All Things Environment

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
tech37

Re: All Things Environment

Post by tech37 »

A wealth of climate info:

https://judithcurry.com/

If google blocks the link, try a different browser
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

If Google blocks the link…
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Somebody jumped to conclusions on Hertz-Tesla…

Elon Musk Says Tesla Hasn’t Signed Deal With Hertz Despite Earlier Announcement
‘We will only sell cars to Hertz for the same margin as to consumers,’ the Tesla CEO says in a tweet

Hertz said last month that it was ordering 100,000 Teslas to be delivered to the rental-car company by the end of next year.
PHOTO: JOHN G MABANGLO/SHUTTERSTOCK
By Omar Abdel-Baqui
Updated Nov. 2, 2021 8:39 am ET

SAVE

TEXT

Listen to article
Length 3 minutes

Queue
Tesla Inc. TSLA 8.49% Chief Executive Elon Musk said the electric-vehicle maker hasn’t signed a deal with Hertz Global Holdings Inc. HTZZ 10.09% yet, which appeared to contradict a Hertz announcement late last month that the company was ordering 100,000 Teslas.

“I’d like to emphasize that no contract has been signed yet,” Mr. Musk said in a tweet late Monday. “Tesla has far more demand than production, therefore we will only sell cars to Hertz for the same margin as to consumers. Hertz deal has zero effect on our economics,” he said.

Representatives for Hertz and Tesla weren’t immediately available for comment.

In late October, Hertz said it ordered 100,000 Teslas to be delivered to the rental-car company by the end of next year, a bulk purchase that promised to expose more mainstream drivers to Tesla’s technology.

NEWSLETTER SIGN-UP
The 10-Point.

A personal, guided tour to the best scoops and stories every day in The Wall Street Journal.

PREVIEW
SUBSCRIBE
Hertz said last month it was “announcing a significant investment to offer the largest EV rental fleet in North America and one of the largest in the world. This includes an initial order of 100,000 Teslas by the end of 2022 and new EV charging infrastructure across the company’s global operations.”

Hertz in its statement said it was partnering with NFL quarterback Tom Brady to promote Tesla’s EV campaign. The company’s online press release included a video interview with Mr. Brady discussing his experiences with EVs.

Tesla didn’t put out a press release when Hertz announced the deal.

Mr. Musk at the time tweeted: “Strange that moved valuation, as Tesla is very much a production ramp problem, not a demand problem.” He added in a separate tweet: “To be clear, cars sold to Hertz have no discount. Same price as to consumers.”

Tesla shares dropped 3.7% premarket. The stock has soared in recent days following the Hertz announcement, topping $1 trillion in market value. Mr. Musk’s personal net worth also exceeded $300 billion in the days following the announcement and was recently $335 billion, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index.

Hertz shares have risen 38% since the Tesla deal was announced on Oct. 25.

Hertz had said that Tesla Model 3s would be available for customers to rent in some markets beginning in early November. It said electric vehicles would comprise more than 20% of its global fleet including the Tesla order.

Rental-car companies including Hertz have struggled to meet demand as post-vaccination travel ramped up and as a semiconductor shortage stalled vehicle production.

Elon Musk Welcomes Visitors to Tesla’s First Gigafactory in Europe
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

UP NEXT

0:00 / 0:45
In October, Tesla CEO Elon Musk turned his first European Gigafactory near Berlin into a fairground where visitors could tour the facility. The project faced some delays and local resistance but Musk said the company expects to start production in November. Photo: Patrick Pleul/Associated Press
Write to Omar Abdel-Baqui at [email protected]
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

https://news.yahoo.com/president-biden- ... 04099.html

Only a power nap, came out refreshed on the other side.. :lol: :lol:
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Nah ha, ain’t no way the gubmimt gonna regulate my farts!

Methane Regulations Are an Easy Win
The EPA’s tightened methane regulations were a low-hanging fruit, with little pain for oil majors and motorists

The Environmental Protection Agency’s tighter methane regulations won’t have an equal impact on all producers.
PHOTO: PAUL RATJE/AFP/GETTY IMAGES
By Jinjoo Lee
Updated Nov. 3, 2021 3:01 pm ET

Stricter federal methane regulations are probably one of the few areas where environmentalists, oil majors and the top oil lobbying group are all on the same page. That makes it a slam dunk for President Biden.

