this is not a knock on him, I'm just trying to game out what they might actually do. It seems they like running him out of the box for the matchup issues he presents and that they want a lefty on attack.

I think McDermott will eventually be a kid who never leaves the field but with DeSo and Epstein still around I'm betting it's at least another year of him rotating on and off.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

that was the best epstein has looked since 2019
the school lists grimes at attack on its website
angelus should get a ton of opportunities with teams keying in on degnon epstein and connor
lily and mabbet seemed to have earned the trust of the coaches from the start last year. we'll see, but they do have a lot of size that we haven't always had there
IL had a nice look at old pal UNC this week
still missing shots inside on those videos. maybe we can bring brandon benn back to teach the fundamentals of a 5 foot dunker. we had to have had one of the worst shooting percentages from inside last year
Quint has spent many many years using the term "hopkins has great stick work" as code for lacks speed agility athleticism and quickness at attack and on the midfield. to me the reference to a player says "hasn't physically matured at the d1 level".
I don't expect the third attack spot, lsm rotation, 3rd defense spot, goalie, or midfield lines to be finalized or won until late february. would probably take an all conference level performance from the outset to win those.
they've done throwbacks from time to time. with fans back in the stands might be cool. I don't know the history well enough to know what title anniversary is up and what jerseys would be sweetest.
51 was big on dylan bauer coming in. He did not see action last year according to his page. usually top 100 recruits get some run as frosh unless they're hurt.
thanks again to HOB.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:19 am Who says I take it all so seriously - just because I don't act or print speak like I am 10 years old?

Speculate - be a fan all you want - but saying a fall team after watching a 9 minute highlight video is the best passing and stick skills you have seen in the past 2 decades - again which includes 2 national championship teams and what 6 final fours - is patently absurd. How about this instead:
"Perhaps practice does matter given that those who watched the scrimmage thought Hopkins' offense looked very good and if they continue on this trajectory and avoid key injuries they could be better than their 12 goals per game pace over the second half of last season." That at least would appear to have come out of an adult's brain.

I actually am optimistic that they could be a good team this year. The schedule is brutal - while we can think we are building some mid-field depth - they need to avoid the injury bug - and they should be fun to watch. If a goalie materializes out of the mist maybe they make the tourney and win a game or two.

Grimes staying at mid-field if true - opens up a couple questions - if Keogh stays upright - a big if - is the 1st mid-field still Degnon with the two waterbugs so that the all soph line stays together? Or does Keogh get placed on the second so the 1st has 2 big shooters? Will Evans/Phillips/someone else really emerge for playing time? And then the third attack spot - '16 is correct - whomever it is - they will be identified as the weakest or maybe more accurately the least known link in the chain - they will receive opportunities and need to execute.
You can say"he". Only men here. PC not indicated.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I don't know details but I thought Bauer was identified as being injured last season.

I think '16 is on the mark - your xmas list for the third attackman would be a left hander with a combo of decent velocity and great placement along with an ability to catch and finish inside - he doesn't have to be Mr. dodger this season - he has to be a threat to keep the defense rotating

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”