Navy 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
youthathletics

Re: Navy 2022

Post by youthathletics »

old salt wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:05 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:21 pm I won’t disagree OS, but let’s also be pragmatic, and know XA did have a choice to do both sports at Navy and one didn’t count....as far as playtime mattered. And JA was not going to get anywhere near that with a 10’ pole.
...are you saying he wouldn't have had a chance at playing time had he chosen lax ? YESI agree that so long as he's playing QB there's little chance he can play lax, especially since he had no TO experience, no NAPS & a covid stunted 2020 preseason. If he doesn't nail down the starting QB job this season he could still switch to lax this coming spring.

It'll be interesting to see how he does the rest of this season. KN took over play calling from IJ last season & moved IJ from the press box to the sideline in 2020 to gameday coach the QBs. Apparently KN has wanted to diversify the offense, IJ wanted to do all-TO. Who knows how that will impact XA ? Of the 3 QB's, XA has the least TO experience & is the least proficient passer of the 3, ...but KN starts him. Lot's tbd -- what will the offense look like without IJ & will Lavatai come back & win the starter job again ? Masai could now be in the running for starter. May need all 3, it's going to be a brutal stretch for the next 7 games.
Note above in red.

Keeping with the football theme, I could also make a case why IJ would want to keep the TO...assuming that it is true he wanted to be all in TO. In order for it work, your offensive line MUST be able to control the defensive line in some meaningful way. The O-line was not in IJ's realm of responsibility per say, there are 2-3 other coaches in charge of them.

Ken has a big decision to make.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

I know this is regarding beyond 2022. But wow, is Amplo doing some fine recruiting now or what!?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

gymman1031 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:44 am I know this is regarding beyond 2022. But wow, is Amplo doing some fine recruiting now or what!?
indeed.....its been a great couple weeks.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:04 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:44 am I know this is regarding beyond 2022. But wow, is Amplo doing some fine recruiting now or what!?
Wow, Amplo is ON FIRE! Since you posted that, he got commits from one 5* and one 4* 2023 player.
old salt

Post by old salt »

gymman1031 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:42 pm
Wow, Amplo is ON FIRE! Since you posted that, he got commits from one 5* and one 4* 2023 player.
Coaches too.

https://navysports.com/news/2021/9/21/m ... anges.aspx
lorin

Post by lorin »

old salt wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:37 am
Coaches too.

Good god Army has no chance down the road, one big commit after another.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

lorin wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:47 am
old salt wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:37 am
Coaches too.

Good god Army has no chance down the road, one big commit after another.
:lol:
~Livy

The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Yes! Very promising. I hope they are direct entry -- it just feels like so many guys get peeled off from NAPS. (I know opinions differ on this.)
old salt

Post by old salt »

So does Xavier play attack or midfield this spring, ...or slotback ?
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

As long as he plays with a lacrosse stick in his hands it is fine with me.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Great question. We just don’t know what’s in his heart. Football seems to be his leading passion. Does he take the long look and gamble on filling a spot on the gridiron and not pissing off Ken and Ivan or say I’m gonna send it and go have some fun playing lacrosse.

Another question....does he stay after this year.
~Livy

TheGoat1999

Post by TheGoat1999 »

Blue vs. Gold Scrimmage from Rip last Friday night was enjoyable and electric. The MIDS were flying high and overall play was strong.

Players that looked in mid-season form were

Gold - #32 , #29 #64 # 5, # 54 and #48

Blue -# 12, # 22, #14 #34, # 30 and #21

Navy has young talent all over the field.

Blue 9 Gold 8 , final
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

This past weekend they dedicated the Owen Thorp Wardroom that we opened in the locker room.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVobjnaJsu5 ... hare_sheet
old salt

Post by old salt »

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... 1-56066497
A frenetic pace followed that could be a sign of what we’ll see from Navy in 2022. Some o-mids have shifted to a two-way role, and they expect them to push the pace and score. It’s an athletic group, and with a roster of 60-plus they’ll try to outrun teams. And they’re young.
lorin

Post by lorin »

old salt wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:09 pm https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... 1-56066497
A frenetic pace followed that could be a sign of what we’ll see from Navy in 2022. Some o-mids have shifted to a two-way role, and they expect them to push the pace and score. It’s an athletic group, and with a roster of 60-plus they’ll try to outrun teams. And they’re young.
Future looks bright for Navy.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Watching a bit of the Navy at Notre Dame football game yesterday, I was pleasantly surprised to see that Navy's quarterback was Xavier Arline, who played HS lacrosse on Long Island with the son of a friend. Sure enough, early in the 2nd half, NBC's announcers picked up on the lacrosse angle, showed a HS pic of Xavier in lacrosse garb, talked about Shoreham Wading River HS's lacrosse successes. Then, during a break in the football action, they showed the younger NBC announcer with a lacrosse stick, claiming and demonstrating how throwing a lacrosse ball is like a QB throwing a football, saying that lacrosse is a terrific secondary or complementary sport. Previously on FanLax, I'd complained how Carc and his ESPN buddies over-emphasized college lax players' other HS sports, so it was nice to see big-time college football announcers giving a shout-out to lacrosse. Arline had committed to UNC Tar Heel lacrosse, but overall the Annapolis football offer was better for him, and I can certainly understand and appreciate his choice to go to the Naval Academy.
old salt

Post by old salt »

