2022 Fantasy Lacrosse Draft

D1 Mens Fantasy Lacrosse
ohmilax34

Re: 2022 Fantasy Lacrosse Draft

Post by ohmilax34 »

PALax11 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:59 am
ohmilax34 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:50 am Just because someone is in the portal doesn't mean they are going to transfer. Xander Dickson was in the portal and stayed at UVA. This is certainly a gray area, but him being on a roster should mean something.
True he may not transfer, doesn't always work out. That is part of the risk. It was recently announced and I can't imagine Richmond is rushing to scrub the roster. They of course are hoping he will return.
It was announced exactly a month ago, so not real recent. I have no idea when the roster was updated for this season.
PALax11

Post by PALax11 »

Okay so more recently than 98% of the players in the portal.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

I get that we are allowed to draft freshmen who aren't yet on a roster, because that school hasn't updated their roster yet and the player has announced their intentions of joining that team and enrolling in that school.

Connell is on a roster of a team we can't draft from and hasn't announced that he's transferring to a school we can draft from. I get that's he's a risk. That still doesn't explain how he's eligible for us to draft.
greenielax

Post by greenielax »

PALax11 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:35 am .@SpiderMLAX attackman Richie Connell has entered the NCAA's transfer portal, multiple sources told @Inside_lacrosse. A big lefty from Colorado, Connell was a 2nd Team All-SoCon pick with 35g/7a in 2021, leading the team in goals during his first two years at Richmond.
I saw this too and thought about it, but I sort of assumed (perhaps wrongly) that the fact he appeared on the Spiders 2021-22 roster meant he was staying. His buddy, Mustang Sally, was rumored to be going with him wherever he went, and he's still on the roster, too. Maybe they couldn't negotiate a package deal...

As to ohmi's point, didn't we have a similar discussion last year (or the year before) about Nick DeMaio? The ruling was that he couldn't be drafted on speculation, but only when he appeared on UMd's roster, which hadn't been posted yet.
fcalax

Post by fcalax »

Yeah we need to get clarity on this drafting players not on offical rosters....which is why I asked.

In true honesty I was asking in regards to Brian Cameron who left UNC, but has not enrolled yet at Rutgers so is not on campus or rostered in anyway.

The problem also is people are announcing there "entering into the transfer portal" for the 22-23 season now....sometimes 2 years in advance, knowing that they are going to finish out at their current school, but letting coaches know they are planning to due a 5th year of eligibility / grad year somewhere else.
greenielax

Post by greenielax »

Possibly final drop: Riley Forte M Hofstra

Add: Regan Quinn M UVa
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

fcalax wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:17 pm Yeah we need to get clarity on this drafting players not on offical rosters....which is why I asked.

In true honesty I was asking in regards to Brian Cameron who left UNC, but has not enrolled yet at Rutgers so is not on campus or rostered in anyway.

The problem also is people are announcing there "entering into the transfer portal" for the 22-23 season now....sometimes 2 years in advance, knowing that they are going to finish out at their current school, but letting coaches know they are planning to due a 5th year of eligibility / grad year somewhere else.
It is good to have a clear guideline. However, if an owner takes a risk and it does not work out so be it. If a player is listed as transferring, but they don't get in the school or have a change of plans, then the owner has to live with a player they can never start. It is similar to having someone on your roster that has a season ending injury or is kicked off a team.

I am OK with owners taking speculative risks. It leaves more safe options for the rest of us. However, if those risky upside players land on a roster with playing time, it was worth it for the owner.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

greenielax wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:32 pm Possibly final drop: Riley Forte M Hofstra

CalLaxDad dropped him from his roster.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

The issue to me is having one set of rules and standards so everyone is operating w one rule book. Changes should be implemented the before the following year’s draft in order to prevent owner gaining an advantage bcs he doesn’t follow the commonly understood rule set.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

DU-fan wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:43 pm
fcalax wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:17 pm Yeah we need to get clarity on this drafting players not on offical rosters....which is why I asked.

It is good to have a clear guideline. However, if an owner takes a risk and it does not work out so be it. If a player is listed as transferring, but they don't get in the school or have a change of plans, then the owner has to live with a player they can never start. It is similar to having someone on your roster that has a season ending injury or is kicked off a team.

I am OK with owners taking speculative risks. It leaves more safe options for the rest of us. However, if those risky upside players land on a roster with playing time, it was worth it for the owner.
I don't think anyone's saying that there shouldn't have some risk. Every pick has some risk. That still doesn't explain to me how Connell is eligible when he's on a roster of a team that isn't eligible and we have no idea where he'll end up.

This is in our rules
Eligible Players
Only players from the participating NCAA D1 Teams are eligible to be drafted. Only players on the roster of the official website of an NCAA D1 Team are eligible to be drafted. You are able to draft:
a. All not-already-claimed players from the participating NCAA D1 Teams.
b. All incoming freshman to the participating NCAA D1 Teams.
c. All not-already-claimed players that are transferring to the participating NCAA D1 Teams.
I admit that there is a gray area. Maddog drafted Carter Rice who has presumedly signed an NLI with Syracuse and has announced he'll be attending Syracuse and playing lacrosse. Syracuse hasn't updated their roster and so Rice is not on a roster of a participating NCAA team, but Maddog can draft Rice and put "Syracuse" next to his name because Rice has made his intentions clear that he'll be attending a school with an eligible fanlax team.

