Food thread - All things food-related

General Chatter
youthathletics

Re: Food thread - All things food-related

Post by youthathletics »

While my son was in Cambodia a few years back, he said they had beetles on the bar as snacks and after dinner they roasted fire ants with eggs. :mrgreen:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:42 pm While my son was in Cambodia a few years back, he said they had beetles on the bar as snacks and after dinner they roasted fire ants with eggs. :mrgreen:
🤮If you want the real deal experience you gotta scarf down those fire ants while their alive and kicking. BTW how many fire ants does it take to make up a snack?
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Anyone got anything for cooking swap fillets? Indoors, nothing too exotic in terms of cooking tools or spices I have to go to a specialized store for.

Been trying to get more seafood into the diet in deeply landlocked Atlanta and picked these up, flash frozen, last weekend to cook up tomorrow or sometime this weekend.0
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:17 pm Anyone got anything for cooking swap fillets? Indoors, nothing too exotic in terms of cooking tools or spices I have to go to a specialized store for.

Been trying to get more seafood into the diet in deeply landlocked Atlanta and picked these up, flash frozen, last weekend to cook up tomorrow or sometime this weekend.0
WTH is a swap fillet?

You can never go wrong with fish taco's, just give them a quick sear with some olive oil and old bay. Heat up some corn tortillas real quick, dice up a bunch of fixins, maybe some homemade guac....I just use avocado, finely minced red onion, lemon or lime juice, a bit o' garlic, salt, and cayenne if you want a little heat. Grab a bag of key lime tortillas and you'll be a rockstar.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Sorry Swai-apparently spellcheck doesn’t recognize, am taking a afternoon break w my americano and phone fat finger typing
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:25 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:17 pm Anyone got anything for cooking swap fillets? Indoors, nothing too exotic in terms of cooking tools or spices I have to go to a specialized store for.

WTH is a swap fillet?

You can never go wrong with fish taco's, just give them a quick sear with some olive oil and old bay. Heat up some corn tortillas real quick, dice up a bunch of fixins, maybe some homemade guac....I just use avocado, finely minced red onion, lemon or lime juice, a bit o' garlic, salt, and cayenne if you want a little heat. Grab a bag of key lime tortillas and you'll be a rockstar.
Can do everything but avocado. On my do note touch list with Mayo and other white sauces as well as mustard and horseradish. Hence not into crab cakes. But have old bay (usually for shrimp boils/steam pots and related), got fresh limes already. White onions sitting here so while red would look better probably go w that. Then some hot sauce.

Was wondering about something with like hoisen or soy since it’s an Asian fish.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

DMac

Post by DMac »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:25 pm WTH is a swap fillet?
Well, if it's Asian they might've swapped real fish with damn near anything.
Throw a little fish sauce on it and it's all good.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

So fish on fish crime is what you are recommending?
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

glad to know yoose guys love seafood ~ these yokels in Lake Wobegone generally detest seafood though fresh water fish boil and lutefisk are considered special

Am watching NFL and having an especially flavorful dish of shrimp salad:

on a bowl of lettuce put some well boiled shrimp

then top it all with a sauce made of:

melted butter
garlic finely cut
lemon-pepper salt
turmeric
ginger-sesame-avocado sauce
Worcestershire sauce

heat all these ingredients on olive oil & it will be ready in only a matter of minutes ~ flavors will blend in with each other immediately

add mildly spiced guacamole on the side --- the amounts are strictly al gusto

fruit salad for dessert

Sooooo scrumptious that my tummy now feels like ten million bucks. Have to admit that my attention has been more on the tasty din din rather than the game.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

What are you talking about? Walleye is like life blood for minnesotans, along with ice fishing.

I loved going to this place called Tavern on Grand for their Walleye.
~Livy

44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:18 pm What are you talking about? Walleye is like life blood for minnesotans, along with ice fishing.

With wild rice?
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

44WeWantMore wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:57 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:18 pm What are you talking about? Walleye is like life blood for minnesotans, along with ice fishing.

With wild rice?
When I was going there years ago, I was more in to bar style food.....onion rings, fries, or red potatoes.
~Livy

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Walleye are fresh water fish, not sea food. Lake Wobegone yokels appreciate it in fish boils. But start steaming some shrimp and many will run out of the room. People here nearly puke when they see me eating sea weed. So narrow minded!
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
DMac

Post by DMac »

I like my sea weed smoked. :mrgreen:
Walleye are very tasty fish. Crazy good, actually.
Son's friend gave me a big one this summer, cooked
it up right nice and was blown away by how good it
was. Seems kinda nuts but don't think I had ever had
one before. They're in some of the Finger Lakes, but
not all.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Nobody’s gonna talk candy today? I plan on scraping a healthy tax when we get back from this crusade.

I left it to my kids to choose if they wanted Democrat taxes or Republican taxes.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:57 pm Nobody’s gonna talk candy today? I plan on scraping a healthy tax when we get back from this crusade.

I left it to my kids to choose if they wanted Democrat taxes or Republican taxes.
Let’s us know that goes....sounds fun, from afar! 🤣
~Livy

44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:57 pm Nobody’s gonna talk candy today? I plan on scraping a healthy tax when we get back from this crusade.

Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

44WeWantMore wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:32 pm

That’s great but it should read “my dawg”. I have a 15yr old Lhasa that’s so used to geting a little bit of meat whenever Hobart scores or had a takeaway in football or goal in lacrosse games that she wonders if the world shifted its axis if she doesn’t get hooked up.

Just put kids to bed. My daughter is way to hip or untrusting, she wrote an entire list and taped it to the wall then looked at me with her he’s titled to the side and goes “goodnight daddy”. Then my son watched the grand slam for the Braves and goes, “that should be worth some of Bridget’s candy” hops up and went to bed…
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Wegmans has walleye pike on a semi regular basis. It’s one of my favorites as it has firm yet flaky flesh and more flavor than other fish like cod. Bought it and made it last Saturday. Coated with EVOO and cooked skin side down on medium heat in cast iron until flesh becomes nearly opaque and flesh starts to separate then a quick flip for a few seconds and out.

Put it on top of julienned Brussels sprouts, bacon and shallots sautéed with I butter and splash of white wine along with pearl cous cous with small dice of carrot and shiitake served with a bottle of Greek white wine made from local Moschofilero grapes in the Peloponnese region.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”