On Tuesday, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency announced tightened methane rules that would, among other things, seek to regulate emissions at existing wells for the first time. It also places more stringent requirements on new wells. The EPA estimates that the rules will reduce methane emissions from covered sources by 74%, compared with 2005 levels.

Methane tends to escape from oil and gas wells and even from equipment such as tanks and pipes. Although carbon dioxide is the largest contributor to global warming, methane is more potent, trapping roughly 85 times as much heat. Given all the equipment available today to monitor and curb methane leaks, the move has high environmental bang for the buck. It even makes sense financially for some natural-gas producers, for whom more leaked methane translates to less commodity sold.

The shift is far from simple, though. The EPA rules won’t be finalized until next year after a public-comment period, for example. The other unknown is the fate of the social and climate spending bill in Congress, which includes measures that bolster methane regulation further—for example, by banning flaring and venting of natural-gas drilling sites on public lands. Congress even is proposing a methane fee, which oil lobbyists don’t support.

The EPA’s tighter regulations won’t have an equal impact on all producers. It will be far costlier for those that own older, less productive wells, which tend to spew a lot more methane. Diversified Energy, which owns a large collection of older wells, saw its shares dive 9.8% on Tuesday after the EPA’s announcement. If Congress does end up passing a methane fee, much of the estimated $1.3 billion in industrywide costs (starting in 2025) will be borne by smaller producers, according to Artem Abramov, head of shale research at Rystad Energy.

Plugging Away
Methane intensity by company
Source: Wood Mackenzie, company reports
Note: Methane intensity is measured in tons of carbon dioxide equivalent per thousand​barrels of oil equivalent produced
Callon Petroleum
Centennial Resource
ConocoPhillips
Continental Resources
Diamondback Energy
EOG Resources
Oasis Petroleum
Ovintiv
PDC Energy
Pioneer Natural​Resources
SM Energy
0 tCO2e/kboe
Well-capitalized oil and gas companies will emerge relatively unscathed from the new EPA rules. Big companies, despite former President Donald Trump’s reversal of Obama-era methane regulations in 2016, have steadily reduced methane intensity since that year, according to Rystad Energy. Exxon Mobil set a goal to reduce methane intensity by 40% to 50% from 2016 by 2025. Chevron CVX -0.72% targets a 50% reduction from 2016 levels by 2028.

Compared to oil producers, which have a track record of flaring less-lucrative natural gas, those focused on natural gas are likely to be less impacted because there is already more incentive to capture methane for sale, notes Anuj Goyal, senior analyst of corporate research at Wood Mackenzie. Natural-gas producer Antero Resources boasts a methane-leak loss rate of less than 0.025%, while Range Resources RRC -0.38% estimates its methane intensity in 2020 was 0.012% of production. By comparison, a group of higher-emitting producers averages 0.7% in methane intensity, according to Rystad Energy.

What does this mean for the industry overall? The larger players might find an opportunity to grab a few bargain deals, though there won’t be any easy finds. Potential acquirers, with their laser focus on capital discipline, will be loath to buy assets that require substantial further investment.

Money is a sticking point in climate-change negotiations around the world. As economists warn that limiting global warming to 1.5 degrees Celsius will cost many more trillions than anticipated, WSJ looks at how the funds could be spent, and who would pay. Illustration: Preston Jessee/WSJ

The ultimate cost of compliance is a moving target, but S&P Global Platts Analytics estimates that the tightened EPA rules could cost as much as $4 to $10 a barrel for a marginal well in its first year to fix leaks and install a flare stack, if there isn’t one. For newer sources of production, incremental compliance is estimated to cost as much as 10 cents a barrel. The EPA itself estimates that the maximum projected oil-price change as a result of the regulation would be a 6-cent increase per barrel of oil in 2026 and a 5-cent increase per million cubic feet of natural gas.

Those price increases should go down easily with both Big Oil and motorists. Methane fees will be another story.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Global warming.......yet, it is cold.

is this why climate change is a thing.........did Olgelvy Mather come up with the stragtegy..........
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

So how will they be enticed to chase the brass ring?