If the first sentence said "Only players from the participating NCAA D1 Teams are eligible to earn fantasy points", that would be different.
PALax11

Post by PALax11 »

Unusual times with pandemic impact and so many players in the portal given the granted extra year of eligibility. Drafting in the fall leaves a lot of data gaps that will be filled come spring. I had privately asked a similar question and took the chance. Since we're rolling, it appears to be a valid pick, albeit risky with tons of upside.

Curiosity question. Coaches allude to program connections and inside information. What if I have inside information? What if since this information is not in the public domain, I am choosing to be respectful and not share?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

greenielax wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:32 pm Possibly final drop: Riley Forte M Hofstra

Final drop but still picking up players, yes? If no, who am i missing?

Greenielax
1 Chris Connolly SR A Umass
2 Mike Hawkins SR A Notre Dame
3 Cam Rubin SO A Penn
4 Will Cory JR A UVA
5 Caleb Kueber SR A Denver
6 Peter Garno JR M UVA
8 Regan Quinn SR M UVA
9 David Lipka SR M Notre Dame
10 Jacob Buttermore SR M Syracuse
11 Mitch Bartolo SR M Rutgers
12 Jake Stevens SR M Princeton
14 Georgetown D
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

That is a lot of Srs
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

PALax11 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:59 pm Unusual times with pandemic impact and so many players in the portal given the granted extra year of eligibility. Drafting in the fall leaves a lot of data gaps that will be filled come spring. I had privately asked a similar question and took the chance. Since we're rolling, it appears to be a valid pick, albeit risky with tons of upside.

Curiosity question. Coaches allude to program connections and inside information. What if I have inside information? What if since this information is not in the public domain, I am choosing to be respectful and not share?
If that's the case, I respect that you are keeping some private for someone else. If that's the case, then maybe this pick isn't as risky as you're letting on.

OC brings up the issue of all playing by the same rules. This one feels like it doesn't fit within the rules. Agree that these pandemic times are causing some transfer jumble. Maybe we need to sort out the rules before we allow this. I'd like Matt to weigh in more.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

GenghiskhanBluejay picking. GCCLax on deck. Hip catching up.
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

ohmilax34 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:16 pmI'd like Matt to weigh in more.
My concern, like others have mentioned, is a coach having an unfair advantage. I don't think PA, FCA, or otherwise selecting a possible transfer gives them an unfair advantage. Also as others have mentioned, this draft is a unique draft. With it being October and more so, it being post-pandemic. This aspect of the draft cannot be ignored.
Caddy Day
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

ohmilax34 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:56 pm
DU-fan wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:43 pm

I don't think anyone's saying that there shouldn't have some risk. Every pick has some risk. That still doesn't explain to me how Connell is eligible when he's on a roster of a team that isn't eligible and we have no idea where he'll end up.

This is in our rules
Eligible Players
Only players from the participating NCAA D1 Teams are eligible to be drafted. Only players on the roster of the official website of an NCAA D1 Team are eligible to be drafted. You are able to draft:
a. All not-already-claimed players from the participating NCAA D1 Teams.
b. All incoming freshman to the participating NCAA D1 Teams.
c. All not-already-claimed players that are transferring to the participating NCAA D1 Teams.
I appreciate you quoting the drafting rules, as I have not read them :lol:

We do need to add a rule in case a team has not posted the current playing year roster yet. Selecting incoming freshman to that team (rule b) or transfers to that team are a conflict to "Only players on the roster of the official website of an NCAA D1 Team are eligible to be drafted." I believe this applies all freshman and transfers to:
Army
Fairfield
Notre Dame
Syracuse
Towson
Yale
Last edited by DU-fan on Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
greenielax

Post by greenielax »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:10 pm

Final drop but still picking up players, yes? If no, who am i missing?

Greenielax
1 Chris Connolly SR A Umass
2 Mike Hawkins SR A Notre Dame
3 Cam Rubin SO A Penn
4 Will Cory JR A UVA
5 Caleb Kueber SR A Denver
6 Peter Garno JR M UVA
8 Regan Quinn SR M UVA
9 David Lipka SR M Notre Dame
10 Jacob Buttermore SR M Syracuse
11 Mitch Bartolo SR M Rutgers
12 Jake Stevens SR M Princeton
14 Georgetown D
You've got this right--2 slots currently open (and I might drop another player still).

I looked back at the 2019 Draft thread pp.30-33, and the ruling was that a player was eligible to draft only at the point he appeared on a draft-eligible roster (with the exception of freshman on teams that hadn't yet posted a current roster). I express no opinion on changing the "rule," but we need clarity on what the rule is--as announced in the 2019 draft thread, or something different?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

greenielax wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:27 pmI express no opinion on changing the "rule," but we need clarity on what the rule is--as announced in the 2019 draft thread, or something different?
It's different. Too many rosters are too inaccurate to have this rule right now.
Caddy Day
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:41 pm
greenielax wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:27 pmI express no opinion on changing the "rule," but we need clarity on what the rule is--as announced in the 2019 draft thread, or something different?
It's different. Too many rosters are too inaccurate to have this rule right now.
Maybe that means we should be drafting in January then. I accept your decision on this.

Return to “D1 MENS FANTASY LACROSSE”