FannOLax wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:12 am Watching a bit of the Navy at Notre Dame football game yesterday, I was pleasantly surprised to see that Navy's quarterback was Xavier Arline, who played HS lacrosse on Long Island with the son of a friend. Sure enough, early in the 2nd half, NBC's announcers picked up on the lacrosse angle, showed a HS pic of Xavier in lacrosse garb, talked about Shoreham Wading River HS's lacrosse successes. Then, during a break in the football action, they showed the younger NBC announcer with a lacrosse stick, claiming and demonstrating how throwing a lacrosse ball is like a QB throwing a football, saying that lacrosse is a terrific secondary or complementary sport. Previously on FanLax, I'd complained how Carc and his ESPN buddies over-emphasized college lax players' other HS sports, so it was nice to see big-time college football announcers giving a shout-out to lacrosse. Arline had committed to UNC Tar Heel lacrosse, but overall the Annapolis football offer was better for him, and I can certainly understand and appreciate his choice to go to the Naval Academy.
That was cool. The announcer was future NFL hall of fame QB Drew Brees. He also said lax is his favorite crossover sport & that he's encouraging his kids to play lax. The other announcer was Mike Tirico (Syracuse '88) who was obviously well informed on LI lax.

Given the apparent extent of the injury to Navy's starting QB, it looks like Xavier is the starter again. Navy now heads into the softer portion of their toughest season sched in the modern era. They host ECU this week then play at Temple before the finale vs Army.

This will be Xavier's chance to seize the starting position, or not. As a spread QB in HS, he is still struggling with taking the snap from under center, making the reads necessary to run the triple offense & being a drop back passing QB. He has yet to show the passing ability of a FBS QB.

Things are in flux for Navy FB. These last 3 games will likely determine the future of this Navy coaching staff & if they depart, whether Navy continues to run the triple option.

These last 3 games might bring some clarity. It was hoped that Xavier would become the next Malcom Perry but he has yet to play behind an OL that generates the necessary openings. 3 of the last 4 seasons, Navy's offense has been dysfunctional. Everything has to work in sync to generate the opportunity for Xavier to use his Perry-like explosive open field running ability. We've seen flashes, but not often enough to build a game plan around him.

Navy FB plays much of the same tough sched in '22, before the 3 top AAC teams jump to the Big 12 in '23 or '24.
It's approaching post-season decision time for Xavier. Does he stick with FB or give lax a shot this spring.
Whatever he chooses, I hope he gets the opportunity to fulfill his awesome potential.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

old salt wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:10 am
FannOLax wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:12 am Watching a bit of the Navy at Notre Dame football game yesterday, I was pleasantly surprised to see that Navy's quarterback was Xavier Arline, who played HS lacrosse on Long Island with the son of a friend. Sure enough, early in the 2nd half, NBC's announcers picked up on the lacrosse angle, showed a HS pic of Xavier in lacrosse garb, talked about Shoreham Wading River HS's lacrosse successes. Then, during a break in the football action, they showed the younger NBC announcer with a lacrosse stick, claiming and demonstrating how throwing a lacrosse ball is like a QB throwing a football, saying that lacrosse is a terrific secondary or complementary sport. Previously on FanLax, I'd complained how Carc and his ESPN buddies over-emphasized college lax players' other HS sports, so it was nice to see big-time college football announcers giving a shout-out to lacrosse. Arline had committed to UNC Tar Heel lacrosse, but overall the Annapolis football offer was better for him, and I can certainly understand and appreciate his choice to go to the Naval Academy.
That was cool. The announcer was future NFL hall of fame QB Drew Brees. He also said lax is his favorite crossover sport & that he's encouraging his kids to play lax. The other announcer was Mike Tirico (Syracuse '88) who was obviously well informed on LI lax.

Given the apparent extent of the injury to Navy's starting QB, it looks like Xavier is the starter again. Navy now heads into the softer portion of their toughest season sched in the modern era. They host ECU this week then play at Temple before the finale vs Army.

This will be Xavier's chance to seize the starting position, or not. As a spread QB in HS, he is still struggling with taking the snap from under center, making the reads necessary to run the triple offense & being a drop back passing QB. He has yet to show the passing ability of a FBS QB.

Things are in flux for Navy FB. These last 3 games will likely determine the future of this Navy coaching staff & if they depart, whether Navy continues to run the triple option.

These last 3 games might bring some clarity. It was hoped that Xavier would become the next Malcom Perry but he has yet to play behind an OL that generates the necessary openings. 3 of the last 4 seasons, Navy's offense has been dysfunctional. Everything has to work in sync to generate the opportunity for Xavier to use his Perry-like explosive open field running ability. We've seen flashes, but not often enough to build a game plan around him.

Navy FB plays much of the same tough sched in '22, before the 3 top AAC teams jump to the Big 12 in '23 or '24.
It's approaching post-season decision time for Xavier. Does he stick with FB or give lax a shot this spring.
Whatever he chooses, I hope he gets the opportunity to fulfill his awesome potential.
As a Navy fan...I hope for two things (i) they lose all their remaining game if they dig their heels in with the TO and little passing or (ii) they go down swinging by increasing their playbook with more passing.

By comparison Army gains over 100 more yards in passing, twice the yards/pass, over 100 more yards total offense per game, more than twice the touchdowns, which accounts for more than 700 additional yards of total offense. In a game of inches.

And if XA is comfortable in a spread....then improvise, adapt, and overcome. This is the same damned problem we had with Navy MLAX...shoe horning talented players into a downhill and die offense, hoping we could beat the damned clock before the game gets away form us.
~Livy

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

6-5 navy end of 1st
~Livy

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”