‘The Greek word neo means “young, new”. We can thus coin a word, neocide, meaning “the deliberate killing of young people and future generations”.‘

P.S. Forget about Social Security — we’ll be lucky to dodge the gibbet.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:53 pm So how will they be enticed to chase the brass ring?

‘The Greek word neo means “young, new”. We can thus coin a word, neocide, meaning “the deliberate killing of young people and future generations”.‘

P.S. Forget about Social Security — we’ll be lucky to dodge the gibbet.
Sounds like an excuse. Is she at Oberlin protesting to get paid to protest?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

For those interested in doing something that is within your control that would help tremendously.

How to beat climate change.

My wife and I are largely already there. Every appliance is electric. Primary power is wind turbine supplied by utility company. No gas, no wood, no oil for heating, cooking, etc. Backup generator is tri-fuel, non-renewable energy whole house, but is hardly ever used. Our sole deficiency is our cars. Both are fuel efficient, well maintained decade+ old. I hardly ever use mine, my wife's is our primary auto, a RAV 4 with a quarter million miles on it. Next auto will be electric to replace the RAV 4, will probably never replace mine.

This is not virtue signaling, it is just an illustration of how straight forward it is to do something that makes sense for the planet. You are participating in a workable plan that will help the planet.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:07 pm For those interested in doing something that is within your control that would help tremendously.

My wife and I are largely already there. Every appliance is electric. Primary power is wind turbine supplied by utility company. No gas, no wood, no oil for heating, cooking, etc. Backup generator is tri-fuel, non-renewable energy whole house, but is hardly ever used. Our sole deficiency is our cars. Both are fuel efficient, well maintained decade+ old. I hardly ever use mine, my wife's is our primary auto, a RAV 4 with a quarter million miles on it. Next auto will be electric to replace the RAV 4, will probably never replace mine.

This is not virtue signaling, it is just an illustration of how straight forward it is to do something that makes sense for the planet. You are participating in a workable plan that will help the planet.
How much did your wind turbine system cost? You think it is a viable option for the average middle class American? Hell a geothermal system for heating would be the cats ass for all if us. I believe the estimate for retrofitting an existing house is about 20 to 50 grand. Not exactly chicken feed.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:17 pm
jhu72 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:07 pm For those interested in doing something that is within your control that would help tremendously.

How much did your wind turbine system cost? You think it is a viable option for the average middle class American? Hell a geothermal system for heating would be the cats ass for all if us. I believe the estimate for retrofitting an existing house is about 20 to 50 grand. Not exactly chicken feed.
... The power is wind turbine owned by the utility company. They sell shares of the output and bill you monthly, just like your normal electric bill. They have a mix of sources, you can choose from. This is not a play to get the cheapest energy, although that will likely be how it ends up. They move into renewables as the customer demand supports it. We have been doing this for 3 or 4 years. When we switched to this plan it was cheaper than our local fossil fuel energy supplier. Out local fossil fuel supplier is the distributor, but the energy is supplied by a separate company. We are billed by the local network owner, our original fossil fuel supplier. The energy supplier gets paid by the power distributor.

My wife who manages this tells me she has switched us to a plan that mixes wind and solar, because it is cheaper, but it is mostly wind. The company that supplies the power is Clearview Energy. Remember this is not about lowest cost, it is about doing something to help the planet. Wife feels it is competitive, but probably a little more than we would pay if we still did fossil fuel. I just looked at our last two bills and think it is very reasonable compared to what I recall before we switched to this plan.

The company has a web site. clearviewenergy.com

We had looked into geothermal, and it was expensive like you say, for us slightly over 50K as I recall.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Wind isn’t that easy everywhere. Read an interview w CEO of Southern Co and they have to import wind generated power from the Midwest. Solar panels have a near 20yr payback just not worth it for the upfront cost now that subsidies have shrunk to very little. My office is less than 2mi from my house, getting rid of it end of year anyway, but I can ride a bike at my laptops in a backpack to driving is only for road trips at this point. Got nest thermostats. That’s the extent of me doing my part for now.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

It’s crazy out there. For example Dominion power here in Virginia has very low rates but crushes you on setting “peaks”. We’ve seen customers trying to to save money/energy by running their building with with fewer hours....only to have the energy bills be more expensive, because of peak demands.

Had them run everything longer hours but staring up before peaks are in play ...using more KWH in total, but not tripping the more expensive peak. A bit of proof it’s about the power companies chasing more cash.

Counter intuitive for wasting energy, but working the system to avoid higher costs.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:28 pm

Wind isn’t that easy everywhere. Read an interview w CEO of Southern Co and they have to import wind generated power from the Midwest. Solar panels have a near 20yr payback just not worth it for the upfront cost now that subsidies have shrunk to very little. My office is less than 2mi from my house, getting rid of it end of year anyway, but I can ride a bike at my laptops in a backpack to driving is only for road trips at this point. Got nest thermostats. That’s the extent of me doing my part for now.
The UK went from 40% coal-powered energy to just 2% in a decade. The UK plans to end all coal-generated power in 2024.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/end- ... tober-2024

The UK’s heavy investment in wind power made that possible.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna2998

There’s no reason the U.S. couldn’t accomplish something similar. Unfortunately, Republican fossil fuel morons are continually blocking our path to the future.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

- no question availability and prices will vary by region and power company at this time. The key point is that renewable will be coming into the house at a good price as we move forward. Timing will vary, but the network will deliver it with declining prices. Tie-ing in homeowner owned power generation of all types will be handled by the distribution grid with sell back to the grid. Biden's plan is aligned to support this type of go forward plan. If you stick with electric appliances for heating, cooking, hot water, etc., you should have no problem. Driving down energy usage will be the job of industry making more efficient electrical appliances. It is a sustainable design. Fossil fuel delivery (pipes) to the home will ultimately go away most likely.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:25 pm

- no question availability and prices will vary by region and power company at this time. The key point is that renewable will be coming into the house at a good price as we move forward. Timing will vary, but the network will deliver it with declining prices. Tie-ing in homeowner owned power generation of all types will be handled by the distribution grid with sell back to the grid. Biden's plan is aligned to support this type of go forward plan. If you stick with electric appliances for heating, cooking, hot water, etc., you should have no problem. Driving down energy usage will be the job of industry making more efficient electrical appliances. It is a sustainable design. Fossil fuel delivery (pipes) to the home will ultimately go away most likely.
I can't use a electric stovetop, sorry. Thought the solar panel prices would get more market competitive by now but they haven't.

CEO of BofA made a statement that the public sector can't handle the transformation away from fossil fuels and hes probably right. Has to come from private capital.

I pitched to my sister for her very modest retirement account that she look at Nextera, formerly Florida Power and Light. They were an early adopter of renewables in their generation portfolio as a consolidated energy provider (as you've noted there's been largely a separation of the highly regulated T&D and generation in many areas of the country, mostly in the 90s and early 2000s I believe). I still think there's an appropriate place for Nuclear in the overall portfolio.
Carroll81

Post by Carroll81 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:31 pm
jhu72 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:25 pm

I can't use a electric stovetop, sorry. Thought the solar panel prices would get more market competitive by now but they haven't.

CEO of BofA made a statement that the public sector can't handle the transformation away from fossil fuels and hes probably right. Has to come from private capital.

I pitched to my sister for her very modest retirement account that she look at Nextera, formerly Florida Power and Light. They were an early adopter of renewables in their generation portfolio as a consolidated energy provider (as you've noted there's been largely a separation of the highly regulated T&D and generation in many areas of the country, mostly in the 90s and early 2000s I believe). I still think there's an appropriate place for Nuclear in the overall portfolio.
Have you tried induction? Skeptical at first, but now sold on it. You may have to buy some new pans, but it heats fast and has quite a bit of temperature control. Used just a cast iron skillet and dutch oven for w few months when we first got it. Added other pans as needed.

Seeing the same on pricing for residential solar here in PA.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Got this on in background if anyone sees it and is free until 1 and interested

Impact Finance Center
1,690 followers
40m40 minutes ago
Follow

Hey everyone! Thank you for all your support and interest in our New York State CDFI Impact Investing Institute webinar today. Starting soon! 12 pm ET / 10 am MT. We look forward to virtually seeing you today: https://lnkd.in/euJheXd5

Return to “POLITICS”